PDA

View Full Version : Oh, Brother....

fansince'76
08-14-2008, 05:09 PM
As I live in Denver, I can't wait until the DNC starts up. :rolleyes:

Hillary supporters not giving up

By Sara Burnett, Rocky Mountain News

Hillary Clinton supporters will march through Denver during the Democratic National Convention to show appreciation for the New York senator's historic primary run and urge the party to place her name in nomination.

The city issued a permit Tuesday to Colorado Women Count/Women Vote for a parade on Aug. 26 — the 88th anniversary of women's suffrage and the date Clinton is rumored to be speaking at the DNC.

The group also will team with 18 Million Voices, a national organization of Clinton supporters, for a rally in a yet-to-be-determined Denver park.

"We just want to celebrate Hillary's accomplishments and what she's done for the country as a whole and women in particular," said Katherine Vincent, 55, of Louisville, who is organizing the parade and rally.

Vincent is among those passionate followers who believe Clinton's delegates have a right to vote for her at the convention.

"That's why they were selected," she said. "We think it would actually bring the party together."

Nationwide, Clinton's staunchest supporters refer to themselves as "PUMAs," short for "Party Unity My A--."

They are raising money to pay for buses to Denver, and setting up a headquarters at The Broker restaurant downtown, where people can "check-in" when they arrive in town.

But the efforts to put Clinton's name to a vote may be meaningless.

Clinton, who conceded to Sen. Barack Obama in June, must submit a request in writing to be nominated at the convention. According to published reports, Clinton has decided against doing so and has been urging her delegates to cast votes for Obama.

Meanwhile, the Obama campaign announced Clinton will campaign for the Illinois senator later this month in Nevada and Florida.

Jenny Backus, a senior adviser to the Obama campaign, said Clinton is working closely with the Obama camp, and will continue to be "a tremendous asset."

"Senator Clinton is going to play a critical role in the convention," Backus said.

Clinton is scheduled to speak at an Emily's List gala at the Sheraton Denver Hotel at 2 p.m. on Aug. 26. She will join Michelle Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi at the event, a celebration of women's suffrage.

Vincent is hopeful Clinton's schedule that day also will include a stop by the rally — which she says will not include any messages that are anti-Obama or pro-John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee.

"We're keeping it positive," she said. "It's a way of saying 'Thank you Hillary, we appreciate what you've done.'"

Witch's Supporters Can't Accept Defeat (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/aug/05/hillary-supporters-not-giving/)

NJarhead
08-14-2008, 05:21 PM
"It's a way of saying 'Thank you Hillary, we appreciate what you've done.'

:tap: What's she done? :hunch: :noidea:

Hammer Of The GODS
08-14-2008, 07:35 PM
HE has FOOLED all those women who are marching into believing HE is a woman!

revefsreleets
08-14-2008, 10:01 PM
You just know the whole time she'll be SEETHING inside, thinking "That should be me, that should be me, that should be me..."

Obama better watch his back...Hell hath no fury like a Clinton scorned...

Atlanta Dan
08-14-2008, 10:13 PM
You just know the whole time she'll be SEETHING inside, thinking "That should be me, that should be me, that should be me..."

Obama better watch his back...Hell hath no fury like a Clinton scorned...

No question - she wants him to lose in November so she can run in 2012 but how to accomplish that while pretending to support him is the tricky part

Texasteel
08-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Just stay off the streets, it's going to get ugly.

fansince'76
08-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Just stay off the streets, it's going to get ugly.

I live and work on the southeast side of Denver - I'm not going anywhere near downtown when that circus is here.

revefsreleets
08-15-2008, 08:07 AM
I don't think anything will top the '68 DNC in Chicago, but this could be close...

HometownGal
08-15-2008, 08:13 AM
:tap: What's she done? :hunch: :noidea:

Other than staying with her lying, philandering husband for political reasons and stealing the silverware from the White House when she and Willy Billy moved out - NOTHING.

The DNC will be the biggest comedy blockbuster of the year! I'm sure Bitchary and Obama have both been sharpening those knives. :laughing:

fansince'76
08-15-2008, 08:35 AM
I don't think anything will top the '68 DNC in Chicago, but this could be close...

Oh, we'll have another group of numbnuts here called "Recreate '68" that are going to try and relive those "good ol' days":

Recreate '68 (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/19/dnc-protesters-plan-gather-state-capitol)

Like I said, I'm not going anywhere near downtown when that circus is here.

Dino 6 Rings
08-15-2008, 08:51 AM
If anyone thinks for one second that she doesn't want Obama to lose this year so she can run in 2012 against McCain, then hey, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

She has her eyes set on one thing, and that is the white house. If Obama wins, there is no way she ever sniffs it. He'd be press from 2008-12, then he'd be the incumbent, and an incumbent is never unseated (in the modern era) during the Primaries, which then means she'd have to wait til 2018 to get on the ballot for the Dems. She'd be 71 years old in 2018. No Way.

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2008, 03:17 PM

Close to?:

TV correspondents (Dan Rather and John Chancellor in 1968) getting roughed up (on camera!) by plainclothes cops on the convention floor while the anchorman (Cronkite in '68) then saying (on camera) "I think we have a bunch of thugs (not referring to Anthony Smith:chuckle:) down there";

A nominating speech in which the speaker glares down at the mayor of the host city and says "with (George McGovern) as President we will not have Gestapo tactics in the streets of (Chicago)" and the mayor (Daley in 1968) yells back (on camera) "f**k you!";

Police beating the daylights out of protesters, media, and delegates while releasing tear gas that goes into the hotel room of the nominee; and (last but certainly not least)

The protesters nominating a pig (Pigasus!) for President.

Not likely

For anyone who thinks we live in turbulent times, 2008 is a day at the beach compared to 1968

Those were the days:banging:

Preacher
08-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Close to?:

TV correspondents (Dan Rather and John Chancellor in 1968) getting roughed up (on camera!) by plainclothes cops on the convention floor while the anchorman (Cronkite in '68) then saying (on camera) "I think we have a bunch of thugs (not referring to Anthony Smith:chuckle:) down there";

A nominating speech in which the speaker glares down at the mayor of the host city and says "with (George McGovern) as President we will not have Gestapo tactics in the streets of (Chicago)" and the mayor (Daley in 1968) yells back (on camera) "f**k you!";

Police beating the daylights out of protesters, media, and delegates while releasing tear gas that goes into the hotel room of the nominee; and (last but certainly not least)

The protesters nominating a pig (Pigasus!) for President.

Not likely

For anyone who thinks we live in turbulent times, 2008 is a day at the beach compared to 1968

Those were the days:banging:

At least they didn't string up barbed wire like they did in 1912 for the Republican convention... fearing a rush from the Roosevelt supporters, police strung up barbed wire under the bunting!!

revefsreleets
08-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Dan, you have much more faith in the American people than I do. I think the wild card is how nutty moveon.org is willing to get...and I see there are other fringy leftist groups steeping up to the "crazy plate" to take a swing. It's gonna be interesting, regardless...

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Dan, you have much more faith in the American people than I do. I think the wild card is how nutty moveon.org is willing to get...and I see there are other fringy leftist groups steeping up to the "crazy plate" to take a swing. It's gonna be interesting, regardless...

Oh I think the protesters may seek to get something going, but unlike '68 you do not have: protesters who are opposing a war in which hundreds of GIs were dying every week and the draft might add a protester to that carnage; the cops not giving a rat's ass if they were perceived as not acting with proper restraint; and the left regarding the Dem nominee as little better than Nixon or Wallace (Dump the Hump!) since it was obvious The Revolution (Free Huey!) was coming no matter who was elected.

It may be a nice TV show but IMO nothing major will burn or bleed.

Godfather
08-15-2008, 06:44 PM
They should hose both conventions in New Orleans. NOLA is very good at crowd control (which you've seen if you've ever been to Mardi Gras.)

fansince'76
08-15-2008, 06:51 PM
They should hose both conventions in New Orleans. NOLA is very good at crowd control (which you've seen if you've ever been to Mardi Gras.)

No argument here. Take our convention - PLEASE! :chuckle:

revefsreleets
08-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Oh I think the protesters may seek to get something going, but unlike '68 you do not have: protesters who are opposing a war in which hundreds of GIs were dying every week and the draft might add a protester to that carnage; the cops not giving a rat's ass if they were perceived as not acting with proper restraint; and the left regarding the Dem nominee as little better than Nixon or Wallace (Dump the Hump!) since it was obvious The Revolution (Free Huey!) was coming no matter who was elected.

It may be a nice TV show but IMO nothing major will burn or bleed.

But, some on the far left really WANT Iraq to be Vietnam II, and there are still a lot of burned out hippies who'll come out of the woodwork to try and re-stoke the old fires. Toss in the KKK (anyone think they are just gonna stand idly by?) and the redneck contingency, and we could see some real weirdness of a different kind.