PDA

View Full Version : Injury to Steelers' Mundy may be serious

GeneralRobinson
08-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Injury to Steelers' Mundy may be serious
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ryan Mundy has had several MRIs taken on his lower left leg and the rookie free safety said he may find out later today if he suffered a serious injury in the Steelers' preseason opener Friday night.
Mundy, a Woodland Hills graduate, left the Steelers' 16-10 win over the Eagles early in the second quarter with what coach Mike Tomlin later called a minor shin injury.

Mundy, however, is wearing a plastic boot on his left foot and said his lower left leg "is pretty sore right now."

Mundy, a sixth-round draft pick, said his left foot got caught in the turf at Heinz Field when one of the Eagles' offensive linemen hit him as he was getting up after making a tackle.

He said it was a cheap shot.
"The play was clearly over. He came in and hit me for no reason," Mundy said. "It was pretty bad when I saw it on film. I'm just hoping for the best right now."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_582134.html

HANDSWARD
08-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Don't like hearing this. I liked this late pick and was hoping it panned out to the point that we wouldn't have to see Anthony Smith ever take the field again.

Hapa
08-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Yea I remember that hit. The play was already over for at least 2 seconds, and a linemen came up and knocked him over.

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I've been wondering about him and this is the first I've seen a update.

Prok
08-10-2008, 02:42 PM
I don't think the injury is too serious. I could be wrong tho. Why the heck would they need that many MRI's?

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah, play was over and a late hit.

Looked like it put stress on the ankle or fibula. Hopefully he is OK. Otherwise, can he be put on injured reserve or just released and signed to the PS after camp and do a season of rehab??

Black@Gold Forever32
08-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I liked the potential of Mundy...Was rooting for him to make the team....I see the Anthony Smith hate fest continues with some fans.....The kid has made some mistakes and yea he shouldn't be blasting his own team mates in practice.....But if he was such a problem as some of you proclaimed then I'm sure he would have been gone by now...

But Smith still has potential and all he needs is to harness his aggression and get his head out of his behind at times.......

I don't think Smith is a FS....I think strong safety is a better fit for him.....But Troy mans that spot....

xfl2001fan
08-10-2008, 04:32 PM
The NFL needs to adopt a better penalty system. If a player takes a cheap shot (which that obviously was) and hurts another player, they should be suspended for twice as many games as injured player is out.

Edman
08-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Damnit. I think he was going to be coming along nicely. I hope he's alright.

missedgehead
08-10-2008, 06:26 PM
That is awful. I do think there should be a harsher penalty for late hits.

19ward86
08-10-2008, 07:25 PM
I like this kid and i hope he is ok in the long run.

Steelman16
08-10-2008, 09:39 PM
I hope it's not serious. I really like this kid.

lilyoder6
08-10-2008, 11:16 PM
i hope he isn't that injured.. i was hoping he would take over carter's spot as the back-up safety..

redst3
08-11-2008, 04:38 AM
I don't think there was even a flag thrown when it happened. To make matters worse, he was on the ground with his legs pinned.

Galax Steeler
08-11-2008, 05:12 AM
I think cheap shots should be looked at and dealt with accordingly I was wanting to see what this cat had maybe it wont be to bad.

SteelMember
08-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Definately a late hit. He looked to be getting up after his initial tackle. I think the grass helped. If it happened on an artificial surface, his cleats would stuck more and the injury would have been even worse.

2-3 weeks with a sprain will his best senario. Unless it's worse than they're letting on.(MRI's) I think we are pretty thin at saftey. He needs to get healthy, otherwise they may be giving Lorello a call.

Lord Stiller
08-11-2008, 10:02 AM
bad news. I was hoping that Mundy would take Tyrone 'trash can' Carter's roster spot

Dino 6 Rings
08-11-2008, 10:07 AM
I hope the bastrad that hit this kid late gets a fine and a suspension. It was a very dirty play and there was no flag because the refs were busy pulling people off the pile. I bet the NFL looks at the tape and fines the Olineman for piling on.

millwalldavey
08-11-2008, 10:15 AM
I hope the bastrad that hit this kid late gets a fine and a suspension. It was a very dirty play and there was no flag because the refs were busy pulling people off the pile. I bet the NFL looks at the tape and fines the Olineman for piling on.

"Good Karma. Bad Karma. You'll get what you deserve!"

Stlrs4Life
08-11-2008, 05:02 PM
It's a high ankle sprain, he wore a protective boot today. But none the lessd will be missing the next 2 pre season games, which is alot for a rookie to miss.

The Duke
08-11-2008, 05:05 PM
It's a high ankle sprain, he wore a protective boot today. But none the lessd will be missing the next 2 pre season games, which is alot for a rookie to miss.

exactly, this could hurt his chances. hopefully he gets better by the 4th game and plays amazingly

and he could still end up in the practice squad....

fansince'76
08-11-2008, 05:07 PM
exactly, this could hurt his chances. hopefully he gets better by the 4th game and plays amazingly

and he could still end up in the practice squad....

You kidding? Mundy's roster spot is already assured because Anthony Smith sucks so bad. :chuckle:

The Duke
08-11-2008, 05:24 PM
You kidding? Mundy's roster spot is already assured because Anthony Smith sucks so bad. :chuckle:

oh yeah I forgot, he shall be cut!! :chuckle:

fansince'76
08-11-2008, 05:33 PM
oh yeah I forgot, he shall be cut!! :chuckle:

And it'll be Willie's fault! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

The Duke
08-11-2008, 05:36 PM
And it'll be Willie's fault! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

or is it arians fault? :tap:

HometownGal
08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Mundy better be careful here. He could lose his roster spot - after all, he isn't getting any older. (lol).....:cheer:.....YAY!

The Duke
08-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Mundy better be careful here. He could lose his roster spot - after all, he isn't getting any older. (lol).....:cheer:.....YAY!

I hear 23 is the new 30 :laughing:

SteelerFanInCA
08-11-2008, 06:56 PM
I was looking forward to seeing this kid play. Hopefully the injury is not too serious and heals up.

lilyoder6
08-11-2008, 07:14 PM
i think carter's play alone should say that we should keep mundy over him... but new young players will get a lot of playing time when mundy's out as well