PDA

View Full Version : Johnson knocked out of preseason game after hurting left shoulder

nojobny
08-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Johnson knocked out of preseason game after hurting left shoulder

Associated Press
Updated: August 17, 2008, 8:59 PM ET

CINCINNATI -- Bengals receiver Chad Johnson landed awkwardly while trying to make a catch in the first quarter against Detroit on Sunday night, then left the game to have his left shoulder examined.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/65x90/5483.jpg
Johnson

Cornerback Brian Kelly hit Johnson as he tried to pull in a pass from Carson Palmer on the Bengals' first series, jarring the ball loose. Kelly came up with the interception and an off-balance Johnson landed on his left side.

The Pro Bowl receiver rolled around on the field in pain for several seconds, then got up and went to the sideline. Trainers examined the shoulder on the field before Johnson went to the locker room for further examination and treatment. He was ruled out for the rest of the game.

The Bengals already were without Pro Bowl receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, missing his second preseason game with a sore hamstring.

The Bengals don't have much experience at receiver behind Johnson and Houshmandzadeh. Rookie Marcus Maxwell started Sunday in Houshmandzadeh's spot. The Bengals released No. 3 receiver Chris Henry after his latest arrest in the offseason.

Johnson had lobbied for an offseason trade, but the Bengals refused. He abandoned his threat to sit out the season and reported to training camp on time, but wasn't able to participate in practice initially because he was still recovering from surgery to remove bone spurs from his right ankle. He looked close to full speed in practice last week.

Missing Johnson would be a huge setback to the Bengals, who also played without starting running back Rudi Johnson on Sunday. Rudi Johnson was slowed by a hamstring injuries last season and has missed the first two preseason games with a sore hamstring.

Chris Perry started at tailback for the Bengals.

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3540023&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

43Hitman
08-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Yeah I saw the injury. It didn't look good for ole' ocho cinko.

tony hipchest
08-17-2008, 08:48 PM
thats what the dumbass gets for focussing on swimming as opposed to football.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Oh well, I'm not gonna shed a tear for el jackass.

43Hitman
08-17-2008, 08:59 PM
You know their crapping themselves in Cincy right now.

TommyG
08-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Hopefully he is healthy before we play them....Don't want any excuses when we whip their ass.

Steelman16
08-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Now he can go attend to matters in court for changing his name to Ocho Stinko! :toofunny:

stillers4me
08-17-2008, 09:46 PM

Well dang. I'm in Pee-ay for a couple of days so I'm missing the hissy fits!

Maybe he's faking it like he did in Buffalo last season.

CantStop85
08-17-2008, 09:48 PM

OH NOESZZ!! I hope he doesn't miss the next preseason game! :willy:

43Hitman
08-17-2008, 09:59 PM
OH NOESZZ!! I hope he doesn't miss the next preseason game! :willy:

Not claiming to be an expert but it looked like a separated shoulder. The announcer thought so too.

rbryan
08-17-2008, 10:28 PM
I hope he gets well soon so he can focus on that big swim meet with Phelps. How much you want to bet he can't even swim.....Ocho sinko.

I'm going to go ahead and pencil the Bunglers in for last place now. I know it's early, but I want to avoid the rush.

CantStop85
08-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Not claiming to be an expert but it looked like a separated shoulder. The announcer thought so too.

Just a strained shoulder...popped out of place and right back in. He might miss the rest of the preseason games but will probably be back in time for the opener.

Many more concerning injuries than Chad's for the Bengals.

Banged-up Bengals lose Johnson as Lions frustrate Palmer

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Pro Bowl receiver Chad Johnson strained his left shoulder Sunday night during the Detroit Lions' 27-10 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals, who now have their top two receivers and their starting tailback limited by injuries.

Johnson landed awkwardly on his left side after cornerback Brian Kelly intercepted a pass thrown his way on Cincinnati's first series. Johnson rolled on the field in pain for several seconds, then went to the locker room for an examination. He did not return.

Coach Marvin Lewis said the shoulder popped out and back into place on the field. Medical tests found no fracture.

"I think he should be ready by the opener," Lewis said. "Some of these things come back right away, and they're ready to go."

The Bengals already were missing Pro Bowl receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh and running back Rudi Johnson. Both of them have missed the first two preseason games with hamstring injuries.

Detroit got the better of it in the first quarter, when both teams played their starters.

Jon Kitna had a perfect passer rating of 158.3 for the second straight game. Playing in the stadium where he started the Bengals' resurgence in 2003, Kitna was much better than Carson Palmer, the No. 1 draft pick who took his place in Cincinnati.

Right away, Kitna tested a redesigned Bengals defense that has the cornerbacks aggressively covering receivers. He threw a 40-yard pass to Calvin Johnson on the opening play, letting the receiver beat cornerback Leon Hall on a sideline route.

That drive came up short in part because of an offensive pass interference penalty on Roy Williams. The next time the Lions got the ball, Kitna threw a 27-yard touchdown pass to Johnson, who ran past cornerback Johnathan Joseph for an easy score.

Kitna completed his three passes for 76 yards and a touchdown, leaving him 9-of-10 for 146 yards with a pair of touchdowns in the preseason.

In an ominous sign for the Bengals, Palmer was repeatedly hit as he threw and got sacked once. He was only 6-of-13 for 50 yards with the one costly interception. He led Chad Johnson a bit too much, giving Kelly a chance to knock the ball free and grab it in the air.

Palmer played until the middle of the second quarter, trying to get the offense moving. In his two preseason games, Palmer is 11-of-22 for 83 yards with a touchdown and an interception.

Both teams failed on field goal attempts. Cincinnati's Shayne Graham had a 46-yard try blocked by Dewayne White, but later made one from 50 yards away. Detroit's Dave Rayner was wide left on a 47-yard attempt, then later connected from 48 and 23 yards. Rayner replaced Jason Hanson, who strained his thigh in the preseason opener.

Third-string quarterback Drew Stanton threw a 50-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Middleton and also ran 10 yards for a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Bengals defensive tackle Pat Sims, a third-round pick, was taken off the field on a cart after hurting his right foot in the fourth quarter.

revefsreleets
08-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Apparently one "Can Stop 85".

Of course, Ike does it twice a year (sometimes thrice) like clockwork.

Get well soon, Chad! Wouldn't be a Steelers/Bungals contest without you mouthing off for a week and then "tearing it up" with 3 catches for 17 yards:tt02:

millwalldavey
08-18-2008, 09:40 AM
At least now he has an excuse when he loses to Phelps!

HometownGal
08-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Just a strained shoulder...popped out of place and right back in. He might miss the rest of the preseason games but will probably be back in time for the opener.

He's obviously had a strained head for quite a while. Pops out of place and right back in. Kind of like his toof. :chuckle:

I want that striped douchebag healthy when he plays the Steelers, so he can't make any excuses for his usual dropsies and inability to get open when he plays us. :tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-18-2008, 10:17 AM
He's obviously had a strained head for quite a while. Pops out of place and right back in. Kind of like his toof. :chuckle:

Your shoulder would hurt too...if you stuck your head up your ass several times a day.:noidea:

HometownGal
08-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Your shoulder would hurt too...if you stuck your head up your ass several times a day.:noidea:

His head and ass are one in the same. Shit spews on a regular basis from that orifice he calls a mouf. :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-18-2008, 10:39 AM
His head and ass are one in the same. Shit spews on a regular basis from that orifice he calls a mouf. :chuckle:

Whoa!!!! Does that means our secondary knocked his golden hemorrhoids out????...EWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

43Hitman
08-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Good thing it won't keep him out to long. Cause we want your team at 100%.

lilyoder6
08-18-2008, 06:42 PM
as a ff league owner and having CJ on my roster i hope he is rdy by season-opeaner so he can score me some points...

43Hitman
08-18-2008, 07:37 PM
as a ff league owner and having CJ on my roster i hope he is rdy by season-opeaner so he can score me some points...

Bench him when he plays us. Cause Ike will shut him down again.