PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Make Three Roster Moves

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Steelers Make Three Roster Moves
Steelers.com

PITTSBURGH ― The Steelers made three roster moves today, including signing free agent tight end Lee Vickers, placing tight end Jonathan Dekker on the Waived/Injured List and waiving defensive end Kevin Huntley.

Vickers (6-6, 275) was originally signed as a rookie free agent by the Steelers as a defensive end out of North Alabama in 2006 but was released that same season in training camp. He was then signed as a tight end to the Philadelphia Eagles practice squad where he spent most of the 2006 season on the practice squad. Vickers was released by the Eagles and signed by the Baltimore Ravens in 2007 and played in nine games as a tight end, starting two. He caught two passes for four yards but was released last week from the Ravens.

Dekker (6-5, 250) suffered a season-ending knee injury in the Steelers’ preseason game against the Buffalo Bills. He originally signed as a rookie free agent with the team in 2006 and spent the entire 2006 season and 11 games of the 2007 season on Pittsburgh’s practice squad. He was signed to the active roster for the final five games of the 2007 regular season, seeing action in three contests.

Huntley (6-7, 290) was waived after failing his physical. He originally signed with the Oakland Raiders as a rookie free agent from Kansas State in 2006. Huntley played in the final five games of his rookie season with Oakland and registered 10 tackles, 2.5 sacks and a recovered fumble. He spent the 2007 season with the Atlanta Falcons and recorded three tackles while playing in five games. The Steelers claimed him last week from the Washington Redskins.
http://news.steelers.com/article/93658/

Three players hurt already....Sepulveda, Batch, Dekker.
...............Time to contact that Shaman to chase away the bad spirits...:injured:

Lord Stiller
08-16-2008, 04:21 PM
dang, thought thery cut Mahan

oh well, there's always next week :sofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Who is gonna be the #3 TE?? Cody Boyd or Dez Sherrod??

If we signed Vickers as a DE 2 years ago and he bounced around practice squads.....I doubt he has much more than "camp body" to his potential. But I never know.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Who is gonna be the #3 TE?? Cody Boyd or Dez Sherrod??

If we signed Vickers as a DE 2 years ago and he bounced around practice squads.....I doubt he has much more than "camp body" to his potential. But I never know.

I take it that Vickers was signed as a TE....he was switched to TE by the Eagles after being initially picked up as a DE

7/39/43
08-16-2008, 04:46 PM
They need to cut Taylor. Mahan,Moore, loud mouth Smith, reid

The Duke
08-16-2008, 04:51 PM
well, so much for huntley helping the D Line....

which taylor?

BlastFurnace
08-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Lee Vickers had a heck of a preseason game against us last year as a Tight End. Even caught a touchdown pass. He could stick since Decker is out of the picture. I think it's a pretty good signing.

BlastFurnace
08-16-2008, 05:37 PM

Cutting Mahan would be foolish. He is atleast a very good swing man in the interior line and we will need a quality backup at Center if Hartwig wins the spot or gets hurt during the regular season.

Mahan is an important part of our OL depth.

7/39/43
08-16-2008, 07:31 PM
well, so much for huntley helping the D Line....

which taylor?

Ike:tt03::tt03::tt03:

Texasteel
08-16-2008, 07:51 PM

I would say your wrong on 4 out of 5

HometownGal
08-16-2008, 07:51 PM
dang, thought thery cut Mahan

nevermind, im done talking about Mahan :noidea:

From what I saw at TC, Boyd looked quite impressive.

Shame about Dekker. The odds don't favor it, but I hope this is the last entry on the injury list this season. :doh:

RoethlisBURGHer
08-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Here is who we need to cut:

Ben Roethlisberger: Way too much money, we could use that cap space to sign John Kuhn to a long-term deal to play RB/FB/WR/QB/TE/OT/G/C all at one time and save a ton of roster spots!

Willie Parker: Fumbles too much and is injury prone.

Hines Ward: He's old, we need to get younger.

Chris Kemoeatu: Will never be as good as Faneca, so we don't need him.

Ike Taylor: Best CB on the team? Pshhhhhhhh!

Troy Polamalu: He was never good to begin with, it was just all one big elusion!

Deshea Townsend: Like Ward, he's a billion years old!

HometownGal
08-16-2008, 08:05 PM

Ben Roethlisberger: Way too much money, we could use that cap space to sign John Kuhn to a long-term deal to play RB/FB/WR/QB/TE/OT/G/C all at one time and save a ton of roster spots!

Troy Polamalu: He was never good to begin with, it was just all one big elusion!

:toofunny::toofunny:

You forgot:

Santonio Holmes: He has character issues.

James Farrior: He is too OLD.

Casey Hampton: He's a beefalo.

Jeff Reed: He poses for dirty shower pics. :chuckle:

Hey - may as well get rid of Tomlin too. We know the answers to every problem the Steelers have and may have in the future, so why do we even need a HC? :noidea: :laughing:

steel striker
08-16-2008, 08:07 PM

Well I'll agree to disagree with you on a few points here. So you are telling me we should cut Big Ben? Are you nuts?? He is the best Qb we have had since Bradshaw and, one of the best in the game today. Also name a better Qb than Ben when the play breaks down? If the steelers did not pay him you could better believe some other team would. Than you say Troy is not that good? What? When healthy there is not a better game changing player in the game. Remember the 2005 div playoff game or the 2005 afc champ game? Troy was awesome. Come on! The you pick on Hines and, that is just not right. Are you a true steeler fan? Let me ask you this then name a qb alive or dead that would have made THE TACKLE? vs the 2005 colt playoff game. Also without Ben we would never even made it to the SB! So who's side are you on? I know where I stand :tt::tt03::tt02:

43Hitman
08-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah the players we do keep can just check into the boards to see their daily assignments and game plans.

GeneralRobinson
08-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Well I'll agree to disagree with you on a few points here. So you are telling me we should cut Big Ben? Are you nuts?? He is the best Qb we have had since Bradshaw and, one of the best in the game today. Also name a better Qb than Ben when the play breaks down? If the steelers did not pay him you could better believe some other team would. Than you say Troy is not that good? What? When healthy there is not a better game changing player in the game. Remember the 2005 div playoff game or the 2005 afc champ game? Troy was awesome. Come on! The you pick on Hines and, that is just not right. Are you a true steeler fan? Let me ask you this then name a qb alive or dead that would have made THE TACKLE? vs the 2005 colt playoff game. Also without Ben we would never even made it to the SB! So who's side are you on? I know where I stand :tt::tt03::tt02:

Please note below word in bold and italics:

Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer
[sarcasm]Here is who we need to cut:

Texasteel
08-16-2008, 08:11 PM
See, now this is why we need a sarcasm smiley.

HometownGal
08-16-2008, 08:12 PM

Ummmm - striker - Roeth was just joking as was I. Note the [sarcasm] markers before and after his post. :chuckle::wink02:

HometownGal
08-16-2008, 08:13 PM
See, now this is why we need a sarcasm smiley.

Or cyber seeing eye dogs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2008, 08:26 PM

Any Jim Rome fans out there??

I wonder what steel striker would think about the Jim Rome c0ckfighing across america movement?? :chuckle: Anyways, gotta run, I'm playing basketball with former NCAA hoop star Tony Gwynn .:rofl:

tony hipchest
08-16-2008, 08:43 PM
love rome. the c)ckfighting across america movement? hu-larious.

Steeldude
08-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Casey Hampton: He's a beefalo

that part is true and it's been hurting him.

The Duke
08-16-2008, 09:35 PM

I don't think this was sarcasm. seems very smart to me :chuckle:

tony hipchest
08-16-2008, 10:12 PM
that part is true and it's been hurting him.but for how long has it been hurting him?

im willing to bet he was born as a 10lb+ gargantuan baby. i can imagine his size alone getting him a spot on the HS football team. his girth probably earned him a college scholarship. his size and atheletisizm has translated into a 1st round pick, millions of dollars, multiple pro bowls and a superbowl championship.

maybe his weight did hurt him in the latter part of last season, but so did his team losing polamalu, smith, and clark.

his weight will definitely hurt him later in life. he's a BIG man = beefalo. sure some is lifestyle, but im willing to bet atleast half is genetic. atleast hes active and doing some sort of working out. it may not help the steelers in 5 years but it may add a few more years onto his life.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-17-2008, 10:02 AM
love rome. the c)ckfighting across america movement? hu-larious.

Yeah, but what about the one where he said that hedidnt know Tony Gwynn played basketball at Michigan because of the NCAA hoops promos showed Glenn Rice.

Some caller comes in and corrects him that it wasnt Tony Gwynn.......again a guy that needed a sarcasm prompt. Great Stuff.

SteelMember
08-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Sorry to hear about Dekker's injury. I don't think he was playing very well though. So I don't know if he would have mave the final cut anyway.

revefsreleets
08-18-2008, 05:19 PM
If we'd have only drafted OL and DL across the board, we wouldn't have any of these problems.

Not really being sarcastic, just a smartass...

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2008, 08:25 PM
If we'd have only drafted OL and DL across the board, we wouldn't have any of these problems.

Not really being sarcastic, just a smartass...

Funny, I never mentioned anything about O-line or D-line in this thread. :noidea:

On second thought, we should have drafted
Round 1- Mendenhall
Round 2- Kendall Langford
Round 3- Anthony Collins

And the need to sign Orpheus Roye might not be necessary. :wave:

revefsreleets
08-18-2008, 08:42 PM
That's one thread.

Now what can we do about all the other ones you post the same thing over and over again in?

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2008, 09:35 PM
That's one thread.

Now what can we do about all the other ones you post the same thing over and over again in?

Wait until I jump back on the Kuhn Bandwagon ..:banana:

The Duke
08-18-2008, 09:50 PM

jump back?? :jawdrop:

you mean you were off it?

I just lost all my respect for you :chuckle:

faneca05
08-18-2008, 09:51 PM

Finally! Someone else sees that Kuhn is the key to the steelers future!

stlrtruck
08-18-2008, 10:13 PM

I miss Kuhn. I wish he was back where he belongs.

Kuhn for President 08
Kuhn for Steelers Ownership
Kuhn for Steelers starting lineup, playing Off, Def, and STs
Kuhn for Ruler of the World

When Chuck Norris goes to sleep, he checks under his bed for John Kuhn!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2008, 10:31 PM
jump back?? :jawdrop:

you mean you were off it?

I just lost all my respect for you :chuckle:

See Duke, with guys like you, Faneca05 and Stlrtruck solidly on the bandwagon, there was only room for me to get half my a$$ on it with my legs dangling over the edge. Ahhhh....the pride of Shippensburgh:tt02:

stlrtruck
08-18-2008, 10:56 PM
See Duke, with guys like you, Faneca05 and Stlrtruck solidly on the bandwagon, there was only room for me to get half my a$$ on it with my legs dangling over the edge. Ahhhh....the pride of Shippensburgh:tt02:

Hey I've lost some weight so let me move over a little bit so you can have some more room and relax...and while we're at it :drink: here's to Kuhn :drink:

tony hipchest
08-18-2008, 11:34 PM
really, i cant believe you guys are still clamouring for kuhn. hes gone.

GET OVER IT!

:chuckle: (maybe we do need a sarcasm smiley)

:couch:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2008, 11:49 PM
come on Tony!?........without Kuhn we would all be clamouring for FU!! Say it with us...FUUUUUU!!!! KUUUUUUUUN!!!

I think its the U-sound that makes it so much fun!!!

stlrtruck
08-19-2008, 12:48 PM
really, i cant believe you guys are still clamouring for kuhn. hes gone.

GET OVER IT!

:chuckle: (maybe we do need a sarcasm smiley)

:couch:

What are you hiding behind the couch for Tony?
:bricks: :tomato: :bricks: :tomato:

And besides you know deep in your soul YOU LOVE JOHN KUHN! We all do. Besides John Kuhn read your quote and he'll be at your doorstep tonight.