PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Back-Up QB

Livinginthe past
11-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Out of the QB's that are available or that may become available by the seasons end - who do you think the Steelers should go for?

The only limit im going to put on this is that they have to be a real prospect of being a back-up or worse next year - no QB's who are likely to start in 2006.

Cheers

NM

clevestinks
11-22-2005, 06:46 PM
1 st team BiG Ben
2 nd team Charlie Batch
3rd team Mike Robinson

A starter, a veteran back up, and a young stud that wont cost much

Koopa
11-22-2005, 07:00 PM
i say we go after bradey, after this season it's all downhill lol.............i don't care who is our back up just as long as i never have to see maddox in any uniform period

geran42o
11-22-2005, 07:17 PM
We never should have left St Pierre go, He's difinately a quality back-up

rowedf
11-22-2005, 07:22 PM
What are you guys thoughts on Robinson.....that kid is a major athlete, just not sure about his NFL QB potential.

SteelrsRck
11-22-2005, 07:28 PM

are you serious............pierre was way worse than maddox

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2005, 07:33 PM
BSP showed flashes of good things in his playing time. Even in pre season maddox was bad.. atleast BSP played well like Batch did.

I'd take BSP back too as long as Batch remains with us.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-22-2005, 07:51 PM
I would imagine the steelers will pick up a QB late in the draft, I would love to pick up matt schaub from the falcons
other possible are:
K. Dorsey
c. Simms
B Bollinger

RoethlisBURGHer
11-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Batch as #2,no clue who #3 is...and Maddox in a Ravens uni,lol.

Livinginthe past
11-23-2005, 02:01 PM
I dont think that Matt Schaub will be a back up next year - he has shown enough this year to be a starter for a number of teams - especially the ones I listed in my first post.

Koopa - I dont think it would be such a good idea to have a back-up QB that is so much better than your starter - that can cause all sorts of friction in the locker room!

NM

Grey
11-23-2005, 02:35 PM
1 st team BiG Ben
2 nd team Charlie Batch
3rd team Mike Robinson

A starter, a veteran back up, and a young stud that wont cost much

I don't think Robinson will be playing quarterback in the NFL, but someone will take him and move him to receiver. He's obviously got great athletic talent, and I think he might make a great NFL receiver, but allowing him to be a quartetrbzck would be the same mistake as the Kordell Stewart mess.

Here we go.
Grey

Koopa
11-23-2005, 02:43 PM
I dont think that Matt Schaub will be a back up next year - he has shown enough this year to be a starter for a number of teams - especially the ones I listed in my first post.

Koopa - I dont think it would be such a good idea to have a back-up QB that is so much better than your starter - that can cause all sorts of friction in the locker room!

NM

lol, yeah i know, that's why i want him on the bench cause a sixth round draft pick and that some said drew henson was better then shouldn't be allowed to be so damn good.

i've always wonder though, is he nothing more then a product of a system? or do you think he can go to lets say the cardnials and still lead them to atleast the playoffs????????

SalukiSteelers
11-23-2005, 04:08 PM
You're definately right that Schaub is a starter somewhere. I don't know who the 'Burgh should get as a backup but there has to be some addition by subtraction. Cut Maddox as soon as the season is over.
Oh yeah, livinginthepast, just wait, buddy. Your beloved Pats will start stinking again. It's the way it works. How long have you liked the Patriots, buddy? Big Steve Grogan fan?
I don't remember any of the Steelers Super Bowl wins so I guess I'm livingintheFUTURE.

RichmondVA
11-23-2005, 04:16 PM
lol, yeah i know, that's why i want him on the bench cause a sixth round draft pick and that some said drew henson was better then shouldn't be allowed to be so damn good.

i've always wonder though, is he nothing more then a product of a system? or do you think he can go to lets say the cardnials and still lead them to atleast the playoffs????????

See Drew Bledsoe as your answer... But to echo your point... How many games has Brady led to victory that Adam Venatieri didn't kick the game winning points because the Defense kept it close?

As far as a back-up for any team depends on your teams situation. The Steelers with a young starter in Ben, veteran (I didn't say quality) back-up in Batch or Maddox... I think you develop a young QB through the draft in stead of Free Agency.

Livinginthe past
11-23-2005, 04:23 PM

Brady certainly isnt the 'product of a system' and never has been.

In the early days a system was designed that would suit him, not the other way round, where accuracy would be at a premium and most passes would be in the short to medium range.

However since his first year, Brady has improved a great deal in terms of arm strength, making progressive reads and sensing pressure - all key traits for a winning QB.

It is certainly tough to win games without any sort of D - ask Peyton Manning who has handicapped his own team with his wage demands and his insistence on having a premier RB and 3 top-notch WR's at his disposal.

I could guarantee you that Brady would make the Cards a much better team OFFENSIVELY - but I couldnt guarantee he would make their D any better.

Im not sure any QB alive could take the Cards into the playoffs as it stands - certainly not Peyton Manning who is Brady's only challenger for Best QB - he would never survive with only 2 good receivers and an iffy O-Line with not much of a running game.

Cheers

NM

Livinginthe past
11-23-2005, 04:28 PM
You're definately right that Schaub is a starter somewhere. I don't know who the 'Burgh should get as a backup but there has to be some addition by subtraction. Cut Maddox as soon as the season is over.
Oh yeah, livinginthepast, just wait, buddy. Your beloved Pats will start stinking again. It's the way it works. How long have you liked the Patriots, buddy? Big Steve Grogan fan?
I don't remember any of the Steelers Super Bowl wins so I guess I'm livingintheFUTURE.

Let me guess - you are hinting in an oh-so-subtle fashion that I may be a bandwagon fan....yawnnnnn...cant say ive heard that one before.

Class is permanent my friend - the Steelers might not have won much in the last 30 years in terms of SB's but they have put a good competitive team out nearly every year by utilising sound management practices - management practices which the Pats have been busy emulating and IMPROVING ON in the last 5-6 years.

As long as we have Pioli, Kraft, Brady and BB together we are always going to be challenging for the big prize - dont let me ruin your wet dream though - im sure eventually we might suck again......

Cheers

NM

SalukiSteelers
11-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Let me guess - you are hinting in an oh-so-subtle fashion that I may be a bandwagon fan....yawnnnnn...cant say ive heard that one before.

Class is permanent my friend - the Steelers might not have won much in the last 30 years in terms of SB's but they have put a good competitive team out nearly every year by utilising sound management practices - management practices which the Pats have been busy emulating and IMPROVING ON in the last 5-6 years.

As long as we have Pioli, Kraft, Brady and BB together we are always going to be challenging for the big prize - dont let me ruin your wet dream though - im sure eventually we might suck again......

Cheers

NM
Yeah, I guess my subtle brand of smack was discovered. Seriously though, the Pats have done a good job of id-ing their needs and addressing without breaking the bank but eventually that goes away. The Steelers had some down years in the Eighties. Look at the Niners. Now, I know that their management has changed but the "new" NFL isn't designed to let teams win more than a couple years running.
As far as a wet dream, I don't think those have anything to do with the Patriots. Me and three of their cheeleaders? Maybe, but definately not Brady or FrankenBellichik.

Livinginthe past
11-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I guess my subtle brand of smack was discovered. Seriously though, the Pats have done a good job of id-ing their needs and addressing without breaking the bank but eventually that goes away. The Steelers had some down years in the Eighties. Look at the Niners. Now, I know that their management has changed but the "new" NFL isn't designed to let teams win more than a couple years running.
As far as a wet dream, I don't think those have anything to do with the Patriots. Me and three of their cheeleaders? Maybe, but definately not Brady or FrankenBellichik.

The only thing that has stopped the Pats from being 8-2 or better is injuries - plain and simple.

No team can afford to lose 5 DB's (including its best out on IR)both of its starting ILB and its best DL and two members of its OL for extended periods of the season and expect to be able to compete at the highest level.

The stand-in for stand-ins are trying to get it done but they just arent good enough/ or experienced enough.

This is not a sign of terminal decline - the people who made it happen for the Pats are still at the helm - they will be challengers for many years to come yet.

NM

clevestinks
11-24-2005, 09:13 PM
1st - I`ve seen plenty of smack talked on SF, from fans and so called fans, of alot of teams. Livinginthepast, is not a bandwagon fan, I will take his back here.

2nd The Pats injuries and adjusting to new o and d coordinators are probably the biggest reasons for thier decline this season.

3rd- I too like KingK, thought Brady was a system qb, but the more I watch him ,the more I am convinced I was wrong. I was guilty of always saying that the HOF was not in his future, but damn this kid is great. And very , very cool in the pocket. You have to look NO further than his games against us, to see his greatness! As soon as we think we have them beat , say third and long, bam big completion. We can hate the Pats, we can hate Brady, but we cannot deny that hje is a great qb and class act.

Stlrs4Life
11-25-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm a PSU fan, and like Michael Robinson, but do not think he will be a good QB in the pros. He is another Kordell type.

Black-n-Gold
11-25-2005, 12:50 PM

I couldnt agree more, I wish he'd get a shot as a backup. He has always proved himself as a good QB when he was used.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2005, 12:56 PM
BATCH IS BACKUP! Not Terrible Tommy.

clevestinks
11-28-2005, 07:20 PM
I think he has a stronger arm than KS!