PDA

View Full Version : 2009 nfldraftcountdown update

Aussie_steeler
08-14-2008, 06:47 AM
One of the draft sites that I regularly go to has had its first 2009 update. I know its still preseason but some of you cant resist....just like me.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

As with a lot of sites this early on, the mocksters still cant get over Fanecas departure and see that the steelers must find a Faneca clone.

As the season progresses they may well see that Kemo is a more than adequate replacement. This may see a shift away from guard as the first need.

The first mock predictably has a guard, Duke Robinson from Oklahoma, as the steeler pick at #25

Interestingly they have Fili Moala at #30. I have seen him as high as #1 on some early boards.

Will anyone fall as far as Adarius Bowman did this year from this first list?

Texasteel
08-14-2008, 03:57 PM
I think Duke Robinson is going to be an outstanding player, but right now I'm sticking with the OT Alex Boone.
Aussie, you can bet that someone that we all think will go high will slide deep into the draft. It happens every year.

Elvis
08-18-2008, 06:01 AM
Unless something tragic happens to Michael Crabtree this season, there is NO way he drops that far!!

:noidea:

Brandon
08-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Alex Boone or Andre Smith would look great on this team. Problem is, I'm worried all the good tackles will be gone by our pick. Take this for examples, a guy like Sam Baker went I believe 21st overall, a complete laugher of a pick, but the Falcons had to make a move or a team would have taken him.

Franchise tackles are a dime a dozen, and if you can get one, you're set at that position for 10-15 years.

Texasteel
08-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Alex Boone or Andre Smith would look great on this team. Problem is, I'm worried all the good tackles will be gone by our pick. Take this for examples, a guy like Sam Baker went I believe 21st overall, a complete laugher of a pick, but the Falcons had to make a move or a team would have taken him.

Franchise tackles are a dime a dozen, and if you can get one, you're set at that position for 10-15 years.

Smith will be the best or 2nd best OT in the draft if he comes out, and will be gone long before we pick. Boone on the other hand has a good chance of making it to us, but if he doesn't, like I've been saying I think this is a very deep draft for OTs.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-20-2008, 07:51 PM
The Steelers have to spend 4-5 picks to address the lines on both sides of the ball....Plus we should receive another pick for the loss of Faneca......Possibly another 3rd.....

In the first we have to to look at OT or DE......Plus maybe even a NT......A center has to be drafted on the first day of the draft.....I really like the kid from Arkansas or Unger from Oregon......Coach Tomlin stresses position flexibility and Unger played OT before and is now a center......

Texasteel
08-20-2008, 08:39 PM
The Steelers have to spend 4-5 picks to address the lines on both sides of the ball....Plus we should receive another pick for the loss of Faneca......Possibly another 3rd.....

In the first we have to to look at OT or DE......Plus maybe even a NT......A center has to be drafted on the first day of the draft.....I really like the kid from Arkansas or Unger from Oregon......Coach Tomlin stresses position flexibility and Unger played OT before and is now a center......

I think this is going to be a good year to get this done. I already have a DE and NT in mind and intend to watch as much of them as I can. Personally there are several OTs that I like and honestly think we will get a very good one. There are only 2 C that I really care for, but LLT put a bee in head about a third and will be keeping a close eye on him.
I completely agree with you that we probable should draft 4 linemen, 2 D-linemen, and 2 O-linemen.
I also think that we should have 4 picks in the 1st 3 rounds, but I am hoping that they spend 1 on a CB, again I have to on me wish list that I intend to watch this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-21-2008, 09:33 AM
All the guard nonsense is hilarious. Just like last season everybody was about Albert, Rachal or Scheuing going to the Steelers.....didnt happen then, not gonna happen now with Kemo, Simmons, Mahan, Stapleton, Essex able to play guard.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-21-2008, 09:37 AM
The Steelers have to spend 4-5 picks to address the lines on both sides of the ball

All you guys keep saying the same thing.....we need to draft O-line and D-line. :blah:
Its getting pretty repetitive and some of us have a problem with this same old song you keep singing:chuckle:

Texasteel
08-21-2008, 03:25 PM
All you guys keep saying the same thing.....we need to draft O-line and D-line. :blah:
Its getting pretty repetitive and some of us have a problem with this same old song you keep singing:chuckle:

Then turn down the radio.

Pittsburghfan
08-24-2008, 04:50 PM
I know this is mostly about Linemen and whatnot. But I would like to get your take on trindon Holliday (something like that) KR for LSU whatever they are in college.

I think he is going into the draft this year he is a WR I know we have quite a few .

What are the chances the Steelers may get him? He is considered the fastest player in football pro or other. It would address atleast a little special teams problems. Sor

Rhee Rhee
10-10-2008, 01:42 AM
All the guard nonsense is hilarious. Just like last season everybody was about Albert, Rachal or Scheuing going to the Steelers.....didnt happen then, not gonna happen now with Kemo, Simmons, Mahan, Stapleton, Essex able to play guard.

quality over quantity my friend.

a position i would like to see adressed other than OL or DL is WR/CB... with posession guys like demetrius byrd and juaquin iglesias i see more than enough potential to take over hines' job of going over the middle...

santonio holmes and limas are deep threats whether we like it or not... santonio is good at slants and quickouts but going over the middle is an entirely different concept.. while he has shown the ability to go over the middle he's much better suited with getting behind the defense and flying...

there are a lot of CBs this year and seeing as though we probably won't re-sign mcfadden nor will townsend ever get younger I hope we can nab one in the second or third.. kevin barnes from maryland and ryan palmer from texas come to mind... as potentially solid #2 corners later on down the road...

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-10-2008, 09:01 AM
I agree. Last spring I said our priorities should be O-line, D-line, CB in the draft. We did nothing but Tony Hills in the 4th round.

This year, might have to state O-line, O-line, D-line, CB as priorities.

SunshineMan21
10-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Honestly, I think we need to state O-Line, O-Line, and O-Line as our priorities. D-Line is mostly a depth need, and DB is a very minor need compared to OL.

Steelers Since '75
10-13-2008, 11:54 AM
If we end up around the same place in the draft next year... hopefully we draft last :tt: then you will see the FO and Tomlin grab the best player available... the Steelers DO NOT reach to fill a need. If a good o-line / d-line choice is there we will take him... otherwise don't be surprised to see another offensive weapon picked up... don't hate on me, it's not what I would choose to do but it's the way of the Steelers draft. I would really like to see a couple of good d-lineman selected early to get some youth injected... and who knows how long before we start seeing the Tomlin 4-3 D :noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-13-2008, 12:49 PM
I think Duke Robinson is going to be an outstanding player, but right now I'm sticking with the OT Alex Boone.
Aussie, you can bet that someone that we all think will go high will slide deep into the draft. It happens every year.

Duke Robinson is by far the best Guard coming out as of now...Boone would also be nice and I think both fit our system....However..if given my choice...I would take Tyson Jackson..the DE out of LSU.
I would go DE first only because it is harder to find "that" DE that fits our system than it is to find quality OG's or OT's.....Generally you can still find quality in 2nd round O-lineman.

MasterOfPuppets
10-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Duke Robinson is by far the best Guard coming out as of now...Boone would also be nice and I think both fit our system....However..if given my choice...I would take Tyson Jackson..the DE out of LSU.
I would go DE first only because it is harder to find "that" DE that fits our system than it is to find quality OG's or OT's.....Generally you can still find quality in 2nd round O-lineman.
is jackson even looking like he's worthy of a 1 st rd pick? i haven't heard much about him this season, and can't seem to find any stats on him.

SunshineMan21
10-13-2008, 06:57 PM
If we end up around the same place in the draft next year... hopefully we draft last :tt: then you will see the FO and Tomlin grab the best player available... the Steelers DO NOT reach to fill a need. If a good o-line / d-line choice is there we will take him... otherwise don't be surprised to see another offensive weapon picked up... don't hate on me, it's not what I would choose to do but it's the way of the Steelers draft. I would really like to see a couple of good d-lineman selected early to get some youth injected... and who knows how long before we start seeing the Tomlin 4-3 D :noidea:

I'm not sure I agree . . . the Steelers FO, while they usually don't reach, has traded up in the past (ex. Santonio Holmes). If we can't get an O or D-Lineman without moving up, I think they have to strongly consider pulling the trigger. Last year there wasn't much advantage to moving up a few slots, unless you really wanted Gosder Cherilus.

Also, I don't think Tomlin has given any indication that he's going to switch to 4-3. In fact, drafting so many linebackers and extending Farrior seems to indicate the opposite.

Texasteel
10-14-2008, 06:11 AM

I have come to the conclusion that Robinson will be gone lone before we pick, but even if he wasn't I would still rather have one of the top OTs.
I very much agree with you about Jackson, I think he is the top DE chioce for the Steelers this year. The kid was just born to be in black and gold, and the good news is that it seems he may drop to us in the 1st round, why I have no idea.
Still if Black or Monroe were still on the board when we pick it would be hard for me to pass on them, even for Jackson. BUT as you have mentioned there are some high quality OTs that will be taken in the 2nd and even the 3rd round this year.
This Is going to be a hell of a fun draft this year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-14-2008, 02:20 PM
I very much agree with you about Jackson, I think he is the top DE chioce for the Steelers this year. The kid was just born to be in black and gold, and the good news is that it seems he may drop to us in the 1st round, why I have no idea.

Here is portion of a nice read on Jackson...and a nice update....We might be able to get him in the second or third round according to what I am seeing....but just like Langford, last year...we may miss out on him if we roll the dice and wait until the second day to grab him...(wouldnt it be great if he lasted until the third and we could pick up a couple of O-linemen?)

Jackson garnered a Second Team All-SEC selection by coaches after breaking out in 2006 with 8.5 sacks and 10 TFL. He was an unknown quantity at the time and defenses paid little attention to him with Dorsey to contend with. His early success had more to do with dealing with little pressure and expectations than any real pass rushing ability. So once his name started popping up in conversations and people started paying more attention (like opposing offenses), Jackson got shut down against the pass.
His game is not based on bringing down quarterbacks, he’s just not that type of end. Jackson is a force against the run and can use his size and strength to over power tackles outside. Teams regularly run away from his side and are always conscious of where he is on the field. His best attributes are his size and versatility. He can play end in either the 4-3 or 3-4 as well as shift inside to tackle. While he’s not real ground breaking, his versatility is getting rarer in a age of 250-lbs defensive ends. He shows the ability to shed blocks quickly and would be a real problem for interior lineman if he learns some more moves. To compensate for pass rush deficiencies, Jackson uses his height and long arms to get in passing lanes and has been credited with 14 pass breakups the last two seasons, including 10 last year. He doesn’t post big numbers but ask any o-lineman and they will tell that he makes a tremendous impact on every game. http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009_NFL_Draft/tyson_jackson.htm

Black@Gold Forever32
10-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Dude I would take Jackson in the 2nd round....I wouldn't chance him falling to the third......He is perfect for DE in the 3-4....Draft an OT in the first and then Jackson in the 2nd...then with the third you can look for another OL....A center would be nice....

Plus we should receive and extra third....

Texasteel
10-14-2008, 08:13 PM
I really think that by the end of the combines Jackson will have worked his way back into the late 1st round. I can remember another Steeler draft pick that was thought of as a possible 1st round pick and after the experts had time to pick him apart his Sr. year slid into the 2nd round. I'm not comparing the players, just the situation. If that draft was held today would you spend a late 1st on Woodley if you didn't know we would get him in the 2nd.
If we get Jackson in the 2nd round I will dance a gig, tape it, and send it to you, but I got to tell you, one of the big OTs in the 1st and Jackson in the 2nd would make this draft an instant success IMO.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-15-2008, 08:54 AM
How happy would you be to see:

Round 1: OT Alex Boone from Ohio State... 6'8 314 lbs
Round 2: DE Tyson Jackson from LSU... 6'5 292 lbs.
Round 3: OG/OT Louis Vasquez from Texas Tech 6'6 330 lbs
Round 3: CB Mark Parson from Ohio 5'10 Weight: 192
Round 4: DT B.J. Raji from Boston College 6'1 325 lbs
Round 5: SS/FS Troy Nolan from Arizona State 6'2 204 lbs
Round 6 FB/TE Marquez Branson from Central Arkansas 6'2 245 lbs
Round 7: ILB/ST Ronnie Palmer from Arizona 6'3 245lbs.

Texasteel
10-15-2008, 10:58 AM
How happy would you be to see:

Round 1: OT Alex Boone from Ohio State... 6'8 314 lbs
Round 2: DE Tyson Jackson from LSU... 6'5 292 lbs.
Round 3: OG/OT Louis Vasquez from Texas Tech 6'6 330 lbs
Round 3: CB Mark Parson from Ohio 5'10 Weight: 192
Round 4: DT B.J. Raji from Boston College 6'1 325 lbs
Round 5: SS/FS Troy Nolan from Arizona State 6'2 204 lbs
Round 6 FB/TE Marquez Branson from Central Arkansas 6'2 245 lbs
Round 7: ILB/ST Ronnie Palmer from Arizona 6'3 245lbs.

You have been paying attention haven't ya.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-15-2008, 11:44 AM
You have been paying attention haven't ya.

All year...:sofunny:

Take a look at Vasquez...Parson...and Branson....They struck me as your type of players....Branson is listed as a TE on most charts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2008, 01:22 PM
I think Tyson Jackson would need to be picked in the 1st.

I watched Boone closely in the Wisconsin game and he is heavy footed and sometimes awkward looking in his movement. He really doesnt look like an NFL LT. He locks on and mauls defenders in the run game, but doesnt have decent footwork IMO.

I think he is a bit like the Ravens Tony Pashos, but possibly less athletic.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Still if Black or Monroe were still on the board when we pick it would be hard for me to pass on them, .

Saw this yesterday. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/10/13/draft.disappointments/index.html

Looks like Monroe might be slipping based on his play so far this year. I havent seen any virginia games, so dont really know how bad he is playing.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-15-2008, 01:52 PM
I think Tyson Jackson would need to be picked in the 1st.

I watched Boone closely in the Wisconsin game and he is heavy footed and sometimes awkward looking in his movement. He really doesnt look like an NFL LT. He locks on and mauls defenders in the run game, but doesnt have decent footwork IMO.

I think he is a bit like the Ravens Tony Pashos, but possibly less athletic.

Tyson Jackson benefited last year from so many people having to focus on Dorsey...Defenses are now focusing more on him...and his drop in numbers may drop him into the 2nd round...(hopefully).
If not I would grab him in the first with no regrets.

Boone has been suffering through a hip injury....and your right...he looks stiff...I know its hard to grade him now based on him trying to play through the injury.

Texasteel
10-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Saw this yesterday. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/10/13/draft.disappointments/index.html

Looks like Monroe might be slipping based on his play so far this year. I havent seen any virginia games, so dont really know how bad he is playing.

Very interesting Gonzo, thanks. I only saw him play once this year and I didn't think he looked that bad.

Texasteel
10-15-2008, 02:59 PM
All year...:sofunny:

Take a look at Vasquez...Parson...and Branson....They struck me as your type of players....Branson is listed as a TE on most charts.

Thanks LLT,
I know a little about Vasquez, my boss is an Agie, but really need to take another good look at him.
I want Parson, I don't care how we get him, I just want him.
I don't know anything about Branson but will definately watch for him.

Thanks partner.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Tyson Jackson benefited last year from so many people having to focus on Dorsey...Defenses are now focusing more on him...and his drop in numbers may drop him into the 2nd round...(hopefully).
If not I would grab him in the first with no regrets.

Boone has been suffering through a hip injury....and your right...he looks stiff...I know its hard to grade him now based on him trying to play through the injury.

Never knew about the hip injury. He was looking so flat footed that he didnt look like he had any agility and you are right....really stiff bending at the waist and not the knees. Have to see what he looks like later in the season.

MasterOfPuppets
10-15-2008, 06:06 PM
of course there's no way to predict how much impact jackson could have in the nfl....but does one good year out of three warrant a top 2 pick?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2008, 04:04 PM
of course there's no way to predict how much impact jackson could have in the nfl....but does one good year out of three warrant a top 2 pick?

How about Kendall Langford this year? I think the Dolphins got him with the 1st pick of the 3rd round and he is looking good for a relatively unheard of kid from Hampton. Again, he was a guy the really fits the 3-4 DE profile and I think Jackson is too.

Aussie_steeler
10-17-2008, 04:27 AM
Gonz - I caught a Wisconsin game and one potential steeler O lineman for me was Kraig Urbik playing right guard. He looked strong in the running plays particularly.

What was your take on him? I think he would be good value at the back end of the third round.