PDA

View Full Version : Byron or Batch?

steelin games
08-23-2008, 10:01 PM
I like Batch as much as the next guy, but Byron has a hell of an arm. He could be one of the best back ups in the league.

jammer699
08-23-2008, 10:13 PM
see ya charlie!!!!

Welcome To Smashmouth
08-23-2008, 10:17 PM
I was a little dissapointed by seeing one of our stud players under-utilized in the game against Minnesota,but think Ijust may have figured out why it was we didn't put Dixon in against the vikings.

With Ben as our solid #1 option, and batch injured, i really and truly believe at the moment the orginazation is giving Leftwich an opportunity as to whether or not its going to be him or Batch on of our 3 Quarterback options.

I'm with Dierdorf when he said during the game "Dixon makes this organization, no doubt about it,and preseason game 2 against the bills helps back our opinion. At the moment we've got 4 options that i believe can and will still perform at a high level in the national football league, but theres one odd man left out.

Is it Roeth -- Dixon -- Leftwich??
Is it Roeth -- Dixon -- Batch???

What's your consensus my friends???

SteelersTilIDie
08-23-2008, 10:25 PM
i vote leftwich

Atlanta Dan
08-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Dixon is the next St. Pierre as far as this season is concerned and Leftwich needs the work

IMO Batch goes on IR

LVSteelersfan
08-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Leftwitch showed tonight he should be the one. He had some dropped but it was mostly by Dallas Baker (who blew his chance to make the squad) If the receivers hang onto the darts by Leftwitch (heaven forbid we really need him) then he is serviceable and I think he is better than Charlie. Charlie was ok but not spectacular. I think Leftwitch's youth keeps him in Pittsburgh as Ben's backup for a couple years until Dixon is ready to go.

Steelman16
08-23-2008, 10:58 PM
If Lefty has another solid performance, he'll be the #2 for the season and Batch will go on IR.

stillers4me
08-23-2008, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Leftwich on the the field for half of every game.......after we're up by 30 or 40 points and Ben gets to be head cheerleader!

MACH1
08-24-2008, 02:46 AM
With a healthy Batch, I'd take him any day over leftwich!

Aussie_steeler
08-24-2008, 03:07 AM
I dont mind either. When healthy either one would be a good option at #2.

I just hope the FO can be creative and get some value for the odd man out when that time arrives. They are too good just to cut.

Preacher
08-24-2008, 03:14 AM
Right now.. I gotta say Byron. Batch didn't look that good last year, and then is hurt this pre-season.

Again.. Put him on IR this year and let him come back and compete for a position next year at camp.

Galax Steeler
08-24-2008, 07:02 AM
Gotta go with Leftwich he is looking pretty solid at no.2

xfl2001fan
08-24-2008, 07:05 AM
The important question to ask is:

Will Leftwich look for a starting role next season? If Batch goes on the IR, then you're safe, because you still have an intelligent backup for next season. But what if Batch wants to come back and wants his job? Do you take the chance that Byron will not go elsewhere next season for more money?

Because if Batch is cut to keep Byron...and next season Byron walks, you're left with Dixon and...

St33lersguy
08-24-2008, 07:12 AM
That's hard to say, Batch is up there in age, has a broken collorbone,and didn't perform up to par last year and leftwich is okay but I have a problem with hisextreme lack of mobility and slow throwing motion, but he did look good last year with that 2-minute drill. hmmm. I'll go Leftwich for backup.

HometownGal
08-24-2008, 08:08 AM
How many more threads like this are we going to have? :doh:

No doubt about it for me. Lefty. THIS SEASON, he gives the Steelers the best chance to win if Ben goes down. At this point, I'm only concerned with the present and the chips will fall where they may after this season is concluded, hopefully with Lombardi #6. :tt02:

Kaeg
08-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Yea, I'd say IR Batch and keep Byron this year, but I think Byron will leave next year if he gets any time on the field to prove himself this year, so we need to keep Batch waiting in the wings....or maybe look in the off season for a FA #2 QB.

Texasteel
08-24-2008, 08:26 AM
That's hard to say, Batch is up there in age, has a broken collorbone,and didn't perform up to par last year and leftwich is okay but I have a problem with hisextreme lack of mobility and slow throwing motion, but he did look good last year with that 2-minute drill. hmmm. I'll go Leftwich for backup.

Where Leftwich is not a scrambling QB he does move inside the pocket to protect himself. I noticed last night that he seemed way more comfortable in the pocket, and moved around much better.
His throwing motion is something that we are stuck with, but his arm strength help to negate that a little.
I would go with Leftwich, if we can't get him back next year, well I like Charlie but I don't think anyone is going to rush to give him a contract, and we could probable get him back, or keep him hidden on IR.

SteelersJW
08-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Leftwich had a hell of a game last night and threw almost every pass right on target. Unfortunately, some of those were dropped. Does anyone know how much he is getting paid? If it's less than Charlie was going to make that's a great deal for an above average backup QB who could easily start on another team.

All hail Ben....

Alva Lord
08-24-2008, 09:06 AM
LOL! I was getting grief last week because I didn't jump all over the, "Charlie Batch is a Pittsburgh native, a terrific guy and a selfless teammate" band wagon.

HometownGal
08-24-2008, 09:12 AM
LOL! I was getting grief last week because I didn't jump all over the, "Charlie Batch is a Pittsburgh native, a terrific guy and a selfless teammate" band wagon.

You didn't get that from me. I love Charlie as a person and a teamer, but I strongly feel that Lefty gives us the better chance to win games when called upon to do so. He's looked quite impressive thus far, imho, and we're lucky to have landed him so cheaply at least short term. Beyond this season, who knows, but I'm not concerned with that right now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Dixon is the next St. Pierre as far as this season is concerned and Leftwich needs the work

IMO Batch goes on IR

My thoughts exactly.

cubanstogie
08-24-2008, 10:35 AM
If Ben went down in the playoffs who would you want. My answer is Leftwich. Charlie could manage a game pretty well, but if we needed a win against a quality opponent Leftwich would be my pick. Face it, Ben will not play every down or game for that matter with our o line. We will need all 3 qb's this year in my opinion. Leftwich has more explosiveness than Charlie. He is still young and has more upside than Batch. I said it before Batch was a great sign for us and earned every penny but its time to move on. Its a moot point anyway, Charlie is not going to play for us again. He is older, injured and we drafted a QB in the 5th round. Ben, Leftwich, Diixon on the depth chart. IMO

Preacher
08-24-2008, 11:47 AM
of course, if this were a Browns board...

we would talk about signing Lefty to a longer term contract and then trading him for a first and a third next year...

Yeah, they were REALLY saying that about D.A. in the offseason! :rolleyes:

19ward86
08-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I like Batch from an "extra coach" standpoint but i think Leftwich is a guy who can make big plays with that strong arm unlike Batch who is better at picking apart the defense by small pieces.

PalmerSteel
08-24-2008, 12:36 PM
love batch, but its gotta be lefty. will have to cut batch if he wants to play this year. hopefully we wont see lefty playing at all this year. that will mean a healthy ben all year and we could resign lefty for cheap. if lefty does want too much to stay next year, it will be time for dixon to be the backup. the kid has the skillz, just not game ready this year.

SteelRoots86
08-24-2008, 02:00 PM

IMO Batch goes on IR
Well I agree Charlie Batch may well go on IR. However the news seems to be that he is progressing faster than expected. I guess we'll see. As far as Dixon being compared to St. Pierre I couldn't disagree more St Pierre was never meant to even smell the field during the regular season in his first year. On the other hand I think we will see Dixon play during the regular season at least in some designed gadget plays. This kid has more talent, skills and ability in his little finger than St, Pierre ever hoped to have in his entire body. As far as Leftwich is concerned has anyone considered the fact that this kid doesn't want to be a backup beyond this year? I have my doubts that he will be willing to sign a contract beyond this year that doesn't give him the ability to at least compete for a starting job, especially if he does get on the field and has any success.
:noidea:

skinart82
08-24-2008, 02:14 PM
I love how comfortable Leftwich was in the pocket last night. Besides the strong arm, the fact that pounding footsteps all around him didn't throw him off a bit, that's what sold me! Charlie is great and a pittsburgh native, but I didn't think we would keep him past this year anyway, not with Dixon being drafted.

HometownGal
08-24-2008, 03:06 PM
As far as Leftwich is concerned has anyone considered the fact that this kid doesn't want to be a backup beyond this year? I have my doubts that he will be willing to sign a contract beyond this year that doesn't give him the ability to at least compete for a starting job, especially if he does get on the field and has any success.

Right now, Lefty is very content in his role as Ben's backup and that's all that matters. We need to get through this season before worrying about the what ifs of next season, imho. If Lefty is called upon to play, I believe he can do the job and do it well.

Think about the awesome mentors Dixon has not only in Ken Anderson, but in both Ben and Leftwich. :applaudit::thumbsup:

fansince'76
08-24-2008, 03:08 PM
As far as Leftwich is concerned has anyone considered the fact that this kid doesn't want to be a backup beyond this year? I have my doubts that he will be willing to sign a contract beyond this year that doesn't give him the ability to at least compete for a starting job, especially if he does get on the field and has any success.

Good point - that's why I'm hoping they can find a way to keep Batch as well - including putting him on IR for this season if need be. I can't shake the nagging thought that Leftwich is auditioning for a shot at a starting role somewhere else. There are 102 million reasons he'll never get that shot with the Steelers anytime soon.

KeiselPower99
08-24-2008, 06:36 PM
I want Leftwich. He is younger and has the better arm. I like Charlie but Byron is more suited for this offense if Ben would go down.

lilyoder6
08-24-2008, 08:02 PM
bryon would be better in the long run as he is younger.. but dixon is playing very well and could take over number 2 sooner than later

stlrtruck
08-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Lefty needs to take a few MPHs off his throws. I saw a couple of throws that I thought the WR was about to have his arms ripped off.

SteelMember
08-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Lefty needs to take a few MPHs off his throws. I saw a couple of throws that I thought the WR was about to have his arms ripped off.

I've read and kinda agree with the fact his windup is so slow it gives a DB more time to look and jump the routes. His velocity is making up for it. He does throw hard, no doubt.

Alva Lord
08-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Precisely. Leftwich has no touch. He throws the ball as hard to a receiver ten yards from him as he does thirty yards.

HometownGal
08-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Precisely. Leftwich has no touch. He throws the ball as hard to a receiver ten yards from him as he does thirty yards.

I've said that from day one. He and Kenny most definitely need to work on that touch.

Look at the bright side, though. At least he can throw a ball accurately thirty yards. Charlie couldn't. :chuckle:

Texasteel
08-25-2008, 02:25 PM

If he had great touch we sure as heck would have him here as the #2 gut. He'd be starting in Chicago.

JPPT1974
08-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Byron seems to be a better backup like Batch
Also he is younger!

Alva Lord
08-25-2008, 04:56 PM
If he had great touch we sure as heck would have him here as the #2 gut. He'd be starting in Chicago.
:laughing: Nah. Chicago wouldn't know what to do with him. They're so QB challenged that they wouldn't know a quality QB if you gave them one.

Stillers43
08-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Batch is getting older and coming off an injury when he returns. I say keep him on the IR all year. Let Leftwich be the #2 this year and see what he has. My personal feeling is if he is healthy Leftwich is the better option. Dixon is #3

DACEB
08-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Batch is getting older and coming off an injury when he returns. I say keep him on the IR all year.

I say the same thing, but mainly because I don't want to see Batch end up in N.E.!

The Pats are in dire need of a backup, and Lefty might not be around in '09. Keep Batch on IR, pay him for his services and make sure we're set with Dixon before releasing him this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-26-2008, 10:16 AM
I've read and kinda agree with the fact his windup is so slow it gives a DB more time to look and jump the routes. His velocity is making up for it. He does throw hard, no doubt.

Yeah, but the opposite is true of Batch. Quicker delivery, but no velocity on the ball. I say Leftwich makes the roster and Batch is put on IR.