PDA

View Full Version : Running game not up to par

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Good article here.. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05326/610485.stm

Basically though, we still run the ball more than most everyone, and we still average a good chunk of yardage per game, but we're down by about 20 yds per game or so average from last year.. thats 2 crucial first downs that we may be missing out on.

So whats the deal in ur opinion? Ben has one of the highest QB ratings in the league, but not stellar numbers in terms of yardage, and thats just fine :cool: ...but is it the team trying to adjust to different styles between parker and jerome ? Injuries to the backs not letting them get into rythmn, ?

Thoughts....

Koopa
11-22-2005, 01:44 AM
i think it's cause willie isn't the back for us. if ben would've been healthy all season and we had a young power back we'd have the same amount of yards a game as last year. that's why i hope we draft lendale white cause we gonna need a back like him to compete next year

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2005, 01:53 AM
The thing that amazes me, and actually scares me is.. no matter how bad or well willie is doing..whenever Jerome comes in, he's always igniting a spark, getting positive yards, firing up the offense and the crowd. If we dont have a healthy young power back when Jerome retires, we're gonna be up shit creek w/ out a paddle.

Willie is awesome and has done well, and runs harder than you think he can for a guy his size..but its plain to see, we're gonna either need to do a dance to the healthy gods next year for Duce, or draft a young stud.

Koopa
11-22-2005, 02:01 AM
i like willie a lot and hope he can do what he did at the beginning of the season but now teams are actually game planning to stop him and it's working. i just want a young power back, i've given up on duce, and if willie doesn't prove he can carry the load against good teams then i'll probably give up on him too. hopefully willie will be up for monday night and run all over the colts so i can lose some of my doubt on him

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2005, 02:15 AM
Willie is still learning how to follow and wait for his blockers and for the lanes to open it up..no substitute for that but experience. Duce re aggravted a knee injury against the browns, so there's no telling how long he'll be out again.. :chair:

Yep, RB will be a big need next year...

Koopa
11-22-2005, 02:25 AM
well hopefully he has learned what he has to cause we gonna need him at his best monday........and what's new with duce you can predict what he's gonna hurt next, when he comes back he'll probably miss another 3 weeks with a broken nail

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2005, 03:31 AM
Yeah I wish Duce were healthy for this game as well.. we could use all 3 of them, but such is life. 14 million dollar contract and we havent gotten a full years work out of him yet.

Atlanta Dan
11-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Sounds like I was not the only one who was not thrilled that we watched Air Tommy Gun on Sunday and the play calling that ended up with a 4th and 1 sack in the 3rd Q.

Here is a Tribune-Review story:

"Steelers running back Jerome Bettis was deafeningly silent following Sunday's overtime loss to the Ravens, a departure from a player who almost never turns down an interview request.

After carrying the ball just two times for no yards, Bettis declined at least three interview requests. When asked if he would talk, Bettis quickly made his way out of the locker room and said, "No ... not talking today." The 13-year veteran did not touch the ball in the second half or overtime, including back-to-back plays in the third quarter when the Steelers faced third-and-1 and fourth-and-1 late in the third quarter at the Ravens 35. On third down, wideout Antwaan Randle El , lined up at quarterback, ran an option with starter Willie Parker , who was stopped for no gain. Then, on fourth down, quarterback Tommy Maddox was thrown for a sack and the Steelers lost the ball on downs. Against the Ravens, who stacked the line of scrimmage with their 4-4 defensive set, the Steelers ran the ball 25 times for 70 yards and passed it 38 times for 246 yards."

Then there is this quote from Willie Parker: "We had fun throwing it, but we came up short, so it kind of hurts right now. All that stuff is relevant if you get the win. We just have to go out next time and get the win."

I fail to see what was "fun" about a team getting away from what it has done best and having its QB repeatedly sacked and fumbling. This was the same problem that occurred in the Jax game when they refused to use Bettis in the second half and, for those of us with long memories, the pass happy game in the snow against the Jets in 2003 that I believe was a major factor in Cowher deciding he needed to recommit to the running game in the 2003-2004 offseason.

I don't care if the other team is in a goal line defense, if you cannot get 1 yard on 2 carries your running game is terrible. Maddox is a mess, but the play calling in both of his starts this year has definitely not helped the situation.

If you do not believe you can get short yardage with Willie Parker then don't make him your starting running back; this is beginning to resemble the Amos Zeroue disaster.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-22-2005, 10:07 AM
when ben is in the game a team cannot stack their line with 7 to 8 defenders to stop the run......and that is what is happening when Tommy whats his name is playing.
They know he cant pass the ball so they play the run all day.
That is why we threw so much against the ravens.
Unfortuently 2 things happend....Tommy cant pass the ball. and our offensive line turned into pussies......Although they might have been letting all thoes defenders through so they could sac tommy and take him out of the game.

Suitanim
11-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Yup, the game plan was to throw and beat the 10 guys in the box. It almost worked, too.

As for the running game, there are several reasons why we are down from last year. The line is just not quite as solid as it was last year. Everybody game plans us to stop the run. I think most importantly we have had almost half our games now without Ben, and that changes the complexion of the whole team. Statistically, we are going to drop in probably every category offensively a little bit more every week that he's not in there.

Ambridge
11-22-2005, 10:32 AM
when ben is in the game a team cannot stack their line with 7 to 8 defenders to stop the run......and that is what is happening when Tommy whats his name is playing.
They know he cant pass the ball so they play the run all day.
That is why we threw so much against the ravens.
Unfortuently 2 things happend....Tommy cant pass the ball. and our offensive line turned into pussies......Although they might have been letting all thoes defenders through so they could sac tommy and take him out of the game.

:iagree:

That's it right there..........Ben puts the balance in the offense.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Ive never seen Jerome be so silent or on the flip side, so openly pissed off at Cowher for not getting playing time...since He's become a steeler so long ago. How many times is Cowher gonna apologize for not using Bettis more, or not pulling this player or that player, in hindsight.

Jerome is the last guy you want to have pissed off at you..the guy has given you everything..his heart, soul, blood, sweat, tears, and if he thinks he can make a difference..dont u think u can atleast give him the benefit of the doubt ????? Im telling ya at this rate, even if Jerome wanted to come back next year, Im not sure I'd want to if I was him..even knowing that I was a role player and wasnt guaranteed much time on the field... when all else fails and u have the chance to use him and see what happens, and u continously dont do it... its just not good !! :chair:

clevestinks
11-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Defenses respect Ben! When Tommy is in, they play the run all the way!

I really thought that we had a boat load of talent at rb, before. Now I`m not as sold. Willie is not the type of back to take the heat of the qb. When the qb is playing well, he runs well. When the qb is not playing well he is not that effective. Seems to make sense, but great back still can run good enough to carry the team on days when they might be down in thier passig game. Staley is a lazy B*&(%! I really don`t like giving his guy a break, it just seems like he is here to collect a paycheck. The Bus, is a descent runner, but anymore on 3and 1, forget it. Haynes is healthy, let him play more, he picks up tough yards, I `m starting to want to see him with more carries. 06` find anither back, to go aolng with Haynes and Parker.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Haynes is good, but inconsistent.. 1 game he's breaking tackles, taking the screen pass for 20 yds.. and the next week he cant get out of his own way.

I like the way Staley runs, I have no problem with him..except that he cant stay healthy. He runs hard, breaks tackles, carries defenders...but u cant do that from the bench week in and week out.