PDA

View Full Version : Orpheus Roye returns to Pittsburgh

Edman
08-17-2008, 04:33 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/s_583438.html

About seven-eight years too late I say. Man, the D-Line really needs some youth.

Atlanta Dan
08-17-2008, 04:34 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/s_583438.html

About seven-eight years too late I say. Man, the D-Line really needs some youth.

I was gonna post the P-G link and you beat me to it

I agree - picking up a 12 year DL vet cut by the Browns is not a good sign for quality DL depth

BlastFurnace
08-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Well, if it means ridding ourselves of Eason, I'm all for it.

Lord Stiller
08-17-2008, 05:17 PM
if anything, maybe it will light a fire under the other D-linemen who all sucked last game

not a bad move (fyi, the other lineman they tried to sign failed a physical)

j-dawg
08-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Orpheus Roye may be old, but he's got mad props from me...... I still think he's got some left in the tank, if he doesn't have to play every down.

Mill Write
08-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Wow! They must really be down, maybe even double-down on the Snack.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Roye is about the same age as Kimo VonOlhoffen was the year the Steelers won the Super Bowl and roughly the same age as Kirschke.

He is a much better 3-4 end than Kirschke or Eason, so I say WELCOME BACK!!

Remember when Roye was a wedge buster on special teams his rookie season....amazing!!

NV STEELERS 723
08-17-2008, 07:31 PM
I'd rather have Mean Joe Green...

wootawnee
08-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Yea I remember when Roye was a wedge breaker in the 97 season they went to the championship game and lost to Denver.....He was a Monster........He used to tear dudes in two........

RoethlisBURGHer
08-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Never thought I'd see him back in the Black and Gold. If anything, he can teach some of these youngins a few things about football.

Rick5895
08-17-2008, 08:41 PM
I hope they got him cheap, they should be lookin for O linemen, and cut loose Starks and his ridiculas salary!!

43Hitman
08-17-2008, 08:44 PM
I hope they got him cheap, they should be lookin for O linemen, and cut loose Starks and his ridiculas salary!!

Were payin that salary regardless.

BlastFurnace
08-17-2008, 08:58 PM
I think this is a positive move by the FO. Like I have said earlier, I love how Tomlin is always looking for ways to improve the roster. We need young DL'man, but it isn't going to happen this season. We might as well get who can help us this year and worry about next year....next year.

Roye atleast can hold his own at the point of attack. He is a big body who has experience in the 3-4. Eason, as big as he is, for whatever reason was not strong at the point of attack...but that is assuming that its Eason getting released and not Kirschke.

Another good move by the Steelers.

BlastFurnace
08-17-2008, 09:00 PM

Starks is making the roster regardless if he is a backup. With Smith's injury history, we need someone who can play over there. No matter what we think of the decision to sign Max, he offers us quality depth at LT and RT...which is something we will need at some point this season.

Steelman16
08-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Good pickup, welcome back to the 'Burgh Roye!

He's obviously a short-term patch-job, but he should be an upgrade over Eason. Next year we can infuse some youth into both the D and O lines.

steeltheone
08-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Good move. We need depth.

Steeldude
08-17-2008, 11:30 PM
this tells me the steelers do see a big problem with the D-line. they get rid of huntley(failing physical) and immediately look for another replacement.

this is what the steelers get for neglecting the D-line so long. it's the same problem the O-line is suffering from also. the can't expect old men and hand-me-down players to fix the problem.

now will the steelers go after WRs, TEs, QBs and RBs next year again? this is why i did not like the mendenhall pick. he didn't fill a need. going BPA isn't always the best option.

in 2009 the steelers need to pick OL and DL all draft day.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Steeldude, I dont think Huntley was gonna make the team, but it says what we all know....Kirschke and Eason are not depth. Keisel is also a disappointment.

I'm with you, while Sweed was a value, they needed to address both lines and could have done so with Kendall Langford, or Dre Moore and Anthony Collins instead of Sweed and Davis

Sharkissle29
08-18-2008, 12:44 AM
quit crying and let the season play out

paw-n-maul-u
08-18-2008, 01:01 AM
cool, you read any about any of them? I've been keeping up with a lot of the info on a pretty good amount of 3-4 DE's that were possibly available to us (some are in a 4-3 now as DT's) ... BUT, I'm not sure we would have seen anything this year from any of the above mentioned names. This just was not a good year for those kind of players.

as well as O-lineman. The pick just didnt fit the scenario. They aren't going to reach for duane brown when they can get an obvious steal of a #1 WR in sweed

in two years when we have decent young players at O and D-line ... and also one decent FA acquisition, ... and ALSO a ridiculous set of WR's and RB's to boot, it'll be nice

Steel Pit
08-18-2008, 01:32 AM
I've been saying since last season that the Steelers defensive linemen, including the starters, SUCK! After watching the last pre-season game the starting defensive linemen look old, slow and WEAK!

I even took the time to isolate my vision on Aaron Smith, seeing that so many forum members told me last season that I was full of :poop: for criticizing the play of "The Great" Aaron Smith.

So anyway, Aaron Smith attempted to penetrate the backfield nearly 90% of the plays that he was involved in, he was merely a pass rusher and I might add, a very ineffective pass rusher. I was disappointed but not suprised to see that Smith's duties did not include occupying 2 blockers or covering a certain zone. I mean, SO MANY of you forum members have schooled me on the many duties that are bestowed upon Aaron Smith and that he's quite simply one of the best in the business, LMAO. It appeared as though the Bills used a zone blocking scheme. Aaron Smith had neither the speed or strength to get around the right tackle or right guard. He basically played patty cakes with the offensive linemen that he encountered.

To those of you who criticized my assesment of the defense linemen last season, I say this, "Tell me again how great Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton are because I KEEP FORGETTING! The Steelers front office and the coaching staff realize that the defensive line AS A WHOLE, receives a below average grade. The Steelers current group of defensive linemen will make it very painful to watch the Steelers defense on a weekly basis.

BRAVO to the Steelers on the Roye signing. I would suggest that the Steelers promote Nick Eason to a starting DE position. At least he appears to be a living human being when he's on the field as opposed to the "starting stiffs" that I saw last week.

Steel Pit
08-18-2008, 01:38 AM
I don't know that they necessarily signed him for "depth". It wouldn't suprise me if the coaching staff is looking for a couple of starting defensive linemen.

A lot of you are slamming the 2nd string defensive linemen as if they're the problem. I don't know what game you watched but it was the STARTERS that really stunk up the joint. Eason, Hoke and Kirschke didn't play bad at all.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-18-2008, 03:11 AM
Steelers add defensive tackle Roye
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 18, 2008

The Steelers signed veteran defensive lineman Orpheus Roye to a one-year contract Sunday, and he suited up for the team's final practice of training camp. Taken by the Steelers in the sixth round of the 1996 draft, Roye spent four seasons in Pittsburgh before leaving for Cleveland.

Linebackers Keyaron Fox (back) and Mike Humpal (stinger) did not practice Sunday. Tight end Cody Boyd (shoulder), defensive tackle Scott Paxson (stinger) and free safety Ryan Mundy (ankle) also missed the Steelers' final practice at St. Vincent. Mundy, a Woodland Hills High graduate, did some light running yesterday. Fullback Carey Davis couldn't finish practice because of stomach flu, coach Mike Tomlin said.

Cornerback Deshea Townsend played safety for the second consecutive day, but Tomlin said the Steelers just wanted to get the veteran some work at the position.

Veteran punters Mitch Berger and Paul Ernster are competing to replace Daniel Sepulveda, who was lost for the season with a torn ACL in his right knee. The significance of that for Jeff Reed is whoever wins the punting job will also hold for his field goal and extra point attempts. Reed is working with Berger and Ernster, but he said he probably won't get enough repetitions with either one of them to feel comfortable with whoever is tabbed to punt for the Steelers this season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digits

9 -- Orpheus Roye's sack total with the Steelers from 1996-99.
9.5 -- Sacks registered by Roye with Cleveland (2000-07).

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_583498.html

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-18-2008, 03:19 AM
Steelers Notebook: Old familiar face joins defense
Monday, August 18, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Defensive end Orpheus Roye listens to defensive line coach John Mitchell yesterday at the final practice at Saint Vincent College. The Steelers signed Roye, a former player for the team, as a defensive end.Mike Tomlin said before the draft that his team needed to get younger and bigger on both lines.

Instead, the Steelers are getting older.

The Steelers, with five of their top six defensive linemen 30 or older by the start of the season, added 35-year-old end Orpheus Roye to their collection of graybeards yesterday.

Roye, drafted by the Steelers in 1996, left them to sign with the expansion Cleveland Browns in 2000 as a restricted free agent. He spent the past eight seasons with the Browns, who released him in February to save his $3 million salary and $1.5 million in roster bonuses.

When Roye left the Steelers, Aaron Smith replaced him at left end in 2000 and remains there.

Tomlin called Roye "a veteran defensive lineman, a guy who knows how to play the game, a professional."

"We're able to put him in the mix due to the [knee] injury of Kyle Clement. We'll see what he's capable of doing. He had a very solid workout. He appears to be in pretty good shape. We'll continue over the next couple weeks and see if he can find a seat on the bus, if you will."

Roye will work in with two other veteran defensive ends, Travis Kirschke, 34 before the season starts, and Nick Eason, 29, and a former Browns teammate of Roye's. His signing may signal the disappointment in younger ends such as Ryan McBean and undrafted rookies Martavius Prince and Jordan Reffett.

Roye said he's fully recovered from what he termed clean-up surgery on his knee.

"I know I can help," Roye said. "I've been around for a while. I was used to this defense. I think I can contribute."

No decision
Quarterback Charlie Batch returned to the sideline with his right arm in a sling, the result of surgery to repair his broken clavicle. Although he could be healthy in five weeks, Tomlin would not commit to holding a roster spot for him.

"We'll make that decision when we have to," Tomlin said. "Right now we're just evaluating this thing day to day. There are so many things that can happen between now and when we have to make that roster cut that it's a pure waste of time to speculate on those at this point. People could get hurt, so forth and so on."

The Steelers must cut to 75 Aug. 26 and to 53 Aug. 30.

Not worried
Tight end Heath Miller might feel like the forgotten receiver if he did not know better. Twelve Steelers have caught a pass in two exhibition games, but no pass has gone his way.

"I've been out on some routes," Miller said. "As always, the coverage kind of dictates where the ball goes. It's not like I've taken a lot of snaps so far, so I'm not really concerned about it."

Miller caught 47 passes last season, the most in his three-year career, and has 120 total. Adding rookie wide receiver Limas Sweed, wide receiver Santonio Holmes' continued development and perhaps a better pass-catching third-down back could cut into Miller's numbers.

He sounded unconcerned if it did.

"I think offensively we have a lot of weapons," Miller said. "That's definitely a good thing. If we use everybody and spread the ball around, we'll be that much tougher to defend and that's definitely our goal as an offense."

Breaking camp
The Steelers held their final camp practice at Saint Vincent yesterday afternoon. They have off today and resume practices at their UPMC facility on the South Side tomorrow.

Tomlin called the three weeks in Latrobe "a very productive camp" and "we're looking forward to putting this phase of our team-building behind us."

Quick hits
Rookie safety Ryan Mundy came out of the boot that protected his high ankle sprain and ran yesterday. "We'll continue to crawl him back," Tomlin said. ... Fullback Corey Davis became ill and could not finish practice. ... Deshea Townsend took some snaps at safety but remains the starting corner
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08231/905178-66.stm

redst3
08-18-2008, 03:26 AM
:applaudit:

I love old wedge buster. Big #71...what a way to start my morning

Galax Steeler
08-18-2008, 03:28 AM
I say welcome Roye to the black and gold lets see what he has it couldn't hurt to throw him in there.

Galax Steeler
08-18-2008, 03:35 AM
Townsend playing safety I wonder what Tomlin has up his sleeve there.:noidea:

xfl2001fan
08-18-2008, 05:45 AM
Orpheus Roye? That one surprises me because he was having some health issues (and isn't exactly young anymore.) He was solid while with us...and for a while there, our best lineman (on both sides of the ball.)

stlrtruck
08-18-2008, 08:29 AM
Maybe it's just that players don't like to play in Cleveland? Seems like when they come out of there their careers change for the better. But maybe that's just me.

lilyoder6
08-18-2008, 08:38 AM
i think its a nice addition to the d-line.. he was a good payer and could help us out

Alva Lord
08-18-2008, 12:37 PM
He's 35 years old. Why not go and sign Kemo VonOelhoffen again? The fact is they're not happy going into the season with the young guys they've got. McBean has been a bit of a disappointment and they can't trust him to play up to expectations if they called on him.

Dino 6 Rings
08-18-2008, 12:58 PM
well...anything is an upgrade over a booger or dookie...

Orpheus is a pretty cool name too.

Steely McSmash
08-18-2008, 01:33 PM
One thing people seem to forget about last year in discussing the drop-off afer Smith went down is that the strength of schedule was very much back weighted towards the end of the season. Who's the best team we actually beat last year? Browns?

Nonetheless it's a good pickup in my opinion. Roye should be a huge upgrade at backup DE. Possibly also in some of the 4 big guy packages. (he was playing 4-3 DT right?)

Edman
08-18-2008, 01:33 PM
The Steelers do need to get younger on the D-Line, but you gotta take what you get.

Right now Roye is all we have, and we better hope that the O-Line can just play decently for us to have a shot. Because right now I feel this defense will have a hard time stopping anyone with these old guys. Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor gotta be licking their chops for Saturday.

I can only hope these guys find Farrior's fountain of youth this year.

HometownGal
08-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Orph can be quite the mentor for the young guys as was noted above. I really don't see him playing all that much but when he does, I'm sure he'll give it all he's got.

The Steelers have to first decontaminate him considering where he's coming from. :poop:

Stlrs4Life
08-18-2008, 03:38 PM
It's almost like we are desperate. This isn't the Salvation Army.

BlastFurnace
08-18-2008, 03:46 PM
It's almost like we are desperate. This isn't the Salvation Army.

I didn't take this move that way. They brought him in for a workout and he did very well. He's a proven 3-4 lineman that can still play. Tomlin has always said that he is always looking to improve the roster. If Orpheus does nothing but come in and give Smith and Keisel a breather....while maintaining a solid performance level, this pickup will have done it's job.

Alva Lord
08-18-2008, 03:55 PM
The Steelers are desperately looking for someone to replace Nick, the speed bump, Eason. Roye is an upgrade, but at 35 years of age and with faltering knees I'm not sure how much he'll contribute, if at all.

Steeldude
08-18-2008, 04:52 PM
The Steelers are desperately looking for someone to replace Nick, the speed bump, Eason

they need to find a replacement for keisel.

Steeldude
08-18-2008, 04:53 PM
the steelers need a D-line similar to buckner/steed/seals again. that's not happening anytime soon.

Busforever
08-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Look for the Steelers to draft two defensive linemen in the first 3 rounds of the next draft. They recently did it for WR and LB. The good of this strategy is that you can quickly be surrounded by talent on one area, and you doesn't have to really invest anymore until many years.
The bad is that you can't heal all of your weaknesses in one year. You have to hope that your veterans can assume the job one or two more year. But Big Snack made Tomlin doubt, and we don't know yet if Aaron Smith will be the same guy (hope so, but...). And when you realize things aren't turning right, you are forced to sign an old guy, hoping for the short term solution, until you draft a bunch of good guys to replace the old ones.

Not taking care of his body, Hampton didn't take care of his team. Tomlin knew that the team had depth problem with D-end, and probably decided to just deal with that, concidering his draft strategy. But with Hampton out of shape there's a problem, because Tomlin can't include Hoke in the rotation with the D-end, because he has to keep him as a full substitute for Big Snack. You know, just in case that Hampton will be out of shape DURING the season...

revefsreleets
08-18-2008, 05:23 PM
(Sigh)

I really can't take it. It's not even the third preseason game, and the negativity is stifling.

I'm gonna go watch the Browns in their stupid Brown pants...makes a lot more sense than 3/4's of the ridiculous stuff I'm reading here...

X-Terminator
08-18-2008, 06:14 PM
(Sigh)

I really can't take it. It's not even the third preseason game, and the negativity is stifling.

I'm gonna go watch the Browns in their stupid Brown pants...makes a lot more sense than 3/4's of the ridiculous stuff I'm reading here...

You're really expecting anything different out of your average Steelers fan? Negativity is all they know. It is absolutely amazing how much emphasis they put on games that shouldn't mean any more than hoping that there are no injuries to any key players. And if you try to be positive, you're put down and accused of "drinking the Kool-Aid." I don't even bother - let them soak in their negativity.

tony hipchest
08-18-2008, 06:24 PM
well i hope Orfice Roye is something to be "positive" about.

lilyoder6
08-18-2008, 06:37 PM
but it is fun sometimes to read all the stuff about how badlyh players how on the team after a series or 2..

steeltheone
08-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't know that they necessarily signed him for "depth". It wouldn't suprise me if the coaching staff is looking for a couple of starting defensive linemen.

Depth only...A 35 year old is not a every down player.....

Steel Pit
08-19-2008, 04:28 AM
Now, now, NOW! Lets all have a positive attitude. After all, we're watching meaningless pre-season games. We know that the Steelers defensive line will crank it up when the season begins. I wish that I could believe that but I don't.

The problems with the Steelers run defense, or lack thereof, in particular by way of the defensive linemen, began near the end of last season. This porous run defense is not the product of players being unmotivated due to the games being meaningless, this is a developing trend brought on by older, slower, and uninspired football players.

I mean, not one of the Steelers current crop of defensive linemen were ever "Great". Even when they were in their prime none of them were great so I guess that I should have expected that even a slight decline in their performance level would make them appear to be a below average to average football player. And I must say, that is exactly what the defensive line appears to be.

I still have high hopes for this team, I'll still cheer on the defensive linemen as no one else will. But I also accept the fact that this group of defensive linemen just aren't very good at all. I'm not going to try to fool myself or anyone else into believing that these guys are just taking it easy for now and they'll really crank it up in the regular season. This upcoming season, I foresee 5 or 6 teams running at will versus the Steelers, much the same as the Jets did last season.

DACEB
08-19-2008, 07:04 AM
I still have high hopes for this team, But I also accept the fact that this group of defensive linemen just aren't very good at all. I foresee 5 or 6 teams running at will versus the Steelers.

:doh:

SteelMember
08-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Finding quality NFL players via unsigned FA's is like finding a needle in a haystack. That being said, at least they realize their is a need at this position and they are willing to look at any possible player who can provide any help at all. Even if they can't pass a physical...like Huntley.

Being out of the area, I have the unfortunate pleasure of having to watch Atl. They have a 2nd year DE - a 1st rd 8th overall pick in J.Anderson. That guy gets constantly worked and at this point hasn't played anything close to his expectations. So I guess the point of this example is that there are no guarantees for draft picks, even high 1st rounders. So although we had a need at the position, and didn't address it throught he draft, would anyone have been anymore or less disappointed if we did draft someone and then they turned out to be a bust?:noidea:

Whatever help Roye can provide will be a positive. Even if it is just going in to spell the starters or come in on 3rd down passing situations.
At this point, I'm glad to see they are looking to improve and giving some guys a look.

BurghZ0n3
08-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Is it a mind blowing if...Carnell Lake would ever come back?

Alva Lord
08-19-2008, 11:49 AM
they need to find a replacement for keisel.
Eventually, but Keisel is not the problem or liability that Eason is; not even close. Eason was signed to a one year deal after the draft because they weren't able to draft his replacement.

fansince'76
08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
The Steelers defense has allowed an alarming 494 yards rushing in the past three games after having gone 34 games in a row without allowing a 100-yard rusher and allowing one in 59 games, dating to the 2004 season.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01052008/sports/trouble_at_home_734031.htm

So, which is the real trend - 3 supbar games for the run D (due mostly to injuries), or allowing one 100-yard rusher in 59 games? But whatever, this defense sucks, has always sucked, and will continue to suck.

Lord Stiller
08-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Eventually, but Keisel is not the problem or liability that Eason is; not even close. Eason was signed to a one year deal after the draft because they weren't able to draft his replacement.

Yeah but Eason is a backup. Keisel is starting

We need a better starter

SteelMember
08-19-2008, 01:34 PM
The unfortnate fact is that the Steelers havent addressed D-line in years with guys other than Orien Harris, Shaun Nua, Nathanial Adibi, McBean, etc.

I believe this just supports my point. Just beacuse you address a position in the draft dosen't mean they'll be any good as a pro. Your namesake should tell you that.

steelwall
08-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Put Woodly in a DE, Timmons takes the outside linbacker spot.......hmmm could be interesting.

jjpro11
08-19-2008, 02:06 PM
i thought for sure the booger would be a steeler by now. he still must not be healthy.

OneForTheToe
08-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Put Woodly in a DE, Timmons takes the outside linbacker spot.......hmmm could be interesting.

Only if Woodley went on the Casey Hampton summer buffett tour.

BlastFurnace
08-19-2008, 02:24 PM

Woodley would get eaten alive as a 3-4 DE.

The Duke
08-19-2008, 03:01 PM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01052008/sports/trouble_at_home_734031.htm

So, which is the real trend - 3 supbar games for the run D (due mostly to injuries), or allowing one 100-yard rusher in 59 games? But whatever, this defense sucks, has always sucked, and will continue to suck.

come on, it's obvious the trend is 3 bad games. and it's going to continue. our DE's suck, the DT is a fat ass, the secondary blows.

they all suck!! :chuckle:

damn you willie!! :rolleyes:

HometownGal
08-19-2008, 03:13 PM
come on, it's obvious the trend is 3 bad games. and it's going to continue. our DE's suck, the DT is a fat ass, the secondary blows.

they all suck!! :chuckle:

damn you willie!! :rolleyes:

They all suuuuuuuck. Every bloody last one of 'em, including Tomlin, Arians and Papa Lebeau. I say send 'em all packing. :chuckle:

Don't forget Mahan. He suuuuuucks too. :laughing:

KeiselPower99
08-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Having roye back is great depth.

St33lersguy
08-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Bout time the Steelers got as Defensive lineman. The question now is why did it take them to August, halfway through the frickin preseason

lilyoder6
08-19-2008, 08:02 PM
true that.. things happen it weird ways... but hopefully he can get some time in against the vikings

Brandon
08-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Bout time the Steelers got as Defensive lineman. The question now is why did it take them to August, halfway through the frickin preseason

Now what happens after the season? When all these guys are a year older? We have no replacements for the future on this roster as it stands right now. I can see the 09 draft being OL/DL heavy for us.

Steel Pit
08-20-2008, 12:10 AM
:doh:

:rocket::ak47::chair::bash::headbutt:

tony hipchest
08-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Now what happens after the season? When all these guys are a year older? We have no replacements for the future on this roster as it stands right now. I can see the 09 draft being OL/DL heavy for us.WARNING: post laced w/ sarcasm-

why draft a bunch of OL/DL (who may or may not pan out on a professional level) when we can easilly trade santonio holmes for a proven person at that position and make up for past mistakes?

plus, the steelers save on paying him what hes worth on the open market or in a contract year :thumbsup:

while i dont prefer this scenario, there are options and the world will not end...

Steel Pit
08-20-2008, 04:06 AM
WARNING: post laced w/ sarcasm-

why draft a bunch of OL/DL (who may or may not pan out on a professional level) when we can easilly trade santonio holmes for a proven person at that position and make up for past mistakes?

plus, the steelers save on paying him what hes worth on the open market or in a contract year :thumbsup:

while i dont prefer this scenario, there are options and the world will not end...

I say do whatever it takes. The Steelers are certainly deeper and more talented at the WR position as opposed to the defensive line. Besides, if they do trade Holmes, I don't forsee the Steelers having any problems finding a replacement WR in the draft. They do seem to have moderate success when it comes to drafting WR's.

DACEB
08-20-2008, 06:30 AM
:rocket::ak47::chair::bash::headbutt:

Ouch!! I knew I was going to pay for that! lol!

SteelMember
08-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Maybe he'll go old school and play both sides. That should solve everything.:thumbsup::wink02:

stlrtruck
08-20-2008, 08:23 AM
With todays salaries in the NFL it is becoming increasingly difficult to have solid depth at more than a few positions.

So let's see
QB - decent backup
RB - solid
WR - solid til about the 5th position
OL - crap
TE - ok
DL - crap
LB - solid
DB - average

That's my outlook on our backups for the team. With that in mind let's see where the money is tied up...Ward, Ben, Parker, Troy. We can't pay everybody and for those players seeking a higher paycheck (ala Faneca, Porter, Randle El), we can't hold on to them.

Signing a player like Roye who has been through the system, is a bonus for the team. He's going to push the first stringers to be better and who knows, he's most likely going to push for some playing time in certain situations.

Steel Pit
08-21-2008, 02:06 AM
Ouch!! I knew I was going to pay for that! lol!

:drink::football::cheers: