PDA

View Full Version : Cowher not sounding too confident for this weeks game

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2005, 08:30 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5106238?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Ben Roethlisberger is expected to return Monday night in Indianapolis, a big lift for a Pittsburgh Steelers offense that didn't run well, complete many passes or put much pressure in losing to Baltimore last weekend.

The downside for the Steelers in one of their biggest games of the season: Peyton Manning will be at quarterback for the other team.
No wonder coach Bill Cowher said Tuesday the Steelers (7-3) can't begin to play at the level they did in a 16-13 overtime loss in Baltimore and hope to be competitive against a Colts offense that scored touchdowns on its first five possessions in beating Cincinnati 45-37. The Colts (10-0) had more offense in half a quarter than either the Steelers or Ravens did in 4 1/2 quarters.

That's why, perhaps for the first time in his 14 seasons as the Steelers' coach, Cowher conceded his team will be challenged merely to keep this game close, in a stadium that can be the NFL's loudest when the Colts offense is rolling.

Which, this season, has been about 90 percent of the time.

"That's the most important thing in my mind, to keep this game within striking distance," Cowher said, a more candid than usual comment for a coach who rarely concedes anything to any opponent. "If we can do that and not beat ourselves and not give up some of the big plays, make them do things methodically and slowly, the longer we can keep this thing going into the fourth quarter. Then it becomes a play here or a play there."

The Colts haven't scored fewer than 31 points in their last five games but, earlier this season, won successive close games against Jacksonville (10-3) and Cleveland (13-6). Manning also did little in a 28-10 loss to Pittsburgh in a 2002 Monday night game, though Cowher said the Colts have upgraded themselves on both sides of the ball.

If the Steelers dig deep into their history books, they can find some precedent for beating an unbeaten team that was considered a Super Bowl favorite, much like these Colts.

They dealt the eventual Super Bowl champion 49ers their only loss in 1984, during a season in which the Steelers unexpectedly reached the AFC championship game.

The Steelers also came close to upsetting the NFL's only unbeaten Super Bowl champions, the 1972 Miami Dolphins. They led much of the AFC title game before losing 21-17, in a game that turned on a long run by Dolphins punter Larry Seiple off a fake punt.

These Steelers should get a confidence boost from the return of Roethlisberger, who is 18-1 as an NFL starter but has missed three consecutive games and four of six with knee injuries. He is listed as probable.

However, Cowher said Roethlisberger needs to get back to game speed in a hurry after not playing since Oct. 31, a difficult challenge since two or three failed drives early in a game can allow the Colts' offense to build up a big lead.

"You watch that game last week, there were a number of third-and-9s, third-and-10s that they converted in the first couple of drives," Cowher said. "It can get demoralizing for a defense. And you keep giving them snaps with the playmakers they have, and a defense will eventually break down and they will make a big play."

To Cowher, the key is to consistently give Manning different looks defensively, never allowing him to determine in advance where the pressure is coming from or where the defense will be vulnerable on that play. The Patriots did exactly that in beating the Colts during each of their last two Super Bowl runs.

"Every defense you have, there is a void in there somewhere. He finds it," Cowher said. "The thing we've got to do is make the time for him to process all that a little shorter and to try to confuse him a little bit. You're not going to confuse him for a long period of time, but maybe just long enough to disrupt their passing game."

figg
11-22-2005, 09:12 PM
I noticed that too. I just think it's a motivation tactic by Cowher. Hopefully it works.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2005, 11:28 PM
I sure hope its a motivating factor cuz its depressing the hell outta me...

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-23-2005, 12:13 AM
we need the BUS, PARKER and STALEY to be active this monday, they should be our 3 backs......let Parker start it off. Bettis tire them out and then let Duce pla more later in the game

Avoid LLoyd1975
11-23-2005, 12:33 AM
It seems that the chin has sunk in a little bit. If I was him I would be loving the media on this matchup. I would be backing my team to the death. It seems that he has crawled under a shell right now.

BLEED BLUE
11-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Sounds like he knows there is no use. Smart MAN!

Suitanim
11-23-2005, 10:03 AM
The important thing is to bury Tommy on the bench...as deeply as possible...like on the bench in Heinz field for this game.

Our chances of winning with Ben are about even...the chances of the Steelers beating the Colts with Maddox are about as good as a meteor striking the person next to you and them dropping the winning mega millions lottery ticket.

JMM
11-23-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm sure he knows its going to take everything the team has to beat the Colts and it did sound like he was not blowing a lot of smoke. I like it. Doesn't offer a lot of bulletin board material.

If you listen to a lot of the top coaches w/ the best teams, especially in college ball, you would think they couldn't beat the local Community College.

I'd bet its a different Cowher behind the scenes.

steelcurtain101
11-23-2005, 10:38 AM
i think we should be worried about our secondary with the way we blitz leaving corners one on one manning is going to beat us up if we dont pick up people quick enough

Livinginthe past
11-23-2005, 03:15 PM
I think the Steelers will not try to out-Colt the Colts, which is basically what Cincinnati tried to do.

Even thought it has underperformed this year for the most part - the Steelers D is capable of raising its game and intensity to suit this occasion - a genuine pass rush will cause problems for the Colts O-Line - and with a bit of luck they may get called for 5% of their blatant offensive holding this game.

Defensively the Colts are just as bad as I (and many others) have been saying from the start of the season - if Big Ben is playing I really think that he can offer enough of a threat that the Colts wont be able to keep 8-in-the-box which is where the Steelers triple backfield threat comes in.

The Colts O is just as awesome in the regular season as it has always been - the key will be stopping Manning through the air - I believe that the Colts wont overpower the Steelers on the ground - this will be a great test for the young Steeler secondary.

Looking forward to a top-notch match up.

NM

pitt
11-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Everyone knows going into this game that its going to be hard. The Colts are undefeated for a reason. If we play Pittsburgh style football we should win this one though.

SalukiSteelers
11-23-2005, 04:33 PM
How could Cowher sound confident? Granted, the Steelers defense is better than Cincy's, but did you see the way the Colts destroyed the Bengals in the middle of the field?
Pittsburgh better get to Manning when they're going to blitz because if they don't, they're gonna get carved up.
I hope they don't, especially since I live by some Colts fans, but I could see it happening. Of course, I could also see the Steelers bouncing back and beating the Colts for their second win against a legitimate team.
Can't wait 'til Monday night.
Go Stillerz!

JMM
11-23-2005, 05:01 PM
He needs to take a look at what The Pats have done against Manning all those years. Too bad the game is in the dome rather than in the cold and snow.

Suitanim
11-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Better yet, see what Crennell's Browns did to stymie Peyton. They pretty much never got into defensive alignment until the ball was snapped, and kept Manning guessing the whole game...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Suit and JMM have good points..if there was ever a time to gameplan and switch up what you've been doing atleast alittle, especially on the defensive side of the ball its now. The Steelers constantly move guys around on the defense and show different formations, but the more we can make him guess and wait till the last second to line up the better. We need every advantage we can get..and contrary to what many teams think, you cant not blitz peyton.the teams that have got in his face, knocked him down, and frustrated him are the ones who have beaten or near beat them.

You have to be ready for single coverage on the WR's or atleast little help from the safeties, but if u can get to manning, he'll throw some pics and bad balls but you have to get in his face.

Nobody in the league can just sit back and wait, he'll pick u apart!

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2005, 01:49 PM
We Got An upset coming. Bill will see his team win on Monday Night indoors like they will on February 5 in Deroit.

Black-n-Gold
11-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Special teams is one of the biggest factors in the Ravens game. They gave the Ravens great field position almost everytime. This along with protecting Ben will turn this game into our favor. Reading other forums the only ones talking trash are the Bungles, or Patriot fans coming to colts boards and degrading Pittsburgh. Their fans honestly believe they'll kill us on Monday and are talking about the Jags game they have coming up..

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Special teams is one of the biggest factors in the Ravens game. They gave the Ravens great field position almost everytime. This along with protecting Ben will turn this game into our favor. Reading other forums the only ones talking trash are the Bungles, or Patriot fans coming to colts boards and degrading Pittsburgh. Their fans honestly believe they'll kill us on Monday and are talking about the Jags game they have coming up..

Good Point. Stan was saying that we need to blame Gardocki a little bit. 2 Bad Punts To Start Let to Golden Scoring opportunites for the Ratbirds.

NYSTEEL
11-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Knock Pretty Boy Peyton on his ass a few times, then we will see how great the colts offense is. We all know Peytons chokeability in big games....

shevdog
11-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Regardless of the odds and situations on O & D on both sides of the field, team records, etc, the Steelers have got to get this win.

Can the Offensive Line tighen up for the Steelers? It will. Will Big Ben bring his "A" game. Count on it. Will the Colts do what they can to expose the Steelers secondary. They sure will. Just remember that Cincy, a team that scored 37 against Indie, ony scored 13 against the Steelers.

Steelers gave up a season high 23 points against the Jags in week 6. [Final score 23-17] Jags only gave up 10 point in their loss to the Colts. [Final score 10-3]. So what does this mean? Probably nothing. If anything, it can show that anything is possible,

I think the Steelers will give the Colts a good defensive battle. I didn't think the Patsies were going to be able to stop the Colts in the playoffs last year, yet they did. I'm hoping the Steelers defense bring on plenty of fustration to the Colt offense. I'm certain that's not a pipe dream. In the end, it is all about the Steeler's offense executing their game plan. The Steelers offense in the past two weeks it has been shakey.

Steelers get this win and the playoff picture is a bit shaken up... And the Bus miles closer to Detriot. This is definately good practice for the 2005 AFC Championship game.

shevdog
11-25-2005, 02:40 PM
We Got An upset coming. Bill will see his team win on Monday Night indoors like they will on February 5 in Deroit.

I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!:tt: