PDA

View Full Version : Gene Upshaw Passes Away

Elvis
08-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Just anouned on Mike&Mike in the morning that he has passed away of Pancreatic Cancer..
Please remember his families in prayers and thoughts

HometownGal
08-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Here's the story on Mr. Upshaw's passing. RIP Gene. :tombstone Prayers going out to his family, friends and the entire Oakland Raiders organization. Like him or not, he was one tough hombre.

http://kdka.com/sports/Gene.Upshaw.NFL.2.800009.html

NFL Executive Director Gene Upshaw Dies At 63

NEW YORK (AP) ― Gene Upshaw, the Hall of Fame guard who as union head helped get NFL players free agency and the riches that came with it, has died. He was 63.

Upshaw's death was announced by the NFL Players Association, which he headed for a quarter century.

His outstanding 15-season playing career was entirely with the Oakland Raiders and included two Super Bowl wins and seven Pro Bowl appearances.

In 1983, he became executive director of the players' association and guided it through the 1987 strike that led to replacement football. By 1989, the players had a limited form of freedom, called Plan B, and in 1993, free agency and a salary cap were instituted.

Since then, the players have prospered so much that NFL owners recently opted out of the latest labor contract, which was negotiated two years ago by Upshaw and then-commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

Edman
08-21-2008, 09:24 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80a28802&template=with-video&confirm=true

It's true.

He may have been controversial as the NFLPA executive director, but be was also a human being , a great football player, and one of the famous faces of the Raiders organization. RIP Gene and best of luck to his family.

PisnNapalm
08-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Now perhaps the NFLPA will get someone better in there.

SteelCityMan786
08-21-2008, 10:34 AM
It's tough to believe it, but the man was a hell of a rep. RIP Gene

fansince'76
08-21-2008, 11:05 AM
I didn't realize he was so ill. He always seemed to be very healthy to me. RIP, Gene. And prayers and condolences to his family and friends.

Atlanta Dan
08-21-2008, 11:51 AM
RIP and condolences to his family

From a Steelers-Raiders rivalry standpoint, it didn't get any better than Upshaw and Fats Holmes battling (on the 1974 Steelers America's Game program Joe Greene tells how Holmes is yelling "Eugene ... Upshaw!" while Upshaw is in the huddle and when Upshaw turns around Ernie yells "I'm gonna kick your ass" :sofunny:) Now both are gone

On a labor relations front, Upshaw's passing adds one more variable to the looming train wreck of the oweners opting out of the CBA and negotiating a new deal.

Preacher
08-21-2008, 11:58 AM
My condolences to his family...

I do wonder what the affect on the next contract will be.

revefsreleets
08-21-2008, 12:14 PM
I think we can reasonably expect an NBA-type rookie contract in the near future...

RoethlisBURGHer
08-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Wow, was it ever announced that he was ill?

This is a sad day in the NFL, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, the Oakland Raiders, and the rest of the NFL.

xfl2001fan
08-21-2008, 02:07 PM
What a sad occurrence. He did as much to put the NFL on the Global market as anybody. He was a great players rep.

tony hipchest
08-21-2008, 08:13 PM
props to nfl network (and sirius radio all day) paying him hommage. i really like the all the raider's "americas game". (the 1980 one features upshaw which they are currently showing).

condolences to his family, raidernation and our own board's raider rep, s&b.

Texasteel
08-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Wow, was it ever announced that he was ill?

This is a sad day in the NFL, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, the Oakland Raiders, and the rest of the NFL.

I don't remember hearing or reading anything about his illness either.

silver & black
08-21-2008, 08:41 PM
props to nfl network (and sirius radio all day) paying him hommage. i really like the all the raider's "americas game". (the 1980 one features upshaw which they are currently showing).

condolences to his family, raidernation and our own board's raider rep, s&b.

Thanks tony. Like many others, I never knew he was ill.

No matter what I may have thought of him as head of the NFLPA... he was a hell of a football player, and I loved watching him play.

stlrtruck
08-21-2008, 09:04 PM
RIP and prayers for his family.

We can only hope that the NFLPA doesn't find a replacement similar to Roger Good Deal or we'll all be screwed.

Stlrs4Life
08-21-2008, 10:22 PM
RI{P Gene.

Dynasty
08-22-2008, 12:32 AM
There was never any mention of him being sick because he had found out a few days ago. It said in the ESPN article that he was feeling pain and went to the ER, got diagnosed with cancer, and died a few days later.

The Duke
08-22-2008, 12:52 AM
We can only hope that the NFLPA doesn't find a replacement similar to Roger Good Deal or we'll all be screwed.

hopefully. and maybe they can eventually fix rookies contracts

There was never any mention of him being sick because he had found out a few days ago. It said in the ESPN article that he was feeling pain and went to the ER, got diagnosed with cancer, and died a few days later.

he found out recently? that sucks, but at least he didn't suffer much

still....RIP

Steelman16
08-22-2008, 02:04 AM
RIP Gene.

My prayers and thoughts go out to his family.

Galax Steeler
08-22-2008, 04:37 AM
Thoughts and prayers to the family R.I.P.

tony hipchest
08-22-2008, 05:37 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_584289.html

Dan Rooney and Gene Upshaw were on opposite sides of the negotiating table, but that never stopped them from being on opposite sides of the dinner table.

"When I had my 50th wedding anniversary, he and his wife Terri came," Rooney said. "He came to my father's and my mother's funeral.

"We had that kind of relationship, pretty close."

"He had the game at heart," Rooney said. "And that's what it gets down to, are we doing something that's going to hurt the game? He would never let that happen.
"Hopefully, there are people out there that will have the same attitude. They will not, obviously, have the same knowledge, the same background."

Atlanta Dan
08-22-2008, 06:31 PM
"He had the game at heart," Rooney said. "And that's what it gets down to, are we doing something that's going to hurt the game? He would never let that happen.
"Hopefully, there are people out there that will have the same attitude. They will not, obviously, have the same knowledge, the same background."http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_584289.html

Nothing lasts forever and the NFL may be heading for a tumble if the CBA is voided and the big market teams increase their competitive advantage, at which point we might see the NFL follow baseball down the road of the players increasing their salaries while only a half dozen teams regularly compete for the championship