PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu hits higher gear

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-21-2008, 04:12 AM
Polamalu hits higher gear
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 21, 2008

Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu, who missed all of training camp because of a hamstring injury, was extremely active Wednesday. He was on the practice field longer than his Tuesday session and received more reps with the first-team defense. Polamalu took a tumble with rookie tight end Dezmond Sherrod while defending a pass, but he jumped right to his feet and continued playing.

Linebacker James Farrior said the Steelers will make a better showing in their third game of the preseason against Minnesota on Saturday night because the players will be more focused.

"You can make a whole lot of different excuses, but we just didn't play (well) last week," Farrior said of the Steelers' 24-21 loss to Buffalo. "There's more of a sense of urgency now that we saw that you just can't turn it off and on. It's a process that you go through, and I think everybody understands that after that last game when we played bad."

The oldest Steelers player said he still has some football left in him. Defensive lineman Orpheus Roye, 35, was a 1996 sixth-round draft pick of the Steelers who spent the bulk of his NFL career with the Cleveland Browns. He's coming off a knee injury that slowed his performance last season.

"The injury wasn't major," Roye said. "It was just something minor. I was able to correct that and get back to training and rehab and get it strong."

Coach Mike Tomlin is a fan of having three quarterbacks on the roster. That means the Steelers will in all likelihood retain veteran Byron Leftwich and fifth-round draft pick Dennis Dixon behind starter Ben Roethlisberger.

"We've got some options there," Tomlin said. "I just like a guy (Dixon) developing."

Safety Ryan Mundy (ankle) and linebacker Mike Humpal (stinger) missed another day of practice yesterday.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_584055.html

Galax Steeler
08-21-2008, 04:37 AM
That is good news that Troy is starting to show he is back to full strength running all over the field and flying to the ball.

stlrtruck
08-21-2008, 04:42 AM
That is good news that Troy is starting to show he is back to full strength running all over the field and flying to the ball.

I'd rather he control himself right now and keep it all inside until Sept 7. Then start getting all crazy, flying all over the place Tazmanian devlish.

Dino 6 Rings
08-21-2008, 08:34 AM
I would actually sit him another week and let him get as much rest as possibly. He is the key on our defense. Without him, things just aren't the same on that side of the ball.

HometownGal
08-21-2008, 08:49 AM
I would actually sit him another week and let him get as much rest as possibly. He is the key on our defense. Without him, things just aren't the same on that side of the ball.

I agree Dino. I hope he isn't rushed back as hammy injuries are so easy to recur if they aren't given enough time to totally heal up.

However, it will be so good to see our Troy back on that field smashing opponents like a Mack truck. :tt03:

Edman
08-21-2008, 11:06 AM
A Healthy Troy makes all the difference in this Defense, really. We've all seen what he's capable of.

stillers4me
08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
He needs to play abit Saturday and then get him outa' there. I've a got a gut feeling that the 'ole Troy is back in town................

19ward86
08-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Troy is back in town, the Troy is back in towowowwown! Billy Joel anybody???

Preacher
08-21-2008, 12:06 PM
I think he needs to see about two, maybe three series... and then be done. Give him the same next week. Just enough that he gets the feel for it again.

revefsreleets
08-21-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm telling you, those weird-assed exercises he does out in Cali are gonna pay dividents this year...

steeltheone
08-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Thet better for the buck he is getting paid!

rbryan
08-21-2008, 12:34 PM

Thin Lizzy

SteelMember
08-21-2008, 12:39 PM

I'm with you, but I think you mean, Thin Lizzy. :guitar:

Damn refresh. You got it rbryan.

Atlanta Dan
08-21-2008, 01:43 PM

Actually Thin Lizzy:chuckle:

Won't be long till fall is here, now that Troy is back in town

Steelman16
08-22-2008, 01:44 AM
Welcome back Troy! I'll be lookin' forward to the play I'm used to seein' from #43!

Elvis
08-22-2008, 06:21 AM
Nice read. I just hope that he doesnt over do it and get hurt again. But that is Troys' style I guess. I am just glad to hear that he is back and playing.
:coffee:

The Duke
08-22-2008, 06:36 AM
Nice read. I just hope that he doesnt over do it and get hurt again. But that is Troys' style I guess. I am just glad to hear that he is back and playing.
:coffee:

we can only hope his training at california helps him with that

troy could have his best season ever, or he could have his worst year ever plagued with injuries

I'm hoping for the first one obviously :tt03:

we'll see. it'll be interesting to see what the tazmanian devil does this year

X-Terminator
08-22-2008, 06:49 AM
My, my, my, how the tune has changed around here. All I read a couple weeks back was how Troy is still hurt, his best years are behind him, blah, blah, blah. :coffee:

Patience, people - Troy is nowhere near "done." I believe he is going to bounce back strong and shut up the naysayers...again...just as he did after his rookie season when many Steelers fans declared him a bust.

Alva Lord
08-22-2008, 06:19 PM
I know I'm concerned that he's becoming high maintenance. Even though he's capable of being a game changing player he needs to play more than eight to nine games a season to help this team out.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Troy's last INT.....October 22, 2006 against the Falcons

Troy's last sack.....November 19, 2006 against the Browns

These streaks must come to an end......Yes injuries have limited Troy the past few years....But Hines Ward hasn't been the most healthy player the past two years either and he still produced....Not Ward in his prime production....But still solid production....

This is a pivotal year for Troy...He needs to stay healthy and make an impact within this defense.....I can only hope he regains his 2004 and 2005 form....