PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the greatest Olympian ever- M. Phelps

tony hipchest
08-16-2008, 11:25 PM
8 golds and 7 world records this year alone. everyone knows Mark Spitz and Bungles Swallow, but what Phelps has dont is truly along the lines of Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong, and Michael Jordan.

pittsburghp8baller
08-16-2008, 11:43 PM
congrats to m. phelps

i watched him get his 5th the other night and to my surprise it actually kept me on the edge of my seat. i wasnt one to really get into the olympics other than seeing the US' medal count i really never paid any attention to it. but after seeing him race i jus really got into it, stuff ive never cared for im suddenly standing up and rooting for now its a great time and i cant wait for the winter olympics and see how team USA does in hockey

CantStop85
08-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Truly amazing performance, but he's still second in my book to Jesse Owens as "the greatest Olympian ever."

tony hipchest
08-17-2008, 01:09 AM
Truly amazing performance, but he's still second in my book to Jesse Owens as "the greatest Olympian ever."well, no arguments there.

everyone just pretend this thread read the "most gold medal winningest olympian ever".

i do give weight to track and field over swimming, as it is a bit more relevant and practical. after all, humans are not exactly aquatic creatures.

Preacher
08-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Truly amazing performance, but he's still second in my book to Jesse Owens as "the greatest Olympian ever."

Pure domination in the sport, I give it to Phelps...

But when it comes to an overall statement and representation of the US tied into the performance... Jesse Owens.

Steelman16
08-17-2008, 02:32 AM
Agree with you preach and tony, but either way...

The man is an absolute beast. Dwight Howard joked that he should be called The Mermaid. :chuckle:

Congratz to Michael for 8 golds! :thumbsup:

Aussie_steeler
08-17-2008, 05:37 AM
Stunning performance to accumulate 8 gold medals from 8 events.

Interesting read today in an aussie paper about Marfan Syndrome

I certainly hope that he can enjoy an long and enjoyable life after his career has finished leaving him as the greatest swimmer ever without ever being diagnosed with this syndrome.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/swimming/does-a-genetic-flaw-make-phelps-great/2008/08/15/1218307227410.html

PS. gotta fell sorry for the poor buggers who compete in 10 events in the Decathlon and only get one gold medal.

Galax Steeler
08-17-2008, 07:16 AM
It is truly amazing congratilations M. Phelps.

Atlanta Dan
08-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Well nobody's perfect:chuckle:

"I have been tested once a year ever since at Johns Hopkins under the direction of Dr Peter Roe and the tissues are strong, the aortic route is clear and my heart is in good shape - [B]as long as my Baltimore Ravens are winning."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/swimming/does-a-genetic-flaw-make-phelps-great/2008/08/15/1218307227410.html

Congrats to Michael Phelps - as Mark Spitz said in his interview the other night with Costas on NBC, it is "epic"

millwalldavey
08-17-2008, 10:00 AM
I admit turning off the Steelers feed to watch him on Thursday...

I got to see all 8 races... it ran the gamut from nailbiter to out and out domination. He was amazing.

How can such a nice kid be a Ratbirds fan????

RoethlisBURGHer
08-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Congrats to Michael Phelps!

TroysBadDawg
08-17-2008, 11:46 AM

How about the Native American boy named Jim Thorpe, who broke all records then had his medals taken from him because he played one season of semi-pro baseball.

Something he did not compete in yet we have these multi-millionaire basket ball players who play basketball professionally.

tony hipchest
08-17-2008, 01:28 PM
the best part of watching phelps is seeing him on the podium, with his hand across his heart, as the american anthem plays.

see, im like george bush. i looked into the young mans eyes and saw his soul.

the look of serene bliss, both amazed, and proud of his accomplishment. you cant tell if hes gonna cry or laugh. it is a sight to behold someone intoxicated with nothing more than success, and waning adrenaline.

chad johnson oughtta be ashamed to even joke about calling out this fine american. i can see johnson on a podium for the 8th time making a complete mockery of the ceremony. rolling his eyes, picking his underwear out of his asscrack, and blowing kisses to girls in the stands.

kudos to the baltimore ravens to encourage the stadium full of people to stay and watch phelps race on the big screen, after their preseason game on sat.

and kudos to phelps for not coming off as a c0cky assclown and shedding a good light on americans to the world.

Atlanta Dan
08-17-2008, 03:34 PM
the best part of watching phelps is seeing him on the podium, with his hand across his heart, as the american anthem plays.

see, im like george bush. i looked into the young mans eyes and saw his soul.

the look of serene bliss, both amazed, and proud of his accomplishment. you cant tell if hes gonna cry or laugh. it is a sight to behold someone intoxicated with nothing more than success, and waning adrenaline.

chad johnson oughtta be ashamed to even joke about calling out this fine american. i can see johnson on a podium for the 8th time making a complete mockery of the ceremony. rolling his eyes, picking his underwear out of his asscrack, and blowing kisses to girls in the stands.

kudos to the baltimore ravens to encourage the stadium full of people to stay and watch phelps race on the big screen, after their preseason game on sat.

and kudos to phelps for not coming off as a c0cky assclown and shedding a good light on americans to the world.

He just seems like a very grounded young man and with all the disagreements on just about everything these days it was great for everyone (except for the French relay team and the Serb whom Phelps somehow beat in the 100m butterfly who talked trash:sofunny:) to get behind a common goal for at least one week. I liked these excerpts from a story up on ESPN.com today:

As with the Miracle on Ice team in 1980, everyone was rowing in the same direction on this one. It wasn't your team versus my team. It was Our Michael versus Their Mortals. In Beijing, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant showed up twice to see Phelps swim. The second appearance was Sunday, and they stayed around to see the final medal ceremony after Phelps and his teammates won the 400-meter medley relay. They raised their arms to get his attention, blew kisses at Phelps' mom and sisters across the pool, clapped like starstruck fans....

[W]e heard humility and appreciation, not ego and entitlement. We heard how Phelps was staying in the athletes' village instead of a luxury hotel, and how he excitedly sought out tennis star Rafael Nadal to say hello. We heard him say that the time spent playing spades and Risk with his teammates were the best times of all.

"I am lucky to have everything I have," Phelps said. "I'm lucky to have the talent I have, the drive I have, the excitement I have about the sport. I'm fortunate to have every quality I have."

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3539324

OTOH he didn't sing along as the Star Spangled Banner was played last night - why does Michael Phelps hate America?:chuckle:

revefsreleets
08-18-2008, 07:58 AM
I wonder if he'll be able to dominate at 27? He's only 23, and 27 is hardly "past his prime". It'll be interesting to see what he can do in 2012.

HometownGal
08-18-2008, 08:44 AM
This young man is just incredible all the way around. A gifted athlete, a great son and brother, a proud American and now an Olympic legend! :drink:

Congrats Mike and we all look forward to seeing you in the 2012 Olympic games! :applaudit::hatsoff:

lilyoder6
08-18-2008, 08:46 AM
ithink he can still dominate at 27.. i mean look at torres, she's 41 and was beating most ppl in the pool... but phelps is phenomenal and was fun watching him race.. and kobe and lebron blowing kisses to his sister!?!? :o

stlrtruck
08-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Bottom line - Phelps at this very moment is the pinnacle of American Athletes.

Watching him in the race, I believe it was Friday night (with that last 100th of a second push) and then watching him Saturday night was amazing. I'm sure in 5 years they'll have a movie about him.

Atlanta Dan
08-18-2008, 03:38 PM
I wonder if he'll be able to dominate at 27? He's only 23, and 27 is hardly "past his prime". It'll be interesting to see what he can do in 2012.

He said he will not swim past 2012 and apprarently is going to switch to sprints and give up longer races such as the IM by then - hard to say if his skill set will switch over to sprints

Great interview last night with Costas - first with Phelps and his oach coach & then a separate interview with Phelps & his Mom.

Springsteen apparently was playing in Jacksonville Friday night - after announcing to the crowd Michael had just won the 100 fly The Boss & The E Street Band played Born In The USA - Phelps definitely is living the dream

OneForTheToe
08-19-2008, 03:16 PM
He said he will not swim past 2012 and apprarently is going to switch to sprints and give up longer races such as the IM by then - hard to say if his skill set will switch over to sprints

Great interview last night with Costas - first with Phelps and his oach coach & then a separate interview with Phelps & his Mom.

Springsteen apparently was playing in Jacksonville Friday night - after announcing to the crowd Michael had just won the 100 fly The Boss & The E Street Band played Born In The USA - Phelps definitely is living the dream

I agree 2012 will probably be the end for Phelps. However, what if Chicago wins the right to host the 2016 Olympics? It would be hard for Phelps to retire if the next Olympics were on U.S. soil.

I don't think Chicago is going to win those rights,but they are a finalist along with RIO, Madrid and Tokyo. The problems in Atlanta (which were over-exaggerated to some extent, imo) will be used by the "no to America" international crowd to award the games to RIO or Tokyo probably. I think Madrid should be out because the 2012 games are in London. My bet is on an upset with RIo winning. First, there have never been games held in South America. Second, it would placate NBC (who pays the highest rights fees) to some extent because they could show events live.