PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Run through the Playoffs Revisited

stlrtruck
08-11-2008, 08:07 AM
So over the last few weeks I've plugged in all 4 CDs from the 2006 Playoffs and have the following thoughts on the games:

Wild Card vs. Bungles:
1) The bungles outplayed the Steelers for the first 30 minutes
2) Someone forgot to tell the bungles it's a 60 minute game
3) I can't imagine how bad it would have been if the Steelers played 60 minutes that day

Divisional vs. Colts:
1) The colts may have been the better team on paper but that day the Steelers we all around better on the field
2) Cowher went into the prevent offense way too soon
3) The defense won that game hands down
4) Polamalu was robbed of the INT

Championship vs. Broncos:
1) Another game that the Steelers dominated
2) Cowher once again went into prevent offense
3) Cedric Wilson was a beast this game
4) Hines Ward can take a hit

Super Bowl vs. Seahags:
1) Man the refs missed a lot of calls
2) Seattle outplayed the Steelers for about 23 minutes
3) Again, it's a 60 minute game
4) The holding call that took back the long gain was just as bad as the holding call against the seahags in the first quarter. The difference, it negated a big play.
5) That chop block call on hasselback was a over the top, although the Steelers had a similar call against them in an earlier game.
6) That pushoff in the endzone, although ticky-tack, was still a pushoff.
7) Good teams overcome their own mistakes
8) Did I mention the fumble that wasn't a fumble?
9) If not for Ben's INT, the Steelers blow this game wide open
10) It was good to watch the confetti fall (again)

Overall:
1) The Steelers had a dominating defense but it was overused
2) The offense went into prevent mode way too soon, putting too much pressure on the Defense
3) I'd like to see a, "Stick a fork in them, they're done" mentality on the offense (i.e. score enough points that we don't have to worry about the other team coming back and take some pressure off the defense)
4) I miss Cowher on the sideline, but I'm excited to watch Tomlin in the Super Bowl

CanadianSteel
08-11-2008, 09:46 AM
One thing I always notice watching the playoff run is how good Palamalu can be.
Not many big plays in the Superbowl itself, but he played the prior 3 playoff games as good as a safety can and was all over the field.
If we can get that Troy back this year the defence will be scary good again.

PisnNapalm
08-11-2008, 10:26 AM
I agree with all of your points.

About Troy though... I have a sick feeling that "Troy" may be gone forever. He's been hurt the last 2 seasons. I don't know if he'll ever get back to that level of play again. It's a shame, because he can break a game open for us.

BlastFurnace
08-11-2008, 11:05 AM

About Troy though... I have a sick feeling that "Troy" may be gone forever. He's been hurt the last 2 seasons. I don't know if he'll ever get back to that level of play again. It's a shame, because he can break a game open for us.

There is plenty of evidence to support your statement. I agree with you. I'm just glad he was at his peak during out SB year.

steeltheone
08-11-2008, 11:08 AM

Gone from that level of play consistantly enough to earn his pay check he is getting right now.......Probably.:noidea:

Edman
08-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Steelers playoff experience beat the Bengals in the '06.

The Bengals were pumped from the home crowd and came at the Steelers early. Pittsburgh took their best shot, and were only down by three at halftime, then the Bengals inexperience came into play, they began to panic and their collars were tightening. The rest is history.

Steelers owned the Colts. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. That game should've been 28-10 or worse. That robbed Polamalu INT and Bettis' fluke fumble gave Indy life when they should've had none.

Steelers owned Denver, but they've owned us since.

Super Bowl XL, let's just say I'm still blue from arguing with the Waahawk fans. So I won't comment. F the 12th Man, F them, and F their team.

steeltheone
08-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Denver also owned us before that game.

Patrick D from 83
08-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I really miss the Plummer days of Denver. We killed them that game. I remember being extremly confident going into it as well. I think thats the only AFC Championship game were I felt like a win was guaranteed since the Colts in '95. Denver (Elway Denver is a BIIIIIG difference), Pats, Pats....I was honestly scared of all 3. Not this one.

redst3
08-11-2008, 03:12 PM
XL- Before Ben threw that interception and the Seahawk ran it way back, the Steelers were on the verge of completely destroying Seattle. Had he hit Cedric Wilson the score would have been 28-3 and then they would have had to start throwing like crazy. It might've ended up 42-10. Holmgren badly mismanaged the clock at the end of the 1st half. I knew it was over when ARE threw the TD pass. Holmgren was a big fat crybaby for not shaking Cowher's hand.

Colts Game- The Bettis fumble nearly gave me a heart attack. The linebackers were beastly in that game. "LINEBACKERS GONE WILD"

Denver- That one was done at the half though Denver never gave up.

xfl2001fan
08-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Steelers playoff experience beat the Bengals in the '06.

The Bengals were pumped from the home crowd and came at the Steelers early. Pittsburgh took their best shot, and were only down by three at halftime, then the Bengals inexperience came into play, they began to panic and their collars were tightening. The rest is history.

Wasn't that the game that Palmer got hurt though? That was a huge blow to that offense and ultimately led to their demise. Still, if I remember right, (as is typical of Cincy) they were certainly (at a minimum) outcoached.

To avoid any possible further e-hate. I did see the hit on his knee. It looked a lot more like a Bengals lineman fault (crappy blocking into the knee) than it was a "cheap shot".

I can't remember the site I was on at the time, but I defended the Steelers player from day one...and when the Troll-Patrol came out...I quit the site.

Stlrs4Life
08-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Wasn't that the game that Palmer got hurt though? That was a huge blow to that offense and ultimately led to their demise. Still, if I remember right, (as is typical of Cincy) they were certainly (at a minimum) outcoached.

To avoid any possible further e-hate. I did see the hit on his knee. It looked a lot more like a Bengals lineman fault (crappy blocking into the knee) than it was a "cheap shot".

I can't remember the site I was on at the time, but I defended the Steelers player from day one...and when the Troll-Patrol came out...I quit the site.

Yeah, Palmer got hurt on there first play from scrimmage. But there back up did well against us for a half.

The Duke
08-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Wild Card vs. Bungles:
1) The Bungles suck

that's all I need to know :flap:

Divisional vs. Colts:
2) Cowher went into the prevent offense way too soon

yep. that was just about the time manning started firing away. thanks vanderjagt :tt03:

I miss troy from those days too, and we will see him again this season. all his training with marinovich will pay off

Dino 6 Rings
08-11-2008, 04:26 PM
2006. Game vs the bears, the Bus RAN OVER Brian Urlacher. I knew then we had a chance when the "best LB" in the game landed on is over paid butt in the snow.

Top of my head. Bengals game. They scored early on us twice, we fought back and just got physical and wore them down througout the game to end up dominating them into submission.

Colts game. Sick game, opened on offense with the huge pass to Miller. That opened the running game. We dominated on defense holding the defense until right before the snap and then adjusting. The INT was taken away, but we still crushed Payton into the dirt and should have scored from the 1 yard line. But instead, we get "the tackle".

Denver. I knew we were going to win that game and when Cutler fumbled early on, I knew we had their number. Ben runs one in instead of handing it off to the Bus, I think the Bus had some confidence issues that carried into the SB.

Super Bowl. Bettis didn't score on 2 carries within 5 yards. Ben did cross the line. Our Defense ate up the Seattle running game and that stupid Hawks receiver that talked smack dropped about 5 passes. He lost that game for the hawks. Ward was on another planet with some of his catches, and Randel El did just enough for us to help us win. But had Ben not short armed that pass that was picked and ran back for a huge gain, the "refs" issue doesn't come up. Too bad Ben had the worst game of his life in his biggest game to date.

Prok
08-11-2008, 04:59 PM
that's all I need to know :flap:

yep. that was just about the time manning started firing away. thanks vanderjagt :tt03:

I miss troy from those days too, and we will see him again this season. all his training with marinovich will pay off

Ya know, i think Troy will be fine as long as they quit lining him up all over the place all the time and let him play his natural position. It's getting him hurt and weakening the secondary at the same time IMO.

Seems when we play the Colts, ya see Troy in coverage most of the game and the secondary plays well. But against other teams when we blitz him alot, we suffer against the pass.

CantStop85
08-11-2008, 05:45 PM

It was Eric Steinbach who blocked Kimo right into Palmer's knee by the way. Hopefully Quinn and Anderson keep their head on a swivel. :chuckle:

Ew...just thinking about that injury still makes me angry...****ing Jon Kitna.

Galax Steeler
08-12-2008, 03:25 AM
The play that stands out in my mind the most is the interception by troy during the colts game that was clearly an interception what the hell was the refere looking at I will never know.

steel striker
08-12-2008, 07:59 PM
The play that stands out in my mind the most is the interception by troy during the colts game that was clearly an interception what the hell was the refere looking at I will never know.

I agree and, watched that game again Troy should have had two interceptions that day. There was another play were Troy clearly got the pick but, once again the refs did not see it that way. Yeah I do not kow how anyone can say that Troy did not catch that ball. I do not think I'll ever forget that playoff game it was something else.

Steel_Bus_24
08-12-2008, 09:56 PM
I agree and, watched that game again Troy should have had two interceptions that day. There was another play were Troy clearly got the pick but, once again the refs did not see it that way. Yeah I do not kow how anyone can say that Troy did not catch that ball. I do not think I'll ever forget that playoff game it was something else.

Can't forget that horrible no-call on Randle-El either....The Colts DB flat tackled him a good second or more before the ball got there.

That game was just so draining....My head hurt so bad after that game yet I was still so happy. I bet 2 floors above and below me in my dorms could have heard me screaming/cheering that day.