PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau enters 50th NFL season

tony hipchest
08-10-2008, 01:42 AM
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_582050.html

great article. is there anyone more underappreciated in the nfl than lebeau? (i mean by anyone not a steelerfan?)

LeBeau, who turns 71 on Sept. 9, isn't the type to celebrate such milestones. When a reporter broached the topic, saying, "This is year 50, eh?" LeBeau smiled and said, "That's the rumor."

But forget 50 years. LeBeau estimates it has been 60 years since he spent a late summer doing anything but training for another football season. That would have been 1948 -- the year the NFL prohibited plastic helmets and equipped referees with whistles instead of horns.

Yes, LeBeau is perhaps the only man in football who can make Dick Hoak feel young.
Hoak, 68, retired in 2006 after 45 years in the Steelers organization. LeBeau just keeps on trucking, still without a plan to retire, still at the top of his game.

"Unreal," says former Steelers linebacker Kevin Greene, a volunteer assistant at training camp. "The stuff he has seen. The changes he has seen. The changes he has caused in the league. It's incredible."

No age limit

LeBeau is the oldest coordinator in the NFL, edging Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore, who turns 70 in November, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, who turned 68 in February

Players young and old revere him.

"I only saw him get mad one time in a game - the AFC Championship game at Denver (in 2005)," Farrior said. "I forget which defensive backs were out there, but they were celebrating or something, and he went crazy. I never saw him like that, ever."

Listen to the 46-year-old Greene, who thrived in LeBeau's "Blitzburgh" defense: "I don't tell too many guys I love them, but I tell him I love him. He has a heart of gold, as genuine a guy as there is."

Now listen to 22-year-old Lawrence Timmons, a second-year linebacker: "Coming in last year, I was making mistakes, and he was very patient and straight with me. You can't beat a straight-up guy. Those are always the most respected. I guess that's why so many people love him so much."

can ya feel the love? :hug:

:tt02:

The Cleveland Browns drafted LeBeau in the fifth round in 1959 (the year the Green Bay Packers hired Vince Lombardi as coach), then cut him.

:toofunny:

and who knew he was a stunt double for michael caine in 1970?

Steelman16
08-10-2008, 01:48 AM
Love ya LeBeau! Thanks for the memories, it's great havin' you in the B&G all these 50 years. Here's to many more!

:drink: :drink:

:hatsoff:

tony hipchest
08-10-2008, 02:04 AM
actually, it was a fantastic article. im gonna make a semi-bold prediction.

coach lebeau will be the 1st assistant coach elected into the pro football Hall of Fame.

i pray that its not posthumously, because the man deserves it already.

MACH1
08-10-2008, 02:17 AM

coach lebeau will be the 1st assistant coach elected into the pro football Hall of Fame.

Yes he does. The impact in the NFL because of his D, copycat or fear warrant it.

redst3
08-10-2008, 02:56 AM

You are absolutely right! He also had a great career a player with the Lions.

From Wikipedia:

He was a leading interceptor, with 62 career interceptions for 762 return yards and 3 touchdowns, and holds the NFL record for consecutive game appearances for a cornerback with 171. He also recovered 9 fumbles, returning them for 53 yards and a touchdown.

Aussie_steeler
08-10-2008, 04:29 AM

I had the same thought in my head as I read the first post only to see you make your prediction.

He will be elected for his total contribution to the NFL as a player,assistant coach and head coach. His longevity also contains a fair amount of quality and substance with it. You cant begrudge the man because of who he was unfortunate to be head coach of.

Bring on the HOF some day.

Galax Steeler
08-10-2008, 05:47 AM
All I can say is he is one hell of a cordinater probably the best in the business hope he is arouond for a long time.

Texasteel
08-10-2008, 06:21 AM

3 thoughts

It will have to be posthumously, the mans going to dye at work.
I would like to see them wave the 5 year waiting period.
They are going to have to add a wing just for the Steelers.

19ward86
08-10-2008, 11:01 AM
I wish he coached my highschool football team. lol.

tony hipchest
08-10-2008, 01:10 PM
I had the same thought in my head as I read the first post only to see you make your prediction.

He will be elected for his total contribution to the NFL as a player,assistant coach and head coach. His longevity also contains a fair amount of quality and substance with it. You cant begrudge the man because of who he was unfortunate to be head coach of.

Bring on the HOF some day.its a shame. 2 important points from the article-

his newly invented defense helped stymie the 49ers vaunted west coast offense in the superbowl at the peak of their dynasty.

Like Moore and Kiffin, LeBeau wins a lot, excluding his three-year run (2000-02) as the Cincinnati Bengals' head coach, when he was 12-33. In his two stints as a defensive coach with the Steelers - 1992-97 and 2004-present - they are 118-60, including playoffs. Without him, they are 52-45-1. steelers have shown to be great with him and average w/o. and that has stood the test of time.

the bengals suck.

The Duke
08-10-2008, 01:43 PM
what's his secret though. he looks nothing like a 70 year old

hopefully we have him for many more years

and who cares about his bad days with the bungles, they suck!!

stlrtruck
08-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Hey let's all celebrate in Tampa in February!!!!

Now that would be a way to cap off the 50th year in the league.

jtdapit
08-11-2008, 03:15 PM
C'mon it's about time he gets the credit he deserves. He was insane on defense for the lions, and he's the inventor of the zone blitz. He's the father of most nfl defenses today. Hall of fame. No doubt in my mind.

Stlrs4Life
08-11-2008, 03:36 PM
All I can say is he is one hell of a cordinater probably the best in the business hope he is arouond for a long time.

Same here. He's a legend.

SteelMember
08-11-2008, 03:37 PM
LeBeau was definately missed when he left. I was more than glad to get him and the Biltzburgh "Zone Blitz" defense back.
C'mon it's about time he gets the credit he deserves. He was insane on defense for the lions, and he's the inventor of the zone blitz. He's the father of most nfl defenses today. Hall of fame. No doubt in my mind.:thumbsup:

"Show Dick some respect" - Andrew

HometownGal
08-11-2008, 08:01 PM
xfl2001fan,

Sorry - I accidentally edited your post when I was posting my reply in this thread. A thousand pardons! :nw:

Well - at least I was able to salvage the portions of it that I replied to. :doh:

I am not questioning his HoF Credentials. So please, don't take this as such. He won't make it to the HoF as a coordinator. He might...maybe...have a chance as a player.

I believe if any modern era DC makes it to the Great Hall, it will be Dad Lebeau. As Stlrs4life so correctly stated, he is a legend not only here in Pittsburgh, but in the NFL. We as Steelers fans are truly blessed (as is the Steelers organization) to have had this fine man and outstanding DC coaching our men in the black 'n gold for all of the seasons he has. :thumbsup::tt02:

Congratulations Di ck (I mean Mr. Lebeau, xflfan, not you. )! :wink02::chuckle:

Ray Guy is the one guy EVERY punter strives to be. Even if you can't name 1 punter on an NFL team other than your own, you've still probably heard of Ray Guy.

Do you know that Ray Guy has never had a punt blocked? Oops - nevermind - yes he has. My bad - that was Chris Gardocki. :tomato::tomato::chuckle:

xfl2001fan
08-11-2008, 08:09 PM
xfl2001fan,

Sorry - I accidentally edited your post when I was posting my reply in this thread. A thousand pardons! :nw:

It's all good, we can take some of those points and make them again. I still have nothing but love for ya! :hug:

I believe if any modern era DC makes it to the Great Hall, it will be Dad Lebeau. As Stlrs4life so correctly stated, he is a legend not only here in Pittsburgh, but in the NFL. We as Steelers fans are truly blessed (as is the Steelers organization) to have had this fine man and outstanding DC coaching our men in the black 'n gold for all of the seasons he has. :thumbsup::tt02:

There is no doubting his credentials as a DC...however, he'll be overlooked because of his lack of HC for too long until the jacka$$e$ on the HoF Committee are replaced. They open their mouths and I see their lips moving, but all I hear is HEEHAW

Do you know that Ray Guy has never had a punt blocked? Oops - nevermind - yes he has. My bad - that was Chris Gardocki. :tomato::tomato::chuckle:

Ray Guy and Bob Bullet Hayes both need to go in...but Ray won't get there because he's "just a punter" and Bob won't get there because of his personal life after football. Nevermind that he absolutely changed the way defenses were played, because he couldn't be covered by any one guy.

The HoF is a sham IMO. There are 5 Olineman on the field for every 1 QB and 1 HB. There are more than twice as many QBs or HBs as OL in the HoF. Hardly justice. This is why I don't believe I'll live to see the day that Di ck gets in as a coordinator.

Steel Pit
08-11-2008, 11:36 PM
The knock on Lebeau, the player, is that he was a soft defender, typically shied away from contact. Another discredit that I've heard is that Lebeau benefited from playing in a secondary that included Dick "Night Train" Lane.

I say bologna but my opinion won't get him any HOF votes.

Scalaid6
08-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Dick Lebeau, is the MAN! Dont forget he was the D-Cordinator for the Bengals and SHOULDA won a SB with them had it not been for Montana and Rice/Taylors late game herorics.

Welcome To Smashmouth
08-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Just amazing if you ask me. Hopefully his defensive schemes stay as fresh as can be -- hell, the guy still looks 50 so hopefully he's got a lot of successful years left in Da 'Burgh

Lord Stiller
08-13-2008, 02:02 PM
I have a ton of respect for Coach LeBeau. He should be in the hall of fame for his overall contribution to the NFL (very good player and one of the best defensive coordinators ever)

I'll never forget when i got to high-5 Coach Lebeau during the SB XL victory parade downtown in the Gateway Plaza. The thing is he was the most excited, happy person in the parade even moreso than any of the players.

He is the man! :tt02: