PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dixon looks good so far!

FantasyBetsZone
08-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Did u see that 47 yards touchdown run?!?!?! Looks like hes back to old Dennis Dixon when he was shining at Oregon.. I really hope he is the 2nd string qb!

BlastFurnace
08-14-2008, 11:56 PM
He played well tonight. Lost a touchdown at the end by a drop as well. Won't ever be a starter for us, but might bring some draft picks for us down the road.

NV STEELERS 723
08-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Don't want a starting QB to run a 47 yrd TD... we have people to do that...RB,WR's,TE'S....Vick is playing WR in prison last I heard.

stlrtruck
08-15-2008, 01:06 AM
He played well tonight. Lost a touchdown at the end by a drop as well.

Yeah, the defender didn't knock the ball out, the guy tried to double clutch it and it fell out of his hands.

I'm impressed with Dixon. He seems to have caught on pretty quick. I could see him being used as a decoy in some trick plays this year. He's got good speed, good arm, and it looks like some smarts too.

Steelman16
08-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Don't want a starting QB to run a 47 yrd TD... we have people to do that...RB,WR's,TE'S....Vick is playing WR in prison last I heard.

Haveta agree here. I don't mind quarterbacks who have the option to run, but if that's their only way to survive, then they'd better go work on their reads, routes and dropbacks before they're starting for my team.

That said, I like Dixon so far. Not sold, just like what he's learning and how he's learning. He has time to become a good QB, and I think he'll do it, though we probably won't reap the benifiets.

BettisFan
08-15-2008, 01:43 AM
Hes part of a new generation he should be 2nd string hes great that run and with the blocks wow it was phenominal

The Duke
08-15-2008, 01:48 AM
I don't like running qbs(young, vick....) but dixon's run was a great play , seemed like a designed play, and it was on 4th and 1, the coaches obviously put the game in his hand there, and he made a great play off it

still....he should be the #3 qb. #2 is either leftwich or batch, but dixon shouldn't be the main backup at least until 09. he still seems a little nervous out there, and if ben goes down dixon won't have much success.

moedap
08-15-2008, 03:12 AM
The difference between Dixon and Vick and/or Young is that Dixon can throw. He is the next Randall Cunningham. Dixons only question mark was his knee. IMHO. If 2nd string is determined by performance he has the edge over BL. I hope Dixon gets some looks with the 2nd unit next game.

Galax Steeler
08-15-2008, 04:41 AM
I thought he looked pretty good also as moedap said maybe he will get to play with the second stringers some so we can really see what he has.

Scalaid6
08-15-2008, 05:57 AM
Dont like running Qbs?? Whats the matter with you guys?? That is a defensive coordinators NIGHTMARE. Tarkenton,Staubach, Young, Vick, Elway, Romo EVEN BEN! That kills a D. You guys didnt like that game last season vs the Browns (I think) where Ben took off and had like a 30 yard Td? If there is nothing there, TAKE OFF. Nothing wrong with that, its smart.
Now on the game. SLOPPY! What the heck is Coach Tomlin and the other coaches doing in practice? Holding in crucial situations (Hartwig,Colon). MANY Dropped passes (Limas (2), Reid, #87-coulda won the game). Special teams not having enough men on the field, 12 men in the huddle, TD on special teams (AGAIN). I'm glad its pre-season. Ben threw ANOTHER PICK UNDER DURRESS (way ta make a play once you throw the pick Ben; just stand there why dont cha). Ben and any Qb is fine with time (and they should be they are pros) but the test of a great Qb is what he does under durress (Remember these words; dont worry I'll make sure you do). Not impressed with Mendenhall, he is big but runs soft like S. Alexander (at this point) he needs to lower his pads and explode into tacklers.
Leftwich looked ok to only be in camp since Sunday. Dixon made quick reads, had good blitz recognition and released the ball quick when blitzed only to have Limas drop the pass (little behind him). Last week he looked greener than a pool table but this week he looked pretty good (shoulda seen that blitz comin right in his face but he didnt and got sacked;gotta avoid that tackler and make a play)

Defense: Looked TERRIBLE for the second week in a row! Phily had their way with us as did the Bills. When will Lebeau implement some man coverage? We have too many holes in our zone D, our dbs DONT break on the ball to make plays, they just stand there and watch the wr catch it and then dont punish them once they catch it. I counted many missed tackles (Ike,foote,Bmac,Clark; there were many more). Keisel is the only lineman that rushes the passer and puts his hands up to knock down balls. Harrisson looked good (sole standout). Can we finally cut Tyrone? SUX. I know you dont want to tip your hand in pre season but we better learn to stop somebody and get pressure on the qb cause if we dont we are going to be in trouble. We dont have the kind of dbs that can make plays back there (excluding Troy)
I think Tomlin did a horrible job of getting the guys ready to play, we got outhit, the only two hitters I see is Harrison and Timmons (hes gotta start). The guys were confused, unorganized and we must do better if we are to compete with the elite. I think the O-line looked good (kemo is a stud; watch him play in and play out, his hand play is great). I think Hartwig did a good job (despite the crucial holding call). The line really got after the Bills. Hartwig moved Stroud around and thats what Mahan couldnt do last season. Ben had some GREAT throws. Particularly when he was going to his left and threw a 25 yard corner route to Hines (excellent throw;that throw there cant be made by Peyton/Brady they dont have his arm). Ben still showed good command of the offense and made smart plays. On the play he threw the pick I think he shoulda ran it but he came back on the next possession and hit holmes with a beautiful TD pass (vs Bills 2nd team D but still a quality pass). The next drive Ben got in trouble and instead of forcing it he threw the ball away, would like to see more of that in the future.

~The only way that you get there is a string of nails- Mike Tomlin

SteelCurtain
08-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Dont like running Qbs?? Whats the matter with you guys?? That is a defensive coordinators NIGHTMARE. Tarkenton,Staubach, Young, Vick, Elway, Romo EVEN BEN! That kills a D. You guys didnt like that game last season vs the Browns (I think) where Ben took off and had like a 30 yard Td? If there is nothing there, TAKE OFF. Nothing wrong with that, its smart.
Now on the game. SLOPPY! What the heck is Coach Tomlin and the other coaches doing in practice? Holding in crucial situations (Hartwig,Colon). MANY Dropped passes (Limas (2), Reid, #87-coulda won the game). Special teams not having enough men on the field, 12 men in the huddle, TD on special teams (AGAIN). I'm glad its pre-season. Ben threw ANOTHER PICK UNDER DURRESS (way ta make a play once you throw the pick Ben; just stand there why dont cha). Ben and any Qb is fine with time (and they should be they are pros) but the test of a great Qb is what he does under durress (Remember these words; dont worry I'll make sure you do). Not impressed with Mendenhall, he is big but runs soft like S. Alexander (at this point) he needs to lower his pads and explode into tacklers.
Leftwich looked ok to only be in camp since Sunday. Dixon made quick reads, had good blitz recognition and released the ball quick when blitzed only to have Limas drop the pass (little behind him). Last week he looked greener than a pool table but this week he looked pretty good (shoulda seen that blitz comin right in his face but he didnt and got sacked;gotta avoid that tackler and make a play)

Defense: Looked TERRIBLE for the second week in a row! Phily had their way with us as did the Bills. When will Lebeau implement some man coverage? We have too many holes in our zone D, our dbs DONT break on the ball to make plays, they just stand there and watch the wr catch it and then dont punish them once they catch it. I counted many missed tackles (Ike,foote,Bmac,Clark; there were many more). Keisel is the only lineman that rushes the passer and puts his hands up to knock down balls. Harrisson looked good (sole standout). Can we finally cut Tyrone? SUX. I know you dont want to tip your hand in pre season but we better learn to stop somebody and get pressure on the qb cause if we dont we are going to be in trouble. We dont have the kind of dbs that can make plays back there (excluding Troy)
I think Tomlin did a horrible job of getting the guys ready to play, we got outhit, the only two hitters I see is Harrison and Timmons (hes gotta start). The guys were confused, unorganized and we must do better if we are to compete with the elite. I think the O-line looked good (kemo is a stud; watch him play in and play out, his hand play is great). I think Hartwig did a good job (despite the crucial holding call). The line really got after the Bills. Hartwig moved Stroud around and thats what Mahan couldnt do last season. Ben had some GREAT throws. Particularly when he was going to his left and threw a 25 yard corner route to Hines (excellent throw;that throw there cant be made by Peyton/Brady they dont have his arm). Ben still showed good command of the offense and made smart plays. On the play he threw the pick I think he shoulda ran it but he came back on the next possession and hit holmes with a beautiful TD pass (vs Bills 2nd team D but still a quality pass). The next drive Ben got in trouble and instead of forcing it he threw the ball away, would like to see more of that in the future.

~The only way that you get there is a string of nails- Mike Tomlin

I feel that is a very good assessment of what I saw last night as well, although the holding call on Hartiwig was petty....I don't think that should've been called. I agree Timmons should start and Harrison was definitely the highlight of the night. He's looking like a beast.

GBMelBlount
08-15-2008, 07:42 AM
I don't like running qbs(young, vick....) but dixon's run was a great play , seemed like a designed play, and it was on 4th and 1, the coaches obviously put the game in his hand there, and he made a great play off it

Nothing wrong with a good QB who can scramble (or run). There is nothing in the first two games that indicates to me that he is going to rely on his running skills to define him as a QB in the NFL. I think he has potential, but again, it is way to early to pass judgement on this guy imo. Give him a chance.

redst3
08-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Nice run by Dixon against other third teamers. Much better showing than the first game for sure. he got two good blocks and he used them well.

Alva Lord
08-15-2008, 08:52 AM
I was far more impressed with rookie, Dennis Dixon than I was with former first round pick, Leftwich. I expected Dixon to struggle being a rookie, yet he acquitted himself pretty well. On the other hand, Leftwich, the experienced vet looked very rusty. It's nice that he's got a cannon for an arm, but it would be nice if got his throws in the vicinity of his receivers. His throws were all over the place. He also reminded us that no matter how much weight he lost he's still a sloth. He made me miss Charlie all the more.

elit3nemesis
08-15-2008, 10:30 AM
I say put Dixon in front of Leftwich on the roster.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Nice run by Dixon against other third teamers. Much better showing than the first game for sure. he got two good blocks and he used them well.

What are you doing trying to keep things in perspective?? :banging:

He got a crushing block from soon to be all pro Dezmond Sherrod and has been anointed the next Randall Cunningham!! Maybe even Vince Young!!

Seriously, I havent seen the 2nd half yet, only the hilight of the run. Good to hear he is throwing the ball well and almost had a TD pass. Cant wait to watch the 2nd half later.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-15-2008, 11:25 AM

:thmbdown:

NO. We don't want a QB to run a 47 yard TD. We want a QB to get trashed behind the line of scrimmage.

What might be PAINFUL for the average Big Ten fan is that THAT butt whooping Dixon put on the Wolverines was no fluke.

I'm watching the tape for the second game and he still doesn't look like he's a rookie. Since the Vegas housing market and the Steelers offensive line have far too much in common - unlimited vacancies - Dixon is exactly what factors best if Ben goes down.

What? Blue haired Byron was done in Jacksonville. Del Rio is no idiot. To call this cat Slash II is homogeneous and flat out wrong IMHO.

Dixon is RADIOACTIVE. And talking about the Wolverines the blood meal running through Timmons is getting exciting.

fansince'76
08-15-2008, 11:30 AM
I will admit my initial impression of Dixon (that of a Kordell Stewart clone) was dead wrong. I think he's going to be a good player for us. :thumbsup:

Scalaid6
08-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Kordell??? PLEASE DONT MENTION THAT BUM! I'm still mad at Cowher for leaving him in to long! Yeah, guys saying "I dont want a running Qb" lol I can just hear them screaming as Dixon ran down the sideline saying "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? FALL DOWN!! YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO RUN! LET MENDENHALL DO THAT! WHAT ARE YOU DOING IDIOT!" LOL

19ward86
08-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Dont even say that running is Dixon's only way to survive, spare me. That was a dumb comment.

The Duke
08-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Nothing wrong with a good QB who can scramble (or run). There is nothing in the first two games that indicates to me that he is going to rely on his running skills to define him as a QB in the NFL. I think he has potential, but again, it is way to early to pass judgement on this guy imo. Give him a chance.

I think I should rephrase my post.

yes, running first QBs I don't like, like vick and young, but dixon isn't that. his 47 yard run last night was an amazing play where the game was put in his hands by the coaches, 4th and 1, and he succeeded. I loved that about him. plus he was very accurate on his passses and a victim of several drops

I've been behind dixon since day 1, and I love the pick even more now

Only thing is I think he shouldn't be QB #2 this year. he's a rookie and he's still learning, and it's not like he is big ben as a rookie, that happens rarely.

next year though I'm excited to see him be ben's main backup, after batch leaves, retires....

PalmerSteel
08-15-2008, 12:37 PM
just think, if dixon wouldnt have gotten hurt he would of been drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. anyone that throws 20td's and only 4 int's in a sesaon in division 1 college ball, knows how to throw the ball. looks are decieving. this kid has a strong arm to go along with that speed!

BurghZ0n3
08-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Kordell??? PLEASE DONT MENTION THAT BUM!

Yeah, I've already made Kordell's jersey as my car floor mat years back...Maddox was even better. Dixon should be the 2nd string QB now....:tt:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 01:05 AM
Considering he is a rookie coming from a spread offense, he is progressing well. Still not the most accurate, but should be the #3 this year and hopefully the #2 next season.

Maybe after BSP, Tee Martin, etc. we finally found a gem in the 5th.