PDA

View Full Version : Tony Hills looked better this game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 12:11 AM
I watched Hills a bit closer this time and his footwork looked better and he is athletic. He still doesnt have a punch in pass blocking, but drives well in the run game.

I was thinking he might be a 4th rounder that gets cut, but I think he will make the squad and be frequently inactive on gameday. Basically getting a redshirt to work on technique and in the weight room.

Conversely, Doug Legursky looked terrible and I dont think he even makes the PS.

At this point I think the final 9 will be

Smith, Kemo, Hartwig, Simmons, Colon as starters.
Essex, Hills, Starks, Mahan as the backups. (would hate to see Stapleton get cut)

The Duke
08-16-2008, 02:10 AM
3 backup tackles and 1 interior lineman backup?

I think if hills does improve, and the fact he was a 4th round pick, he gets to the practice squad and stapleton ( or someone else) is the other backup lineman

Galax Steeler
08-16-2008, 03:45 AM
I watched Hills a bit closer this time and his footwork looked better and he is athletic. He still doesnt have a punch in pass blocking, but drives well in the run game.

I was thinking he might be a 4th rounder that gets cut, but I think he will make the squad and be frequently inactive on gameday. Basically getting a redshirt to work on technique and in the weight room.

Conversely, Doug Legursky looked terrible and I dont think he even makes the PS.

At this point I think the final 9 will be

Smith, Kemo, Hartwig, Simmons, Colon as starters.
Essex, Hills, Starks, Mahan as the backups. (would hate to see Stapleton get cut)

I noticed Hills also I had my doubts about him making it but I think he will be ok.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 09:50 AM
3 backup tackles and 1 interior lineman backup?

I think if hills does improve, and the fact he was a 4th round pick, he gets to the practice squad and stapleton ( or someone else) is the other backup lineman

Starks and Hills are the backup tackles. Mahan and Essex (Mr. Position Flexibility) are the backup G/C.

If Hills doesnt make the final 53, there is no way he clears waivers as a 4th round pick and standout from Texas.

You could be right, but I dont see them letting Hills go, when Smith and Starks are most likely gone in 09. That would leave Colon (RFA) and Essex (UFA) as the only experienced OT's on the roster.

Lord Stiller
08-16-2008, 10:03 AM
did you notice Stapleton at all. I know everyone raves about him but is he actually good?

rbryan
08-16-2008, 10:12 AM
I'd hope we give the only OL we drafted a little more time to impress than 1 or 2 preseason games to make the squad. If we got rid of everyone who looked out of place in thier first live action we wouldn't have many players left.

tony hipchest
08-16-2008, 10:21 AM
ive always liked the idea of developing players and coaching them up. from what i understand, not every one of the 200+ players drafted are nfl ready.

sounds like hills is showing progression and will stick.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 10:34 AM
did you notice Stapleton at all. I know everyone raves about him but is he actually good?

Yeah, I dont know if I would rave about him, but he is a bit like a slimmer Willie Colon to me. He is active, works hard, comes off the ball well and is aggressive. He battles defenders well and even though he is listed at 285lbs....looks thicker and controls his defenders well.

Despite being undrafted, he was a Rimmington finalist (top C in NCAA) his senior season. I think he has more ability and upside than Mahan, but is still an unfinished product and might get caught in a numbers game.

Leaving Essex and Stapleton as the backup guards might be more risky than Mahan and Essex. Mahan and Stapleton as backup guards are fine, but I think Trai gets the spot because he plays G or T.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 10:36 AM
I'd hope we give the only OL we drafted a little more time to impress than 1 or 2 preseason games to make the squad. If we got rid of everyone who looked out of place in thier first live action we wouldn't have many players left.

The fact is, by the 3rd preseseason game you want to get your starters more work, so if you wanna play Pro Football, you rookies better impress.

Otherwise, you become Fred Gibson or Nathanial Adibi and get released before September.

19ward86
08-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Fred Gibson...you mean the 5th round pick, why does everyone mention him as a guy that had high hopes.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Fred Gibson...you mean the 5th round pick, why does everyone mention him as a guy that had high hopes.

Actually, Gibson was a 4th round pick in 2005 (131st overall). I was comparing his draft position to that of Tony Hills (4th round 130th overall)....or if you want another try Orien Harris (2006, 4th round 133rd overall)

Bottom line is if you don't perform in camp and those few preseason games you might be out the door like Gibson or Harris. Hills being with the 3rd string isnt a lock to make the squad.

I honestly think from what I have seen of him that he run blocks well, but is a bit weak as a pass blocker although when he gets beat he has the athleticism to stay with the guy and ride him wide. His pass protection abilities could end him up at RT next season and could stay with the speed rushers better than Colon(if he hits the weight room).

The Duke
08-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Starks and Hills are the backup tackles. Mahan and Essex (Mr. Position Flexibility) are the backup G/C.

If Hills doesnt make the final 53, there is no way he clears waivers as a 4th round pick and standout from Texas.

You could be right, but I dont see them letting Hills go, when Smith and Starks are most likely gone in 09. That would leave Colon (RFA) and Essex (UFA) as the only experienced OT's on the roster.

oh yeah, forgot essex playing both positions now. and I was just giving him praise for that a few days ago :dang:

then yeah, hills, essex, mahan, and starks.

with stapleton hopefully landing on the PS

rbryan
08-16-2008, 12:00 PM
I always have high hopes for any draft pick. I'm not sure why so many think that any pick after the 4th or 5th rounder should be viewed as a longshot. Its pretty hard to field a team comprised of players all picked in the first three rounds.

Hapa
08-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I think Mahan might start. He makes the whole line better because he's known them for a longer time. Even though Hartwig is individually better...

DACEB
08-16-2008, 04:57 PM
I understand the logistics of positions and contracts, but....I don't think you can even compare Hills play vs. Stapletons. Stapleton has definitely beefed up and has performed on a different level than Hills, there's no comparison IMO. If anyone goes to the practice squad, it's Hills. I still say they should put him on PUP/IR... there's still time for him to get hurt.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 05:51 PM
I hear you DACEB, Stapleton is farther along than Hills. The problem is that Hills will get claimed by somebody before he gets to our practice squad....so say goodbye to him if he doesnt make the 53 man roster.

So next year it appears that if contract extensions are not worked out before the reg season, then both Smith and Starks will leave via free agency and Essex may also test the market.

That leaves the only definate returning OT next season Willie Colon. That will be scary!!

What I can envision happening is Essex gets a new contract and both Colon and Hills can duel for the RT job next season and a new LT is signed in FA with the nearly $12 Million in free $$ when Smith and Starks leave.

DACEB
08-17-2008, 02:34 PM
I still say they should put him on PUP/IR... there's still time for him to get hurt.

That leg just doesn't look right.:wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-17-2008, 07:05 PM
That leg just doesn't look right.:wink02:

I got you now.....but if the leg is medically cleared for him to play, can we hire somebody to Gilooly him :wink02:

43Hitman
08-17-2008, 07:07 PM
I got you now.....but if the leg is medically cleared for him to play, can we hire somebody to Gilooly him :wink02:

Tonya Harding is probably available and I am sure she could use the money.:flap:

SteelMember
08-18-2008, 08:13 AM

I don't know if people had high hopes for him as a player. More based on hating a draft pick not even making the team in any capacity. :noidea: With all the scouting, the phrase "hiding a player on the practice squad" dosen't exist in this era of the NFL.

I do understand your question though, judging by your avatar. If you watched any UGA games, he never seemed to haul in the pressure catches. Too many dropsies.