PDA

View Full Version : Daunte's ego

Steelman16
08-11-2008, 11:16 PM
In case anyone doesn't know, I absolutely detest that despicable Yahoo sports blogger-moron, otherwise known as MJD, but this article made me laugh.

It's kinda like dragtruk saying he likes the Patriots*, but I'll post it anyway. :laughing:

Monday, Aug 11, 2008 9:30 am EDT

Daunte Culpepper still has lofty career goals
By MJD
When Steelers backup Charlie Batch's collarbone went "snap" in the Steelers first preseason game, the team immediately brought in Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper to audition for the spot on the depth chart behind Ben Roethlisberger.

Both men were said to be impressive in their workouts, but it was Leftwich who got the contract. Why? John Clayton says it's because Culpepper's holding out for a starting gig:

The reason the Steelers picked Leftwich over Culpepper is because Leftwich felt more comfortable with the role the Steelers were offering. Ben Roethlisberger is the starter and Batch is expected to be the backup when he gets healthy again. Culpepper was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting job.

You know who that reminds me of? Clark Griswold's cousin Eddie. There was nothing between the ground and his brain but a piece of government plastic, and every time Catherine turned the microwave on, he'd urinate on himself and forget who he was for a half an hour.

And he wasn't employed because, as his wife explained, he was "holding out for a management position."

I don't know, Cousin Daunte. Call me crazy, but maybe the fact that you're still a free agent on August 11th should be a hint that no one's going to bring you in as a starter. That's an educated guess.

Now, maybe some team should. No doubt, there are a lot of quarterbacks out there who have NFL jobs that are worse than you. The Dolphins alone have at least two.

But for the sake of your career, it might be time to suck it up, realize that you're not going to get a starting gig in '08, and jump at the next roster spot available. Because if you're unsatisfied with the job market now, wait until '09 and see how it works out for you when you've got the same résumé you do now, but you've also been out of the game for a year.

fansince'76
08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
You know who that reminds me of? Clark Griswold's cousin Eddie. There was nothing between the ground and his brain but a piece of government plastic, and every time Catherine turned the microwave on, he'd urinate on himself and forget who he was for a half an hour.

Does Daunte have a dog named "Snot" too? :chuckle:

Patrick D from 83
08-12-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't know, Cousin Daunte. Call me crazy, but maybe the fact that you're still a free agent on August 11th should be a hint that no one's going to bring you in as a starter. That's an educated guess.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I heard why we didn't take Daunte. I guess its good to have high aims, but he's gotta look at this realistically.

Galax Steeler
08-12-2008, 04:04 AM
Time to wake up and smell the coffee there is no way he gets a starting job this year and I know for a fact not in pittsburgh.

TroysBadDawg
08-12-2008, 05:57 AM
Don't look for him to go to Cleveland, we already have Dorsey for 3rd string.

stlrtruck
08-12-2008, 09:01 AM
IF Culpepper was smart he would take a 2nd string job and do his best Tommy Maddox impression. When it's your turn come in, do your job, and if you do it well then you'll earn that starter spot and eventually help a team get a "BIG BEN" type QB.

I mean think about it Daunte...you get a few years of being a starter and then you get to help a team to a pathetic record only to get the best QB in the draft after two other teams pass him by for the media hyped ones....

WAIT A MINUTE, what am I thinking there will never be a second coming of BIG BEN!!!

Sorry Daunte, your screwed!

RoethlisBURGHer
08-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Daunte needs to get this be a starter thing out of his head. His perfomance before the knee injury without Moss wasn't good, then he didn't do anything with the Dolphins or the Raiders. Nobody wants him as a starter right now, and he needs to just get over himself.

Otherwise, he could always sign with the UFL when they start play in 2009.

tony hipchest
08-12-2008, 10:10 AM
actually daunte had his best year when moss went down and missed half the season. pep put burleson on the map and turned him into a high priced free agent.

revefsreleets
08-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Don't look for him to go to Cleveland, we already have Dorsey for 3rd string.

That performance of Dorsey's against the Jets may have been the worst I've ever seen a QB play at any level. Simply awful...

steelreserve
08-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Well, if he wants to be a starter, why doesn't he see if he can catch on with a less successful team that doesn't have an established quarterback, like the Dolphins or the Raiders?

Oh. Wait.

Yeah, good luck there, chief.

atrus20
08-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Well, if he wants to be a starter, why doesn't he see if he can catch on with a less successful team that doesn't have an established quarterback, like the Dolphins or the Raiders?

Oh. Wait.

Yeah, good luck there, chief.

I don't think the Chiefs will take him either. :chuckle:

CantStop85
08-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Eh, I can see why Daunte wouldn't want to sign with the Steelers. While he would've been the second string QB for a few weeks, he was already informed that when Batch came back he would be the #2 again. He's better off waiting for another QB to get hurt.

That being said, Culpepper should've taken Green Bay's offer earlier in the offseason. He could've been the veteran backup to Rodgers and taken over if he gets hurt or falls flat on his face.

stlrtruck
08-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Eh, I can see why Daunte wouldn't want to sign with the Steelers. While he would've been the second string QB for a few weeks, he was already informed that when Batch came back he would be the #2 again. He's better off waiting for another QB to get hurt.

That being said, Culpepper should've taken Green Bay's offer earlier in the offseason. He could've been the veteran backup to Rodgers and taken over if he gets hurt or falls flat on his face.

Obviously his ego is bigger than his abilities or his thought process.

beSteelmyheart
08-13-2008, 06:00 PM
When I heard about this one it actually made me laugh.

St33lersguy
08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
He also actually turned down an offer from the Packers to be the backup QB so actually this is not the 1st time he passed on signing with a team due to being offered just a backup role. Of course this was before Brett "I can't make up my mind" Favre wanted to come back. :chuckle:

Texasteel
08-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Daunte needs to get this be a starter thing out of his head. His perfomance before the knee injury without Moss wasn't good, then he didn't do anything with the Dolphins or the Raiders. Nobody wants him as a starter right now, and he needs to just get over himself.

Otherwise, he could always sign with the UFL when they start play in 2009.

I got to wonder, what the heck is his agent telling him. :noidea:

xfl2001fan
08-13-2008, 06:50 PM

He's telling him that a bunch of Steelers fans can't quit talking about him!:chuckle:

Texasteel
08-13-2008, 06:51 PM
yah, thats going to get him a freakin job.

The Duke
08-13-2008, 06:55 PM

as I understand, he is his own agent

I think I heard that somewhere

if so, it explains a lot

Texasteel
08-13-2008, 07:16 PM
A lawyer that handle his own case has a fool for a client. I think the same may be said for Daunte.

TheWarDen86
08-13-2008, 07:57 PM
In case anyone doesn't know, I absolutely detest that despicable Yahoo sports blogger-moron, otherwise known as MJD, but this article made me laugh.

It's kinda like dragtruk saying he likes the Patriots*, but I'll post it anyway. :laughing:

It's official then:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/don_banks/06/08/snaps/p1_culpepper2.jpg
=

http://www.kinoweb.de/film97/VegasVacation/pix/quaid.jpg

:laughing:

TheWarDen86
08-13-2008, 08:59 PM
So is Daunte Culpable? :chuckle:

Okay, I'm done.

lilyoder6
08-13-2008, 09:55 PM
he shall go to chi if he wants a fair chance of playing qb again

xfl2001fan
08-14-2008, 04:59 PM
The Arena league requires really good accuracy...not sure he'd do so well there. Maybe he can start in the upcoming USFL or USL or whatever the new league is.