PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: Anthony Smith not a thug

SteelersMongol
08-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Mike Tomlin took exception to a recent newspaper story that referred to free safety Anthony Smith as a thug, and the Steelers coach made it clear that he is still simmering over what he said is a mischaracterization of Smith.

"He's not a thug," Tomlin said at a news conference today. "He's a young professional football player who is trying to be at his best who happens to play the game very physically. I was offended by that reference to him."

Smith is one of the Steelers' fiercest hitters, and he has occasionally belted one of his own teammates in practice even though the team almost never tackles during drills.

Smith collided with Hines Ward last week in practice, knocking the veteran wide receiver to the ground after he had made a catch during a 7-on-7 drill. Ward did not comment after practice on the hit but he clearly wasn't happy about it.

Smith said the two have talked and everything is fine between them.

"He didn't take it personal," Smith said. "He knew it wasn't personal so what is there to be mad at?"

Tomlin said today Smith shouldn't have hit Ward. However, he said a line was crossed when Smith was labeled a thug.

"We understand that perception all of the time is not reality," Tomlin said. "But something things are written or said that are hurtful ..."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_582463.html?source=rss&feed=9

I wonder what they exactly said about Anthony Smith as a thug.

steeltheone
08-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Ant made a bad name for himself opening his mouth against the Pats. He is young, aggressive and balls to the wall. You gotta have guys like that!

Atlanta Dan
08-12-2008, 10:42 PM
And Richard Nixon was not a crook - having to deny the charge is damning

Preacher
08-12-2008, 10:49 PM
And Richard Nixon was not a crook

He wasn't.

He was a cover-up artist!!

Atlanta Dan
08-12-2008, 10:51 PM
He wasn't.

He was a cover-up artist!!

Well that too - he was a multi-tasker before the term was invented - the Michael Phelps of executive malfeasance was the best in many specialties

But to keep the thread on message - can you imagine Tomlin needing to make those comments about Farrior or Troy - of course not - Smith is out of chances - his next screw-up will be his last as a Steeler

Preacher
08-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Well that too - he was a multi-tasker before the term was invented

Anyone else get the feeling Nixon would have done very well in Tammany Hall?

(and yes, this thread is severely hijacked).

lilyoder6
08-12-2008, 11:44 PM
so ur going to cut a player 4 hitting someone in pratice.. awesome.. b/c last time i checked i haven't heard anything about anthony smith and the law.

missedgehead
08-13-2008, 12:10 AM
I don't think SMith is a thug. He has maturity issue and is high spirited to put it mildly, but I would not call him a thug. I do feel that the next time he screws up, will be his last.

Atlanta Dan
08-13-2008, 12:16 AM
so ur going to cut a player 4 hitting someone in pratice.. awesome.. b/c last time i checked i haven't heard anything about anthony smith and the law.

Nobody is saying anything about Smith being a felon - just a jackass who apparently does not have a clue about keeping control of his emotions, not blowing coverages, or listening to the coaching staff - but I do not cover the team - here is someone who does

Is there a bit of irony or is it hypocrisy regarding Ward's passive-aggressive style -- almost no comment after Anthony Smith laid him out -- is Smith liked by teammates? I like his moxie but smart and moxie need to go hand in hand.

Ed Bouchette: He's not liked by the offense, and while I don't know a player Dick LeBeau dislikes, Anthony Smith seems to keep ignoring his coach when he's trying to help him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08225/903727-66.stm

Smith has issues going back to acting like a fool after an INT in Carolina in 2006, after which LeBeau tore him a new one on the sidelines - the fact Smith continues to behave the same way indicates that is not just an act

tony hipchest
08-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Nobody is saying anything about Smith being a felon - just a jackass who apparently does not have a clue about keeping control of his emotions, not blowing coverages, or listening to the coaching staff - but I do not cover the team - here is someone who does

Is there a bit of irony or is it hypocrisy regarding Ward's passive-aggressive style -- almost no comment after Anthony Smith laid him out -- is Smith liked by teammates? I like his moxie but smart and moxie need to go hand in hand.

Ed Bouchette: He's not liked by the offense, and while I don't know a player Dick LeBeau dislikes, Anthony Smith seems to keep ignoring his coach when he's trying to help him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08225/903727-66.stm

Smith has issues going back to acting like a fool after an INT in Carolina in 2006, after which LeBeau tore him a new one on the sidelines - the fact Smith continues to behave the same way indicates that is not just an actstill doesnt make him a "thug". i gotta stand by tomlin defending his (young, aggressive, immature) player here.

that word "thug" definitely implies "felon". my idea of "thug" is pac man, vick, o.j., carruth, brady, henry, etc. but definitely not smith.

"knucklehead" woulda been tough for tomlin to argue, but "thug" is not.

Steel Pit
08-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Ant made a bad name for himself opening his mouth against the Pats. He is young, aggressive and balls to the wall. You gotta have guys like that!

Oh Fock, who gives a :poop: what he said prior to the Patrifags game last season?
His comments about New Gayland didn't give him a bad name. Where did you come up with that notion?

He guaranteed victory, big effing deal. The only thing that came of that was Smith's peformance on game day made him look like a rookie.

Edman
08-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Anthony Smith is definately not a thug, but he certainly is a knucklehead. Wasting that talent on stupidity.

Steelman16
08-13-2008, 02:46 AM
Thugs are folks like Ray Lewis and such. Anthony Smith is just a talented football player that needs a little common sense added to his hard-hitting makeup. Hard-hitting alone won't get you very far in this league. If he used his noggin more than his shoulder pads, he'd be an awesome safety. Until then, keep looking forward to more mistakes and bonehead moves on Anthony's part in the near future. Bob Sanders hits like a miniature maniac, but the man uses his brain too. Anthony otta take some lessons.

Michael Keller
08-13-2008, 03:18 AM
The knucklehead is Gene Collier looking for a story and going over board with the word thug.. It happens all the time in pre season camps. Watch NFL Net W ork and you see players on other teams fighting with each other.

Ward was " no comment" with the hit . Come on let it go . The game is called football thus give the kid a break.

Galax Steeler
08-13-2008, 04:30 AM
Hopefully Anthony will start using his head more and start playing like a proffesional and not a rookie and maybe he will make us a good safety one day.

GBMelBlount
08-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Smith touches some raw nerves

There is nothing sensitive about the way Anthony Smith plays football. With a body chiseled from granite and arms that are pumped like radial tires, he launches himself, usually with purposeful aggression, in the direction of a wide receiver who ventures across the middle of the field.

Usually, the receiver is unsuspecting. Sometimes, as was the case last week, it is even one of his teammates.

"Sometimes, I'm just going to make a play on the ball and we meet at a point where we make contact," said Smith, a third-year safety from Syracuse.

In this instance, Smith chose to meet at a point and make contact with Hines Ward, who is only a four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver and the most-tenured Steelers player. The collision occurred Aug. 6, in the final practice before the preseason opener, in a 7-on-7 passing drill in which, typically, the most contact usually involves the ball hitting the receiver's hands.

It was Ward who lost the collision, collapsing to the ground after being hit by the 200-pound Smith and lying there, dazed, for a couple extra seconds.

"It wasn't a hard hit," Smith said. "It was just to put him on ground.

Perhaps.

But one of the offensive coaches screamed across the field at Smith, asking, in effect, if he were crazy. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau walked over to Smith and told him to be a little more judicious about which players he was hitting on the practice field.

In other words, hammering Willie Reid is one thing. Clobbering Ward is another.

"Coach LeBeau came over and told me you can't do that," Smith said yesterday before afternoon practice at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. "I know you can't do that. It was something that happened. You got to know who you're hitting and just be cautious. You can't hit certain people like that."

"You can't really hit Willie [Parker] and Hines and Ben [Roethlisberger] and franchise players like that. You have to be careful with them."

Even coach Mike Tomlin, who benched Smith late in the 2007 season after he began allowing too many deep passes, said yesterday he had a problem with Smith hitting Ward in practice.

"Absolutely," Tomlin said. "We desire to be professional and practice with great professional etiquette. We understand we fall short of perfection. Sometimes that happens. This is a physical and emotional game played by those kind of people. But it doesn't necessarily make him a thug."

In a news conference attended by various media outlets, Tomlin said he was offended by a reference in a column written by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gene Collier in which Smith's hit on Ward was characterized as "training-camp thuggery." The column appeared Saturday, after the preseason opening victory against the Philadelphia Eagles.

"He's very sensitive to it, and guys are sensitive to it," Tomlin said of Smith. "His actions were referred to as 'thuggery.' We take offense to that.

"These are young professional people who are very good at what they do, who are very sensitive to how they are portrayed in the public light. I was offended by that reference. He's not a thug. He's a young professional football player ... who happens to play very physical."

Said Smith: "I never mugged anybody or robbed anybody. I got a clean record. I don't know how I would be classified as a thug."

He wore another quizzical look when it was suggested to him that the preseason game against the Buffalo Bills tomorrow night in Toronto could be a "telling" moment for him.

Smith, though, was unaware that it was Tomlin who used the word "telling" earlier in the day, indicating that Smith will get a lot of plays at free and strong safety against the Bills after missing more than a week of training camp and the opening preseason game with a groin injury.

"Not really," Smith said. "Everyone knows what I can do. I don't think I have to prove anything. I just have to go out and have a good solid game, coming off this injury."

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08226/903878-66.stm

Edman
08-13-2008, 08:56 AM
He'll be gone after next year.

So much upside, but has rocks for brains.

Scalaid6
08-13-2008, 09:27 AM
I dont think he'll be gone. Based on what? Mistakes as a young player and a bold prediction? I want my athletes to be confident. What would you say if he said "I guarantee we will lose to the Pats" you'd be all over him for that. Hes young. I guess you guys dont recall Polamalu's 1st two years do you? He was getting beat left and right but turned out to be a damn good safety didnt he? Smith is going nowhere, they arent wasting that pick. We need his physical pressence back there. I guarantee Houseyamma is looking for #27 when he goes across the midle.

stlrtruck
08-13-2008, 09:32 AM
If he continues down this path of disrespect for his own coaches and teammates, then I see him being released too. Hard hitter or not, doesn't matter. I believe that the Steelers like to maintain a certain persona about the team and the one that Smith has shown recently is not a good one.

Scalaid6
08-13-2008, 09:37 AM
What disrespect to players and coaches are you referring to? I say contrite comments from a guy who admitted his error. Have you not been to a football practice before? Coaches ALWAYS have to hold back the big hitters because thats what they do. Same for Roy Williams, Brian Dawkins, and other big hitters. Hes not being disrespectful. That comment is almost as wreckless as calling him a "thug". Come on.

lilyoder6
08-13-2008, 09:38 AM
we need to cut him now. he has too much passion for the game and justs wants to .. be the best he can be.. if he hits another player like that. oo he shall be cut

Scalaid6
08-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah lets cut him lol

Take a salary cap hit etc. Yeah lets cut him lol

SteelMember
08-13-2008, 09:48 AM
I believe the phrase used was "Training-Camp thuggery".
While some may make the asssociation to "felony", I believe it was just a poor choice by a columnist who was trying to use a new buzz word someone probably had to explain to him. Such sensationalism.
I'm suprised Hines hasen't been quoted as saying something taken out of context again.
-I thought it was him that hit me, but he's usually on the sideline.
PG "Hines says anthony sux, cut him!"

Get in a game and hit the other guys Smith. You know, the ones in the other color jerseys. "Colors.............Colors....Colors":bringit:

SteelMember
08-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Yeah lets cut him lol

Take a salary cap hit etc. Yeah lets cut him lol

Sooo, this player that dosen't play up to his potential and has poor play, you defend.:huh:

Mabey it's time to change your sig? I don't think anyone will be using the word elite anytime soon.

Rhee Rhee
08-13-2008, 10:07 AM
it ALMOST sounds like he's accusing the "franchise players" of being softies when he says..

"You can't really hit Willie [Parker] and Hines and Ben [Roethlisberger] and franchise players like that. You have to be careful with them."

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-13-2008, 10:33 AM
it ALMOST sounds like he's accusing the "franchise players" of being softies when he says..

No, Smith is just telling it like it is.

If you lay a big shot on Justin Vincent or Micah Rucker, its just good old "training camp competition". if you do the same with Willie Parker or Hines Ward....its considered "thuggery".

Good, athletes, actors, models, singers, etc get breaks where the not so good follow the general rules. Pretty standard issue.

revefsreleets
08-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Thugs shoot up strip clubs, get drunk/cracked/coked up and beat women, drunk drive with 18 guns in their car, etc, etc...

But stupid is as stupid does...

stlrtruck
08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
What disrespect to players and coaches are you referring to? I say contrite comments from a guy who admitted his error. Have you not been to a football practice before? Coaches ALWAYS have to hold back the big hitters because thats what they do. Same for Roy Williams, Brian Dawkins, and other big hitters. Hes not being disrespectful. That comment is almost as wreckless as calling him a "thug". Come on.

The waving off of coaches, the contact, not once but twice, during a non-contact drill. The comment isn't reckless, it's an opinion just like yours. I've been too many football practices and when the coach tells you it's no contact he means NO-CONTACT.

The words he spoke at the end of the season about maturing where positive but his actions show that they were just words.

PisnNapalm
08-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Smith has an attitude problem. You don't try to kill your own teams wide outs in practice. You sure as hell don't level the best receiver the team has ever had.

Smith is an asshat who can't back up his mouth. Thanks for firing up the Pats last season you dipstick.

stlrtruck
08-13-2008, 11:18 AM
I don't mind his aggressiveness but in his 3rd year he's got to know he can't go around knocking his own teammates out.

Scalaid6
08-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Lol he fired up the Pats? I think bellicheat does that. You guys blame a safety for that loss? How bout they were just better. How many predictions did other team make vs the Pats? That tells me they dont need to be fired up. We lost because they were better and they cheat, period. I'll ask again, how many times did Troy get toasted as a young safety? How many vets did harrison blow up as a youngster? How many guys did he beat up as a young LB? Both of the aforementioned players are doing well for us and Smith will too, give him time. You guys are smarter than the Rooneys, they see something in the kid. I guess you guys agree with the THUG label too hunh? Am I the only white guy on this thread that judges people by ability and not color?

PalmerSteel
08-13-2008, 04:48 PM
So much upside, but has rocks for brains.

exactly. that says it all. i hope he proves me wrong this season, but i doubt it. some people are just too dumb to ever "get it".

Scalaid6
08-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Well management doesnt think he has rocks for brains, they drafted him and I NEVER question the Steelers brass they have a good track record in respect to getting quality players, especially recently. Glad you guys arent in management, if so Troy and James would have been GONE.

lilyoder6
08-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Scalaid6, i was just being sarcastic...

how can u call someone a thug b/c he hits in pratice.. he has no run ins w/ the law what so ever..

Scalaid6
08-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I agree. CEDRIC WILSON IS A THUG (PUNCHING WOMEN) AND NAJEH

Rotorhead
08-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Well, I can actually say, he was a big reason we lost that game to the Pats. I dont blame him though, as he is a young safety that is still learning. But getting beat deep 2x for TD's hurt in that game. And he did it to himself with is famous prediction. Now he does have to gain some common sense real soon or I do believe he will be cut, but as far as an athlete, nobody can deny his ability. I recall 2 years ago when we played the Chargers, Troy put several big hits on their "all world" tightend (forgot his name atm) in the first half and in the second he refused to go across the middle or was always looking over his shoulder and missing catches. Those big hits (which smith does quite well) changed that game and once he learns to play his position properly he will be a force to be reckoned with.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-13-2008, 06:04 PM
The knucklehead is Gene Collier looking for a story and going over board with the word thug.. It happens all the time in pre season camps. Watch NFL Net W ork and you see players on other teams fighting with each other.

. :thmbup: I couldn't say it any better.

Anybody see the 1975 steelers on "America's Game", where Mike Wagner tells how somebody in the secondary just laid out Lynn Swann in practice on a crossing route??

Its Football, not Tennis and people are gonna get hit!!!

HometownGal
08-13-2008, 06:04 PM
As I've said in other threads, Anthony has an assload of talent, but he needs to channel his aggression properly, learn to follow the rules and grow the FU. :doh:

"I know you can't do that. It was something that happened. You got to know who you're hitting and just be cautious. You can't hit certain people like that."

Hey dum dum - NON-CONTACT means just that - NO CONTACT. Doesn't matter if it's one of our elite or one of our Gatorade servers. Those flaps on the side of your head aren't there to look pretty. LISTEN to what your coaches preach and LEARN to follow the freakin' rules.

Atlanta Dan
08-13-2008, 06:23 PM
And what would be a more logical response to criticism of Smith's conduct than playing the race card?

Ryan Clark, who is competing with Smith for the starting job at free safety, went a step further.

"Not to bring race into it, but is it because he is black that these acts are called thuggery?" Clark said. "Because a man has tattoos or may play a certain way, it doesn't make him a thug."

"(Former NFL linebacker) Bill Romanowski spit in a man's face on the field, (hurt) one of his teammates to the point that he was sued and the word thuggery was never used."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/multimedia/s_582547.html

Not to bring race into it?:sofunny:

As for nobody ever calling Romo a thug (because he is white Ryan?), just take a stroll through Google

The official team punishment called for an undisclosed fine and a one-day suspension.

Talk about a thug getting off easy.

Make no mistake, that's what Bill Romanowski is.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-7506872_ITM

But I say there's one individual who has gotten a free ride -- Bill Romanowski.

Sure, this thug has taken some hits here and there, but nothing like the aforementioned players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jimmy_traina/10/20/the.rant/index.html

Atlanta Dan
08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
:thmbup: I couldn't say it any better.

Anybody see the 1975 steelers on "America's Game", where Mike Wagner tells how somebody in the secondary just laid out Lynn Swann in practice on a crossing route??

Its Football, not Tennis and people are gonna get hit!!!

Yep - I saw it - and cited that very quote in an earlier post regarding Smith - and what was the rest of Wagner's story? The next day the Steelers were told receivers were not to be hit during practice

As for it not being tennis, the policy now in Steelers camp is the receivers do not get hit; Smith is too undisciplined or too ignorant (probably both) to get that.

Preacher
08-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Yep - I saw it - and cited that very quote in an earlier post regarding Smith - and what was the rest of Wagner's story? The next day the Steelers were told receivers were not to be hit during practice

As for it not being tennis, the policy now in Steelers camp is the receivers do not get hit; Smith is too undisciplined or too ignorant (probably both) to get that.

Simple question...

Were you ticked off at Greene and Lloyd when they did the same things?

Godfather
08-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Anthony Smith needs a blanket party courtesy of his teammates.

lilyoder6
08-13-2008, 07:40 PM
yea for blanket party

PisnNapalm
08-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Lol he fired up the Pats? I think bellicheat does that. You guys blame a safety for that loss? How bout they were just better. How many predictions did other team make vs the Pats? That tells me they dont need to be fired up. We lost because they were better and they cheat, period. I'll ask again, how many times did Troy get toasted as a young safety? How many vets did harrison blow up as a youngster? How many guys did he beat up as a young LB? Both of the aforementioned players are doing well for us and Smith will too, give him time. You guys are smarter than the Rooneys, they see something in the kid. I guess you guys agree with the THUG label too hunh? Am I the only white guy on this thread that judges people by ability and not color?

Who shot his mouth off about beating the Pats and then got burned badly for two touchdown passes against the Pats?

As for your racist innuendo... *finger* Don't even go there pal.

Pacman Jones = thug

Anthony Smith = dumbass

The difference between Tory getting burned and Smith getting burned is Troy never played the part of a profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery hothead.

jjpro11
08-13-2008, 07:52 PM
there are plenty of "thugs" in the nfl, and smith isnt one of them.. he is undisciplined and immature.. but not a thug. there are a couple of other steelers on the team right now that because of their past history are closer to being a thug than smith.

Scalaid6
08-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Whats he supposed to say? WERE GONNA LOSE? Question: Did Troy get beat early in his career? Good thing you braniacs arent in management because Troy would be gone. Its smiths fault we lost because of his guarantee. Wonder if the Jets said the same thing to Namath? Gave me the finger? I'M #1 I'M #1 . Tell Pacman hes a thug I dont care about pacman. I dont know any dumbasses that can play TWO positions in the NFL (FS.SS) Takes a dumbass to know one lol

HometownGal
08-13-2008, 08:00 PM
http://www.lordclover.com/conor/chuck.gif

Atlanta Dan
08-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Simple question...

Were you ticked off at Greene and Lloyd when they did the same things?

When did Greene and Lloyd: hit a receiver in practice (as Smith hit Reid in practice), be told by Cowher to cut it out (as Smith was told); then tee off on a team leader in practice the next week (I cannot think of a receiver at that time that has the current stature of Ward) which resulted in Cowher, an offensive coach, and the D coordinator all saying stop it; after having been told to quit showboating after an INT or (in their case) sack; and baited an All Pro QB (I guess it would have been Young or Aikman at the time) which resulted in being embarassed on the field and benched for more sorry play the next week?.

If i would have known of that history at the time (classless acts combined with ignoring coaches' instructions to cut it out) yeah I would have said Greene or Lloyd were out of line, even though Pro Bowlers presumably have a little more credit in the bank by backing up their talk, as opposed to a punk (not thug) who is only Pro Bowl caliber at running his mouth.

But to specifically respond to your question, exactly what did Greene or Lloyd do that was "the same thing"?

wootawnee
08-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Football when it all boils down to it is an Oklahoma Drill.....You can have all that nice guy stuff, and skill guy stuff, and speak with a nice tounge stuff, but what football is, is brutal........You put 2 blocking dummies down 5 yards apart....Line up in between them....One blocker...One D guy......One back getting a hand off.......One side tries to get through......One side tries to stuff it...........Its big hits.....Its what isolates people and shows who got it........It carts off the weak........It shows who is strong and it shows who wants it........Oklahoma Drills will show you who you want on your team......Not this stupid made up Media garbage......Media garbage spun what A.Smith said into what they wanted to print........Media garbage is all over the place now and up all the players rears they can't even be humans without being disected and judged........But most of these media dudes never were in an Oklahoma Drill.......They never were in the moment of high intensity hitting........They really don't know what is going on.....What football is all about......They just want people to hear what they say ....They want to write a story about something they made up......They want to selll newspapers and TV time..........This kind of nit picking is what they do best.........But beleive me......In those 5 yard in between those blocking dummies .....There is no room or time for nit picking......Nit pickers never make it or win in them trenches......So button up that chin srap and keep knockin dudes out A. Smith........Cause that is what football is all about, brother..........

tony hipchest
08-13-2008, 08:27 PM
But to specifically respond to your question, exactly what did Greene or Lloyd do that was "the same thing"?they used to clobber jim miller when he ran the scout team and constantly get yelled at by cowher to stop. (im sure cowher loved it).

even funnier was greg lloyd walking up to miller in the locker room and punching him in the gut for grins and to test his mettle.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=26010&highlight=miller

RoethlisBURGHer
08-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Scalaid6, Anthony Smith is way different from a Troy Polamalu.

First, Polamalu was a first round pick. He is also the only player on our defense that is allowed to freelance. He's not asked to specificly play within the system but to go more on instinct.

Second, Anthony Smith doesn't seem so far to have a good enough head on his shoulders to be a starter in the NFL at this point in his career. He gets burned deep a lot, he bites on the play-action a ton, and he's always looking for the big hit isntead of making a solid tackle which leads to a lot of whiffs.

Also, Smith has shown much disrespect to his teammates and coaches in this training camp by waving off the coaches and hitting players in the non-contact drills.

Now I will not call Smith a thug because he has had no run-ins with law enforcment, his hit on Ward was a complete cheap shot. Ward was turned around to go back into the WR line when Smith leveled him. The way he went about it had thug written all over it, because a thug will blindside you from behind.

Now if Smith doesn't smarten up and start doing what he's told, he'll find himself cut from the team.

And don't forget, it wasn't Mike Tomlin who had a hand in drafting Smith. Smith came in from Cowher's last draft class. So I don't expect Tomlin to have the patience with Smith that Cowher might have had, because Smith isn't a guy Tomlin nessicarily wanted.

PisnNapalm
08-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Whats he supposed to say? WERE GONNA LOSE? Question: Did Troy get beat early in his career? Good thing you braniacs arent in management because Troy would be gone. Its smiths fault we lost because of his guarantee. Wonder if the Jets said the same thing to Namath? Gave me the finger? I'M #1 I'M #1 . Tell Pacman hes a thug I dont care about pacman. I dont know any dumbasses that can play TWO positions in the NFL (FS.SS) Takes a dumbass to know one lol

There have been lots of dumbasses in the NFL. A player's skill does not determine whether or not he's a dumbass , his actions on and off the field do. I think leveling a team leader and best receiver the Steelers have ever had during practice makes Smith a dumbass.

I think that you implying that because someone is white they can't properly judge a black man's ability makes you a dumbass.

Scalaid6
08-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Tony the bottom line is they DONT LIKE SMITH, thats the bottom line. They should just say that and be done with it. Who let the team down by riding a motorcycle w/o a helmet and ruined the WHOLE season? Whats more detrimental? Smith is no Ben but still, right is right and wrong is wrong.

NJarhead
08-13-2008, 08:41 PM
they used to clobber jim miller when he ran the scout team and constantly get yelled at by cowher to stop. (im sure cowher loved it).

even funnier was greg lloyd walking up to miller in the locker room and punching him in the gut for grins and to test his mettle.

Yep. In fact here's a direct quote from the great Mr. Lloyd: "Shit, I don't even like our own quarterback."

NJarhead
08-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Oh Fock, who gives a :poop: what he said prior to the Patrifags game last season?
His comments about New Gayland didn't give him a bad name. Where did you come up with that notion?

He guaranteed victory, big effing deal. The only thing that came of that was Smith's peformance on game day made him look like a rookie.

I agee, but Smith didn't just say, "I guarantee a victory." He said (and I'm paraphrasing), "if we go out and do everything we practiced I know we can win this game."

The media folks led him into the guarantee by asking, "so you guarantee a victory?"

Smith, "If we play as good as we practiced, yes."

They pushed him further until they got what they wanted. The headline:

Steeler's Smith Guarantees Victory over the Pats!

The only thing is he didn't attempt to clarify his statement even though what really happened was on video. He never backed down. Personally, I really don't see how he could have. His only fault there is the inability to control an interview with the media. Anyone who saw the interview and agreed it was a big deal (Patriot Nation) is a major idiot.

RoethlisBURGHer
I think we are all in agreement that Anthony Smith isn't a thug. As far as we know, he's had no run-ins with the law.

He has just had run-ins with teammates and coaches.

Scalaid6
Lloyd is a dumbass, he has rocks for brains. Come on guys lets be consistent. If its wrong for one its wrong for all

Scalaid6
08-13-2008, 08:51 PM
I wouldnt call smiths incidents "run ins" with coaches. Hes just aggrssive EVERY NFL coach has that problem with guys who like to hit. You guys are over reacting. Just say you dont like the guy.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-13-2008, 08:56 PM
I wouldnt call smiths incidents "run ins" with coaches. Hes just aggrssive EVERY NFL coach has that problem with guys who like to hit. You guys are over reacting. Just say you dont like the guy.

I love his intensity, he just needs to learn to channel it correctly and at the other team's wideouts isntead of our team's.

Waving off coaches, getting himself benched for actions in practice (hard hits in non-contact drills), just plain not listening to the coaches...I would call that run-ins with the coaches.

And there is a big difference between Lloyd and Greene teeing off on a scout team (often pracrice squad) QB and Smith teeing off on the greatest wideout to ever play for the Steelers. The scout team QB is never going to see a regular season snap, so if he gets hurt in practice it's no big deal. Now if Smith would have broken Ward's ribs, arm, leg, collarbone, etc. with his hit that was a blatent cheap shot...then we have a huge problem because Ward is out for an extended period of time missing games in the regular season.

See the difference now?

NJarhead
08-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Lloyd is a dumbass, he has rocks for brains.

Yea, I don't think so. I used to love watching Greg Lloyd in the early 90's and I am not alone. I have only two Jerseys on the wall in my den and #95 is one of them.

tony hipchest
08-13-2008, 09:04 PM
i wish everybody would get off theis "waving off coaches" kick or atleast provide a credible link.

he was shooing a damn bee. HE HATES BEES!

Atlanta Dan
08-13-2008, 09:05 PM
they used to clobber jim miller when he ran the scout team and constantly get yelled at by cowher to stop. (im sure cowher loved it).

Thanks for the clarification

FWIW Lloyd was never one of my favorites and based upon his post-Steelers alleged dealings with his own family members is a true thug

NJarhead
08-13-2008, 09:12 PM

FWIW Lloyd was never one of my favorites and based upon his post-Steelers alleged dealings with his own family members is a true thug

There was an article out not too long ago that cast a lot of speculation on those allegations. It was refreshing to read as I was a little disappointed in what I'd heard prior. In any event, Greg Lloyd (IMHO) will always be a Steelers Great.

Scalaid6
08-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Why would the coach DEFEND a player having RUN INS? I dont call those run ins either and YEAH provide a link to substantiate these wave offs.

NJarhead
08-13-2008, 09:26 PM
i wish everybody would get off theis "waving off coaches" kick or atleast provide a credible link.

he was shooing a damn bee. HE HATES BEES!

:rofl:

I smell bull :poop: and I want a link to this supposed bee story Tony. :chuckle:

xfl2001fan
08-13-2008, 09:36 PM

I smell bull :poop: and I want a link to this supposed bee story Tony. :chuckle:

He was exaggerating...it was a horsefly.

Preacher
08-13-2008, 09:36 PM

Fair enough.

And yeah, I have been dissapointed by how he has treated his family as well. If it is true (haven't researched... only heard what I can call rumors--you know, BB speculation), then yes, a complete thug.

HometownGal
08-13-2008, 09:52 PM
I think we are all in agreement that Anthony Smith isn't a thug. As far as we know, he's had no run-ins with the law.

He has just had run-ins with teammates and coaches.

I agree- I wouldn't put Anthony in the "thug" category at all.

I would, however (at this point) place him in the "needs to get that huge chip off his shoulder, grow up and fast" category.

NJarhead
08-13-2008, 09:54 PM
I agree- I wouldn't put Anthony in the "thug" category at all.

I would, however (at this point) place him in the "needs to get that huge chip off his shoulder, grow up and fast" category.

Yep. He lacks maturity and perhaps a little humility.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-13-2008, 09:59 PM

Yes, and Wagner said the whole defense lamented what they called "The Lynn Swann Rule"....like it was some wimpy exception made for their #1 draft pick.

Wagner then goes on to say, " To Lynn's credit....he didnt care. He would go over the middle and take a hit to make the catch. Everybody talks of the gracefullness and the name Swann....but Lynn was like a prizefighter, he was tough"

I like the old school contact personally, but think Smith shouldnt go headhunting if that is what he is doing. I like Smith as a player and hope he gets to see more of the field, but really think he is a SS not a FS.

tony hipchest
08-13-2008, 10:12 PM

I smell bull :poop: and I want a link to this supposed bee story Tony. :chuckle:nah, seriously, its true. appearantly he was attacked by a hive of bees as a kid.

word is, as a practical joke, hines ward put black tape on his yellow practice jersey simulating a bumblebee and it triggered a flashback. :noidea:

Scalaid6
08-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Scalaid6, Anthony Smith is way different from a Troy Polamalu.

First, Polamalu was a first round pick. He is also the only player on our defense that is allowed to freelance. He's not asked to specificly play within the system but to go more on instinct.

Second, Anthony Smith doesn't seem so far to have a good enough head on his shoulders to be a starter in the NFL at this point in his career. He gets burned deep a lot, he bites on the play-action a ton, and he's always looking for the big hit isntead of making a solid tackle which leads to a lot of whiffs.

Also, Smith has shown much disrespect to his teammates and coaches in this training camp by waving off the coaches and hitting players in the non-contact drills.

Now I will not call Smith a thug because he has had no run-ins with law enforcment, his hit on Ward was a complete cheap shot. Ward was turned around to go back into the WR line when Smith leveled him. The way he went about it had thug written all over it, because a thug will blindside you from behind.

Now if Smith doesn't smarten up and start doing what he's told, he'll find himself cut from the team.

And don't forget, it wasn't Mike Tomlin who had a hand in drafting Smith. Smith came in from Cowher's last draft class. So I don't expect Tomlin to have the patience with Smith that Cowher might have had, because Smith isn't a guy Tomlin nessicarily wanted.

Obviously you dont remember young Troy getting beat deep alot and biting on the play action. ALL young players experience this, its called growing pains. The guy is a two position player, I am with the Steelers brass lets wait and see. Keep in mind, although Tomlin might not have drafted him (actually NO steeler coach draft people they have small input) but it was Tomlin who defended him and with good reason.

NJarhead
08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
nah, seriously, its true. appearantly he was attacked by a hive of bees as a kid.

word is, as a practical joke, hines ward put black tape on his yellow practice jersey simulating a bumblebee and it triggered a flashback. :noidea:

So the hit was warranted then. Good stuff, thanks Tony.
Man, if it wasn't for you the rest of us would just think he was an idiot. :chuckle:

NJarhead
08-13-2008, 10:31 PM
but it was Tomlin who defended him and with good reason.

Yep, and I'll bet that will go a long way with Smith himself. At least it should and I hope that proves true.

lilyoder6
08-13-2008, 10:55 PM
there was another article that came out about other players backing up smith.. if ryan clark said that he's not a thug,, and the "hit" u all are bitching about w/ ward.. clark said he had 1 leg in the air when he got hit( clark said tapped) and he fell down and when he ward got up he was smiling..

tony hipchest
08-13-2008, 11:01 PM
So the hit was warranted then. Good stuff, thanks Tony.
Man, if it wasn't for you the rest of us would just think he was an idiot. :chuckle:no problem. i just hate when message board gossip clouds the truth of a situation. :blah:

Scalaid6
08-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Couldnt agree with you more Tony

rbryan
08-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Yeah we should get rid of him. He's really mean and beats up on all the other kids. Theres no room for that here.

When he gets arrested for DUI, slappin bitches, toting gats, or trafficing let me know. Anyone who wants to ride him out of town for what he's done so far is missing the point.

X-Terminator
08-14-2008, 12:38 AM
It just KILLS me how Smith makes a guarantee that wasn't really a guarantee after being goaded by a reporter, the Steelers lose and all of a sudden, he's the anti-christ who must be banished. This after getting all of those accolades for his big hits and knocking Chad Johnson's gold teef out.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Steelers fans are the most fickle, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately fan base in the entire NFL, and this thread proves it.

Steel Pit
08-14-2008, 01:04 AM
It just KILLS me how Smith makes a guarantee that wasn't really a guarantee after being goaded by a reporter, the Steelers lose and all of a sudden, he's the anti-christ who must be banished. This after getting all of those accolades for his big hits and knocking Chad Johnson's gold teef out.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Steelers fans are the most fickle, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately fan base in the entire NFL, and this thread proves it.

I'm with you X and my previous post on this topic proves it.

Scalaid6
08-14-2008, 01:47 AM
@"X"
TEEF??? GOTTA LOVE THAT SLANG LOL

SteelersMongol
08-14-2008, 02:53 AM
Steelers coach, teammates defend Anthony Smith

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin strongly condemned a recent story that he said characterized Anthony Smith as a thug because of the free safety's aggressive nature.

Ryan Clark, who is competing with Smith for the starting job at free safety, went a step further.

"Not to bring race into it, but is it because he is black that these acts are called thuggery?" Clark said. "Because a man has tattoos or may play a certain way, it doesn't make him a thug."

Smith became a hot-button issue last week when he collided with Hines Ward in practice and knocked the veteran wide receiver to the ground.

Smith's hits on wide receivers in practice have earned him past rebukes from his coaches and teammates. The Steelers, however, have rallied around the third-year man whose brashness on the field, not to mention a brash prediction he offered last season, have made him a convenient target for criticism.

Tomlin said at a news conference Wednesday that associating Smith with the word thug crossed the line.

Smith also took exception to it.

"I never mugged anybody or robbed anybody," he said. "I got a clean record so I don't know how I can be classified as a thug."

"You've never heard of Anthony Smith being in a bar brawl. You've never heard of him carrying a gun, things that you associate with thuggery," Clark said. "(Former NFL linebacker) Bill Romanowski spit in a man's face on the field, (hurt) one of his teammates to the point that he was sued and the word thuggery was never used."

Ward didn't say much last week after his encounter with Smith, but he clearly wasn't happy about getting hit after making a catch.

Smith, who will play Thursday against the Bills in Toronto after missing the Steelers' preseason opener, said he and Ward have talked and that the two are fine. He said the collision seemed worse than it appeared because of the sounds his and Ward's pads made when they hit.

"You're not supposed to touch Hines, we understand that, but if you had a chance to watch the tape (Smith) literally tapped him," Clark said. "Hines had one foot up, he did a Manu Ginobili flop, and when he was on the ground when you look at the picture, he was smiling."

Smith hasn't always made his teammates and coaches smile.

During his rookie season, he drew the wrath of defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau for high-stepping at the end of a play in which he had intercepted a pass. Last year, Smith made an ill-fated guarantee that the Steelers would beat the unbeaten New England Patriots.

He made enough mistakes in that 34-13 loss and in the games that followed that Smith eventually was replaced in the starting lineup by Tyrone Carter.

His hit on Ward seemed to offer more proof that he is too interested in making the big hit to start at free safety. When the criticism opened up Smith for what his coaches and teammates saw as an attack on his character, they came to his defense.

"He's not a thug," Tomlin said. "He's a young professional football player who is trying to be at his best who happens to play the game very physically. We understand that perception all of the time is not reality, but some things are written or said that are hurtful."

Smith said he didn't read the story that touched off such a strong reaction among Tomlin and his teammates.

"I just think it was an ignorant statement," Smith said. "To put me in that category, I don't think is right."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_582547.html?source=rss&feed=9

This is what U call a TEAM! :tt02:

BlastFurnace
08-14-2008, 11:52 AM
I don't think the kid is a thug, criminal, bad guy, etc. I just think he has to be smarter than he has displayed....and prove himself to be a NFL safety in his 3rd year. Big hitters with no coverage skills are always abused in the NFL...see Roy Williams of Dallas....overrated by the press...abused by NFL quarterbacks.

Godfather
08-14-2008, 12:00 PM
nah, seriously, its true. appearantly he was attacked by a hive of bees as a kid.

I thought that was a reference to that one Martin Lawrence movie.

Atlanta Dan
08-14-2008, 01:01 PM

Some of us were down on Smith well before the New England fiasco, based upon his INT strut in Charlotte and secondary play last fall

And if you have been researching 31fan message boards in order to conclude Steelers fans are the most fickle fan base in the NFL, well good luck with that:chuckle:

Tomlin put Smith back on the bench and replaced him with Canton bound Tyrone Carter for Smith's sorry play, not the fickle fans

Lord Stiller
08-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Tomlin put Smith back on the bench and replaced him with Canton bound Tyrone Carter for Smith's sorry play, not the fickle fans

I wish they could have just fined him or disciplined him another way.

If Smith started the playoff game over Carter, I think we win that game

SteelMember
08-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Some of us were down on Smith well before the New England fiasco, based upon his INT strut in Charlotte and secondary play last fall

And if you have been researching 31fan message boards in order to conclude Steelers fans are the most fickle fan base in the NFL, well good luck with that:chuckle:

Canton,GA?:huh:

http://www.nfl.com/players/tyronecarter/profile?id=CAR749177

Scalaid6
08-14-2008, 01:53 PM
I agree Tyrone Carter is a Bum

lilyoder6
08-14-2008, 01:57 PM
his own teammates are behind him so y can't u ppl e?

Atlanta Dan
08-14-2008, 02:48 PM
his own teammates are behind him so y can't u ppl e?

For public consumption the players and coaches are behind him - no shock there

I have my doubts Smith is as beloved as the quotes might lead one to believe - since he is not my co-worker and I do not have to see him at work every day I have no need to rally round someone who keeps screwing up.

I root for laundry :chuckle:

Godfather
08-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Canton,GA?:huh:

http://www.nfl.com/players/tyronecarter/profile?id=CAR749177

Nah, Canton, GA is a cool place. Canton, SD is a $%^$%^&hole.

Alva Lord
08-14-2008, 05:12 PM
I've come to the conclusion that Anthony Smith is cerebrally challenged and very immature. He can't handle the free safety duties. The free safety is the QB of the defensive backs. He's better suited for the strong safety role. Trouble is, Troy is the starter. Of course Troy better get his behind on the field if he wants to keep his job. I know I'm growing weary of him being injured.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/MBlaster1/Silverbacksig540.jpg

X-Terminator
08-15-2008, 06:29 AM

Where do you get the impression that I formed my opinion strictly from reading message boards? Did you forget that I actually LIVE in Pittsburgh? No, I formed my opinion by watching and listening to Steelers fans on a daily basis living right here in the center of it all. With Steelers fans, you get ONE chance to screw up, and after that they are all over you. And yes, many of those same fans have brought that mentality over to the message boards. Hell, the fans wanted to run Troy out of town and called him a bust after his rookie season because he struggled so much. The fact is even after Smith's strut 2 years ago, the fans still loved him when he was making big hit after big hit. Then along comes the Pats* game last season, and now he's a leper. Steelers fans are fickle, spoiled, have zero patience, and they always look for a scapegoat whenever something goes wrong. You don't have to like or agree with it, but those are the facts, jack.

Preacher
08-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Where do you get the impression that I formed my opinion strictly from reading message boards? Did you forget that I actually LIVE in Pittsburgh? No, I formed my opinion by watching and listening to Steelers fans on a daily basis living right here in the center of it all. With Steelers fans, you get ONE chance to screw up, and after that they are all over you. And yes, many of those same fans have brought that mentality over to the message boards. Hell, the fans wanted to run Troy out of town and called him a bust after his rookie season because he struggled so much. The fact is even after Smith's strut 2 years ago, the fans still loved him when he was making big hit after big hit. Then along comes the Pats* game last season, and now he's a leper. Steelers fans are fickle, spoiled, have zero patience, and they always look for a scapegoat whenever something goes wrong. You don't have to like or agree with it, but those are the facts, jack.

What are you talking about?

Look how patient they were with Bradshaw!! :pity:

(sarcasm smiley needed)

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2008, 05:16 PM

Have you considered switching to decaf?

This was what you said:

If you want to say Steeler fans are a fickle, what have you done for me lately fan base, I agree with you - what fan base is not?

But to say it the most fickle fan base requires some method of comparison to other fan bases - for example, how do you know Steelers fans are more fickle than fans of the Eagles, Jets, Giants, Bears and/or Redskins? The likely method of conducting such comparisons would be to check out other forums - OTOH I suppose you can just make stuff up

X-Terminator
08-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Have you considered switching to decaf?

This was what you said:

If you want to say Steeler fans are a fickle, what have you done for me lately fan base, I agree with you - what fan base is not?

But to say it the most fickle fan base requires some method of comparison to other fan bases - for example, how do you know Steelers fans are more fickle than fans of the Eagles, Jets, Giants, Bears and/or Redskins? The likely method of conducting such comparisons would be to check out other forums - OTOH I suppose you can just make stuff up

I don't believe I'm making up a damn thing. I live HERE. I see what I see HERE. Steelers fans are what I said. Case closed. Would you care to prove me wrong, or will you just stoop to calling me a liar again?

BTW, I am on another message board (not football-related) that has a football forum and interact with plenty of fans from other teams, including those you mentioned. Other than Eagles fans, the other ones you mentioned are less fickle and what-have-you-done-for-me-lately than Steelers fans.

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2008, 09:28 PM
I don't believe I'm making up a damn thing. I live HERE. I see what I see HERE. Steelers fans are what I said. Case closed. Would you care to prove me wrong, or will you just stoop to calling me a liar again?

BTW, I am on another message board (not football-related) that has a football forum and interact with plenty of fans from other teams, including those you mentioned. Other than Eagles fans, the other ones you mentioned are less fickle and what-have-you-done-for-me-lately than Steelers fans.

Calm down and consider fixing that problem with your caps lock - I did not say you were a liar - that would require you to know whether any of the 31 other teams had more fickle fans - i am not contending you have developed that degree of knowledge

Either you can reliably compare the Steelers fan base with those of 31 other teams or you cannot - you live in Pittsburgh (and presumably not any other NFL city as well) and I assume spend much more of your time on a Steelers message board as compared to boards for other teams- if you think that qualifies you as an expert on all 32 teams fan bases then so be it

And thanks for conceding that, apparently based on the non-football site on which you engage in football discussions with fans of other (all 31 other?) teams, Eagles fans are at least as fickle - that would appear to impeach your contention about Steelers fans bring the most fickle, but maybe that is not what you are saying

Preacher
08-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Well... Let me step into this...

Living (and have lived) in areas considered territory of the. . .

Seahawks, Raiders, 49rs, Bengals, and to a lesser extent, the Browns,

I gotta say that Steelers fans are more fickle than ANY of them... turning on their players VERY quickly.

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Well... Let me step into this...

Living (and have lived) in areas considered territory of the. . .

Seahawks, Raiders, 49rs, Bengals, and to a lesser extent, the Browns,

I gotta say that Steelers fans are more fickle than ANY of them... turning on their players VERY quickly.

You will notice my inquiries were not about Left Coast teams (hell, LA does not even have a NFL team and is able to deal with that) - for example, I live in Atlanta and also have lived in Raleigh-Durham & Nashville - the passion in the Southeast is not for pro sports but for college sports) = football in Tennessee & Georgia + basketball in Carolina (in my first year of law school a Tennessee fan paid for a moving van to pull up to the house of coach Bill Battle and, when Johnny Majors was hired, a 25 part biography of Majors ran in The Tennessean - Majors of course was run out in the 1990s)

IMO the most passionate pro sports fans are in the Northeast (and Pittsburgh has in my mind been at the border of the East and the Midwest) - but I do not know because I do not follow the entire nation - all I am saying is if anyone is claimed to be the best or worst in anything you have to be able to say why the comparators do not match up

X-Terminator
08-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Calm down and consider fixing that problem with your caps lock - I did not say you were a liar - that would require you to know whether any of the 31 other teams had more fickle fans - i am not contending you have developed that degree of knowledge

Either you can reliably compare the Steelers fan base with those of 31 other teams or you cannot - you live in Pittsburgh (and presumably not any other NFL city as well) and I assume spend much more of your time on a Steelers message board as compared to boards for other teams- if you think that qualifies you as an expert on all 32 teams fan bases then so be it

And thanks for conceding that, apparently based on the non-football site on which you engage in football discussions with fans of other (all 31 other?) teams, Eagles fans are at least as fickle - that would appear to impeach your contention about Steelers fans bring the most fickle, but maybe that is not what you are saying

I don't think I consider myself an expert on anything. That is for some former member who shall remain nameless. I only go on what I have observed over the years. And OK, maybe I shouldn't have said living here is the only basis for my sentiment, because I have interacted with more than just Steelers fans. I've interacted with fans from just about every team in the league (and the other MB I frequent has a thread for nearly every team), so it isn't like I'm talking out of my ass here. And I didn't say Eagles fans were as fickle, they are ALMOST as fickle, well, because it's Killadelphia. Steelers fans still have them beat.

I would also appreciate it if you NOT talk to me like I'm a 5 year old kid just because I have an opinion you don't like. I DO have a brain, thank you very much.

HometownGal
08-15-2008, 11:20 PM

Totally agree with both you and XT. :drink: Steelers fans as a whole are extremely spoiled from the 3-1/2 decades of a mostly winning tradition, and some act like it is their God given right to be fans of a Super Bowl champion team year in and year out which is, in reality, impossible.

How would some of these spoiled brats enjoy being a Lions or Cards fan? :doh:

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2008, 11:28 PM
I don't think I consider myself an expert on anything. That is for some former member who shall remain nameless. I only go on what I have observed over the years. And OK, maybe I shouldn't have said living here is the only basis for my sentiment, because I have interacted with more than just Steelers fans. I've interacted with fans from just about every team in the league (and the other MB I frequent has a thread for nearly every team), so it isn't like I'm talking out of my ass here. And I didn't say Eagles fans were as fickle, they are ALMOST as fickle, well, because it's Killadelphia. Steelers fans still have them beat.

I would also appreciate it if you NOT talk to me like I'm a 5 year old kid just because I have an opinion you don't like. I DO have a brain, thank you very much.

I apologize if you believe I responded to your posts as if you were a 5 year old - that was not my intent and I do not believe you could cite anything in my posts that described you as a child or said you were a liar. I challenged your post - sorry you took exception

:drink:

But please consider losing the CAPS = that is the universal symbol of shouting and I do not think anything I posted justified that response either:thumbsup:

X-Terminator
08-15-2008, 11:34 PM
I apologize if you believe I responded to your posts as if you were a 5 year old - that was not my intent and I do not believe you could cite anything in my posts that described you as a child or said you were a liar. I challenged your post - sorry you took exception

:drink:

But please consider losing the CAPS = that is the universal symbol of shouting and I do not think anything I posted justified that response either:thumbsup:

It is, but I use CAPS for emphasis, not shouting, and because admittedly I'm too lazy to switch to italics. :wink02: Easily mistaken - after all, it is an internet forum. :thumbsup:

I did feel as if the tone of your posts were condescending, but again, that can be easily mistaken since we're not talking face-to-face. If that wasn't your intent, then I apologize. No harm, no foul! :drink:

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2008, 11:45 PM
It is, but I use CAPS for emphasis, not shouting, and because admittedly I'm too lazy to switch to italics. :wink02: Easily mistaken - after all, it is an internet forum. :thumbsup:

I did feel as if the tone of your posts were condescending, but again, that can be easily mistaken since we're not talking face-to-face. If that wasn't your intent, then I apologize. No harm, no foul! :drink:

:hug:

Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya

O Lord, kumbaya
Kum ba yah, my Lord, kum ba yah

Oh Lord, kum ba yah
Someone’s laughing, Lord, kumbaya