PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign another punter- Mitch Berger

tony hipchest
08-11-2008, 12:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3528603

oh no! not bitch merger! he did ok in the final 7 games last season (the only ones he played). whats interesting about this article is we learn leftwich signed for the 5th year vet minimum. $605,000 (which is dirt cheap) and will only count $445,000 against the cap.

our new backup punter however costs $830,000 at vet minimum and counts about the same against the cap as lefty.

i still wish culpepper was brought in to put some competitive pressure on leftwich like mitch will ernster.

Patrick D from 83
08-11-2008, 12:43 PM
oh no! not bitch merger! he did ok in the final 7 games last season (the only ones he played). whats interesting about this article is we learn leftwich signed for the 5th year vet minimum. $605,000 (which is dirt cheap) and will only count $445,000 against the cap.

our new backup punter however costs $830,000 at vet minimum and counts about the same against the cap as lefty.

i still wish culpepper was brought in to put some competitive pressure on leftwich like mitch will ernster.

Any idea if it would have cost more to bring Culpepper in? Well, assuming he made the team. Could have been a factor...or not. What do I know.:noidea:

tony hipchest
08-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Any idea if it would have cost more to bring Culpepper in? Well, assuming he made the team. Could have been a factor...or not. What do I know.:noidea:i believe culpepper has played enough years that his vet minimum would be $830,000 too. word is, he wanted to be able to compete for the #1 job and that just wasnt happening in pgh. byron has no problem sitting behind ben and waiting to be called upon if needed.

revefsreleets
08-11-2008, 12:50 PM
So, is it fair to say that:

"Leftwich looks good in the B&G for vet minimum?"

Holy Christ, it actually fit this time!

LVSteelersfan
08-11-2008, 01:17 PM
After seeing Ernster's performance in Cleveland last year, I am not so sure we wanted him. His kickoffs are great though as Reed never gives us good field position on kickoffs. We shall see what the new guy brings to the table. Leftwitch may just be sent packing as soon as Batch is back any way. Only time will tell. I assume Batch counts as a roster position if he is not put on IR. Do players on the PUP list at the beginning of the season count as a roster slot? That would put Batch out for 6 weeks but give him time to properly heal.

Patrick D from 83
08-11-2008, 01:30 PM
i believe culpepper has played enough years that his vet minimum would be $830,000 too. word is, he wanted to be able to compete for the #1 job and that just wasnt happening in pgh. byron has no problem sitting behind ben and waiting to be called upon if needed.

Yea I heard about that too.

I figured culpepper would have the same vet minimum...I was just wondering if he would take that. I mean, his head is big enough to think he should be allowed to compete for the number 1 job afterall.

millwalldavey
08-11-2008, 02:03 PM
One of the punters will be gone by next weekend.

steelreserve
08-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Mitch Berger used to be a badass, or at least as much of one as you can be when you're a punter. Of course, I don't know how long ago that was, but it may have been like 10 years ago. In either case, it's better than having a punter with a torn ACL.

Galax Steeler
08-12-2008, 04:28 AM
One of the punters will be gone by next weekend.

I agree but I couldn't tell you which one it is a toss up I guess we will see.