PDA

View Full Version : Ah, the Olympics, what have we learned...

stlrtruck
08-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Ok so the Olympics aren't over yet but they're pretty darn close and I can't wait for them to be over but there are some things that we've learned (at least I have since watching them in the late night while working second shift from home).

1) There's always an athlete getting screwed on points, just ask a gymnast.

2) Pole vaulters and javelin throwers are not just from the eastern block or named Helga.

3) Pole vaulters and javelin throwers have "Potential" just ask Tony H.

4) Women's softball players are scary and some look manly.

5) Women's softball players are hot too.

6) Michael Phelps is a beast

7) Why isn't American Football an Olympic sport?

8) Women's Beach Volleyball is awesome to watch

9) Why haven't May/Walsh made a calendar - not that I'd buy one but I'm sure plenty of people would.

10) The extra inning baseball rules are interesting

11) Did I mention javelin throwers and pole vaulters

12) Are some of these "sports" really necessary

13) Why isn't water skiing a sport?

14) Men's beach volleyball isn't as exciting as women's beach volleyball

15) Who the heck decides what events are put on TV?

millwalldavey
08-20-2008, 10:54 PM
2) Pole vaulters and javelin throwers are not just from the eastern block or named Helga.

Did you see the woman from Potugal I think? WOW!

My best friend watches the US team all year for "all the wrong reasons".

I can add nothing else to this statement

My sweetie asked that this year. I guess not enough recovery time for injury. There is a world championship kinda thing... It has been won several times by Japan!

[12) Are some of these "sports" really necessary

Sure they are!

See above! You are correct!

Same people who decide anything put on TV... advertisers!

stlrtruck
08-20-2008, 11:07 PM
I just noticed that May (the beach volleyballer) looks to have a Zeppelin tattoo on her left shoulder,looks like Swan Song.

EDIT: I just learned that it's an outline of an angel with her mom's initials.

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Ok so the Olympics aren't over yet but they're pretty darn close and I can't wait for them to be over but there are some things that we've learned (at least I have since watching them in the late night while working second shift from home). i love em. with americas facination with "reality tv" and all the competition, the olympics is the ultimate.

1) There's always an athlete getting screwed on points, just ask a gymnast.
balls and strikes. hometeam always gets the home call.

.theyre hot. possibly the best build (yet most feminine women in the events (imo)

3) Pole vaulters and javelin throwers have "Potential" just ask Tony H.
i have yet to "confirm" this but im positive youre correct. :chuckle:

4) Women's softball players are scary and some look manly.
as is true with many of these female atheletes. (soccer and tennis- m. jones was beastly)

after #3 you are beginning to scare me, but yeah, there are some fine ones!

and seems to be a great (nonc0cky guy anyone can root for. please dont have any juicing concerns like lance armstrong did.

because we would trash the world

8) Women's Beach Volleyball is awesome to watch
fun to play, awesome to watch

9) Why haven't May/Walsh made a calendar - not that I'd buy one but I'm sure plenty of people would.
butterface- semimanliness, but damn are those bodies hot!

10) The extra inning baseball rules are interesting
the only thing more boring than watching mlb is olympic mlb

11) Did I mention javelin throwers and pole vaulters
:lust:i dont think you did.

12) Are some of these "sports" really necessary
they all are. just like curling in the winter games. who dont love badminton or ping pong?

give it time. skateboarding better come first though. hell bmx is now an event!

14) Men's beach volleyball isn't as exciting as women's beach volleyball
Hellll no! last thing i wanna see is some nutsack in speedos bent over anticipating the serve.

mitch gaylord and tim dagget. mark spitz and greg swallows? greg lougayness? or is it louganus?
and may i ad a few?

16) is not team rowing one of the most calming, relaxing events to watch? (i missed it this year

17) fencing is awesome with the spaceage LED beekeepper helmets and outfits.

18) is it wrong to finally admit shawn johnson (FEMALE gymnast) really is cute?

19) mens gymnastics- they blow alway the ladies on the floor. the pommelhorse(?) and iron rings are absolutely amazing.

20) how does the balance beam not kill hundereds of young girls every year?

21) diving is underrated (and fun as hell)

22) why isnt muffdiving an olympic sport?

23) i believe its always one of the last events but womens gymnastics "hoop, ribbon, and ball" is one of my favorites.

24) gail devers still has the greatest olympic ass ever.

25) that jamaican runner Bolt would look great in the black and gold for the right price. :tt02:

26) track and field is a bit more boring than the 1st weeks events which are more subjective with the judging, thus more drama.

27) nbc needs to highlight more pole vaulting and javelin throwing (people can die from that too)

28) more south american ms. universe contestants need to be olympians.

29) all of these atheletes highlight Gods finest work.

30) midget tossing in the special olympics would probably be considered politically incorrect.

31) where is Misty Hymen? :chuckle:

32) i should move to paraguay and become a guanaco rancher. oops. im thinking of patagonia. regardless, south american women are HOT!

33) misty may's dads name is Butch.

34) King Kong played ping pong, with his rubber ding dong.

Preacher
08-21-2008, 12:23 AM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=425305&postcount=28

:doh:

Hey Tony

Forget about it... It's just too much workl

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 12:28 AM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=425305&postcount=28

:doh:

Hey Tony

Forget about it... It's just too much workl
but did you read #29? :noidea:

stlrtruck
08-21-2008, 12:33 AM
and may i ad a few?

16) is not team rowing one of the most calming, relaxing events to watch? (i missed it this year No, not really but I wouldn't now I don't look for it

17) fencing is awesome with the spaceage LED beekeepper helmets and outfits.

18) is it wrong to finally admit shawn johnson (FEMALE gymnast) really is cute? sure, if you want to go to jail

19) mens gymnastics- they blow alway the ladies on the floor. the pommelhorse(?) and iron rings are absolutely amazing. now you're scaring me

20) how does the balance beam not kill hundereds of young girls every year? you just don't hear about it

21) diving is underrated (and fun as hell) probably

22) why isnt muffdiving an olympic sport? because of people like you, and how would you score that? NEVERMIND I DON'T WANT TO KNOW

23) i believe its always one of the last events but womens gymnastics "hoop, ribbon, and ball" is one of my favorites.

24) gail devers still has the greatest olympic ass ever. How you know this boggles the mind and scares me still

25) that jamaican runner Bolt would look great in the black and gold for the right price. :tt02: talk about spreading the field...do you think Ben could out throw him?

26) track and field is a bit more boring than the 1st weeks events which are more subjective with the judging, thus more drama. And they have olympic walking, why oh why

27) nbc needs to highlight more pole vaulting and javelin throwing (people can die from that too) I'm sure you are 100% worried about people dying from those two sports

28) more south american ms. universe contestants need to be olympians. Do you need some time alone?

29) all of these atheletes highlight Gods finest work. True, true

30) midget tossing in the special olympics would probably be considered politically incorrect. you're killing me

31) where is Misty Hymen? :chuckle:

32) i should move to paraguay and become a guanaco rancher. oops. im thinking of patagonia. regardless, south american women are HOT! Simmer down now, don't blow a gasket :jerkit:

33) misty may's dads name is Butch.

34) King Kong played ping pong, with his rubber ding dong.

:rofl: :rofl: :toofunny: :toofunny: :rofl: :rofl:

Preacher
08-21-2008, 12:59 AM
but did you read #29? :noidea:

Tony Tony Tony...

to what level of hell are you aiming for? :rofl:

stlrtruck
08-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Tony Tony Tony...

to what level of hell are you aiming for? :rofl:

Obviously purgatory

CantStop85
08-21-2008, 01:26 AM
I learned that Usain Bolt is a monster. This guy should definitely be getting a lot more pub than he is right now. Not only did he set the world record in both the 100 and 200...he freaking show-boated the last 20 meters of the 100. If he hadn't let up, he would've run a 9.5 or under. That's just inhuman.

As impressive as the performance by Phelps was, Bolt's should be right up there with it.

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Tony Tony Tony...

to what level of hell are you aiming for? :rofl:according to dantes inferno (whatta poem, although the rhyme scheme dont translate that well from latin to english) there are 7 levels right? i dont expect to get much futher than 2-3.

and wouldnt God be disappointed if i didnt appreciate his creations and have fun while doing it?

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-21-2008, 07:52 AM
according to dantes inferno (whatta poem, although the rhyme scheme dont translate that well from latin to english) there are 7 levels right? i dont expect to get much futher than 2-3.

and wouldnt God be disappointed if i didnt appreciate his creations and have fun while doing it?

Justification...Thy name is Hipchest...:rofl:

(Couldnt agree with you more)

Godfather
08-21-2008, 08:55 AM
according to dantes inferno (whatta poem, although the rhyme scheme dont translate that well from latin to english) there are 7 levels right? i dont expect to get much futher than 2-3.

9 levels. I think the lustful go to level 2.

Preacher
08-21-2008, 12:01 PM

Why do you think so little of yourself? :rofl:

I think you're right.

Tony...

Methinks you are referring to Romans 1-- you know God exists by the beauty of his creation... :chuckle:

xfl2001fan
08-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Methinks you are referring to Romans 1-- you know God exists by the beauty of his creation... :chuckle:

Which is really a scary piece of scripture when you consider the likes of Steve Buscemi (sp?), Peewee Herman or Michael Jackson. At least Steve is funny and a good actor.

Hines0wnz
08-21-2008, 03:16 PM
18) is it wrong to finally admit shawn johnson (FEMALE gymnast) really is cute?

Its not wrong....but I'd like to rip her floor exercise music. She had the best music of everyone.

Edman
08-21-2008, 03:18 PM
I've learned something...

Our Track and Field teams suck and Jamaica is the dominant sprint country.

OneForTheToe
08-21-2008, 03:32 PM
I've learned something...

Our Track and Field teams suck and Jamaica is the dominant sprint country.

Jamaca is definately the sprint country and the USA has had some stunning losses. However, we have swept two races and still have the most medals in Track and field. Dissapointing yes, but I would hardly say we s*ck. As with rooting for our Steelers, sometimes you just have to ackowledge that the other teams (countries) have talent as well.

Besides we still rule the beach with scantily clad female athletes. :tt03:

OneForTheToe
08-21-2008, 03:36 PM
opps double post

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Justification...Thy name is Hipchest...:rofl:

:laughing::wink02:

Why do you think so little of yourself? :sofunny:

woohoo! the lustfull level 2 it is :tt03: i should be able to purchase a ticket outta there to purgatory fairly cheaply.

:smoker:

HometownGal
08-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Misty May-Treanor a butterface? I think she's gorgeous. Hell - if I were a man (or a carpet muncher), I'd want to do her. :chuckle: :wink02:

http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/albums/userpics/10063/mistymay.jpg

Texasteel
08-21-2008, 05:23 PM

OH-OH

stlrtruck
08-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Misty May-Treanor a butterface? I think she's gorgeous. Hell - if I were a man (or a carpet muncher), I'd want to do her. :chuckle: :wink02:

http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/albums/userpics/10063/mistymay.jpg

That's great HTG...giving Tony more material. Will you ever learn?

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 07:45 PM
:jawdrop: WOW! i humbly stand corrected. ive never seen her with makeup as opposed to sweat and sand caked on her face.

34) misty may is even hotter off the court. (and has a really cute nose)

35) olympic threads have potential to be more fun than obama hater threads.

stlrtruck
08-21-2008, 09:00 PM
36) It's a good thing Tony isn't an Olympic judge (or participant for that matter).

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 09:17 PM
36) (or participant for that matter).

:scratchchin:....:idea:

id be a great shotputer. infact, i can put my "shot" anywhere within a 5 foot range (and im not talkin about cooking feet in an oven if you know what i mean...).

:chuckle:

HometownGal
08-21-2008, 09:25 PM

id be a great shotputer. infact, i can put my "shot" anywhere within a 5 foot range (and im not talkin about cooking feet in an oven if you know what i mean...).

You'd also make a good used car salesman too, Tony. :wink02::chuckle:

MACH1
08-21-2008, 09:26 PM

Hmm. The biathlon huh. A little of this :jerkit: with a little. :m16: Interesting. :chuckle:

Be careful you could shot your eye out. :chuckle:

Texasteel
08-21-2008, 09:37 PM
I think we've learned that the Doctors where not totally successful with Tony.

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Hmm. The biathlon huh. A little of this :jerkit: with a little. :m16: Interesting. :chuckle:

Be careful you could shot your eye out. :chuckle:eh, biathalon has such a negative connotation. id be much more capable of being a dickathelete (get it? decathalon - man i crack me up). 10 ladies, 10 different events of dexterity and stamina. OH YEAH!

:tt03: <<<<<(im gonna need this towel later)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we've learned that the Doctors where not totally successful with Tony.

:toofunny:

You'd also make a good used car salesman too, Tony. :wink02::chuckle:youre not comparing me to Larry from "Three's Company" are you...?

THANKS! :thumbsup:

:laughing:

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 11:02 PM
has anyone watched the 15 year old super skinny chinese highdiver girl? she couldnt make a splash if she bellyflopped.

36) chinese anorexics in diving is like throwing a chop stick into water.

OneForTheToe
08-22-2008, 03:12 AM
I learned that I will have to function on 3 hours sleep (or less) because I stayed up to watch the volleyball semis of USA men vs Russia. Ok, while I would rather watch womens beach ... this match was thrilling back and forth.

USA ..... USA

:thumbsup:

I'm too pumped to sleep.

stlrtruck
08-22-2008, 09:38 AM
has anyone watched the 15 year old super skinny chinese highdiver girl? she couldnt make a splash if she bellyflopped.

36) chinese anorexics in diving is like throwing a chop stick into water.

Isn't that the objective of diving is not to make splash?

37) After beach volleyball, there really are no good televised sports on at 2am.

MACH1
08-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Thats about the time to switch the channel to scinimax. :wink02:

TroysBadDawg
08-22-2008, 01:16 PM
You'd also make a good used car salesman too, Tony. :wink02::chuckle:

You would buy a used car from Tony ???:rofl::rofl:

stlrtruck
08-22-2008, 01:26 PM

Only because he would confuse everyone with his talk about Olympic javelin throwers, pole vaulters (his favorites), beach volley ball players, and softball players. And if that didn't get you, his talk about Chinese divers would.

HometownGal
08-22-2008, 04:27 PM

Ummmm. After re-thinking the sanity of that, I'd have to say no. :wink02::chuckle:

However, I have no doubt he'd be a great pole salesman! :applaudit:

38) Splathering a 13 year old's face with makeup doesn't make her look more mature or perform better on the balance beam. Instead, it makes her appear more eligible for the circus.

tony hipchest
08-22-2008, 04:58 PM

38) Splathering a 13 year old's face with makeup doesn't make her look more mature or perform better on the balance beam. Instead, it makes her appear more eligible for the circus.

well i am Polish. :scratchchin: Ski's Pole Shop- hmmm.... has a nice ring to it!

and htg you know i would never try to sell you a used car. a pre-owned vehicle maybe but never a used car. :laughing:

39) the olympics will never be held in Warsaw. theres problems with the stadium. no matter where you sit, youre sitting behind a Pole. :noidea:

40) you know that little girl on the chinese gymnastic team who is probably 6 but looks like shes 3? hell she looks so young shes like an embryo with long legs. absolutely no way she is 16 (or even 13).

41) i have no idea how they get the horses to china for the equestrian games. :hunch: what about all the long assed canoe's. do they rent them from a chinese canoe rental shop? maybe row em across the pacific?

stlrtruck
08-23-2008, 02:17 AM
42) You can waste 15-20 minutes of your life watching the 5,000M race and the long jump.

43) But both these groups (women runners and women long jumpers) would give Tony something to "SMILE" about.

Preacher
08-23-2008, 03:40 AM
44) Threads on the olympics quickly reduce a man of the cloth to crying out, "Why me, O Lord, why me?"

stlrtruck
08-23-2008, 04:07 AM
44) Threads on the olympics quickly reduce a man of the cloth to crying out, "Why me, O Lord, why me?"

Preacher, come on now. I think you're being a little selfish. Of all the trials and tribulations the saints went through and you can't handle a little thread about the Olympics?

I had higher hopes for you! :rofl:

TroysBadDawg
08-23-2008, 06:12 AM
45. The threads on the Olympics are there because God is very upset at this time.

46. IF He gets more upset we will be forced to watch reruns of the Olympics 24/7 and not football.

stlrtruck
08-23-2008, 06:28 AM
45. The threads on the Olympics are there because God is very upset at this time.

46. IF He gets more upset we will be forced to watch reruns of the Olympics 24/7 and not football.

No, IF GOd was truly upset he'd make us watch reruns of the browns...now that would be hell on earth!!!

MACH1
08-23-2008, 11:42 AM
No, IF GOd was truly upset he'd make us watch reruns of the browns vs. bengals...now that would be hell on earth!!!

Now that would truly be hell on earth.

MACH1
08-23-2008, 04:43 PM

Stripper poles? :flap:

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11019734/USB_Pole_Dancer.jpg

tony hipchest
08-23-2008, 04:54 PM

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11019734/USB_Pole_Dancer.jpglol.

im watching the rhythmic gymnastics with ball, hoop, ribbon, and sticks. i think they dropped the ball (i missed the beginning :noidea:).

47) they MOST definitely need to add stripper pole to this routine. :lust:

Texasteel
08-23-2008, 05:12 PM

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11019734/USB_Pole_Dancer.jpg

Think of the money they would make off the annual Olympics Calender.
The winner is the one with the most dollar bills?

tony hipchest
08-23-2008, 05:33 PM
48) the ladies brazilian voleyball team is full of amazons.... literally. :banana:

#10 (glass) for america is pretty hot.

*kenny mayne*- "shes tall"

OneForTheToe
08-23-2008, 06:29 PM
IMO, Logan Tom is the hottie on the USA Team.

http://www.avca.org/news/LoganTom.jpg

She's got hops too.

http://www.stanfordwomensvolleyball.com/images/Logan_TomB.jpg

And of course she plays the beach as well.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2367/2076515825_96d320907e_m.jpg

xfl2001fan
08-23-2008, 07:49 PM
IMO, Logan Tom is the hottie on the USA Team.

http://www.avca.org/news/LoganTom.jpg

She's got hops too.

http://www.stanfordwomensvolleyball.com/images/Logan_TomB.jpg

And of course she plays the beach as well.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2367/2076515825_96d320907e_m.jpg

Holy crap, that's super hot!!! Add that to the spank bank!

Atlanta Dan
08-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Here is what Thomas Boswell of The Washington Post has learned. Props to Mr. Boswell:thumbsup:

I will depart from my usual practice of quoting snippets of an article and just providing the link because the second half of the article provides a blistering insight of what the IOC and the Chinese government got when The Games were awarded to an authoritarian regime

A Perfect Olympics -- If You Stayed in Your Lane

In decades at The Post, this is the first event I've covered at which I was certain that the main point of the exercise was to co-opt the Western media, including NBC, with a splendidly pretty, sparsely attended, completely controlled sports event inside a quasi-military compound. We had little alternative but to be a conduit for happy-Olympics, progressive-China propaganda. I suspect it worked.

Everything that met my eye at every venue was perfect. Everybody smiled. Everybody pretended to speak English. Until you got past "Hello." Everyone was helpful until you went one inch past where you were supposed to go. Then, arms sprang out to stop you. Everywhere you went, even alone at 2 a.m., you felt completely safe. Because every hundred feet there were a pair of guards -- at attention in the middle of the night.

As sports spectacles go, I've never seen one more efficiently or soulessly executed than this one. I have no idea where they put the real people for 17 days, but I felt like Jim Carrey in "The Truman Show." Where's Ed Harris saying: "Truman is going to turn left on Main Street: cue the smiling girl and the hearty hot dog vendor."

The family that's always perfect in public is the one you worry about. What's going on under the surface? The complete lack of dissent here, including the designated Olympic "protest area" -- for which not one person could get a permit to protest, though some were detained for trying -- has an eloquence of its own.

As for the Chinese people, I like them a lot. But they've been through so many purges and plagues, cultural revolutions and great leaps forward, followed by the whipsaw from socialism to "rich is good," that I think they're happy to toe the societal line. This decade, it's entrepreneurial capitalism -- hyper-boom phase. We'll see how they like the bust part. It's probably coming.

China has, by every account, made incredible material progress in the last 25 years. This city, merely one of several in China that now rivals New York and Los Angeles for size and wealth, isn't going to do anything but continue to grow. The 21st century will, no doubt, be a vast improvement on the last few awful ones here.

Nonetheless, I'll leave here more concerned about China's future, and its impact on those around it, than the future of the United States. Part of that is probably xenophobia, though I've spent a lifetime repeating, "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

Some of it, however, is my suspicion that the cycles of capitalism and the inflexibility of authoritarian regimes make for a spectacularly happy marriage in the virtuous-cycle good times, but perhaps an ugly partnership in the inevitable bad periods.

China got aboard the free-market love train at roughly the time -- in the early '80s -- that worldwide capitalism hit one of its long secular hot streaks that frequently last 15 to 20 years. Money couldn't wait to invest itself here. Let's see how the Party enjoys its first secular bear market.

When political writers wander into sports, they often sound like rubes. The odds are high that I've merely flipped that script.

But if China were a stock, based on what I've seen and felt at this Olympics, I'd downgrade it from buy to hold.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/24/AR2008082400603_pf.html

Preacher
08-24-2008, 12:42 PM
The long and short of it on the political end...

USSR and China were both dying the death of communism...

USSR didn't adapt and died.

China, after Tianamen (sp) adapted financially and breathed just enough life to get a second wind... They are either a house of cards, or a fortress withstanding any force... Sadly, from the outside, it is hard to tell the difference.

Though, the image they are trying to project just may tell you what the govt. thinks about itself.