PDA

View Full Version : About China; copied from another forum

Mosca
08-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Quote:

A friend of mine visited China and jokes that in Tieneman Square is a plaque that reads "on this site, on the 3rd of June 1989, nothing happened".

Actually he has a very touching story of visiting the square. While there he was looking for sites from the event. A Chinese man asked him "what are you looking for". My friend, nervous about confronting a foreigner in his own country about one of his fellow countryman's misdeeds and not wanting to insult, said "oh, nothing." The man replies "I know what you are looking for. Come with me". He followed the man and the man pointed out a spot (I don't recall if it's where the students had erected the statue of liberty or if it was where the man stared down the tank). He pointed in said "this is the spot you are looking for. We aren't supposed to know what happened here... but we know."

end quote.

And this link:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/china/article4547323.ece

revefsreleets
08-18-2008, 08:50 AM
We were talking about the Olympics this weekend, and something occurred to me. I was thinking back to the days of Communist USSR, especially the tensions in the 80's between the USSR and US, boycotting back and forth and all that, and I was wondering, do you think the Russian papers printed true and real medal counts? I was wondering if they printed something like:

USSR 157 57 Gold 50 Silver 50 Bronze
China 20 7 gold 7 silver 6 bronze
yadda yadda yadda
US 1 0 gold 0 silver 1bronze

And I wonder if they are giving true and accurate reports in China? The press is under the thumb of the government, and it is NOT an open society. Internet access is restricted. I believe they probably could fudge and fool 90% of their own poulation. It's impossible to keep track of all the events without 57 channels of coverage, and I'm sure the Chinese don't have those capabilities.

Food for thought...

SteelersMongol
08-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Quote:

A friend of mine visited China and jokes that in Tieneman Square is a plaque that reads "on this site, on the 3rd of June 1989, nothing happened".

Actually he has a very touching story of visiting the square. While there he was looking for sites from the event. A Chinese man asked him "what are you looking for". My friend, nervous about confronting a foreigner in his own country about one of his fellow countryman's misdeeds and not wanting to insult, said "oh, nothing." The man replies "I know what you are looking for. Come with me". He followed the man and the man pointed out a spot (I don't recall if it's where the students had erected the statue of liberty or if it was where the man stared down the tank). He pointed in said "this is the spot you are looking for. We aren't supposed to know what happened here... but we know."

end quote.

And this link:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/china/article4547323.ece

Wow, that is so cool. :thumbsup: Thanks.