PDA

View Full Version : With Batch out, Steelers agree to terms with Leftwich

fordfan485
08-10-2008, 05:38 PM
nfldotcom/news/story?id=09000d5d809ea7d8&template=with-video&confirm=true

Looking for a veteran backup quarterback, the Pittsburgh Steelers have agreed to terms on a contract with Byron Leftwich, the team announced on Sunday. Terms of the deal were undisclosed.

The Steelers moved quickly to add help at quarterback after backup quarterback Charlie Batch broke his right collarbone in the preseason opener against the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday. Batch will have surgery on Monday and is expected to miss four to six weeks.

Jacksonville cut Leftwich just before the start of the season a year ago, and he signed with Atlanta in September. He played in only three games due in part to an ankle injury.

Information from the Associated Press was included in this report

fordfan485
08-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Here is another article from ESPN

The Steelers filled two injury-created needs Sunday by reaching agreements with quarterback Byron Leftwich and punter Mitch Berger.

Leftwich

Leftwich
Leftwich signed a one-year, $605,000 deal to join the Steelers. Because he signed for a minimum exception contract, the deal will only count $445,000 on the Steelers salary cap. Leftwich was chosen over Daunte Culpepper, who also visited the Steelers Sunday.

The need for a backup quarterback was created when backup Charlie Batch suffered a broken right collarbone Friday night against the Philadelphia Eagles. Batch is expected to be sidelined four-to-six weeks.

The reason the Steelers picked Leftwich over Culpepper is because Leftwich felt more comfortable with the role the Steelers were offering. Ben Roethlisberger is the starter and Batch is expected to be the backup when he gets healthy again. Culpepper was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting job.

Berger agreed to a one-year, $830,000 contract. Punter Danny Sepulveda suffered a torn ACL and is out for the season. The Steelers claimed Paul Ernster on waivers from Detroit last week. Berger's deal will only count $445,000 against the Steelers salary cap.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

sports.espn.go

.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3528603

X-Terminator
08-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Here's a Post-Gazette link, before this site's credibility is called into question again:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08223/903337-66.stm

Leftwich signs as backup Steelers quarterback
Sunday, August 10, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers signed Byron Leftwich to be their backup quarterback, choosing him over Daunte Culpepper after bringing both veteran quarterbacks to training camp today.

Leftwich (6-5, 242) and Culpepper (6-4, 260) each passed physicals in Pittsburgh this morning and reported to training camp in Latrobe for individual workouts while the Steelers debated which quarterback to sign.

The move to sign Leftwich, a former No. 1 pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars, was necessitated when Charlie Batch, 33, broke his right collarbone in Friday night's preseason opener against the Philadelphia Eagles, a 16-13 victory.

Batch will have surgery tomorrow that will keep him out a minimum six weeks.

Also, nose tackle Casey Hampton was taken off the physically unable to perform list today and joined his teammates for his first practice since reporting to training camp 40 pounds overweight.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

RunWillieRun
08-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Yay...leftwich

/sarcasm

X-Terminator
08-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Yay...leftwich

/sarcasm

And I'm still waiting for you or anyone else to tell me who out there is better that the Steelers could bring in as the backup. Please do not mention Dixon - he clearly is NOT ready to assume that role no matter how much people try to talk him up.

Sheesh, you guys act like we're replacing Ben for crying out loud!

billybob
08-10-2008, 05:58 PM
A lot of speculation has been shown.espn never lies.

fansince'76
08-10-2008, 06:00 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee80/neutronjohn/iwanttobelieve_Mulder-FOX.jpg

:couch:

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 06:08 PM
And I'm still waiting for you or anyone else to tell me who out there is better that the Steelers could bring in as the backup. Please do not mention Dixon - he clearly is NOT ready to assume that role no matter how much people try to talk him up.

Sheesh, you guys act like we're replacing Ben for crying out loud!

I'm actually impressed that the Steelers went for who are probably the two best available options out there. Like X said, they not replacing Ben, for crying out loud. Nobody would expect them to replace Ben with Charlie.

And Culpepper wanted to compete for the starting position??????? What planet has he been living on??????? :toofunny:

19ward86
08-10-2008, 06:25 PM
At least they didnt overpay him.

fordfan485
08-10-2008, 06:44 PM
And Culpepper wanted to compete for the starting position??????? What planet has he been living on??????? :toofunny:

Yea thats the same thing that went thru my mind when I read that part. :rofl:

steelreserve
08-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Leftwich signed a one-year, $605,000 deal to join the Steelers. Because he signed for a minimum exception contract, the deal will only count $445,000 on the Steelers salary cap.

Well, that alone makes it about as good a deal as you can get for a backup quarterback. $450,000 usually won't even get you a third-string long snapper.

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Straight form the horses mouth.......steelers.com.

Steelers sign QB Byron Leftwich
Sunday, August 10, 2008
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

LATROBE – A couple of veteran NFL quarterbacks who previously had said they were interested in signing with a team where they would have a chance to compete for a starting job were here today going through a workout in the hopes of becoming Ben Roethlisberger’s backup.

Daunte Culpepper and Byron Leftwich went through a Sunday morning workout for a Steelers team looking for a veteran quarterback after Charlie Batch broke his right collarbone in the preseason opener on Aug. 8 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Following the workout, the Steelers went to work with the agents for both players, and it was shortly after the team’s only practice of the day at Saint Vincent College that Coach Mike Tomlin announced Leftwich had signed.

“We made an agreement with Byron Leftwich to sign and be a quarterback with the Pittsburgh Steelers,” said Tomlin. “We have some familiarity there, because Ken Anderson, our quarterbacks coach, worked with him down in Jacksonville.”

A former No. 1 pick of the Jaguars in 2003, Leftwich has completed 58.6 percent of his passes over 49 career NFL games for 9,321 yards, with 52 touchdowns, 38 interceptions and a career passer rating of 79.7.

During his three seasons as the Jaguars primary starting quarterback, Leftwich was a part of a team that improved from 5-11 in 2003 to 9-7 and then to 12-4 in 2005.

“He’s a young guy, had a great workout here this afternoon, is very lean, looks to be in great shape,” said Tomlin. “He’s a smart guy, a been-there, done-that guy. He’s been a franchise quarterback for a playoff-caliber team. We’re fortunate to be able to add a guy like him to the mix, and we look forward to putting him in the group as quickly as we can. Hopefully we can have him up to snuff so he can participate as soon as Thursday night in Toronto (vs. the Buffalo Bills).”

Leftwich, 28, lost out in a head-to-head battle with David Garrard last September to be the Jaguars starter, and then he signed with Atlanta, which was in need of quarterback help after Michael Vick went to prison on dog-fighting and related charges.

Leftwich played in only a few games and was released by the Falcons after the 2007 season, and he was out of football until signing with the Steelers today. When asked why he thought Leftwich was out of football, Tomlin said, “Your guess is as good as mine, based on what I saw today.”

After becoming the Jaguars starter three games into his rookie season, Leftwich began to have injury problems. He missed three games in 2004 with a knee injury, five games in 2005 with an ankle injury and then 10 games in 2006 with an injury to the same ankle.

As for Batch, Tomlin had said immediately after the game against the Eagles that Batch would miss four-to-six weeks and he would not be placed on the injured reserve list. But with surgery scheduled for Monday at noon, Tomlin said the team will know more about Batch’s prognosis once the procedure is done.

“We’re just going to let the play talk,” said Tomlin about whether Leftwich will have a chance to take the backup job away from Batch. “You know how we do it. We’re going to evaluate what we see based on performance. At this point, (Leftwich) is a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. We have a level of expectation, he has a level of expectation. Hopefully they meet and he goes out and plays well and then those are good problems to have, problems we’ll address at the appropriate time.”

The Steelers also added competition at punter with the signing of veteran Mitch Berger.

Berger, 36, is a 12-year veteran from Colorado, who has 730 career punts for five different teams. He has a career net average of 43.1 yards with 233 inside the 20 and 72 touchbacks. The 6-4, 228 Berger has a career net average of 35.9 yards.

“Mitch Berger was brought in to compete with Paul Ernster,” said Tomlin. “It’s important that we have two veteran guys who have kicked in the National Football League. They’re going to battle it out, kick for kick, over the next few weeks, and whoever our punter is will have earned it. I think that’s important.

To make room on the roster for Leftwich and Berger, the Steelers waived WR Garran Walker and LB Anthony Trucks.

The other roster move made on Sunday was the activation of four-time Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton from the physically unable to perform list. Hampton had spent two weeks on PUP after failing the team’s conditioning test on July 27.

“It was a Sunday the day we reported to camp and put him on PUP,” said Tomlin. “We met last Sunday and evaluated the progress, met again today and evaluated the progress. We felt it was up to snuff, very impressed. He’s down a significant amount of weight and he’s ready to go. By no means is it a finished product. You’ll see he’ll continue to get extra work after practice as we continue to push to where we want to be. The only emphasis is to make sure he’s the most dominant nose tackle in football. I like where we are. We’re on the planet and moving in that direction.”

INJURY REPORT: DE Kyle Clement (knee) will have an MRI on Monday; ILB Mike Humpal (stinger) originally was injured against the Eagles, and when he tried to return to practice he re-injured it; C Justin Hartwig (knee) had some discomfort and is expected to return on Monday: FS Ryan Mundy (high ankle) was in a protective boot and may miss the next two preseason games; OT Jeremy Parquet (foot) is day-to-day.

rick723
08-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Charlie Batch, heal fast and get this guy out of a Steeler Uniform

The Duke
08-10-2008, 07:04 PM
So it's ben-leftwich- dixon. cool, at least till batch comes back

FS Ryan Mundy (high ankle) was in a protective boot and may miss the next two preseason games;

damn, that could really hurt his chances to make the team

get better muny

chaniel
08-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Haha...now we have two MAC QBs...Im so glad its Leftwich and not Culpepper.

Edman
08-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Culpepper wanted a starting job?:toofunny: If that's true, he's smoked too much monkey pole.:rofl:

fansince'76
08-10-2008, 07:18 PM
The reason the Steelers picked Leftwich over Culpepper is because Leftwich felt more comfortable with the role the Steelers were offering. Ben Roethlisberger is the starter and Batch is expected to be the backup when he gets healthy again. Culpepper was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting job.

Which begs the question why did Culpepper even get on the plane to Pittsburgh to begin with? I think the situation was pretty clear that the Steelers were looking for an emergency backup with NFL experience, and nothing more.

Glace
08-10-2008, 07:20 PM
"Ok Daunte...You need to understand you're coming in here to be a backup.."

"Umm..I want a chance to take Ben's job away...I'm here to compete. I'm a STARTING QB!!!"

"....Ok, you lose...We're going to sign Leftwich"

The Duke
08-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Which begs the question why did Culpepper even get on the plane to Pittsburgh to begin with? I think the situation was pretty clear that the Steelers were looking for an emergency backup with NFL experience, and nothing more.

well....culepepper's never proved to be too smart :flap:

but what is he thinking, if the dolphins and raiders don't want you as their QB and you get no offers from any team, then you gotta take what they are giving you here, and that is a backup job. knucklehead

rbryan
08-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Too late..he's already got the uniform. Time to deal with it. I never liked this guy but a big part of that was because he played for the Jags.

I feel a whole lot better about him than Batch and Dixon put together. Face it CB is done. If his Tommy Maddox immitation the other night didn't prove that to you, then the broken collar bone makes it a moot point. CB won't be back......mark it down.

Leftwich has had just enough humble pie force fed to him to be in the best shape since he was drafted. Wearing the B&G is only going to improve his attitude.

I know this...I'd get him in the game for at least 3 or 4 plays against the jags this year. Put him on special teams...whatever...should be good for a laugh if nothing else.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-10-2008, 08:13 PM
I love Leftwich, but cant understand why he sucked in Atlanta when they had no options.....maybe not enough time to work in the system. The guy is a touch player and leader, that apparently is OK with being the #2 guy.

Leftwich might spell the end of Batch and even Dixon if they want to keep 2 guys. I still see them keeping Dixon as the backup of the future, while Leftwich will want to play a couple seasons and go somewhere where he can compete for a job.

redst3
08-10-2008, 08:18 PM
He's a Steeler now and i am willing to give the man a chance.

Steelman16
08-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Looks like Daunte's ego didn't shrink none, so we took the better option.

I'm looking forward to seeing Leftwhich perform during the rest of the preseason, and become a viable and solid option for backup quarterback. As stated elsewhere in this thread, I think this will be the end of Charlie Batch. Batch is a great guy off the field, but he doesn't have much left in the tank for us on the field, IMO.

If Leftwhich is completely healthy, which it sounds like he is, I think he'll do fine, and perhaps excell here. If he shines, we could possibly even get something like a 4-5th round draft pick of him before we're done.

If he earns a roster spot, I don't think we'll have to worry too much about that position.

fordfan485
08-10-2008, 08:57 PM
I think Leftwich gets a bad rap for what happened in Atlanta last year. Face it that team was a soup-sandwich. Their head coach quit before the season ended, all that drama with Vick, and just plain sucking to begin with as a unit. I dont ever remeber Charlie Batch doing all that well with the lions.

Tankus_Maximus
08-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Ah chingado....Pinche Leftwich.

Perhaps Tomlin & Co. chose fatass Leftwich over DC to help shore up the O-Line??

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 09:31 PM
I guess they forgot to tell Duante before he left that he was trying out for the job of carrying Ben's jockstrap. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
08-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Ah chingado....Pinche Leftwich.

Perhaps Tomlin & Co. chose fatass Leftwich over DC to help shore up the O-Line??appearantly lefty is bens size now at 245. i think i read daunte was 260.

Texasteel
08-10-2008, 09:37 PM
They had to do something, and probably took the best option. This is not a rebuilding team, and if Ben gos down or needs a rest I would not want to see Dixon on the field. We got lucky with Ben but Dixon is no Big Ben.
I beleave that this team will be a playoff team and Leftwich would be by far more likly to take us there than Dixon if the unthinkable happened.

BlastFurnace
08-10-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm really happy to see the Steelers act decisively and quickly to get a viable backup in place after the Batch injury. They went out and got a former starter and someone who could step in and play capably. This is a team that still has a window of opportunity and it's nice to see that the team isn't just going to roll the dice and hope Ben doesn't get hurt before Batch comes back.

I also like to see them bringing in another punter in Berger to challenge Ernster. Tomlin is showing that he is always looking to upgrade the roster.

I loved the Cowher years and what Bill brought, but I really like everything I have seen in Tomlin as well....other than his in-game challenges....but I think that will improve this season as well.

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I loved the Cowher years and what Bill brought, but I really like everything I have seen in Tomlin as well....other than his in-game challenges....but I think that will improve this season as well.

It can't get much worse. :chuckle:

lilyoder6
08-10-2008, 10:12 PM
i would mnd to see dixon go in 4 ben when we are up in a game,, i think he can manage a game very well

Scalaid6
08-10-2008, 10:30 PM
I dont. I think Dixon looked greener than his former uniform. I think we need a veteran behind Ben. Ben like to run alot, hes a wreckless QB so he will get nicked up from time to time and I'm not comfortable with Dixon as his backup, NOR LEFTWICH. That loooong wind up like Dontrelle Willis is ugly. I would much rather have had Culpepper, hes more accurate and a better QB. I remember when Ben had the motorcycle wreck "you know who" was calling. That would be TAMMY MADDOX. I'm glad the Steelers brass changed the number.

Dynasty
08-10-2008, 11:09 PM
I like that we were proactive enough to pick up a vet before it became a major issue. I know someone suggested in another thread that we should just sign someone if Ben gets injured, but the FO made the right move here. And Leftwich will be a good fit for us if necessary.

klick81
08-10-2008, 11:21 PM
I like how Leftwich plays, and is apparently the best option out there. Good move by the front office IMO. Now I wonder if he actually poses any danger to Charlie's future???

CantStop85
08-10-2008, 11:35 PM
He may not be that great of a pro QB, but the man is tough.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/pkg/ncf/100/top_plays_100.jpg

Scalaid6
08-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Guess we will have to wait and see. One thing I have learned is that the Steelers front office, make more good moves than bad ones.

Davison_K
08-11-2008, 01:44 AM
I really don't see why so many of you are down on Leftwich. I don't think the Steelers could have signed anyone better than him. He is a pretty good qb and it seems like he may have lost some weight. I think he is a more than capable back-up and def. adds some depth at a position where I don't mind having it. Ben is willing to sacrifice his body to make a play and I love that about him, but it does mean you need to have a higher caliber backup in case something were to (i am biting my tongue, I feel like i have sinned already by thinking it) I feel Leftwich is a mid-teer qb just like CB is. Someonoe who had a few decent years but nothing too exceptional, but can def. step-up if needed.

Great signing by the FO.

Steely McSmash
08-11-2008, 02:43 AM
Looks like a good deal to me. If we put Batch on PUP to start, does that buy any roster spots for the team?

Galax Steeler
08-11-2008, 04:21 AM
Culpepper wanted a starting job?:toofunny: If that's true, he's smoked too much monkey pole.:rofl:

I have to agree also that is funny a starting job.:toofunny::toofunny:

Edman
08-11-2008, 04:55 AM
Leftwich may not be anyone special, but then again neither was Charlie when he came here. What are you expecting? Peyton Manning at backup? As long as Byron embraces his backup role, I'll accept him. And it looks like he is. It was Culpepper that had the delusion that he's a starting QB, not Byron.

Besides, it's very likely he'll be cut when Charlie comes back, but then how do we know if Batch has anything left in the tank or if he'll be back in playing form when he returns?

GBMelBlount
08-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Scalaid
I dont. I think Dixon looked greener than his former uniform.

I guess we should've traded up and got Flacco in the first (who was simply outstanding in his first appearance :chuckle: ) instead of wasting a late round pick like we did.

I'm going to at least give the guy some time to learn the system and get comfortable. It's not easy being green.

HometownGal
08-11-2008, 06:43 AM
I'm just fine with the Steelers choosing Leftwich over Culpepper, though I felt DC was the better choice. Leftwich is a more than capable backup to Ben and it appears he knows his role on the team and is comfortable with that.

Prok
08-11-2008, 06:50 AM
I wanted Culpepper as well. Strictly because i felt he was a better fit due to our O-line issues recently.

But i'm happy with Leftwich too. I was never really that impressed with Batch to begin with. Always seemed to have a string of incompletions followed by a nice throw then back to the string again. But eh, what can ya expect out of a backup?

Scalaid6
08-11-2008, 06:52 AM
instead of wasting a late round pick like we did.

By wasting a 1st round pick are you referring to mendenhall? I certainly dont think that was a wasted pick. Is he raw? Yes, but with time I think he will be the power, speed back we want on 3rd downs. He needs to learn to get his pads down and that will come. He is probably overwhelmed by the "moment", He sure didnt run with that style in college, once he gets used to the pro game watch the difference.

SteelMember
08-11-2008, 07:19 AM
Probably the best we could have done. 4 weeks from now, after every other team has made their cuts, there would be more options, but we need 4 qb's in training camp. That is the bottom line.

Another year proves costly for letting St. Pierre go. I always thought he would have been a good backup.

Scalaid6
08-11-2008, 07:30 AM
I'm sorry St. Pierre is what he is, a 3rd stringer. Theres a reason he has always been one in Pittsburgh, Arizona and Baltimore

SteelMember
08-11-2008, 07:41 AM
I'm sorry St. Pierre is what he is, a 3rd stringer. Theres a reason he has always been one in Pittsburgh, Arizona and Baltimore

He knows the playbook. That's the extra value and why we always gave him a call. It's not his fault he didn't want to spend his career on the practice squad while they entertained the possibilities of guys like Jacobs and Zabransky.

43Hitman
08-11-2008, 07:52 AM
I'm just fine with the Steelers choosing Leftwich over Culpepper, though I felt DC was the better choice. Leftwich is a more than capable backup to Ben and it appears he knows his role on the team and is comfortable with that.

Yeah I said the same thing in another thead, however DC wanting to compete for the starting job is clearly the reason we didn't sign him. We don't need a head case as a back-up. Leftwich is smart enough to know his role, thus becoming the better guy for the job.

stlrtruck
08-11-2008, 08:26 AM
For those thinking we should have taken Culpepper, you've obviously forgotten about his performance in Miami a few years ago. He looked lost at best and only occassionally showed glimpses of his previous self.

As for Leftwich, we know he's tough but even he has lost his touch over the last few years. Really, I would have rather gone with Dixon (if Ben were to go down) and let him earn his hypocloids.

But that's just me.

Dino 6 Rings
08-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Byron will be a fine back-up and will do his job well late in games where we have a lead of handing the ball off and throwing quick slants to move the sticks. That's all we need at this point. If Ben goes down, Byron may be good enough to not lose games for us. That's all that is important. Manage the game, allow the running game and play making recievers the opportunity to win the games and have the defense step up. That's it. I like the signing as well because now we have the Jags offensive playbook. That'll be interesting to see how we handle them this season. Think the Jags are a little put off by us signing their previous starters? I bet they are.

Counselor
08-11-2008, 09:01 AM
I wanted Culpepper as well. Strictly because i felt he was a better fit due to our O-line issues recently.

No way, DC's never been the same after the knee and is way less mobile. He would be worse behind an o-line with potential issues.

I think Leftwich is a perfect option. He's a decent QB, who understands his limits and works pretty well within a system. And he seems to be capable of accepting that he will be no more than QB2 in Pittsburgh.

I'm pleased the Steelers went for a proved QB. Dixon may have potential, he's no where near ready to be #1 back-up. Remember, the back-up is always one play away.

You guys want to hear a real joke? Someone called into one of the radio programs Saturday to suggest that Tommy Maddox should be called in. The person was completely serious!

millwalldavey
08-11-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm very comfortable with him for a few games as a backup.

lilyoder6
08-11-2008, 11:05 AM
i dont think DC has been the same since moss left him and he left the vikings.. he has never had a deep threat like moss since then..

revefsreleets
08-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Hopefully this only becomes what it's intended to be: Insurance.

Scalaid6
08-11-2008, 12:27 PM
For someone to suggest that we keep St. Pierre merely because he knows the playbook is laughable. How many reps in a real game did that distinction earn him? In regards to Culpepper, someone said he was not the same without Moss, this is true but look at Tom Brady without Randy Moss. Brady NEVER put up the kind of numbers he did last season until he got Moss, I think its not accident that the 2 biggest offensive outputs ever in the NFL (Minn/Pats) starred Mr. Moss. I'm no Moss fan but I give credit where credit is due.

Glace
08-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Tommy Maddox....HAH...HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!

And yeah...DC is nothing without Moss. Moss didn't even run routes in Minnesota...."DC deep to Moss...TD!!"

Lord Stiller
08-11-2008, 12:59 PM
we just signed a free agent who is better than all 3 of the Raven's qbs

LMAO

tony hipchest
08-11-2008, 01:05 PM
batch- $2 mil/ year in the final year of his contract.

Leftwich- $605,000 for 1 year.

if leftwich is willing to extend for 3 years 6 mil. batch may have taken his final snap as a steeler. nothing against batch, but its simple economics. if nothing it gives us leverage to reduce batch's contract if we wanna keep him beyond this season.

great pick up by the steelers. we lose our #2 qb and possibly get better and richer.

millwalldavey
08-11-2008, 01:09 PM
I have no problem at all with the signing of a former starter, not to mention one who was rather successful.

Scalaid6
08-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Eventually Batch knew he would have to take a paycut. The reality is this, the guy is older, he contributes less so what woud warrant more or equal value of his current contract? I dont think Batch is going anywhere. If he comes back and proves hes is healed, I see no reason for him not to be in a position to fight for his #2 spot again. What he has to worry about is the development of Dixon. In Batchs' absence, if Dixon takes off, or shows some promise, that will be the nail in the coffin for the aging Qb.

LVSteelersfan
08-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Culpepper's a moron if he actually thought he could compete for a starting job in Pittsburgh. What a delusional idiot. He isn't good enough to start for anyone in the NFL and is barely capable of playing backup. I am glad we didn't go any further with him.

lilyoder6
08-11-2008, 01:54 PM
i wouldn't mind to see leftwich sign a longer contract w/ us 2 take over charlie's pos.. batch is't getting any older and he has his ring...

Scalaid6
08-11-2008, 02:35 PM
I like the menality of a player that wants to come in and start. Is it realistic? No, but still good mentality for a player to have. If Buster Douglass would have thought he was gonna get his arse kicked would he have beaten Tyson. And I have heard several people say Culpepper wanted to start but I havent seen this anywhere. Can someone provide a link? Only thing I have seen is that Culpepper wanted to know what his status would be once Batch returned.

fansince'76
08-11-2008, 02:58 PM
And I have heard several people say Culpepper wanted to start but I havent seen this anywhere. Can someone provide a link? Only thing I have seen is that Culpepper wanted to know what his status would be once Batch returned.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3528603

rbryan
08-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Its not just that Culpepper wanted to start somewhere, you can't blame a guy for that btw, its that he wanted to get paid like he was. IMO if Culpepper was willing to take the same contract that Leftwich did he'd be here.

MACH1
08-11-2008, 03:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3528603

Maybe we'll have a little inside info for when it comes to playing the jagoffs. :noidea:

xfl2001fan
08-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Eventually Batch knew he would have to take a paycut. The reality is this, the guy is older, he contributes less so what woud warrant more or equal value of his current contract? I dont think Batch is going anywhere. If he comes back and proves hes is healed, I see no reason for him not to be in a position to fight for his #2 spot again. What he has to worry about is the development of Dixon. In Batchs' absence, if Dixon takes off, or shows some promise, that will be the nail in the coffin for the aging Qb.

I disagree (imagine that.) If Dixon takes off, Batch is a far better #3 QB. The #3 QB is typically your "mentor"/scout guy. I believe that Batch is a smarter QB than Leftwich is. He's already acting as a surrogate QB coach for Ben and Dixon...I doubt Leftwich takes that role nearly as seriously or performs it nearly as well.

I think Dixon's development will do more for Batch than it will for Leftwich.

fansince'76
08-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Its not just that Culpepper wanted to start somewhere, you can't blame a guy for that btw, its that he wanted to get paid like he was. IMO if Culpepper was willing to take the same contract that Leftwich did he'd be here.

Culpepper needs to set his sights a little lower if he wants gainful employment with a NFL team again, both in contract amount and prospective role on a team, IMO. There's a reason he's still unemployed.

Edman
08-11-2008, 03:29 PM
What's keeping Daunte Culpepper out of a job is his ego. He thinks he's a starting QB, but couldn't do anything without Randy Moss. He had to be run out of Miami, and couldn't cut it in Oakland.

Leftwich is an underrated QB. I thought he did a good job in Jacksonville, not great, but good. Jacksonville cut him because they firgured they could get the same output from Garrard with less pay. Which is moot now that they signed Garrard to the huge deal.

Leftwich has beaten the Steelers twice before. Now he's one of them. Know what they say, can't beat 'em, sign 'em.:chuckle:

rbryan
08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Leftwich won't be scared, thats a step up from the rest of the QB's on the roster not named Ben. I wouldn't be surprised if he's here for a while.

lilyoder6
08-11-2008, 03:59 PM
hopefully he gets to play against buffalo this week 2 see how good of a shape he is in

HometownGal
08-11-2008, 04:25 PM
i wouldn't mind to see leftwich sign a longer contract w/ us 2 take over charlie's pos.. batch is't getting any older and he has his ring...

Gee lilyoder - whatever Charlie is smokin', I want some of it too! :chuckle:

http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/7/74/Mortimersnerd.jpg

Dino 6 Rings
08-11-2008, 04:29 PM
I just hope he doesn't under throw our speedy guys on deep routes the way Batch has been known to do. Throw it out there and let Holmes get under it in stride.

If he can do that, and hand off the ball, he'll get the job as a back-up done.

Welcome to the Steelers Byron. Glad to see that you have "seen the light"

SteelersJW
08-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Wait, let me get this straight... Culpepper thinks he should be able to compete against Ben for the starting job? What's he think this is?

lilyoder6
08-11-2008, 06:20 PM
he's smoking some of that blueberry yum yum.. lol. my bad.. but still u get my point

Texasteel
08-11-2008, 06:39 PM

I don't think that Culpepper really whated to come here. If you were in his position, and wanted a starting job, would you want to go head to head with Ben.

stillers4me
08-11-2008, 06:41 PM
I don't think that Culpepper really whated to come here. If you were in his position, and wanted a starting job, would you want to go head to head with Ben.

Then why did he even make the trip?

Texasteel
08-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Gee lilyoder - whatever Charlie is smokin', I want some of it too! :chuckle:

http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/7/74/Mortimersnerd.jpg

I think I would rather have what lilyoders smokin.

Texasteel
08-11-2008, 06:48 PM

He may have taken the trip just to get his name mentioned.

steel striker
08-11-2008, 08:05 PM
well....culepepper's never proved to be too smart :flap:

but what is he thinking, if the dolphins and raiders don't want you as their QB and you get no offers from any team, then you gotta take what they are giving you here, and that is a backup job. knucklehead

Remember that NFL commerical after we get rid of Moss it will be smooth sailing! lol
:chuckle:

HometownGal
08-11-2008, 08:08 PM

Hey stillers - wouldn't you take a free all expenses paid trip to the Burgh? :wink02::tt03:

stillers4me
08-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Hey stillers - wouldn't you take a free all expenses paid trip to the Burgh? :wink02::tt03:

Well, hey! When you put it that way! :drink:

lilyoder6
08-11-2008, 08:48 PM
maybe he thought that if he was number 2 he would stay number 2 when batch returns.. idk.. but free trip is very nice these days

Hines0wnz
08-11-2008, 10:53 PM
As long as the O-line keeps Ben healthy this wont be an issue.

Let's hope Batch is a quick healer though. :tt02:

tony hipchest
08-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Hey stillers - wouldn't you take a free all expenses paid trip to the Burgh? :wink02::tt03:theres something to be said about sitting down and looking a man in the eye to discuss business as opposed to a choppy cell phone call.

especially when youre talking about million dollar players in a billion dollar industry.

a plane ticket and a days trip is nothing....

"aint nuttin but a thang"

Rhee Rhee
08-12-2008, 01:54 AM
im sort of dissappointed with leftwich...

by no means am i saying that culpepper would be an improvement but we got one of the most immobile QBs in the entire NFL behind a offensive line that is yet to be proven... just doesn't spell sucess...

leftwhich has a powerful arm but the only reason he does is because his wind up takes about 3 seconds... and he holds the ball so low which just spells disaster when your going up against any team with a good passrush...

i realize that he isn't trying to replace ben but when was the last time ben's played an entire season? may i remind you that last year the o-line gave up 47 sacks... i personally am very worried about who's the backup... dixon will be solid but he's about 2-3 years away from that.. i'm confused as to why the steelers didn't look at a guy named kelly holcomb who has history with bruce arians... which IMO is better than having a relationship with the QB coach... i'm not sure if he retired or not but if he did i'm sure we could pull a brett farve/ vinny testaverde with him...

SteelMember
08-12-2008, 07:56 AM

by no means am i saying that culpepper would be an improvement but we got one of the most immobile QBs in the entire NFL behind a offensive line that is yet to be proven... just doesn't spell sucess...

leftwhich has a powerful arm but the only reason he does is because his wind up takes about 3 seconds... and he holds the ball so low which just spells disaster when your going up against any team with a good passrush...

i realize that he isn't trying to replace ben but when was the last time ben's played an entire season? may i remind you that last year the o-line gave up 47 sacks... i personally am very worried about who's the backup... dixon will be solid but he's about 2-3 years away from that.. i'm confused as to why the steelers didn't look at a guy named kelly holcomb who has history with bruce arians... which IMO is better than having a relationship with the QB coach... i'm not sure if he retired or not but if he did i'm sure we could pull a brett farve/ vinny testaverde with him...
A player getting signed because he is familiar with personel or a system?
That never happens.:rolleyes:

tony hipchest
08-12-2008, 09:02 AM
holcomb sucks. why didnt we just sign jeff george? he stays in shape, is always looking for work, and might have a history with arians too.

:doh: "i knew is shoulda made a leftwich at albuquerque"

lefty it is.

klick81
08-12-2008, 09:33 AM
LOL...people are acting like he just took Ben's job. Caaaaaaaalm down!

STEELtownHAVOX
08-12-2008, 09:35 AM

Maybe we should have signed Vick out of prison, he should still be able to run pretty well.

SteelMember
08-12-2008, 09:37 AM
holcomb sucks. why didnt we just sign jeff george? he stays in shape, is always looking for work, and might have a history with arians too.

:doh: "i knew is shoulda made a leftwich at albuquerque"

lefty it is.

I know. Shhh. There's brownies in here.:chuckle:

tony hipchest
08-12-2008, 09:42 AM
I know. Shhh. There's brownies in here.:chuckle: :sofunny: my bad. holcombs the bomb, and would be a gread addition! :wink02: hell, he'd be great in the meeting rooms with arians, who could use his giant heman munster forehead to draw up plays with a "dry erase" marker.

:sofunny: other than that, i dont see much use for him.

it seems some people are remembering 1 good game (02) and forgetting he hasnt been able to nail down a starting job since.

Lord Stiller
08-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Holcomb is better than Derrick Anderson

revefsreleets
08-12-2008, 09:50 AM
I think Holcomb pretty much is Derek Anderson. One hit wonders...

Lord Stiller
08-12-2008, 09:57 AM
I think Holcomb pretty much is Derek Anderson. One hit wonders...

I agree. But atleast Holcomb got the Turds into the playoffs before getting stomped on by the Steelers for the 3rd time that season. Anderson couldn't get his team to bounce back from the 2 beatings the Steelers gave them and they missed the playoffs. Oh well, maybe next decade

fansince'76
08-12-2008, 10:00 AM
i realize that he isn't trying to replace ben but when was the last time ben's played an entire season?....i'm confused as to why the steelers didn't look at a guy named kelly holcomb who has history with bruce arians... which IMO is better than having a relationship with the QB coach... i'm not sure if he retired or not but if he did i'm sure we could pull a brett farve/ vinny testaverde with him...

Last year - he was held out of the final game for non-injury reasons. If we would have absolutely needed that game to get into the playoffs, Ben would have been in there. Why do people keep assuming that Leftwich is going to see massive amounts of playing time? Holcomb sucks - he had one huge game against us in the playoffs when our secondary sucked even worse than he did (Charred Scott and Dewayne "Burnt Toast" Washington, anybody?) and he hasn't done jack before or since then.

tony hipchest
08-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Holcomb is better than Derrick Andersonhow do you figure? are you going by the gaudy stats of 5900 yds and 39 td's he put up in his 12 year career?