PDA

View Full Version : Not Only America's Team but Canada's

moedap
08-15-2008, 02:16 PM
There was a considerable amount of Steelers fan in that stadium last night. I think the real reason our Steelers get no love from the media and receive hate from other fans is because we have so many loyal fans. There may have been kids who became 49ers fans during the 80's who live nowhere San Francisco(I grew up in New England) but I doubt many are still 49ers fans. I understand Pittsburgh natives dispersed throughout the country but that still wouldnt account for all of the Steelers fans out there. Especially for a preseason game in Toronto, Canada!

HometownGal
08-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Steelers Nation isn't just nationwide, it's worldwide! :tt02::tt02:

Let the Cryboys have the "America's Team" label.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are "Planet Earth'sTeam"! :tt03::tt02::applaudit:

skinart82
08-15-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't live in Johnstown anymore, but there are tons and I mean tons of Steeler fans down here in Tennessee! We travel well, stay loyal and it's The Pittsburgh Steelers!

Kittyfish
08-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Steelers Nation isn't just nationwide, it's worldwide! :tt02::tt02:

Let the Cryboys have the "America's Team" label.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are "Planet Earth'sTeam"! :tt03::tt02::applaudit: Not long ago, I was watching something about Egypt and the Pyramids. There was the expert, talking in front of the Great Pyramid, and what do I see in the background? I think it was a worker in a Steelers shirt. I backed up the TV just to make sure, and yes, it was definitely a Steelers shirt. So to sum up - there they were, in Egypt, in front of the Great Pyramid (in Egypt, mind you) and there was a Steelers fan in the background, going about his business. I thought it was the funniest thing ever. Planet Earth's Team indeed!

revefsreleets
08-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Blame Canada!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/40/235979400_1d3da1cdab.jpg

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-15-2008, 07:03 PM
There's a guy on the steelers.com boards called hamilton steel or canadian steel....Hamilton is steel town for canada.

No surprise to see Steeler fans in Toronto. They are everywhere.

19ward86
08-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Who else would the canadians like, a CFL team? Im sorry but they are terrible compared to the NFL.

HometownGal
08-15-2008, 10:03 PM
There's a guy on the steelers.com boards called hamilton steel or canadian steel....Hamilton is steel town for canada.

No surprise to see Steeler fans in Toronto. They are everywhere.

Hamilton, Ontario is my birthplace. :thumbsup: When the steel mills were active in Pittsburgh, Hamilton looked like a mini-Burgh. Smaller city but similar in many ways.

faneca05
08-16-2008, 12:43 AM
I live in saskatoon, saskatchewan which is a couple provinces west of ontario, and while the NFL is popular , CFL is absolutely dominant. GO ROUGHRIDERS!

Galax Steeler
08-16-2008, 03:40 AM
Who else is there to like in football besides the steelers.:tt02:

CanadianSteel
08-16-2008, 06:53 AM
I was at the game and outside tailgating there was I kid you not 10 to 1 Steeler fans and jerseys versus Bills Jerseys. I spoke to many who were not actually going to the game and just there for tailgating festivities put on bu Budweiser.
Bettis was there speaking on stage and I think he was kinda shocked to see all the Steeler fans, and when I shouted "Your in Steeler country" he gave me the thumbs up which was kinda cool... Could get close enough for a hand shake or autograph so that will have to do...

millwalldavey
08-16-2008, 07:47 AM
There was a Continental Football League team in the 6's called the Victoria Steelers. Like Hamilton, I think there are many communities in Canada that can identify with the Steelers and their fans!

I LOVE THE CFL! How come they never show the games in the states anymore?

I think we should steal the slogan from Bayern Munich of the German soccer league... "ALL OVER THE WORLD!"

faneca05
08-16-2008, 09:52 AM
CanadianSteel howmuch were tickets because I heard there were some upwards of 600$ but scalpers were selling them for 90$.

SteelersJW
08-16-2008, 10:18 AM
F|_|CK Canada, keep the NFL in the US.

rbryan
08-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Thats what I was thinking.....lol Canada doesn't deserve the Stillers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 10:49 AM
CanadianSteel howmuch were tickets because I heard there were some upwards of 600$ but scalpers were selling them for 90$.

Rogers Entertainment group, the owners of the former Skydome and Toronto Blue Jays paid approx $9mil per game for 8 games over the next 5 seasons. The Rogers Center is approx 50000 seat stadium, so the average cost of the tickets was $200 each.

I think the tickets ranged from $90 up to $600 depending on where they were and 80% were sold out in less than a month. The tickets not sold out were the really expensive ones.

The Bills got $9mil for that game and will get another $9mil for the regular season game. If they sell out Ralph Wilson stadium, they make $3mil in revenue.

THAT IS WHY THE GAMES ARE IN TORONTO!! MONEY TALKS.......a 5 alarm fire in East Tonawanda and economic desparity in Buffalo walks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 11:04 AM
I live in saskatoon, saskatchewan which is a couple provinces west of ontario, and while the NFL is popular , CFL is absolutely dominant. GO ROUGHRIDERS!

CFL is dominant in Saskatchewan (dont take this the wrong way) because there is nothing but grain, potash and the U of S huskies in Saskatchewan.

In a lot of canadian cities there are close affiliations to NFL clubs because of the US TV they get (Vancouver-Seattle), (Winnipeg-Minnesota), (Toronto-Buffalo/Detroit) Sault Ste marie- Green Bay, etc.

The CFL can be an exciting game, but a lot recognize the best players in the game are in the NFL and guys from the cut lists like former Steelers (LaVar Glover, Tee martin, D.J.Flick) play in the CFL.

CanadianSteel
08-17-2008, 09:38 AM

Yes Scalpers outside were selling cheap - half price tickets in many cases but thats because these were so overpriced for a pre-season game. Originally you had to buy a 3 or 7 game pack for the Bills games then it went to 2 gamers then individual.
I grabbed upper deck seat around 50 yard line for under face value ( which was $105) from a company promotion, but yes I could have got it cheaper from scalpers.

Lower bowl seats were $550 face and thery tried to get that for pre-season.... ridiculous...

millwalldavey
08-17-2008, 09:45 AM
In to 70's the CFL and the NFL were almost equal on talent terms. The CFL snaked a lot of top us college talent (Jimmy Rodgers por ejemplo...)

Petesburgh66
08-17-2008, 10:08 AM
There are alot of Steeler fans in the greater Toronto area. The problem is that many of them were turned off by the high prices that Rogers was charging, including myself.

In my case, I signed up for the Bills-Toronto mailing list just to get a shot at getting tickets for the Steelers game. But when I saw the prices left for the tickets ($75 to $575), I passed. The $75 seats were in the crappier parts of the 500 level. I have watched Blue Jay games in those areas in the past and I am not a fan of view. It would be worse for football. And $575 for a pre-season ticket is a joke.

And the above prices were the same for the regular season game between the Bills and Dolphins later in December. You have to be kidding me. Then I find out that some of the Steeler-Bill game tickets were given away to fill out the dome. Whatever.

I am not a fan of Monty Burns (aka Ted Rogers) making his deal with Skeletor (aka Ralph Wilson) to bring the Bills to Toronto for 5 years. I want to watch other NFL teams in Toronto besides the Bills.

And for that comment F*ck Canada and keep the NFL in the States. Too late. We have given you ice hockey. We need something back in return. Plus the modern game of football was born in Canada.

Stlrs4Life
08-17-2008, 01:16 PM
What do you mean by the "modern game"?

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-17-2008, 07:27 PM
And for that comment F*ck Canada and keep the NFL in the States. Too late. We have given you ice hockey. We need something back in return. Plus the modern game of football was born in Canada.

What about giving the US , Pam Anderson, Linda Evangilista, Shania Twain, Elisha Cuthbert, Evangelinie Lilly, Jim Carey, Ryan Reynolds, Peter Jennings instant mashed potatos, portable toilets, Delta Wing Fighter Aircraft, an arm for the space shuttle and ...........ooops!!!......Celine Dion.

I guess Celine negates all of that peterborough pete....sorry.

MasterOfPuppets
08-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Football was still basically American rugby -- much different from the popular sport known today. Over the course of three years starting in 1880, Yale player Walter Camp eventually convinced the IFA to change a series of rules in football to create a game that is very similar to the one we know today. For his efforts, Camp is considered by historians as the father of modern football.
http://www.football.com/history.html

thats odd......is there a yale in canada also.....:huh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-17-2008, 08:20 PM

Yes, I think its a bar in Toronto near the University of Toronto that sells recycled draft.....nasty!!

atlsteelers
08-18-2008, 11:44 AM
heck. when i went to the seahawks game last year i ended up drinking with a bunch of guys from quebec. they said they always travel to the burgh to go to games.

faneca05
08-18-2008, 09:56 PM
heck. when i went to the seahawks game last year i ended up drinking with a bunch of guys from quebec. they said they always travel to the burgh to go to games.

Quebec is kinda like Alaska, they're attached to Canada but thier not really Canadian

ricksteelers55
08-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Quebec is kinda like Alaska, they're attached to Canada but thier not really Canadian

id say more like Hawaii minus the incredible weather;)

different cultures,almost different countries but we all live like americans anyway.

and for the record im from Montreal,we do have the Alouettes in here but CFL sucks i bought the cable total package so i could see all the college games and steelers games.

Brandon
08-20-2008, 02:59 PM
In regards for what Canada has given the US, we also give you large amounts of oil, lumber, paper, etc. Oh, and we gave you basketball and the likes of Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Russel Martin, Sidney Crosby and Steve Nash.

As for North Americans team, I'm damn proud of it, every time the Steelers scored, there was a same level cheer if not louder. The entire area surrounding the stadium was black and gold from what I could tell, I cherished the moment.

SteelMember
08-20-2008, 04:18 PM
football was born in Canada.http://www.football.com/history.html

Yeah, what he said.

Take off, eh! :chuckle:

tony hipchest
08-20-2008, 04:40 PM
:dang: how could we forget "Strange Brew"

and great phrases like "you hoser". :chuckle:

LVSteelersfan
08-20-2008, 05:35 PM

And Second City Television which led to all the great comedians on Saturday Night Live over the years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-20-2008, 11:52 PM

What about the classic silver screen line......" I'd kiss you, if you didnt have puke breath".

Man could I go for a 2-4 of Elsinore right now :drink:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-20-2008, 11:55 PM
And Second City Television which led to all the great comedians on Saturday Night Live over the years.

I think only Martin Short on SNL was a real 2nd city product. I dont think guys like Rick Moranis, Dave Thomas, John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy or the girls like Catherine O'hara or Andrea Martin were on SNL were they?

Cooking with Jon LaRue was a great skit!!!

Stlrs4Life
08-24-2008, 08:39 PM
John Candy was.