PDA

View Full Version : Townsend takes some snaps at Safety

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2008, 10:07 AM
In the PG article it said that Deshea Townsend took some snaps at safety, but remains with the first team as a corner.

Deshea Townsend took some snaps at safety but remains the starting corner.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08231/905178-66.stm

Interesting.....we could concievably see him play some safety as a backup to Clark. I would love if they kept Mundy and were able to use Townsend as an option instead of Carter.

Also, could see Townsend move over to Safety next year if McFadden is signed to start on the corner next season. Coach T and his position flexibility eh?

DACEB
08-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Interesting.....we could concievably see him play some safety as a backup to Clark. I would love if they kept Mundy and were able to use Townsend as an option instead of Carter.

Agree completely, ever since the Jags playoff loss Carter's been on my shitlist.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Agree completely, ever since the Jags playoff loss Carter's been on my shitlist.

Single-handedly accounted for the Jaqs driving down the field on us......really ticked me off, since he looked so good in the playoff games two years before.

SteelMember
08-18-2008, 11:00 AM
For a guy that is getting "older" and a bit "soft" because he's usually touching a player down with a pat on their backside, he sure seems to giving the coaches plenty of reason to value him. Bmac thought he might have it easy supplanting Deshea, but he is still the starter. He has even taken some reps at Ike's side and now free safety(not Carters SS position). Sounds like a very "smart" player willing to do whatever necessary to help the team. He will not go quietly....:thumbsup:

Lord Stiller
08-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Single-handedly accounted for the Jaqs driving down the field on us......really ticked me off, since he looked so good in the playoff games two years before.

yep

and he also missed an easy tackle on Jones-Drew's swing pass for a TD

Dino 6 Rings
08-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Anything that helps depth I'm in favor of. This is a smart move.

19ward86
08-18-2008, 11:32 AM
I just hope we resign mcfadden because we are set to lose like 13 big name players after this season including mcfadden and parker.

atlsteelers
08-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Agree, it might add some depth. Or maybe its because Clark is coming along slow recovering from his injuries. plus troy has been injured a lot lately too. Maybe the coaches feel like we would be better with macfadden playing corner and townsend at either free or strong safety than having either smith or carter on the field. seems very reasonable to me considering how carter play agianst jacksonville and smith gernerally plays.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2008, 11:40 AM
I just hope we resign mcfadden because we are set to lose like 13 big name players after this season including mcfadden and parker.

I thought that Parker is signed thru until the 2010 season??

DACEB
08-18-2008, 12:16 PM
He has even taken some reps at Ike's side and now free safety(not Carters SS position). Sounds like a very "smart" player willing to do whatever necessary to help the team. He will not go quietly....:thumbsup:

I think the jist is he provides depth at safety. Both Smith and Mundy (although very limited) saw action at SS, whether in practice or in game. That would provide the option of moving one of those guys over to SS if necessary (c'mon Troy, healthy '08) and still having more options at FS.

steelreserve
08-18-2008, 12:58 PM

I don't think we'll let Mcfadden go anywhere.

Parker, who even cares. Every time I start a new franchise in Madden, the first thing I do is trade Parker and pick up a guy with more power. That instantly improves the team 50%.

Alva Lord
08-18-2008, 04:01 PM
In the PG article it said that Deshea Townsend took some snaps at safety, but remains with the first team as a corner.

Deshea Townsend took some snaps at safety but remains the starting corner.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08231/905178-66.stm

Also, could see Townsend move over to Safety next year if McFadden is signed to start on the corner next season. Coach T and his position flexibility eh?
I'm not sure why you think McFadden will be signed when coach Tomlin said, when asked recently, that there is no competition between he and Townsend. That's not a good indication that he'll be here next season. If McFadden was good enough to consider extending then he should have beaten out Townsend for the starting spot in camp.

Also, if Townsend does move over to safety it would be as the free safety and not strong safety.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure why you think McFadden will be signed when coach Tomlin said, when asked recently, that there is no competition between he and Townsend. That's not a good indication that he'll be here next season. If McFadden was good enough to consider extending then he should have beaten out Townsend for the starting spot in camp.

Also, if Townsend does move over to safety it would be as the free safety and not strong safety.

I think they might try to sign McFadden if they think he is good enough to start. Just because Townsend is playing well doesnt exactly mean McFadden isnt any good.

But, lets think ahead to next season and say they dont sign McFadden. Taylor is at one corner, Townsend will be 34 which is pretty old for a CB. Considering the only CB drafted in the past 3 years is William Gay, I would say we are pretty thin at CB with Ike and a 34 year old vet.

Funny how many on this board thought our priorities in the draft should be O line, D-Line, CB and none of them were addressed. Now in 09 the draft needs will be OT, C, DE, CB and ????? What a bunch of silly armchair GM's :banging:

So if Townsend does move over he can play FS and compete with Clark, while Smith can play a more aggressive position as SS or let walk when his contract expires.

revefsreleets
08-18-2008, 05:25 PM
If only we'd have drafted OL and DL with our lat 14 picks, we'd be in the Super Bowl for sure.

Really...I gotta get outta here. There are IQ points being sucked out of my head just by reading this junk...

Steely McSmash
08-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Moving Deshea to free safety could be a very good move since he's an intelligent and capable vet, sure tackler. Similar to Rod Woodson.

I think there is less athletecism needed at FS compared to CB so he could stay there for years and McFadden could be playing a more athletic corner role.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2008, 07:59 PM
If only we'd have drafted OL and DL with our lat 14 picks, we'd be in the Super Bowl for sure.

Really...I gotta get outta here. There are IQ points being sucked out of my head just by reading this junk...

Glad you know when to hold em and when to fold em. We wouldnt want to lower your IQ with our ........junk.

The unfortnate fact is that the Steelers havent addressed D-line in years with guys other than Orien Harris, Shaun Nua, Nathanial Adibi, McBean, etc.

CB, they at least have cultivated talent thru the draft in Taylor, McFadden and hopefully Gay. If McFadden leaves and the only depth is Gay, then they probably need to go the Free Agency route. Townsend at 34 is younger than me, but getting old for a NFL CB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Moving Deshea to free safety could be a very good move since he's an intelligent and capable vet, sure tackler. Similar to Rod Woodson.

I think there is less athletecism needed at FS compared to CB so he could stay there for years and McFadden could be playing a more athletic corner role.

I think so too. Very much like Jason Seahorn did and some are saying Ty Law may need to do if he still wants to play in the NFL.

Possible to see Taylor and B-Mac on the corner next season with Troy and Townsend at safeties??? Maybe not probably, but definately possible.

Galax Steeler
08-19-2008, 03:38 AM
I say it would be worth the try if he could play back there and McFadden at corner next year I would like to see him resigned.

Alva Lord
08-19-2008, 12:07 PM
I think they might try to sign McFadden if they think he is good enough to start. Just because Townsend is playing well doesnt exactly mean McFadden isnt any good.

But, lets think ahead to next season and say they dont sign McFadden. Taylor is at one corner, Townsend will be 34 which is pretty old for a CB. Considering the only CB drafted in the past 3 years is William Gay, I would say we are pretty thin at CB with Ike and a 34 year old vet.

Funny how many on this board thought our priorities in the draft should be O line, D-Line, CB and none of them were addressed. Now in 09 the draft needs will be OT, C, DE, CB and ????? What a bunch of silly armchair GM's :banging:

So if Townsend does move over he can play FS and compete with Clark, while Smith can play a more aggressive position as SS or let walk when his contract expires.
You better add NT in the mix. Casey showing up to camp grossly over weight and out of shape was alarming in more ways than one.

Alva Lord
08-19-2008, 12:09 PM
As for McFadden, it's a contract year for him so he better step up to the plate and live up to expectations if he hopes to get a phat pay day next off season.

stlrtruck
08-19-2008, 12:59 PM
I don't think we'll let Mcfadden go anywhere.

Parker, who even cares. Every time I start a new franchise in Madden, the first thing I do is trade Parker and pick up a guy with more power. That instantly improves the team 50%.

Yeah but there's a difference between Game Day in Madden and Game Day in the NFL. I've seen it before that Madden games will deduct certain players their actual performance. Why? I think Madden has vendetta's against certain players and teams while he's knob slobbing others (like the cowboys).