PDA

View Full Version : Steelers on brink of losing key player

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-21-2008, 03:10 AM
Steelers on brink of losing key player
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 21, 2008

The clock may be ticking on Marvel Smith's career in Pittsburgh.
The veteran left tackle said "it's pretty much guaranteed" that he will be playing elsewhere next season if he and the Steelers do not agree on a contract extension before the start of the regular season Sept. 7.

Smith, who protects the blind side of Pro Bowl quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, is in the final year of his contract. The Steelers have a policy of not engaging in contract negotiations during the season.

The two sides have not had any substantial talks on a contract extension.

"Everybody who knows Marvel personally is well aware that it's not all about going to the highest bidder," said Ken Zuckerman, Smith's agent. "He doesn't like change and would definitely be open to working out a contract before the season. However, once the regular season starts with no extension in place, he will be forced to enter the free-agent market."
Smith would probably cash in big time if he hit the open market.

The Miami Dolphins gave a five-year, $57.75 million deal -- $30 million is guaranteed -- to left tackle Jake Long, and he hasn't played a down in the NFL.

Long's contract is the richest ever for an offensive lineman.

Smith could get a deal similar to the one Long -- the first overall pick of the 2008 draft -- signed with the Dolphins.

Established left tackles who are still in their primes such as Smith rarely hit the open market. They are almost always re-signed by their teams because of a paucity of quality left tackles in the NFL.

The Steelers historically have been reluctant to give long-term extensions to players that have completed two contract cycles such as Smith. And Smith, who turned 30 earlier this month, missed five games last season because of back problems.

Smith had successful surgery last December, and the operation relieved the 6-foot-5, 321-pounder of a nerve problem that had caused him to lose feeling in his lower right leg at times last season.

"I feel like I've got a new lease on my career," Smith said. "I feel like I've got plenty of good years (left)."

Smith already has given the Steelers plenty of good years.

He started at right tackle as a rookie in 2000 and later made a successful transition to left tackle. Smith made the Pro Bowl in 2005 and is highly regarded at a position that is especially critical to the Steelers given the investment they made in Roethlisberger during the offseason.

"I think he's one of the better tackles, as far as (left) tackles, that I've played against," Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison said of Smith, whom he goes against every day in practice.

If Smith leaves, the Steelers don't appear to have any viable options at left tackle.

Max Starks, who filled in for Smith last season, is also in the final year of his contract, and he conceded last week that it is questionable that he will be with the Steelers next season.

Trai Essex hasn't looked like anything more than a stopgap at left tackle in the three seasons he has played for the Steelers. Rookie Tony Hills, a fourth-round draft pick, is a major project.

The Steelers could keep Smith for one season beyond 2008 by using the franchise tag on the ninth-year veteran.

However, that seems unlikely for a couple of reasons:

Teams generally use the franchise tag on a player only after they have tried to negotiate a long-term deal, and there have been no serious discussions between the Steelers and Zuckerman on an extension.

The franchise tag guarantees a player the average of the top five salaries at his position from the previous year, but it is also a risk since it may keep a player on the team against his will.

Asked if he would feel slighted if the Steelers don't offer him an extension before the season opener against the Houston Texans, Smith said, "I can't tell you how I would feel right now because I'm not trying to dwell on it. All I can do is control getting ready for the season, playing the best I can and helping the team win. It's up to them whether or not they want to do anything."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mixed results
Coveted left tackles rarely hit free agency since teams usually re-sign them before they can test the open market. Here are some notable left tackles that signed free-agent contracts elsewhere and how they fared.

Wayne Gandy: The Saints signed the former Steeler -- 32 at the time -- to a six-year, $30 million contract in March 2003. Gandy played three seasons in New Orleans before the Saints traded him to the Falcons. Atlanta released Gandy after last season.

John Tait: The former Chief signed a six-year, $33 million deal with the Bears in March 2004. Tait had played left and right tackle for the Chiefs. He played right tackle his first season in Chicago but has since been the Bears' starting left tackle.

Jonas Jennings: The 49ers gave the former Bill a seven-year, $36 million deal in March 2005. Jennings has been a bit of a flop as injuries and ineffectiveness have plagued him in San Francisco. The 49ers have moved him to right tackle.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_584066.html

stlrtruck
08-21-2008, 03:19 AM
Well, maybe, just MAYBE, you'll prove yourself this year and the Steelers will break tradition and have some contract negotiations late in the season.

redst3
08-21-2008, 03:23 AM
He's had one really good year and lots of others that were mixed. If they can let Faneca go, then they can let him go as well.

stlrtruck
08-21-2008, 03:41 AM
The only problem I have is with the recent departure and the one soon to be on our O-line, I really don't want to go through another 2004 season like we did before we got Ben. Don't get me wrong I'm glad we got Ben I don't need him killed.

Galax Steeler
08-21-2008, 03:56 AM
I just think we need to resign smith he is the best thing we have right now on the line we can't afford to loose him and Faneca in back to back years.

Steel Pit
08-21-2008, 05:39 AM
This article reads much the same as the Alan Faneca article about this same time last year. I think that I've heard about enough of these players insisting that they'll be playing elsewhere unless ownership steps up and re-signs them before the season starts.

Hey, bye, bye Marvel. The Steelers will be worse off without him but it won't be as bad as we initially believe it to be. Ef him, if he want's top 5 Tackle money then send his A$$ on his way. His recent play puts him in the category of those rated 15-18 so I say that they should pay him on that scale or let him go. Rather than spending "big money" on Marvel, the Steelers should go out next off-season and sign one of the "biggest name"- free agent OL available.

GBMelBlount
08-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Galax_Steeler
I just think we need to resign smith he is the best thing we have right now on the line we can't afford to loose him and Faneca in back to back years.

...Not to mention losing Hartings.

I'd hate to overpay Marvel considering his age, back problems, and not knowing how he will rebound this year. The poor planning has already resulted in a $7 mil bench warmer..... BUT I am not overly confident with our current line situation, or what it may look like after this year due to free agency.

Lord Stiller
08-21-2008, 07:15 AM
use the dang Franchise Tag

HometownGal
08-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Well - public whining didn't get Faneca his big payday, so why would Smith think his whining will?

I too am sick of these fat cats and their B & Ming just before the season starts. I like Marvel, but like most NFL players, he is replaceable through the draft or via FA. If you want to go next season Marvel, don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya.

STEELtownHAVOX
08-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Whatever Smith, when I saw what and who the article was about I didn't even finish reading it. You're trash.

SteelersJW
08-21-2008, 08:09 AM
If he can't get over his back issues and have a really great season mabye we'll break the rule. I think he his definately replaceable if we can develop some younger players or draft a great tackle out in the draft.

Glace
08-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Heh...let him go.

Smith has never really proven himself to me. I've seen him just let a lot of blocks go. When my friends get together to watch a game we always point him out saying "WTF is he doing???"

I realize he was playing hurt last year, but he hasn't had enough of a good past to try to be some big bargaining chip to me.

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Tony - I apologize. I accidentally hit the "Edit" button instead of the "Quote" to quote your post and reply.

A thousand pardons. :nw::nw::nw:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Anybody know what other LT's will be on the market next year??

Marvel is probably a top10 LT in this league despite the steeler fans bitching and moaning about him. He has solid technique, athletecism and size.

I dont like the prospects of a rookie guarding Ben's blind side next season, especially if we are picking #32. What Free Agents would you want at LT next year???

Edman
08-21-2008, 09:35 AM
I think Marvel is finished in Pittsburgh. Back problems linger and only get tougher as you get older. Marvel was getting Destroyed against Jacksonville last year in Game 1, and he looked very vulnerable against the Bills last week.

It's not like the Steelers have much a choice however. We have NOBODY behind him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-21-2008, 10:45 AM
I think Marvel is finished in Pittsburgh. Back problems linger and only get tougher as you get older. Marvel was getting Destroyed against Jacksonville last year in Game 1, and he looked very vulnerable against the Bills last week.

It's not like the Steelers have much a choice however. We have NOBODY behind him.

I think you are right that he is done in Pittsburgh. They dont look like they want to extend him.

I think he will be a really good LT for whoever signs him in the offseason. He was getting killed in J ville because of his back pain causing numbness in his legs and restricting use of them. He had the herniated disc remove and the 2 vertabrae fused together which is pretty common and is now pain free.

steeltheone
08-21-2008, 11:28 AM
You hit the nail on the head ,Gal!

Dino 6 Rings
08-21-2008, 11:36 AM
You can NOT be part of an offensive line that allows 47 Sacks in one season and expect a raise. Life doesn't work that way.

rbryan
08-21-2008, 11:45 AM
What a joke, let me know when he starts playing like a top ten LT, he hasn't been close to that level for the last 3-4 years.

He and his agent are both living in a fantasy world to compare him with Jake Long. Lets forget for a minute that Long wasn't worth that kind of money let alone a 30+ year old with chronic back problems who gets beat like a rented mule. I just hope Marvel has enough intestinal fortitude to not mail it this year so he can go cash in somewhere else.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
The only problem I have is with the recent departure and the one soon to be on our O-line, I really don't want to go through another 2004 season like we did before we got Ben. Don't get me wrong I'm glad we got Ben I don't need him killed.

I think we are already in that predicament with Not So Marvelous Smith and another reason I'm banging the table to get Dixon the extra practice. Dixon possesses naturally sick speed and agility.

We don't need Ben killed. So when he shouldn't be playing - banged up - someone who works well after the pocket collapses will fare better than wheelchair has-beens.

Edman
08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Smith would probably cash in big time if he hit the open market.

You bet. Some poor sadsack team will overpay for his PAST services, but not his future services.

Yep, Marvel is gone next year.

steelreserve
08-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Who cares if we lose Smith? He's adequate, but he's no superstar. I know all kinds of people are freaked out because of what happened with Mahan last year, but losing one starter on the OL every year or two is pretty normal and is just something you have to deal with.

In fact, people always get freaked out about our offensive line for no reason. It seems like a lot of Steelers fans have somehow gotten it in their heads that everyone from the 2006 offensive line is the best in the league at his position, nobody else can do the job, and the whole team will collapse if we let any of them go, so we need to keep them at all costs.

Here in the real world, those guys were all pretty good, but they have their ups and downs like everybody else, and they won't be here forever in any case.

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 12:24 PM
What a joke, let me know when he starts playing like a top ten LT, he hasn't been close to that level for the last 3-4 years.

He and his agent are both living in a fantasy world to compare him with Jake Long. Lets forget for a minute that Long wasn't worth that kind of money let alone a 30+ year old with chronic back problems who gets beat like a rented mule. I just hope Marvel has enough intestinal fortitude to not mail it this year so he can go cash in somewhere else.scott brown made the jake long reference. again, steelerfans are so trigger happy to pile on and bash the player.

and for for what? absolutely nothing other than a fishwrap hack stringing enough words together to call it an "article".

please relax people.

OneForTheToe
08-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I would love it if we could keep Marvel, but not at "Long" prices. If I am correct,Chis K is going to need a contract next season as well. I think the Steelers need to make a decision if Kemo is worth a big contract and give it to him if the answer is yes. That would mean we would likely have four starters coming back next season.

rbryan
08-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I think some sportswriters must be getting kickbacks from the agents. One more reason to take anything you read with a grain of salt.

BlastFurnace
08-21-2008, 12:32 PM
If Marvel looks elsewhere for a big payday, I can understand that. He's been a good Steeler and played well here. I wish him well. Just give us one more good season Marvel.

HometownGal
08-21-2008, 01:30 PM
i see no whining or moaning coming from marvel.

The veteran left tackle said "it's pretty much guaranteed" that he will be playing elsewhere next season if he and the Steelers do not agree on a contract extension before the start of the regular season Sept. 7.

OK - I'll change my opinion of what he said above to bitching and moaning. How's dat? Just as I felt with Faneca last season, Marvel should have kept his feelings between him, his agent and the Steelers FO, imho. I would think that is the mature and professional way to handle the situation.

theres an unwritten rule that steelerfans cannot rip the rooneys for being frugal. in turn, they unfairly trash the player instead, no matter how good they were to the team.

If you are referring to me, it is RARE that I rip the Rooneys or trash any Steelers player. Quite the opposite, in fact. However in this case, as said above, I'm tired of players airing issues that should be kept strictly between them and the FO. Putting it out there for the media to twist and turn is foolish and counterproductive, imho.

Hines0wnz
08-21-2008, 02:04 PM
All cynicism aside, the team should make every effort to keep him in black n gold. With Ben getting his payday, I dont see how they would leave him vulnerable by replacing Smith with an unproven, an unknown or a rookie. The Steelers have most of the core team left from the SB bowl win but with key pieces leaving here and there recently the consistency is fading. There needs to be a new tradition of keeping a good team in tact.

Just my 2 cents.

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 02:13 PM
If you are referring to me, it is RARE that I rip the Rooneys or trash any Steelers player. Quite the opposite, in fact. However in this case, as said above, I'm tired of players airing issues that should be kept strictly between them and the FO. Putting it out there for the media to twist and turn is foolish and counterproductive, imho.no, not at all. just speaking in general. a large portion of our fanbase feels the rooneys can do no wrong, and in turn feel the players should do no wrong.

hell, santonio was ripped for jay walking, porter for trash talking, a. smith for showboating, deshea for allegedly beating up someone in da club, parker for fumbling, kordell for being gay, mahan for being a small turnstyle,and list goes on and on. it seems since we have no chris henrys to blast we will still find something to nitpick about and pile on :bump:

marvel just admitted the truth. if he isnt signed in the next few weeks it is pretty much guaranteed he wont be back. everyone knows it. im sure its something he is coming to grips with, and that hes not too happy to be kicked out on the street by his family ( the steelers are as close to a tight nit family as you can find in pro sports).

he also said this-

"I feel like I've got a new lease on my career," Smith said. "I feel like I've got plenty of good years (left)." i see nothing wrong with that either. as i recall, farrior also talked publicly about a contract extension.

rbryan
08-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Read the article again, its the Marvell Smith camp that is threatening to leave if he doesn't get his extension NOW as opposed to proving that he deseves it. Farrior was willing to keep negotiations open next year regardless.

He hasn't shown that he's worthy of a big contract. If he is truly healthy and has more years in the tank he owes it to the organization to prove it. Last I checked he's been collecting some fat checks the past few years...more than he was worth.

Alva Lord
08-21-2008, 02:23 PM
I love it when it's announced that the Steelers may not re-sign a very good player. It's as automatic as the sun rising that Steelers fans will turn on that player as though they were Lepers. Yet, when they pick up a free agent Steelers fans will act as though they they just signed an all pro.

Marvel Smith has been an exceptional player for the team and I hope that a deal can be worked out so that he can remain with the team for as long as they signed James Farrior. Despite the belief from some fans that the Steelers can just go out and draft his replacement, that is being naive. Very good Left tackles are worth keeping, especially when they are and have been protecting the blind side of your 102 million dollar QB.

rbryan
08-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Marvell may have been a good LT, but he hasn't been healthy for 3 years now. Asking him to play a full season before breaking the bank doesn't seem like a lot to ask. I didn't read anywhere in that article where he gave back any of the big bucks when he wasn't producing. As far as not being able to replace him, if he's hurt and can't play, it doesn't matter how good he used to be.

When a player starts negotiating in the press and is threatening to leave next year if he doesn't get his extension now, he's as good as gone whether the sun rises or not tomorrow.

HometownGal
08-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Marvell may have been all those things you say, but he hasn't been healthy for 3 years now. Asking him to play a full season before breaking the bank doesn't seem like a lot to ask. As far as not being able to replace him, if he's hurt and can't play, it doesn't matter how good he used to be.

When a player starts negotiating in the press and is threatening to leave if he doesn't get his extension now, he's as good as gone whether the sun rises or not tomorrow.

:thumbsup::tt03::drink:

Couldn't have said it better, rbryan.

Alva Lord
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Marvell may have been a good LT, but he hasn't been healthy for 3 years now. Asking him to play a full season before breaking the bank doesn't seem like a lot to ask. I didn't read anywhere in that article that he gave back any of the big bucks he was paid to sit on the bench the past three years. As far as not being able to replace him, if he's hurt and can't play, it doesn't matter how good he used to be.

When a player starts negotiating in the press and is threatening to leave next year if he doesn't get his extension now, he's as good as gone whether the sun rises or not tomorrow.
Smith "threatened" to leave? That's not what I read.

rbryan
08-21-2008, 02:52 PM
His agent did, unless you're telling me the agent isn't speaking for his client then I gotta assume thats where he stands.

Maybe Marvel is a swell guy and his agent is playing the bad cop, what do I know. If Marvel is healthy and proves it this year then I say give him a new deal. To pay him before he proves he's recoverd from the back problems isn't good business.

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Smith "threatened" to leave? That's not what I read.
me neither. nor did i see his agent threatening to leave. i took it to mean they just read the writing on the wall, are admitting the truth, and willing to accept their fate.

thats typically how the steelers operate. no news here.

i do, however, feel that if he proves worthy this season steelers will break "tradition" and try to keep him, just like they did with farrior. theres an exception to every rule.

perhaps theyre being a bit dramatic for emphasis and i can understand why.

oh well, atleast hes not adam jones or chris henry. if speaking to the media and answering a question truthfully is the worst we gotta worry about with our players, i'll take it. :tt02:

ryan clark practically trashed the training staff and thats all water under the bridge now. everyones just glad hes back, and keeping showboat smith off the field.

rbryan
08-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Damn reporters, I guess he's twisting the agents words around.....lol.....I'm sure the agent would never want anyone to think they're threatening to leave if he doesn't get paid now.

Read it anyway you like, but players and agents use the media to get thier point across all the time. Look at he title of the article....if thats not threatening to leave, I don't know what is.

Steeldude
08-21-2008, 04:07 PM
this is what the steelers get for neglecting the O-line for so many years. they are doing the same with the D-line. it was a trend with the LB corps, but has recently been addressed/repaired. everything is snowballing now.

why the steelers constantly draft QBs, RBs, WRs and TEs instead of OL and DL, i will never understand. they need to draft serious picks aloing the offensive and defensive lines. acquiring hand-me-down players and late round picks isn't going to solve the problems.

steel striker
08-21-2008, 04:35 PM
As much as I liked Faneca Ben was still sacked 47 times. Smith has been a pretty good player but, having trouble staying healthy. I hope he does give us one more good year . Everyone knows in the Steel city the squeaky wheel does not always get the grease.

HometownGal
08-21-2008, 04:51 PM
As much as I liked Faneca Ben was still sacked 47 times.

No, no, no!!!! Ben's sacks were all Mahan's fault, don't you know that? :laughing::wink02:

I get what a couple of you are saying about other players publicly showcasing their tales of woe over their contract situations, but I still think it's dead wrong and counterproductive. Silence is golden.

SteelMember
08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I think Marvel has to show something this year before anyone in the FO will be confident giving him any kind of offer, let alone ridiculous Jake Long money. Even if they tag him like they did Starks, they would only pay and average of LT's, not the highest.

I don't like the "tone" of the article, but we all should know words can be manipulated by the media. Even if it is all actually a direct quote, he can help it can he? He's a quiet guy. He's not used to having a reporter actually talk to him... is he? They're usually asking him where Ben is.:chuckle::noidea:

steelreserve
08-21-2008, 04:59 PM
oh well, atleast hes not adam jones or chris henry. if speaking to the media and answering a question truthfully is the worst we gotta worry about with our players, i'll take it. :tt02:

Well, we did have the nifty little incidents with Wilson and Harrison, so I'd hardly say this is the worst we've had to worry about this offseason.

Having said that -- yes, if this is the most severe that our problems get from now on, I'd be plenty happy about that.

LVSteelersfan
08-21-2008, 07:28 PM
I love it when it's announced that the Steelers may not re-sign a very good player. It's as automatic as the sun rising that Steelers fans will turn on that player as though they were Lepers. Yet, when they pick up a free agent Steelers fans will act as though they they just signed an all pro.

Marvel Smith has been an exceptional player for the team and I hope that a deal can be worked out so that he can remain with the team for as long as they signed James Farrior. Despite the belief from some fans that the Steelers can just go out and draft his replacement, that is being naive. Very good Left tackles are worth keeping, especially when they are and have been protecting the blind side of your 102 million dollar QB.

The very least they need to do is franchise Smith next year and draft someone to replace him so the new player has a year under his belt before taking over for him.

stlrtruck
08-21-2008, 08:10 PM
I don't see the Steelers using the Franchise tag. THey haven't used it often (as far as I know) and it makes for better ownership and player relationships.

Steely McSmash
08-21-2008, 09:58 PM
this is what the steelers get for neglecting the O-line for so many years. they are doing the same with the D-line. it was a trend with the LB corps, but has recently been addressed/repaired. everything is snowballing now.

why the steelers constantly draft QBs, RBs, WRs and TEs instead of OL and DL, i will never understand. they need to draft serious picks aloing the offensive and defensive lines. acquiring hand-me-down players and late round picks isn't going to solve the problems.

I agree 100%.

When you go to the grocery store do you buy the best deal available or do you get what you need to make dinner? In this case we need bread and butter badly.

Steely McSmash
08-21-2008, 10:08 PM
I think they should sign him but for nowhere near Long type of money.

They've sort of dug a whole on the line since Smith, Starks and Essex are up for contracts at the same time. They need to sign somebody unless it's Colon/Hills in '09. Until they sign some of these guys the agents are going to have more leverage.

Keep in mind that Smith's contract does not have to have a huge signing bonus. It could have a large portion of the bonus for being on the team at the beginning of next season for example. That way if he lays an egg this year we can cut him with a smaller hit.

Steel Pit
08-21-2008, 10:58 PM

What???? Exceptional player??? It's been 3 or 4 years since Marvel has played anything close to "exceptional".

A bit of advice to you, purchase DirecTv's "NFL Sunday Ticket".

Steelman16
08-22-2008, 12:35 AM
I agree 100%.

When you go to the grocery store do you buy the best deal available or do you get what you need to make dinner? In this case we need bread and butter badly.

Well, with food prices the way they are these days.... :chuckle:

I don't think Marvel will be back with us next season. It will probably hurt us, but I just don't see it happening. IF Marvel wants to stay, he'd need to earn it first, NOT say "If I don't get an extention very soon, I won't be back next year."

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2008, 12:49 AM

What?......they have drafted Colon, Kemo, Essex, Hills lately for the O line and guys like McBean, Orien Harris, Shawn Nua, on the D-line......why question what the Front office does??

tony hipchest
08-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Look at he title of the article....if thats not threatening to leave, I don't know what is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers on brink of losing key player
By Captain Obvious
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 21, 2008

:hunch:

tony hipchest
08-22-2008, 01:36 AM

why the steelers constantly draft QBs ben roethlisberger, RBsrashard mendenhall, WRssantonio holmes and TEsheath miller instead of OL and DL, i will never understand. they need to draft serious picks aloing the offensive and defensive lines. acquiring hand-me-down players and late round picks isn't going to solve the problems.like you noted they also needed to draft serious picks in the lb and cb area. how do you feel about alanzo jackson and ricardo colclough? are you gonna give the steelers credit for addressing those obvious needs?

steelers do pretty well when it comes to drafting the best player available (i will add troy polamalu and lamar woodley to those bolded above).

im really sorry that players like ryan mcbean or orien harris havent panned out. i really am.

if the steelers had drafted serious picks along the dl and ol's we would still have the same results, but with a whole different group of fans complaining that we didnt address the obvious needs of jeromes departure, plax and el, hope, bruener, yada yada yada.

as far as the draft goes players like harrison (team mvp), parker (nfl rushing leader until injured) nate washington, and dan kreider were all undrafted.

rome wasnt built in a day and neether were the steelers. the regime that let vincent and ross (the same that held on to okolbi) have been let go.

and what team drafts to replace kimo, smith, and hampton when you have players like kiesel and hoke waiting in the wings?

Elvis
08-22-2008, 05:13 AM
With yesterdays signing of LB James Farrior intrenched in my mind, I really dont understand the steelers situation with not getting smith under an extension is beyond me. Marvell Smith is a very important clog to our offensive line, or atleast what is left. Why give that extension to a 32 year old LB and let a LT... Left Tackle folks... leave after the season right in the middle of his prime?
Makes No Sense 2 Me
:noidea:

X-Terminator
08-22-2008, 05:52 AM
With yesterdays signing of LB James Farrior intrenched in my mind, I really dont understand the steelers situation with not getting smith under an extension is beyond me. Marvell Smith is a very important clog to our offensive line, or atleast what is left. Why give that extension to a 32 year old LB and let a LT... Left Tackle folks... leave after the season right in the middle of his prime?
Makes No Sense 2 Me

Maybe because he has to prove himself first after having 2 sub-par and injury-plagued seasons? :noidea:

I don't know, but I wouldn't be rushing to give an extension to a guy with that kind of recent history.

SteelMember
08-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Makes No Sense 2 Me

Simple.

Farrior has played, and played well.
Smith has not.

BlastFurnace
08-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Simple.

Farrior has played, and played well.
Smith has not.

I agree. I wouldn't extend Smith at all. Over 30 and a bad back...no way, no how.

He's been a good Steeler, but we need to look somewhere else if he is looking for his big payday.

Edman
08-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Farrior continues to play at a high level at 33 and makes plays for the Defense.

Marvel is part of a unit that has surrendered 99 sacks in two seasons. Hasn't played a full season in years, and has a bad back. Bad Back + Age + a rough sport like football is not a good recipe.

Like I said before, Marvel looked very vulnerable against the Bills Pass Rush, and had his lunch stolen by Jacksonville last year. The Steelers will be playing a lot of physical D-Lines this year with strong pass rushers. We can only hope Marvel can dig in one more time, much like Alan Faneca last year. Not to mention, Marvel has already said something in the media about his contract. Big Mistake when talking contract negotiations with the Rooneys.

SteelMember
08-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Farrior continues to play at a high level at 33 and makes plays for the Defense.

Marvel is part of a unit that has surrendered 99 sacks in two seasons. Hasn't played a full season in years, and has a bad back. Bad Back + Age + a rough sport like football is not a good recipe.

Like I said before, Marvel looked very vulnerable against the Bills Pass Rush, and had his lunch stolen by Jacksonville last year. The Steelers will be playing a lot of physical D-Lines this year with strong pass rushers. We can only hope Marvel can dig in one more time, much like Alan Faneca last year. Not to mention, Marvel has already said something in the media about his contract. Big Mistake when talking contract negotiations with the Rooneys.

Big mistake for anyone... especially the Rooney's.:wink02:

stlrtruck
08-22-2008, 12:32 PM
I think there is a big difference between a player that wants to be here and one that doesn't. The player that wants to be here mentions that he wants to be here and agrees that a deal will be reached. The player that doesn't makes similar comments but then goes to the media whining that his contract isn't being reviewed....blah, blah, blah....play the freakin' game and worry about the contract in the off season if you don't get one before the season starts.

steelreserve
08-22-2008, 01:06 PM
I think there is a big difference between a player that wants to be here and one that doesn't. The player that wants to be here mentions that he wants to be here and agrees that a deal will be reached. The player that doesn't makes similar comments but then goes to the media whining that his contract isn't being reviewed....blah, blah, blah....play the freakin' game and worry about the contract in the off season if you don't get one before the season starts.

Well yeah, but this at least isn't as bad as Faneca, with his bitching about "How can they expect me to actually play out the last year of my contract, it isn't fair; I could get hurt, so they're cheap and have no class" and so on. Screw that; you signed a deal. At least Smith seems to be willing to just do what we pay him for. Seems less detrimental to the team and more likely that we actually could get a deal done. Although like I said before, if Smith starts demanding to be paid like a quarterback, he can go somewhere else.

Give It To Abercrombie
08-22-2008, 01:55 PM

Like the Eagles, who draft nothing but big fat guys in the first two rounds every year? Look at the success they have because of it. No food left at the buffet table and a team full of wide receivers who can't catch and the most overrated QB in the league. Sign me up. :thumbsup:

Do I want a better line? Of course, would I like to see a first or second rounder be a lineman? Sure. Do I demand they draft for need? Of course not. :tt02:

lilyoder6
08-22-2008, 02:28 PM
b/c u still need playmakers.. if u lose a playmaker u need to get 1 back..

Alva Lord
08-22-2008, 02:47 PM
If Marvel is healthy and proves it this year then I say give him a new deal. To pay him before he proves he's recoverd from the back problems isn't good business.
Marvel's health status is precisely why the Steelers placed the transition tag on Starks.

There in lies a real dilemma for the team come next off season. Marvel is in the final year of his contract and he and Starks will be free agents next off season.

At this time I wonder if they're going to wait until the end of the pre season to determine if Marvel is worth extending. If they don't then that puts them in a very precarious position heading into the 2009 season. There's no way that they think Starks is a worthy candidate to replace him, especially knowing he has to protect their 102 million dollar QB's blind side. IMO, they'd be wise to extend Marvel and then draft his replacement next April. They'd be wise to let Starks walk because there is no way they can justify paying him what he would command, especially for a guy that can't beat out a first year, (now second year) player for a job he once held.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2008, 02:59 PM
I honestly think Smith is a good LT and has at least 4 good seasons left in him, but dont think the front office will offer him a deal.

I also think Starks has shown himself to be just a backup and will also be gone next season.

The solution I see for 2009 is either draft #1 a rookie LT to watch Ben's blindside, which isnt the best option. Or....use the 13million in the departing salaries of Smith and Starks to go after an experienced LT.

Who is gonna hit the free agent LT market this offseason?? Does anybody have a list somewhere??

The Duke
08-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Who is gonna hit the free agent LT market this offseason?? Does anybody have a list somewhere??

that's exactly what worries me. who? who is out there that can be at least an above average LT

if starks and smith both leave in 09 then an LT has to be drafted in either roound 1 or 2. but it's unlikely they play him from the beginning

hopefully someone else steps up(hills)

Alva Lord
08-22-2008, 03:17 PM
I honestly think Smith is a good LT and has at least 4 good seasons left in him, but dont think the front office will offer him a deal.

I also think Starks has shown himself to be just a backup and will also be gone next season.

The solution I see for 2009 is either draft #1 a rookie LT to watch Ben's blindside, which isnt the best option. Or....use the 13million in the departing salaries of Smith and Starks to go after an experienced LT.

I disagree that they'd go after a free agent LT. Given the Steelers history as it relates to free agency that's highly unlikely to happen. On top of that good LT's are too valuable and teams rarely allow them to sniff free agency before signing them to an extension, especially teams with a right handed QB.

I do agree that drafting a rookie LT to start is not the answer either. Not when you have a 102 million dollar QB depending on him to protect his blind side. I was envious when the browns drafted LT, Joe Thomas. Rookie LT's like him are rare.

Like I've said, It would behoove the Steelers to re-sign Marvel if he is indeed healthy and then draft his replacement to be groomed by Marvel.

Starks was, is and always will be nothing more than a pussified, slow footed sloth. The only reason why Colon beat him out is because Colon has a nasty disposition and Starks doesn't.

Edman
08-24-2008, 12:02 PM
I think last night's game against Minnesota is proof that they shouldn't extend Marvel, I witnessed another mediocre performance by Smith.

Willie Colon can pack his bags too. He's a guard playing tackle.

The Duke
08-24-2008, 12:37 PM
I think last night's game against Minnesota is proof that they shouldn't extend Marvel, I witnessed another mediocre performance by Smith.

Willie Colon can pack his bags too. He's a guard playing tackle.

yea, things aren't looking good for marvel. I don't think he'll get a contract before september 7

if he turns it around during the regular season though, he may get one next year. but as of right now, nope