PDA

View Full Version : Stillers and Farrior agree to contract extension!

FearTroy43
08-21-2008, 12:08 AM
according to pro football talk, the stillers are close to extending farrior's contract. big news. --- heres the posting

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/20/report-steelers-farrior-close-to-new-deal/

REPORT: STEELERS, FARRIOR CLOSE TO NEW DEAL
Posted by Mike Florio on August 20, 2008, 11:56 p.m. EDT
Our friends at KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh (actually, we don’t really know them, but they seem nice) report that the Steelers and linebacker James Farrior are close to working out a contract extension.

Farrior is entering the last year of his current deal. He’s due to earn a base salary of $3.24 million in 2008.

The 1997 first-rounder from Virginia spent five seasons with the Jets before joining the Steelers in 2002. He has started all but four regular-season games in his six years with the Steelers.

Per the report, the deal could come as soon as tomorrow, and likely will be hammered out before Saturday’s game against the Vikings.

The Steelers typically don’t negotiate contracts with current players once the regular season opens.

The Duke
08-21-2008, 12:15 AM
wow, this is big news

won't get too excited yet since it's PFT, but hopefully they do it

and likely will be hammered out before Saturday’s game against the Vikings.

and here comes the wait and suspense....

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Yeah, belive it when I see it. Would offer a bit of cap relief and hopefully they then get on the horn to Marvel Smith's agent and start negotiating.

WWIIOwheelz
08-21-2008, 12:57 AM
This came from KDKA? I didn't watch the news tonight. Let me check their site, hold please....

*elevator music*

Nothing on KDKA site. I'll believe it when I see it, but it would make me a happy Steelers fan. Farrior is one of my favorite players, easily.

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Yeah, belive it when I see it. Would offer a bit of cap relief and hopefully they then get on the horn to Marvel Smith's agent and start negotiating.

WHAT??? we dont need joe horn! we drafted limas sweed. :chuckle:

(reading comprehension is our friend, people):busted:

if any player is worthy of the rooneys foregoing their "players over 30 years of age, aint worth shit" rule, it is farrior.

according to the statlines my man james had his 2nd best season of his career last season (his best being in 04 when he was robbed of defensive mvp honors by ed reed)..

if this is true, it would be atrue testament of someobody being a team player and taking a nice "hometown discount".

if true, he will be rewarded nicely (he earned it much more than starks) but we dont need much caproom (according to gil brandt today on sirius we are still $1.5 mil under).

i hope this "report" is true. farrior has got tons left to contribute and is a bonafide leader of this defense and team.

stlrtruck
08-21-2008, 01:36 AM
And I'm close to going to bed for the night. But it ain't happened yet.

I'll be excited when I see the final, "YEP IT'S DONE" headlines.

Steelman16
08-21-2008, 01:42 AM
Why does this sound almost too good to be true?

I would LOVE to see Farrior take the hometown discount. He's one of my favorite players, and he's looking younger! ( OK, as young as you can look at his age :chuckle: jk!)

I hope it happens, but I don't have my fingers crossed.

Galax Steeler
08-21-2008, 03:35 AM
It would be nice to keep him but as stated above I will believe it when I see it.

Michael Keller
08-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Signing Farrior would be a sign to me that Dan Rooney has some money not dedicated to buying his brothers shares of ownerhsip of the Steelers.

Lord Stiller
08-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Remember the Steelers dont negotiate extensions once the season starts. So they only have a little over 2 weeks to nail one down

A cap friendly 2-yr extension would be nice. Farrior still has a lot of good games in him imo

stillers4me
08-21-2008, 08:24 AM
I would love to see Farrior extended. He's one of my favorites and he deserves to retire in the black and gold. Hope it happens.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-21-2008, 09:27 AM
if any player is worthy of the rooneys foregoing their "players over 30 years of age, aint worth shit" rule, it is farrior.

according to the statlines my man james had his 2nd best season of his career last season (his best being in 04 when he was robbed of defensive mvp honors by ed reed)..

Tony, I was thinking the same. When LB's like Lloyd, Gildon, Kirkland, Holmes, Porter, etc were let go, their production had been sliding as they got up in age. Farrior's production has not started to slide and I would love to see him extended for another 4 years (he may never see that 4th year).

Another 3 years of Farrior, Foote, Timmons would be pretty solid at ILB.

BlastFurnace
08-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Did ProFootballTalk also say in that same Farrior article that we re-opened negotiations with Duante Cullpepper?

That site has zero credibility in my book.

SteelCityMan786
08-21-2008, 10:21 AM
THE DEAL IS DONE according to ESPN Radio 1250.

BlastFurnace
08-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Well...this is about as official as it gets:

http://news.steelers.com/article/93978/

SteelMember
08-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Confirmed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08234/906000-66.stm

:thumbsup:

BlastFurnace, you beat me to the punch. Although a bit confusing, this has some numbers in it.

Hamer
08-21-2008, 10:36 AM
nice!
OK- now what about Marvel??

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Great!! Pretty much what I thought....a 4 year deal with over $6mil in the last year which he will probably never see.

Farrior until 2011 will be a steady performer to go with the explosive ability of Timmons inside.!!

The Duke
08-21-2008, 10:49 AM
NOW there's reason to celebrate!!

he'll retire a steeler!!

great news to start the day

stillers4me
08-21-2008, 10:54 AM
gasp! PFT got it right.

I loooooooove James Farrior! He's as tough as nails and a great guy, too. He's a true Steeler at heart.......and it looks like he always will be! :drink:

Edman
08-21-2008, 10:56 AM
nice!
OK- now what about Marvel??

He's as good as gone now I assume.

I'm so glad James is staying. Cheers to number 51!:drink:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
08-21-2008, 10:58 AM
If only Faneca had taken the professional route like Farrior and kept his mouth shut. He would still be wearing Black and Gold. Thanks for doing it right James. :thumbsup:

stlrtruck
08-21-2008, 11:02 AM
gasp! PFT got it right.

Even a blind squirrel my friend...even a blind squirrel.

I'm glad to see Farrior get a deal done before the season starts. Now let's see what that translate to on the field.

SteelMember
08-21-2008, 11:04 AM
NOW there's reason to celebrate!!

he'll retire a steeler!!

great news to start the day

I get up, and nothin' gets me down. :guitar:

Sorry, after reading your post and seeing your location, I couldn't help myself.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-21-2008, 11:18 AM
This is VERY good news. Even if his playing time declines, his veteran knoledge will be passed on to youngins like Timmons, Woodley, and Davis.

Busforever
08-21-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm so happy for him and for the Steelers. Farrior is a great linebacker and a great guy, who knows what it is to be a team player. He is humble, intelligent, efficient, and an example for all the young guys in this defence.

stillers4me
08-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm so happy for him and for the Steelers. Farrior is a great linebacker and a great guy, who knows what it is to be a team player. He is humble, intelligent, efficient, and an example for all the young guys in this defence.

Well said! :hatsoff:

Michael Keller
08-21-2008, 12:24 PM
I love seeing a guy like Farrior retiring as a Steeler. Every body wins here , Farrior , Managment, the Steelers as a team , and the fans.

Can"t even imagine what it is ilike to be Bengal fan. We sign Farrior they sign Chris Henry.

OneForTheToe
08-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Here is hoping this goes better than the extention given LLoyd. I think Farrior has 2 or 3 more seasons in him but it is amazing how quick "it" can leave player. James, nice to have you back for a few more years ... now please avoid sataph infections.

HometownGal
08-21-2008, 01:15 PM
If only Faneca had taken the professional route like Farrior and kept his mouth shut. He would still be wearing Black and Gold. Thanks for doing it right James. :thumbsup:

Spot on! :thumbsup:

The Steelers did not want to take a chance on losing the glue that holds that D together. Great move by the Steelers FO to get the deal done! :tt03:

Farrior is one of my top 2 favorite Steelers - glad to know that he's going to be around for quite a while longer! :drink::applaudit::tt02:

I'm going to change the title of this thread with this great revelation!

Preacher
08-21-2008, 01:31 PM
I love that fact...

Farrior will probably be starting for a couple more years... this and the next... lets hope. Just enough to bring one more player and train him up properly.

pittsburghp8baller
08-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Farrior has been a great leader on this team and i am so glad that he will be ending his career in a steelers jersey (unless he pulls a brett favre)

rbryan
08-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Do you think any of the prima donna's in this league are paying attn to how a professional handles his business?

It's refreshing to see a player who doesn't act like a 4 year old in order to get what he wants. Funny how players like this get rewarded by the Rooneys and the crybabies get shown the door. Who knew that life could be so simple if you just treated others the way you would like to be treated yourself.

Alva Lord
08-21-2008, 02:37 PM
James Farrior lived up to his words when he said, "It isn't about the money. I don't want to play anywhere else. I only want to play here. I just want to be treated fairly." Compared to the deal the Phins signed Joey Porter to last year, this was a bargain and a win-win for both parties.

lilyoder6
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
wow.. i am glad that they re-signed him but 4 5 yrs??? he is alrdy 33 and in 5 yrs he'll be 38.. thats pushing it.. i can see a 3 yr contract but not 5 hopefully he can still find the fountain of youth

Alva Lord
08-21-2008, 02:46 PM
wow.. i am glad that they re-signed him but 4 5 yrs??? he is alrdy 33 and in 5 yrs he'll be 38.. thats pushing it.. i can see a 3 yr contract but not 5 hopefully he can still find the fountain of youth
That's why his contract is front loaded. I don't think Farrior or the team expect him to play more than three more years.

Galax Steeler
08-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Farrior Signs Five-Year Deal Press Release

Linebacker James Farrior stood in front of his locker after practice on Thursday with the media surrounding him and his teammates good-naturedly ribbing him about the new contract he just signed and now ‘being in the money.’
For Farrior, the attention was welcome because it meant he got just what he wanted, the chance to finish his career in the black and gold

“That is the game plan, to try to finish out my career here,” said Farrior. “The Steelers have been good to me. I put all of my heart and soul into this and I am going to try and close it out.”

Farrior signed a five-year contract that keeps him with the Steelers through the 2012 season. His current contract was set to expire after the 2008 season and Farrior didn’t want to go anywhere.

“I was always hopeful,” said Farrior. “I didn’t know how it was going to go. You never know how it is going to go. I wasn’t too sure at first but they expressed to me they wanted to get something done. We had some communication with my agent and we got a deal worked out. I was confident in the Steelers and my agent that we could get a deal done.”

The deal has been in the works the last few days, but things came together on Wednesday evening and everything was finalized on Thursday, something that also pleases head coach Mike Tomlin.

“James has played at an extremely high level the entire time I have been here,” said Tomlin. “It’s a pleasure to get that deal done. We are glad that it’s done. It’s great to know he is going to be a part of us here in the future. Not only is he an outstanding player, he is an outstanding professional. He is an outstanding leader for us and has been a captain of our defense for awhile.”

While Farrior hasn’t let the contract be a distraction to him at all, he is relieved that it is taken care of before the season begins.

“It makes it a lot easier not worrying about your longevity here and where you might be next year,” said Farrior. “It gives you a level of comfort and ease that you know where you are going to be and this is your home.

“I didn’t worry about it too much. I thought about it, it was in the back of my mind. Its football time now and that is what we have to focus on.”

http://news.steelers.com/article/93987/

stillers4me
08-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Here's to a few more years with James Farrior...........I'm happy he's staying a Steeler to the end. :cheers:

Hapa
08-21-2008, 03:00 PM
YAY! Hopefully he can teach Timmons some more stuff :D

skinart82
08-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Thats the thing, keep him a starter for the next couple seasons and then have him as a valueable backup that can still lead the defense.

Blitzburgh_Fever
08-21-2008, 04:05 PM
James Farrior is so classy. Not just for an athlete, he's an amazing force on the defense. I think I'm gonna buy his jersey.

I'm thinking we'll have Steelergate in 08 :flap: We must be cheating to get such positive influences like Townsend, Farrior, Ward, Clark, etc etc. It's unreal that our biggest problem with a player is he hits too hard, meanwhile the Bungles have CJ being a whiney baby, just signed a true thug, Ravens have murderin ray, even the Colts had a Marvin Harrison scare. We're the quintessential blue-collar, hard working team :tt02:

Stay classy, James :drink:
Stay classy, Pittsburgh :tt03:

Dino 6 Rings
08-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Running Skills dog...work on those Running Skills...don't "get excited".

I love it. Now I may just purchase his Jersey.

VTsteel
08-21-2008, 05:50 PM

That's too funny - I was thinking the same thing! :drink:

WWIIOwheelz
08-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Well, I have to admit, I'm originally from Virginia, lived there 25 years. My best friend graduated from UVa, so I've always been particularly fond of players coming from the football program I watched so much as a kid.

James Farrior and Heath Miller have been favorites of mine from the moments we got them. One time on a trip to Virginia to see my oldest daughter, I stopped for gas in Northern Virginia and was next to a guy with UVa football stuff all over his truck. I asked about UVa that year, told him I was from Pittsburgh, was a huge Steelers fan, and "oh, thanks so much for Heath Miller and Farrior!"

This guy thought that was the coolest thing that I remembered where they were from, and we talked for 10 minutes or so about those two and future NFL prospects there. I'm pretty sure he became a lot more of a Steelers fan after our conversation, and both our wives were looking at us like we were nuts, acting like we'd known each other our whole lives.

I will probably get a Farrior jersey this year, now. It makes me happy that he'll retire a Steeler.

steelreserve
08-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Given the trouble with our defensive line depth, maybe this is the start of a new strategy to replace the 3-4 defensive scheme with a 2-5.

GutterflowerSteel
08-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Farrior is one of my favorite players, and I'm so glad that he'll retire as a Steeler. He's the straw that stirs the drink on D :tt02:

DACEB
08-21-2008, 07:23 PM

That's too funny - I was thinking the same thing! :drink:

What?... I didn't just purchase a Farrior Premier jersey from FansEdge.com Go check it out their on sale, reg. $110 got it for $60

yea baby!

revefsreleets
08-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Well, Marvel Smith should become the focus now...if they are interested in keeping him. He's been nowhere near as vocal as Faneca was last year, and hasn't bad-mouthed the Steelers anywhere near as much. It wouldn't shock me if they inked a deal with him as well (if he's on their radar of players to keep).

I suspect he may want the huge overpayment that awaits him out there somewhere though...

lilyoder6
08-21-2008, 07:46 PM
there is rly no-one else hat is wanting a contract b4 the season

steeltheone
08-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Seems like a great guy, but wish we would have gone younger.

NV STEELERS 723
08-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Great news....his patience was rewarded!

Stlrs4Life
08-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Glad to see Potsy is staying with us!

Steely McSmash
08-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Very good news. Good thing Ed Bouchette didn't know what he was talking about Tuesday:

7: Any news regarding James Farrior or Marvel Smith's negotiations about a contract extension?

Ed Bouchette: What negotiations? There are none.

Hopefully this means they're engaged with Marvel and some other O-line guys as well. Would be nice to get Essex or Kemo extended on the cheap.

Steelersfan4life0655
08-21-2008, 09:55 PM
I love this move!! this put me a great mood today. he'll give the young guys a lot of knowledge in the years to come. :tt03:

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 09:58 PM
farrior is now on an unbelievable 5 year $18.25 million deal. :jawdrop:

that is amazing (and awfully generous considering joey porters deal w/ the dolphins-

Porter agreed to a five-year, $32 million contract with the Dolphins that will pay him a reported $12 million signing bonus and another $8 million in guaranteed money. .

thats as big of a hometown discount as it gets. thanks james. i really believe he will be rewarded with another championship (or 3), plus he has now joined "jerome bettis" lore, in my eyes.

Dynasty
08-21-2008, 11:23 PM
The thing is, not only will he retire a steeler, there's also a good chance he would come back as an asst. coach when he's done. He already has a similar role on the team. Same deal with Hines. Those two have it in them to be coaches, at least in my opinion.

And we got James for a great deal. That kind of production for so little money, awesome job by the FO, as well as Farrior's agent.

Steelman16
08-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Farrior is the man! I'm so glad that'll be around to retire a Pittsburgh Steeler!

:drink:

Elvis
08-22-2008, 05:28 AM
I love Farrior and what he brings to our team, but he is 32 years old! We have Lawrence Timmons ready to make the next move to starting and we sign Farrior to a 5 Year Extension?...
Then we have a LT by the name of Smith.. uh.. Marvell Smith. And he is gonna be a free agent after this season, and he needs a new contract, and he is really just hitting his prime... now, whats up with?
:noidea:

X-Terminator
08-22-2008, 05:43 AM
I love Farrior and what he brings to our team, but he is 32 years old! We have Lawrence Timmons ready to make the next move to starting and we sign Farrior to a 5 Year Extension?...
Then we have a LT by the name of Smith.. uh.. Marvell Smith. And he is gonna be a free agent after this season, and he needs a new contract, and he is really just hitting his prime... now, whats up with?

Farrior more than likely doesn't see the final year of that deal, as has already been stated, which is why the extension is front-loaded. Plus, Timmons is slated to replace Larry Foote, not Farrior. Potsie is the guy who starts it all for the Steelers' D - he makes all of the defensive signal calls and makes sure everyone is lined up where they're supposed to be. He is like another coach on the field, and there is no substitute for that. I'm glad they re-signed him, because Potsie truly deserves to retire as a member of the black and gold.

HometownGal
08-22-2008, 06:33 AM

Potsie is the glue that holds that D together and a huge leader on that team. As XT stated above, he is also the defensive signal caller which is a very important role and not one that a team can just hand to anybody.

Pots has proven himself over and over again throughout his career with the Steelers. Marvel Smith had one good season thus far and the rest of the time, he's played injured or hasn't played at all. What do you think the going rate is out there for a LT with an ailing back? :doh:

SteelMember
08-22-2008, 07:08 AM
Awesome. Now they won't have to refit that new speaker helmet for awhile.:chuckle:

steeltheone
08-22-2008, 10:44 AM
I know i'm in the minority but i can't see him being starter productive past this year. I hope i'm wrong.

stlrtruck
08-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Not to start an argument but I think you're wrong. He's the leader on the defense right now and that's hard to supplant. Leadership can not be taken away, it has to be earned. Similar to the way that Jack Lambert took over back in the 70's. While I'm impressed with Woodly and Timmons, I don't see them taking over leadership in the next 2-3 years.

SteelMember
08-22-2008, 11:30 AM
I know i'm in the minority but i can't see him being starter productive past this year. I hope i'm wrong.

Negative Nelly.:chuckle:

Even if he dosen't start, which I don't see anyone taking his spot to this point, there would be very little drop off in talent if he came off the bench. Leadership, on the field, sideline and in the locker room... that is where his value can't be measured in dollars. I think we have a great ,"young" core of LB's, but they still have learning to do and having James as a mentor is a good thing.:thumbsup:

Charlie - Ben
Jerome - Willie
Hines - any WR that will listen. Some just don't.:doh:

The Duke
08-22-2008, 11:32 AM

why? he hasn't exactly shown any signs of slowing down.

maybe in 2 years cause he'll be 35, then he could be a backup, a very good backup :tt03:

Dino 6 Rings
08-22-2008, 11:37 AM
"I get Nervous"

needed to fix my quote...I love this guy and really am glad we are finally going to retire a linebacker with the Steelers. Its seems like its been forever.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2008, 02:52 PM
. Marvel Smith had one good season thus far :

I think this statement is a bit over the top for a 9 year veteran who has started at either RT or LT since his 2nd season with the team.

If you actually watched him play over the past 8 years and appreciated the skills and technique required to play O-line, you would note that he has probably had at least 4 great seasons, 2 good ones and 2 hampered by injuries.

The fact that he continued to play the most physically demanding position on the O line with a herniated disc that would land the average person on this board, time off work on disability leave shows that he is a warrior.

I dont care if you dont agree to offer him a deal or extend him, but please give the guy the respect that he is due and don't scapegoat him for the O-line difficulty because he only made the popularity contest that is the ProBowl one time .

He is truly one of the top 10-15 LT's in the game and as a technician.....he ranks even higher than that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2008, 02:54 PM
"I get Nervous"

needed to fix my quote...I love this guy and really am glad we are finally going to retire a linebacker with the Steelers. Its seems like its been forever.

That was Foote with the "I get nervous" quote. Now Foote should be nervous as Farrior will probably play 3 more seasons and Timmons should end up starting by game 8 this year.

Alva Lord
08-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Apparently, you think James Farrior will be another Jason Gildon; get a fat contract and disappear. Gildon, on his best day, couldn't carry Farrior's jock.

Atlanta Dan
08-22-2008, 05:19 PM
I am not comparing Farrior to Kendall Simmons, but Simmons got a big contract last season after other negotiations went nowhere - Farrior negotiations were dead in the water and now he gets a contract that IMO is above his market value that he would have taken months ago.

Seems like the agents for the FAs on the OL said get lost and then Farrior got his - if Rooney sells the team I would hope the front office (not the coaching staff) gets a hard look from Druckenmiller

steeltheone
08-22-2008, 08:19 PM

His solo tackles decreased from 85 in 06' to 66 in 07' assists decreased from 43 to 30. This is a defense where Casey Hampton takes up 2 blockers every play. ( sarcastic)

Atlanta Dan
08-22-2008, 08:26 PM

His solo tackles decreased from 85 in 06' to 66 in 07' assists decreased from 43 to 30. This is a defense where Casey Hampton takes up 2 blockers every play. ( sarcastic)

Pro football players age in dog years after they turn 30 (the exceptions being running backs who often crater after 5 years in the NFL and QBs who can last into their mid to late 30s)

Farrior has been a fine LB but I am very nervous about any contract that assumes he has many quality starts left in him after 2009 - I think the front office had to sign someone and it was Farrior's luck nobody on the OL is biting

steeltheone
08-22-2008, 08:27 PM
I believe he is important to our defense. But I think our biggest problem is no kick ass Greg Lloyd type leader. Harrison is close and hopefully keeps going. The leadership, veteran bullshit is overrated. Unless your talking a QB.

OneForTheToe
08-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Remember this is the NFL not MLB, so all that matters is the amount guarenteed. The Stillers probably think Farrior has two or threee more seasons and then he will be gone and the rest of his contract with him. Good enough for me because I do think he can play a couple of more seasons.

Havik
08-24-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm glad Farrior got his extension. He is one of my favorite players and I would have hated to see him go. I think he might have a good 2-3 years left.

Alva Lord
08-24-2008, 01:15 PM
The leadership, veteran bullshit is overrated. Unless your talking a QB.
Every owner, GM, and head coach disagree with you. Do not underestimate or undervalue solid veteran leadership. Stand up guys like Bettis and Farrior are vital to the future success of the team. They teach new guys more than just improving their games. They set the tone, work ethic and in many cases, life skills necessary for them to succeed.