PDA

View Full Version : Holmes has the look of an NFL star

GBMelBlount
08-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Holmes has the look of an NFL star

It's beginning to look as if the torch is being passed from Hines Ward to Santonio Holmes as the Steelers' No. 1 receiver.

Actually, you could probably say that it's more like 1 and 1-A.

In two preseason games, Holmes has caught three passes for 72 yards and two touchdowns in limited action.

Thursday night's touchdown catch in the Steelers' 24-21 loss to Buffalo in Toronto was pure beauty.

Holmes lined up wide left and took off from the line of scrimmage like he was shot from a gun. Cornerback Ashton Youboty never had a chance.

Ben Roethlisberger lofted the pass perfectly into the back of the end zone and Holmes ran under it, making the catch before the safety could come over and knock it away.

It's the kind of play that Holmes makes on a regular basis and a reason why he's seen as a top breakout candidate, not just for the Steelers, but in the entire NFL.

For wide receivers, their third season is a critical one. It's the season when everything finally comes together. They understand the offense. They understand what the defense is doing. And they finally have a nice rapport with the quarterback.

Terrell Owens, Rod Smith, Santana Moss, Braylon Edwards and Steve Smith are just a few of the receivers who have seen their production jump dramatically in their third NFL season.

"Hines is still our go-to guy," said Holmes, the first receiver taken in the 2006 draft. "We need those first downs. We need those small catches across the middle. We need a big-game play from Hines. He's still going to be there for us. I'm used more so as a deep threat. But, at the same time, I think my opportunity will come to become the leader of the team."

It could come as early as this season - not that Holmes hasn't been good in his first two years.

After catching 49 passes for 824 yards and two touchdowns as a rookie despite making just four starts, he had 52 receptions for 942 yards and eight scores in 2007. His 18.2 yards per catch led all NFL receivers who had 25 or more catches.

And Holmes did that in 2007 despite missing three games with hamstring problems.

This season, Holmes wants to be more than just a deep threat. The Steelers are likely to oblige.

They've already begun moving Holmes around to keep defenses from focusing on him. That should continue to get Holmes one-on-one coverage, a battle he's going to win more often than not.

"We're starting to be interchangeable, and it's only going to help our offense grow," said Ward.

It has to be a scary prospect for opposing defenses.

The Steelers are still a run-first offense. But with Ward and Holmes, they have a pair of starting receivers who must be accounted for, particularly with Roethlisberger chucking them the ball.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/08-16-Lolley-Steelers-column

F. Dale Lolley can be reached at dlolley@observer-reporter.com

Mosca
08-16-2008, 11:20 AM
LOL, Holmes has just motivated Hines Ward. Look out, NFL!

Dodt
08-16-2008, 11:21 AM
good read. thanks for posting that

HometownGal
08-16-2008, 12:40 PM
It's the kind of play that Holmes makes on a regular basis and a reason why he's seen as a top breakout candidate, not just for the Steelers, but in the entire NFL.

Santo is a star on the rise and I firmly believe he is going to have a great season - maybe even a trip to Hawaii is in the cards. I've loved this gutsy young man since he was drafted by the Steelers and he certainly has the abilities and skills to be scary good not only this year, but in seasons to come. :tt03::tt02:

Edman
08-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Now if only this goddamn O-Line can block.

The Duke
08-16-2008, 01:07 PM
holmes is definitely going to break out this season

pro bowl? he'll be worthy of a pro bowl, but there's just too many good receivers in the AFC.

I'll be happy if ben and santo connect for a td once a game like they are doing in preseason. that's 16 tds!!

should be fun to see him beat corners around the league. and throw his share of blocks ala hines ward :tt:

9-5
08-16-2008, 01:17 PM
It's nice to see Homes doing well, even if it is for the Steelers.

steeltheone
08-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Remember how everybody was ready to ship him out the first half of his rookie year. FUMBLES

HometownGal
08-16-2008, 01:22 PM
It's nice to see Homes doing well, even if it is for the Steelers.

Did you hit your head or something? :wink02::flap:

wootawnee
08-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Go Deep!.........

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Holmes lined up wide left and took off from the line of scrimmage like he was shot from a gun. Cornerback Ashton Youboty never had a chance

Ashton....Yourbooty was about five yards behind Homes. In fact...he left Yourbooty in the dust.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Remember how everybody was ready to ship him out the first half of his rookie year. FUMBLES

Not really.....I remember everybody on him for being a deadbeat dad.....didnt he have domestic abuse charges on him his rookie season??

He was clearly the best WR in college his Sr. season. Stands to reason he is gonna be a star. Many WR's breakout in their 3rd season and I expect this to be a 1000 yard receiving year if he can stay healthy.

Texasteel
08-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Not really.....I remember everybody on him for being a deadbeat dad.....didnt he have domestic abuse charges on him his rookie season??

I think that was before he was even signed. Since he's been a Steeler he has been keeping himself pretty strait hasn't he?

BlastFurnace
08-16-2008, 05:42 PM
I think he is every bit as good as Braylon Edwards right now. So far, the only weakness I have seen with Santonio is keeping his hamstrings healthy. Beyond that, what a great pick at the end of the 1st round for the Steelers.

tony hipchest
08-16-2008, 06:56 PM

He was clearly the best WR in college his Sr. season. Stands to reason he is gonna be a star. Many WR's breakout in their 3rd season and I expect this to be a 1000 yard receiving year if he can stay healthy.
youre right. alot of fans wanted felt he was too much of a character problem to be a member of the rooneys choir and glee club. they wanted him shipped out within weeks of being drafted. remember there was the arrest for j-walking in miami beach? a few weeks later the domestic was dropped on him. couple those with him having 3-4 kids with 2-3 women and people were sure he was a wasted pick.

its been a beautifull progression he has shown this offseason (despite overreactive melodramatic fans getting worked up over his comments on practice).

first were his post mini-camp comments that ben dont need to put all the pressure on himself and put more trust in all the weap0ns around him.

2nd was the nice play in philly that showed all the work the 2 had put in together. thats the type of stuff harrison and manning do.

3rd was this proof that someone is listening and trusting (in regards to the 40 yd bomb against the bills)- "He told me the play before, 'Just throw it out there for me,' and I did," Roethlisberger said

in the past, ben might have waited to see the receiver come open (and possibly taking a sack). now ben is anticipating and trusting his guys will get open (ben threw the ball before santonio had even passed the defender.

before last season, i made the comparisson to tory holt (size, speed, #1 wr taken to a sb calibur team, rookie production, and playing alongside a potential HOF'er). i thought last season would be a break out year. him leading the league w/ 18+ypc suggest i may have only been a year off.

this is the year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 08:21 PM
youre right. alot of fans wanted felt he was too much of a character problem to be a member of the rooneys choir and glee club. remember there was the arrest for j-walking in miami beach? .

Tony, dont forget in addition to j-walking, he was verbally abusive to a police officer:chuckle:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06148/693853-66.stm

I think the OT reception to beat the Bungles his Rookie season showed he was gonna be a good one.

SteelersMongol
08-16-2008, 09:57 PM
I think that was before he was even signed. Since he's been a Steeler he has been keeping himself pretty strait hasn't he?

Heck, even some of us fans, been keeping ourselves straight since we "jumped on the Steelers bandwagon". :wink02:

9-5
08-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Did you hit your head or something? :wink02::flap:
Haha, no. I root for all Ohio State grads, no matter where they play....

Speaking of which, Ashton Youboty, your coverage skills could use work. I know Santo was a teammate and all, but don't just give him a TD.:chuckle:

Steelman16
08-17-2008, 01:39 AM
Holmes is the real deal. (to borrow a line from the great, infallible Madden...)

He's erased any doubts I may have had in the beginning. He's a Steeler, and he acts like one.

And now, he's playing like one too! Ben to Santo all year! Deadly stuff. If you don't watch Santo, Hines will carve you up one side down the other. With Limas in the wings, our WR corps hasn't looked this good in awhile.

Galax Steeler
08-17-2008, 06:58 AM
And now, he's playing like one too! Ben to Santo all year! Deadly stuff. If you don't watch Santo, Hines will carve you up one side down the other. With Limas in the wings, our WR corps hasn't looked this good in awhile.

Yea we are looking reall good with our wide recievers this year I can't wait for the season to start.

SteelMember
08-18-2008, 07:09 AM
I believe he is going have a great season.

If you ask, Que pasa, Holmes?

The response will be, The score...by 6 more points.:thumbsup:

stlrtruck
08-18-2008, 08:25 AM
It's all well and good on paper. But let's see if it can carry over for 19 games!!!