PDA

View Full Version : Mahan vs Hartwig Part II

Stlrs4Life
08-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Here is a pretty good article on the battle between Hartwig and Mahan. According to this article, there is no contest.

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=2567

fansince'76
08-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Based on what I saw between last Friday and tonight, it isn't nearly so clear-cut. Just another blogger blaming the shitty performance of the entire OL last year as a whole on Mahan. Big surprise there. Next.

BlastFurnace
08-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Personally, I think Hartwig is the better fit because I think he is stronger at the point of attack.

What is the best for us in this entire scenerio is that we have quality depth on the line this season. Not sure where we will be next season, but this season, the line looks ok.

The Duke
08-15-2008, 01:00 AM
the game tonight made them look pretty much even. perhaps mahan better imo

the starter should be known before the vikings game

Steelman16
08-15-2008, 02:30 AM
At this point, I wouldn't have any beef if Mahan was named starter. The guy does have a Steelers year under his belt, something Hartwig can't say. That fact alone, IMO, should warrant Mahan the better choice. I'm a huge believer in consistency. So whoever plays the position just needs to be consistent. That's all I ask for. Don't have to be the next Dawson or Webster, just consistent.

Galax Steeler
08-15-2008, 04:38 AM
I wish they would figure out who it is going to be so they can get some playing time the next two preseason games and be ready for the start of the season.

Preacher
08-15-2008, 05:01 AM
I was hoping to see a clear cut difference between the two... sadly, I didn't.

Have fun Tomlin, and know that whatever choice you make... it will be the wrong one.

Welcome to Pittsburgh football.

Scalaid6
08-15-2008, 06:12 AM
If you watch BOTH Jags games last season you will see why they brought in Hartwig. Mahan is just too small. Shroud had his number he was allowing too much pressure up the gut. GUARANTEED Hartwig will be the starter, no way we go into another season with that little guy as our center. No way.

HometownGal
08-15-2008, 07:39 AM
If you watch BOTH Jags games last season you will see why they brought in Hartwig. Mahan is just too small. Shroud had his number he was allowing too much pressure up the gut. GUARANTEED Hartwig will be the starter, no way we go into another season with that little guy as our center. No way.

He's not a "little guy" anymore. The roster sheet we were given at TC shows him at 301 and after seeing him on the field, I can say without a doubt that he beefed up during the offseason. His upper body is a lot bigger than last season.

I'm going to hold you to your guarantee. :chuckle:

Alva Lord
08-15-2008, 08:37 AM
IMO, Hartwig did not out-right win the starting job after last night's performance.

The offensive line, as a collective, were horrible. They couldn't run or pass block well enough to validate their first string status. Chris Kemoeatu surprised me by pulling as well as he did.

Willie Colon still can't handle speed rushers. He was more liability than asset.

Max Starks was a slow footed, bungling buffoon when they drafted him. He's now an expensive, a slow footed, bungling buffoon.

Lord Stiller
08-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Hartwig is now our starter from here on out

He played well but wasn't near perfect and made some mistakes (holding call on 3rd down) but i really like what i saw on a few run plays where he got past the line and sealed off a LB. I really didn't watch Mahan last night and dont care to

Lord Stiller
08-15-2008, 09:12 AM
At this point, I wouldn't have any beef if Mahan was named starter. The guy does have a Steelers year under his belt, something Hartwig can't say. That fact alone, IMO, should warrant Mahan the better choice. I'm a huge believer in consistency. So whoever plays the position just needs to be consistent. That's all I ask for. Don't have to be the next Dawson or Webster, just consistent.

Mahan is consistently bad, does that work for you?

HometownGal
08-15-2008, 09:20 AM

He played well but wasn't near perfect and made some mistakes (holding call on 3rd down) but i really like what i saw on a few run plays where he got past the line and sealed off a LB. I really didn't watch Mahan last night and dont care to

Want to make a friendly wager on that LS? :applaudit:

From what I saw watching the replay of the game this morning, he didn't do anything in that game to nail down the starting C job. In fact, I'd have to say Mahan played better in the first preseason game than Hartwig did last night. I wasn't overly impressed and I'm not trying to be snide here - I'm just calling it as I saw it.

Lord Stiller
08-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Want to make a friendly wager on that LS? :applaudit:

From what I saw watching the replay of the game this morning, he didn't do anything in that game to nail down the starting C job. In fact, I'd have to say Mahan played better in the first preseason game than Hartwig did last night. I wasn't overly impressed and I'm not trying to be snide here - I'm just calling it as I saw it.

Well, the coaches did bench Mahan in favor of Hartwig so that tells me they aren't too pleased with Mahan.

We'll find out soon. Whoever starts the next game will almost certainly be our starter week 1.

My money's on Hartwig :flap:

HometownGal
08-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Well, the coaches did bench Mahan in favor of Hartwig so that tells me they aren't too pleased with Mahan.

We'll find out soon. Whoever starts the next game will almost certainly be our starter week 1.

My money's on Hartwig :flap:

No they didn't. Tomlin said after last week's game that Hartwig was going to get the start this week because Mahan got the start last week. The starting job is still very much open between the two. This competition is going to go down to the wire, imho.

My money is definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, on Mahan. :flap:

Lord Stiller
08-15-2008, 09:51 AM
nevermind, im done talking about Mahan

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-15-2008, 10:04 AM
IMO, Hartwig did not out-right win the starting job after last night's performance.

The offensive line, as a collective, were horrible. They couldn't run or pass block well enough to validate their first string status. Chris Kemoeatu surprised me by pulling as well as he did.

Willie Colon still can't handle speed rushers. He was more liability than asset.

Max Starks was a slow footed, bungling buffoon when they drafted him. He's now an expensive, a slow footed, bungling buffoon.

Pretty much what I was thinking. I only watched the first half on the PVR, but here's what I saw.

Colon- got that holding call because he took one short kick slide and the DE got around him. He needs to double kick big to handle the speed rush.

Starks- on the fumble in the 2nd qtr got beat to the outside, then overran to makeup and the 2nd string DE beat him for the sack/fumble.....buffoon is accurate.

Kemo-powerful blocking straight line, pass pro was good, but looked out of place on the screen pass, waddling downfield and hitting nobody.

Hartwig, couldnt see that hold, he was in the pile, good pass protection(got good views on the Ben-Santo TD and pass before that), got too forward a couple times and off balance where the defender tossed him. Had a couple nice pulls and got to 2nd level for cutoff blocks well

Mahan, pretty solid, didnt see him get beat, stalemated his guy in pass protection and didnt see a lot of chances for him to get blocking downfield. Like I said, only saw 1st half and the starters got 3 offensive series.

Smith looked solid, but had a couple hickups, Simmons looked steady. I gotta get to the 2nd half of the game, but again Mahan looked solid and had no glaring mistakes. To me Hartwig just seems more athletic, bigger and more mobile.

One play the DT was in his gap, so Hartwig goes low and cuts off his pursuit.....the DT circles around hartwig and is close to the RB, but Hartwig has also circled around and cuts off the DT from making the play in the backfield.....I love that kind of hussle.

The Duke
08-15-2008, 12:49 PM

decision on center battle should come before next saturday. let's see who it is

I like mahan, and have no problem with hartwig, just want the best player in there

Kemo-powerful blocking straight line, pass pro was good, but looked out of place on the screen pass, waddling downfield and hitting nobody.

kemo really impressed me. when the line was getting pushed back he seemed like the only one who didn't. the man's strong

yes, he has his mental mistakes, but when he progresses he's going to be amazing

Steely McSmash
08-15-2008, 01:50 PM
you need to consider as well that Mahan had more 1st string practice than Hartwig prior to his game. Not apples to apples exactly.

Lord Stiller
08-15-2008, 02:01 PM
you need to consider as well that Mahan had more 1st string practice than Hartwig prior to his game. Not apples to apples exactly.

Also take into consideration that the DT's Hartwig faced last night are much better than the guys Mahan faced vs Philly

OneForTheToe
08-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Reading some of these responces it is almost like some here are forgetting these are both Steelers' players. My biggest hope is the they make a decision either way this week and stick with it for the rest of training camp. Whomever wins need to get the reps with the first team for the rest of the pre-season.

I still happen to think that the loser of this battle could be let go. I mean if the Steelers are intent on keeping Stapleton how many C/G guys do we need? It seemed last year they were comfortable with Stapleton as the back-up.

Hapa
08-15-2008, 02:13 PM
I think Hartwig individually is better, but Mahan makes the whole line better because he knows the guy's tendencies better

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Also take into consideration that the DT's Hartwig faced last night are much better than the guys Mahan faced vs Philly

Not so true. Broderick Bunkley is an atheltic freak....really strong and mahah had his hands full with him, but stalemated him in the Philly game.

Hartwig looks slightly better of the 2, but as Hapa said...he doesnt know the other guys on the line as well.

One pass play, he was helping with the DT over Kemo and the other DT slid inside of Simmons. He was late looking over and I'm not saying that Mahan might not have done the same, but a familiarity with the guys on either side of you helps. Turned out to be a completion anyways.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Sean Mahan is fine as a spot starter....I think he is a guy that come in and start for a few weeks if somebody is injured...I just don't think he is a 16 game starter....Just an opinion....

To blame him for the entire mess of the OL is wrong...The whole OL stunk last year....Nobody played well on the OL last year.....even Faneca......

As for Hartwig....I still think he deserves more time before declaring him worse or better then Mahan....One game doesn't give me enough time to think he is worse or better....

The Steelers need to draft a center.....I don't think either Mahan or Hartwig are the long term answer.....I think this should be a solid center class in 2009.....

Preacher
08-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Sean Mahan is fine as a spot starter....I think he is a guy that come in and start for a few weeks if somebody is injured...I just don't think he is a 16 game starter....Just an opinion....

To blame him for the entire mess of the OL is wrong...The whole OL stunk last year....Nobody played well on the OL last year.....even Faneca......

As for Hartwig....I still think he deserves more time before declaring him worse or better then Mahan....One game doesn't give me enough time to think he is worse or better....

The Steelers need to draft a center.....I don't think either Mahan or Hartwig are the long term answer.....I think this should be a solid center class in 2009.....

If he has the weight loss problems this year he had last year, then I will completely agree with you that he physically just cannot handle the starting job for the season. That makes him a VERY good second string... and with the importance of the line, I'll take a second string Mahan.

lilyoder6
08-15-2008, 04:33 PM
maybe there will be a dark horse and suprise evryone and start for the steelers

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Will be interesting to see who is the starter for the Vikings game......but my guess is Hartwig.

After finally getting to watch the 2nd half of the game I recorded, Mahan looked more like the guy that got pushed around last year. When he stops the defender and gets his feet moving, he can move guys, but 3 glaring plays......he got pushed backwards.

1. Approx 3 min. left in the 2nd qtr, Leftwich throws a quick hitch to Washinton in the right flat and McCargo pushes Mahan into the backfield, almost knocking him into Leftwich.

2. approx 5 min left in the 3rd quarter, handoff right to Mendenhall and again Mahan is driven back by the backup DT into the backfield.

3. approx 30 seconds left in the 3rd quarter, handoff right to Russell and again Mahan is on skates going backwards.

There was also a play where he attempted to cut block the DT in the gap and he basically missed, the DT was able to get playside and Mahan got squashed under the backside pile.

Hartwig didnt dominate, but I'd be surprised if Mahan gets the start vs. the Vikings.

Preacher
08-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Will be interesting to see who is the starter for the Vikings game......but my guess is Hartwig.

After finally getting to watch the 2nd half of the game I recorded, Mahan looked more like the guy that got pushed around last year. When he stops the defender and gets his feet moving, he can move guys, but 3 glaring plays......he got pushed backwards.

1. Approx 3 min. left in the 2nd qtr, Leftwich throws a quick hitch to Washinton in the right flat and McCargo pushes Mahan into the backfield, almost knocking him into Leftwich.

2. approx 5 min left in the 3rd quarter, handoff right to Mendenhall and again Mahan is driven back by the backup DT into the backfield.

3. approx 30 seconds left in the 3rd quarter, handoff right to Russell and again Mahan is on skates going backwards.

There was also a play where he attempted to cut block the DT in the gap and he basically missed, the DT was able to get playside and Mahan got squashed under the backside pile.

Hartwig didnt dominate, but I'd be surprised if Mahan gets the start vs. the Vikings.

I have to be honest, I didn't watch the rest of the game focusing on the Center (it was too late).

If that is true... then Hartwig will probably start. I do want to see a center be named, and the cohesion start.

Glace
08-16-2008, 08:01 AM
After what I saw, Hartwig is still going to take some work, but Mahan was blown out of his shoes a few times.

Hypothetically, Mahan could have the skills and experience to be the best center in the league, but if he can't match up physically, he's useless.

Lets put big Casey Hampton at Center!!! lol
I wasn't at all impressed with his performance at nose-tackle thursday night. Especially being completely exhausted at 2 minutes into the 2nd quarter. No defensive lineman in the league is going to push Hampton into the backfield!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 10:34 AM
I have to be honest, I didn't watch the rest of the game focusing on the Center (it was too late).

If that is true... then Hartwig will probably start. I do want to see a center be named, and the cohesion start.

Yeah, I have it recorded on the PVR and the 15sec reverse jump is a great feature for watching the same play over to check positional matchups.

I covered off a few linemen and Kemo is who I thought he was...big, powerful, explosive, quick...but not fast. Stapleton is pretty good and probably a shade behind Mahan as a C.

Starks looks like the heavy footed guy he is and should be getting $1.9mil this season instead of $6.9mil.

Smith is back and faced a good speed rusher in this game. Colon still active and when he gets beat, he works his butt off to get to the blocker, not give him the matador wave like Starks. Colon needs more technique work.

Parquet is actually rather decent and is a better OT than Hills at this point, but Hills is way more of a natural athlete and has a good upside. Hills could actually play RT next season IMO.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Hypothetically, Mahan could have the skills and experience to be the best center in the league, but if he can't match up physically, he's useless.

That's a big hypothetical!!! Mahan hasnt proven to have the best C skills in his past 5 seasons in the NFL. Hartwig actually looks more comfortable and natural as a C to me.

I still think at the end of the year Smith and Starks will both leave and all that cap space will be around for a LT and or DE, so we can focus on a C early in the draft.

MasterOfPuppets
08-16-2008, 10:15 PM
bottom line .......mahan and hartwig both suck, notice how thier former teams didn't put up much of a fight to keep em?neither should be starters in the nfl. the dilema isn't finding the better of the 2, but which one sucks less.
here's to hoping for alex mack to fall to us in 09 !!! :tt03:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-17-2008, 10:51 AM
here's to hoping for alex mack to fall to us in 09 !!! :tt03:

I saw some projections and they have Mack as something like the 40th best player in the draft. I think it will be like Mangold where somebody takes him late in the 1st or early 2nd. We will need to either trade up or hope for Luigs from Arkansas.

Preacher
08-17-2008, 11:21 AM
I saw some projections and they have Mack as something like the 40th best player in the draft. I think it will be like Mangold where somebody takes him late in the 1st or early 2nd. We will need to either trade up or hope for Luigs from Arkansas.

What are you talking about?

We can take him with our natural first round pick at 32. That isn't a reach now is it?

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-17-2008, 11:54 AM
What are you talking about?

We can take him with our natural first round pick at 32. That isn't a reach now is it?

Problem is we might have bigger holes.....maybe we should look at D-line depth first with the best subs being Kirschke or Hoke.

Maybe we should draft an OT, since Smith, Starks will probably be gone.

Maybe we should spend that 1st rounder on a CB since Townsend is getting older and McFadden might leave via free agency.

Strange how a lot of us thought the top priorities in the offseason were D-Line, O-Line and secondary....but none were addressed. I guess that is why we are just fans and not in the front office. :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
08-17-2008, 03:35 PM
I saw some projections and they have Mack as something like the 40th best player in the draft. I think it will be like Mangold where somebody takes him late in the 1st or early 2nd. We will need to either trade up or hope for Luigs from Arkansas.well, we all know how those projections translate to draft day........they don't. mack has a whole season to show he's either the best center prospect in this up and coming draft, or the best center prospect in a decade.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-17-2008, 08:02 PM
well, we all know how those projections translate to draft day........they don't. mack has a whole season to show he's either the best center prospect in this up and coming draft, or the best center prospect in a decade.

True....most of those projections had Limas Sweed as the first WR off the board at this point.

I would love to get Mack, but I think they might just think that Hartings, Mahan or Stapleton are ......adequate and either look for a DE, CB or LT early.

My hoping would be draft Mack if he is there, look for a DE in round 2 and use the nearly $13 million of cap space from departing Max Starks to 1. Sign a FA to play LT, 2. Do contracts for both Kemo and Colon.

43Hitman
08-17-2008, 08:06 PM
True....most of those projections had Limas Sweed as the first WR off the board at this point.

I would love to get Mack, but I think they might just think that Hartings, Mahan or Stapleton are ......adequate and either look for a DE, CB or LT early.

My hoping would be draft Mack if he is there, look for a DE in round 2 and use the nearly $13 million of cap space from departing Max Starks to 1. Sign a FA to play LT, 2. Do contracts for both Kemo and Colon.

I think you mean Hartwig. I agree though that Starks is seeing his last season in the Black & Gold. I hope we can get some lineman on both sides of the ball in next years draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-17-2008, 08:18 PM
I think you mean Hartwig. I agree though that Starks is seeing his last season in the Black & Gold. I hope we can get some lineman on both sides of the ball in next years draft.

My bad. I was hoping we could get some linemen on both sides of the ball in THIS years draft. But, look at it this way.

If we didnt tag Starks, we could have gone after a free agent DE. Justin Smith and his new contract in SF only counts $3.083 against the cap. They could have let Starks walk, get a compensitory pick next season for him and signed Justin Smith and Shane Olivea with $$ left over.

Imagine an O line of Smith, Kemo, Hartwig(or Simmons), Simmons(or Colon) and Olivea.....probably better than the gong show we have in camp right now.

Then defensively a D line corps of Aaron Smith, Justin Smith, Snack and Keisel with Hoke and Kirschke.

The Max Starks transition tag hurt this team!!

MasterOfPuppets
08-17-2008, 08:31 PM
EL Gonzo, are you second guessing the F.O ??? you do know they don't make mistakes ??? right ??? questioning thier decisions is seen as blasphemy by some......i meen after all, they make a living making these decisions, so who are we to question them.....:wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-17-2008, 09:23 PM
EL Gonzo, are you second guessing the F.O ??? you do know they don't make mistakes ??? right ??? questioning thier decisions is seen as blasphemy by some......i meen after all, they make a living making these decisions, so who are we to question them.....:wink02:

I know....in medevil times they would brand me with an A for "Armchair GM", tie me to a goalpost in the town square and pelt me to death with empty bottles of Rolling Rock. Thank God (The Chief) we live in a more civilized society now. :coffee:

43Hitman
08-17-2008, 09:26 PM
My bad. I was hoping we could get some linemen on both sides of the ball in THIS years draft. But, look at it this way.

If we didnt tag Starks, we could have gone after a free agent DE. Justin Smith and his new contract in SF only counts $3.083 against the cap. They could have let Starks walk, get a compensitory pick next season for him and signed Justin Smith and Shane Olivea with $$ left over.

Imagine an O line of Smith, Kemo, Hartwig(or Simmons), Simmons(or Colon) and Olivea.....probably better than the gong show we have in camp right now.

Then defensively a D line corps of Aaron Smith, Justin Smith, Snack and Keisel with Hoke and Kirschke.

The Max Starks transition tag hurt this team!!

Makes me sick to my stomach the way they handled Starks' situation. Maybe the front office has been distracted by the sale of the team.

But you know what they say, hindsight is 20/20.

HometownGal
08-17-2008, 09:41 PM

Well geez, MOP - get that resume in to the Steelers FO. They've been waiting for someone with your expertise and I'm sure they'll create a spot just for you. You're the missing link the Steelers FO has been searching for!!!! Who'da thunk it? :wink02::chuckle:

BlastFurnace
08-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Makes me sick to my stomach the way they handled Starks' situation. Maybe the front office has been distracted by the sale of the team.

But you know what they say, hindsight is 20/20.

I really think they gambled and were thinking Max would get an offer from another team that they would either match the offer or let him go. The gamble didn't payoff,but in the end, they realized with Max that they have a quality LT and RT who will be on the books for 1 year and then they can let him walk.

Also, they needed to keep Max in case Smith's back doesn't hold up. It wasn't like they could go into the year with only Essex as the backup at the swing Tackle position.

Another thought is...what if one of the Guards gets hurt. The option they have is to move Colon inside and stick Max at RT, which isn't a bad option.

The Steelers may have gambled and lost with the decision to put that kind of price tag on Max, but they didn't compound the mistake by letting him go and leaving the team with no depth at a very key position.

43Hitman
08-17-2008, 10:12 PM
I really think they gambled and were thinking Max would get an offer from another team that they would either match the offer or let him go. The gamble didn't payoff,but in the end, they realized with Max that they have a quality LT and RT who will be on the books for 1 year and then they can let him walk.

Also, they needed to keep Max in case Smith's back doesn't hold up. It wasn't like they could go into the year with only Essex as the backup at the swing Tackle position.

Another thought is...what if one of the Guards gets hurt. The option they have is to move Colon inside and stick Max at RT, which isn't a bad option.

The Steelers may have gambled and lost with the decision to put that kind of price tag on Max, but they didn't compound the mistake by letting him go and leaving the team with no depth at a very key position.

Good points. 6 million dollar insurance policy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2008, 01:25 AM

When they tagged Starks, nobody was gonna sign him and give up the compensation for him, so effectively they closed the market to him. I thought they would pull the offer once things looked better for Smith, but they didnt.

Face it. They panicked because the prospect of not having Smith or Starks with no young linemen in place was frighening.....but that is basically what is going to happen in 09 unless one of them gets extended in the next couple weeks.

Ike Taylor had to restructure his deal to creat cap space for some rookie signings. If they let backup RT Max Starks walk, they would have $6.9 million in spare cap space and probably a 3rd round pick next season. Its what I was hoping would be done.....but then again I am not a NFL GM. Just some uneducated Steeler Fan (OK, I have a degree in Sports Admin, but sell stuff because the $$ is better)

revefsreleets
08-18-2008, 06:13 PM
It's just become a broken record. How many posts can one person make that say the same thing?

"We should have drafted OL and DL in the early rounds of the draft".

Over and over and over and over and over and over...

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
It's just become a broken record. How many posts can one person make that say the same thing?

"We should have drafted OL and DL in the early rounds of the draft".

Over and over and over and over and over and over...

About as many posts as you can, to say we should blindly accept what the front office does is the gospel.....which appears to be over 4000.

Strongsville?? ........is that like Jonestown?? Better not drink the Kool-aid:coffee:

revefsreleets
08-18-2008, 09:40 PM
About as many posts as you can, to say we should blindly accept what the front office does is the gospel.....which appears to be over 4000.

Strongsville?? ........is that like Jonestown?? Better not drink the Kool-aid:coffee:

A bit myopic? Read much outside this particular section of the board?

You are a one-trick pony, and what happens when you are wrong? What next?

That's the problem with making pronouncements instead of just sticking to comments and observations. But, hey, whatever...I'm sure the FO stands to learn an awful lot from you, and I'm sure they are reading and hanging on your every word.:uhh:

fansince'76
08-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Please cool it, folks. Thanks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2008, 10:20 PM
A bit myopic? Read much outside this particular section of the board?

You are a one-trick pony, and what happens when you are wrong? What next?

That's the problem with making pronouncements instead of just sticking to comments and observations. But, hey, whatever...I'm sure the FO stands to learn an awful lot from you, and I'm sure they are reading and hanging on your every word.:uhh:

I wouldnt say myopic, I just like to talk football here. If I want to talk about tailgating, politics or neurosurgery then I would most likely frequent a board that focused on those things.....not the "Locker Room" section of a Steelers board.

I have been wrong before and come clean several times about thinking Steven Jackson was overrated, Larry Johnson would not be a good NFL back, Troy Edwards was a reach...oops. I make statements of my opinion based upon experience and observations.

I dont try and make assumptions and accusations to or about anybody. I dont think the Steelers FO hangs on my every word, but I do know what the inside of an NFL front office does look like and I do know that a former Steelers Special Teams coach did read a book on Sport Psychology that I suggested to him when Kris Brown had a knack of pushing everything to the right back in the 90's. I even know the Director of Marketing for the Chargers as I had a need to get some advise back when he was in league marketing with the NBA.

I'm just enjoying talking with fellow Steeler fans as I have been a fan for 30 years. We share our joys of victory, lament in losses and wonder what could have been on the years we dont win the Super Bowl.

Frankly, I think you should try to enjoy this board a bit more instead of looking for a reason to take a verbal run at me.....but whatever turns you on. I'm a grown man and can take whatever you have.

later,

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Please cool it, folks. Thanks.

Its all cool 76. Thanks for the forum.....I'll try not to disrespect it by making it a bitch session.

revefsreleets
08-19-2008, 09:33 AM
I dont try and make assumptions and accusations to or about anybody. I dont think the Steelers FO hangs on my every word, but I do know what the inside of an NFL front office does look like and I do know that a former Steelers Special Teams coach did read a book on Sport Psychology that I suggested to him when Kris Brown had a knack of pushing everything to the right back in the 90's. I even know the Director of Marketing for the Chargers as I had a need to get some advise back when he was in league marketing with the NBA.

Frankly, I think you should try to enjoy this board a bit more instead of looking for a reason to take a verbal run at me.....but whatever turns you on. I'm a grown man and can take whatever you have.

later,
Well, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night AND I saved a ton of money by switching to Geico.

I enjoy this board plenty, and only spend about .0005% of my time "making a run at you". You are pretty much the standard bearer for questioning every little move the FO makes, and I contend they have a pretty good idea of exactly what they are doing. I'm particularly disturbed by all the broad sweeping generalizations being made about this team before they've taken a single regular season snap.

Lord Stiller
08-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Steelers | Hartwig getting another shot at starting center
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 02:15:13 -0700

John Harris, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports Pittsburgh Steelers C Justin Hartwig will start at center in the team's next preseason game.

Hartwig starting again. Mahan still sucks

DACEB
08-20-2008, 09:17 AM
The game against the Vikings should be a great test for the O-line, as they have great (big) run stoppers up front.

It would be nice to see both Hartwig and Mahan get a shot against the Williams' duo at DT. That, IMO, would be a proper gauge. It might be possible considering the starters should play well into the 2nd quarter.

Lord Stiller
08-20-2008, 09:22 AM
It would be nice to see both Hartwig and Mahan get a shot against the Williams' duo at DT. That, IMO, would be a proper gauge.

I'd rather have Hartwig play. Playing Mahan could get Ben killed

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Steelers | Hartwig getting another shot at starting center
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 02:15:13 -0700

John Harris, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports Pittsburgh Steelers C Justin Hartwig will start at center in the team's next preseason game.

Looks like Hartwig has the inside track on the job. I think he is the best option we have at C right now.

HometownGal
08-20-2008, 12:48 PM
It would be nice to see both Hartwig and Mahan get a shot against the Williams' duo at DT. That, IMO, would be a proper gauge. It might be possible considering the starters should play well into the 2nd quarter.

I think we will see both Mahan and Hartwig against the Vikes even though Hartwig gets the nod for the start. I don't think that necessarily means Hartwig has the upper hand just yet. Zierlein and Tomlin just want to see more of what he can do since Mahan is the incumbent. I hope Hartwig plays better than he did on Friday against the Bills.

Whether Mahan or Hartwig wins the starting job, doesn't matter to me as long as he gets the job done. :thumbsup:

rbryan
08-20-2008, 12:59 PM
My gut tells me that neither one are the long term answer at center. But I think we have to give Hartwig a little more time before we make that decision. From what I saw against the Bills, you could flip a coin right now.

Lord Stiller
08-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I think we will see both Mahan and Hartwig against the Vikes even though Hartwig gets the nod for the start.

Wait, you mean we will see backup players in a preseason game???? thanks for the heads up:wink02: Mahan will play when Leftwich and all the other backups come in

I don't think that necessarily means Hartwig has the upper hand just yet.

yeak ok. :toofunny: Ummm, the coaching staff starts who they think will be the starters. This precisely means Hartwig has the inside track for the job. Come on, use common sense

HometownGal
08-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Wait, you mean we will see backup players in a preseason game???? thanks for the heads up:wink02: Mahan will play when Leftwich and all the other backups come in

yeak ok. :toofunny: Ummm, the coaching staff starts who they think will be the starters. This precisely means Hartwig has the inside track for the job. Come on, use common sense

Me thinks you had better knock it the hell off with your mockery and condescending attitude there pal. My opinions are just as valid as yours as this point with regard to the ongoing Mahan/Hartwig saga. I've said repeatedly that whoever wins the job (and it is very clear to me and anyone with a fraction of a brain cell that the job doesn't belong to either of them just yet) I will support. Unlike you, I don't make it my life's work to scapegoat players.

P.S. You may want to think of doing something about that angry disposition of yours, LS. There is medication for it. Just trying to help. :wink02:

I think this topic has long worn out its welcome. Thread closed.