PDA

View Full Version : Teen injured drinking liquid nitrogen

TheWarDen86
08-15-2008, 12:26 PM
PRINCETON A gifted 15-year-old student from India had to be rushed to the hospital after drinking liquid nitrogen during a science class at Princeton University.

The class was part of a program run by the Connecticut-based Summer Institute for the Gifted. It isn't affiliated with the university.

The students were performing a popular experiment in which liquid nitrogen is used to make ice cream.

Nitrogen liquefies at negative 328 degrees Fahrenheit cold enough to cause burns.

The Summer Institute says the boy was in critical condition and has been upgraded to stable.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../NEWS/80815021

BTW - I am NJarhead in the comments section.

Godfather
08-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Darwin Award candidate.

fansince'76
08-15-2008, 02:00 PM
"Gifted," eh? Is that a new, politically correct way of saying "Special Ed?"

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m227/Bsmorgan_2006/crank_yankers_yay.jpg

Dino 6 Rings
08-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Darwin Award candidate.

I second this motion.

What part of "Liquid Nitrogen" didn't he understand. Seriously.

TheWarDen86
08-15-2008, 03:34 PM
I second this motion.

What part of "Liquid Nitrogen" didn't he understand. Seriously.

Apparently the warning label stated to:

Wear goggles, gloves, boots, apron, face shield. Do not funnel fluid and do not allow it to touch your skin. It neglected to say, however, "DO NOT DRINK." *rolls eyes*

Preacher
08-15-2008, 04:02 PM
If I remember right... there is some kind of myth about being able to drink it without it harming you... because of the difference in temperature.

I guess that myth is busted.

Texasteel
08-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Intelligence does not make you smart.

millwalldavey
08-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Is it possible he did it by mistake? We all seem to be labelling this kid as an idiot when we do not know the circumstances...

Although, if he picked it up and said "watch this"... then he's an idiot.

revefsreleets
08-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Judging this case by the standards in the Cali gay kids death, there should be several entities sued here:

Princeton (gobs of cash)
Summer Institute (They probably have some jack, and are at least well insured)
The company that produced the liquid N (Probably well-heeled)
The US Gov't (George Bush surely had something to do with this)
Bill Gates (Didn't he attend Princeton for a semester or two 30 years ago?)

Godfather
08-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Is it possible he did it by mistake? We all seem to be labelling this kid as an idiot when we do not know the circumstances...

Although, if he picked it up and said "watch this"... then he's an idiot.

Or "hey y'all, watch this"...final words of many a redneck :laughing:

xfl2001fan
08-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Sounds like a typical case of book smarts without common sense. In the Navy, most of those guys became "Nukes" (going to nuclear power school.)

TheWarDen86
08-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Sounds like a typical case of book smarts without common sense. In the Navy, most of those guys became "Nukes" (going to nuclear power school.)

Wait, first your a Browns fan and now you're Navy too??? You'll be 3 for 3 if your a Democrat. :laughing:

Note: Sorry for the mild hi-jacking. Just a little inter-service prodding. It's normal.

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Apparently the warning label stated to:

Wear goggles, gloves, boots, apron, face shield. Do not funnel fluid and do not allow it to touch your skin. It neglected to say, however, "DO NOT DRINK." *rolls eyes*

With regard to needing to have warning labels on everything as a liability shield against those who have no sense, while watching the Olympics last night and waiting for Phelps to swim, I noticed behind him on camera there was a label on what appeared to be a low diving board or some other device next to the warm-up pool.

We are talking about an multi-lingual event being held in China - of course the legible word on the label on the device (Warning) was in English.:chuckle:

I assume only English speaking USA citizens would be regarded as potentially filing suit against the manufacturer for whatever foolish act that label warned someone not to do, so it makes perfect sense a warning label at China's Olympics is printed in English.