PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus XP 08

TheWarDen86
08-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Anyone ever heard of this? It's a super duper, high-speed/low drag, no screwing around, nasty ass virus! This thing completely wiped out my laptop. Beware!

:mad:

xfl2001fan
08-12-2008, 05:04 PM
I hadn't heard of it, but thanx for the heads up!

TheWarDen86
08-12-2008, 05:50 PM
I hadn't heard of it, but thanx for the heads up!

Apparently, it's only been around for a few months. If you google it you'll find forums filled with the nightmares it's caused.

Preacher
08-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Apparently, it's only been around for a few months. If you google it you'll find forums filled with the nightmares it's caused.

Thank goodness for my PCillian from Trend Micro.

I gotta admit... it has done WONDERS for me.

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/viewxml.do?ContentID=EN-1037133&id=EN-1037133

Here is a link to their page to clean up the virus on your computer. You do NOT have to be a subscriber to use it.

TheWarDen86
08-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Thank goodness for my PCillian from Trend Micro.

I gotta admit... it has done WONDERS for me.

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/viewxml.do?ContentID=EN-1037133&id=EN-1037133

Here is a link to their page to clean up the virus on your computer. You do NOT have to be a subscriber to use it.

That's what I use, but I let it lapse: Lesson learned.

Following this incident I installed the latest, complete with everything up to/including keystroke encryption.
Trend Micro is the best.

Preacher
08-12-2008, 07:14 PM
That's what I use, but I let it lapse: Lesson learned.

Following this incident I installed the latest, complete with everything up to/including keystroke encryption.
Trend Micro is the best.

Wow.

The old saying... an ounce of prevention...

TheWarDen86
08-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Wow.

The old saying... an ounce of prevention...

yep. Actually, another old saying came to mind while I was on line at Staples on Sunday..., something about horses and closing the barn doors...:laughing:

At least I can laugh about it now. I just about came unglued when it happened.

Godfather
08-13-2008, 10:04 AM
I had to take that off my mom's computer. I just used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (fortunately McAfee partially blocked that crap so it was easy and free to clean up.)

That program popped up out of nowhere on my laptop but Norton biatch-slapped it immediately.

You might want to download MAM so you can just install and run if you get infected.

TheWarDen86
08-13-2008, 03:16 PM
I had to take that off my mom's computer. I just used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (fortunately McAfee partially blocked that crap so it was easy and free to clean up.)

That program popped up out of nowhere on my laptop but Norton biatch-slapped it immediately.

You might want to download MAM so you can just install and run if you get infected.

So you're not sure how it got there either? I'm still trying to figure it out.

UK CANDY BEE
08-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I used AVG's free version within a few hours of first seeing it on my system, and haven't had any problem since..........

.... but I guess I was lucky enough to catch it early......

Godfather
08-13-2008, 06:30 PM
So you're not sure how it got there either? I'm still trying to figure it out.

Saw something once about the scammers buying banner ad space on legit websites and posing as legit businesses.

But when it tried to get my laptop, a new tab opened in my browser when I wasn't doing anything, so maybe there's a worm helping it spread.

X-Terminator
08-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Why pay for anti-virus programs? I use avast! Antivirus 4.8 Home Edition, and it's worked great thus far. It has very low load time, uses very little resources, has built-in anti-spyware and anti-rootkit technology, and the best part is...it's totally free. You can download it at www.avast.com.

I would also recommend having multiple antispyware programs on your computer if at all possible. In addition to avast!, I also have Windows Defender, Spybot Search & Destroy and a little handy program called WinPatrol that takes a snapshot of your computer's programs and registry, then alerts you if there are any changes about to be made that require your approval. None of them interfere with each other, but rather work on top of each other. So if a spyware program gets by one, there's another one that will be able to detect it. You don't have to use Defender - just having Spybot, WinPatrol and any antispyware that's built into your antivirus program should be more than enough.

WinPatrol: www.winpatrol.com
Spybot: www.safer-networking.org

The Duke
08-14-2008, 01:37 AM
personally I keep my computer as safe as I possibly can, that's why I use ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/home.jsp

it's the perfect firewall for my computer. nothing ever goes unnoticed. complete with anti spyware and anti virus

and even with his I use several other programs like AVG, a squared, spy bot search and destroy....

there have been 48 high rated intrusions in my computer. every single one caught by zone alarm. this thing is amazing. I couldn't feel safer on my computer

you obviously gotta pay for the best versions, but the free ones are also good. and sometimes you can find the best versions for free somewhere........

Godfather
08-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Norton came free with my computer.

McAfee came free but I have a subscription now...well worth the money.

Mosca
08-15-2008, 09:37 AM
I was so impressed with AVG Free that I bought a 2 year/5 computer license. If you think the free version is great, the pay version blows it away; databases and heuristics are updated daily, scans take place every night at 3AM, the program is just fantastic.

X-Terminator
08-15-2008, 10:23 AM
I was so impressed with AVG Free that I bought a 2 year/5 computer license. If you think the free version is great, the pay version blows it away; databases and heuristics are updated daily, scans take place every night at 3AM, the program is just fantastic.

I had AVG Free on my XP desktop for all of one day and got rid of it. It completely took over my computer to where I couldn't run any of my programs, and that was despite configuring it to my needs. Kept getting error after error after error. At that point I went back to McAfee since it came free from Comcast. I'm running avast! on my Vista laptop and am about to install it on my desktop.

Mosca
08-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I had AVG Free on my XP desktop for all of one day and got rid of it. It completely took over my computer to where I couldn't run any of my programs, and that was despite configuring it to my needs. Kept getting error after error after error. At that point I went back to McAfee since it came free from Comcast. I'm running avast! on my Vista laptop and am about to install it on my desktop.

I have the newest AVG Free, 8.0, at work, and it is exactly like you say; I think it sucks. But ver. 7 is awesome. I have no idea what I will do when my license ruins out.

I'd forgotten that ver. 8 sucks, thanks for bringing it up. As best I can tell, it is the part that looks ahead to all the links from a web page that loads everything down. When I disable that, it is OK enough, for something free.

X-Terminator
08-15-2008, 10:48 PM
I have the newest AVG Free, 8.0, at work, and it is exactly like you say; I think it sucks. But ver. 7 is awesome. I have no idea what I will do when my license ruins out.

I'd forgotten that ver. 8 sucks, thanks for bringing it up. As best I can tell, it is the part that looks ahead to all the links from a web page that loads everything down. When I disable that, it is OK enough, for something free.

Both v7.5 and v8 did that to me. I installed 7.5 first, and after it didn't work, I switched to 8, and the same thing happened. I used v7.0 before and it worked great, but it got lost when my computer crashed early last year and now you can't find it anymore. I really don't want to use McAfee anymore because it isn't as robust, it hogs the CPU and memory, and their full scans take way too long, not to mention if you want to do a scheduled scan, you can't tell it to only scan the critical areas where viruses and spyware lurk to save time and resources. It's just a bad piece of software, IMO.