PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Umenyiora has season-ending surgery

Edman
08-24-2008, 02:52 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/08/source_umenyiora_to_undergo_su.html

The Giants Defense just took a tremendous hit.

fansince'76
08-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Ugh. Another positive from our game last night - no serious injuries for either team (at least that I've heard of). That sucks.

tony hipchest
08-24-2008, 02:59 PM
ouch. poor dude and poor giants. their division is tough enough as it is and they werent even favored to win it.

and strahan looks way too happy to pull a favre.

EDIT: i just read his respons scrolling in the crawl and it sounds like he may atleast consider it (if and when contacted)

kmsteelerwr15
08-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Too bad for the Giants, that is a HUGE loss

Well that'll help the o-line out a little in our game aginast that

X-Terminator
08-24-2008, 03:20 PM
This is the fear I have going into every pre-season, and why I can understand why a lot of veteran players don't particularly care for the games. Tough, tough loss for the Giants.

The Duke
08-24-2008, 03:23 PM
dammit. I hate preseason

poor osi. the guy has my respect after beating the pats

as a side note, week 7 got easier

but this still sucks :mad:

HometownGal
08-24-2008, 03:37 PM
What a HUGE blow to the Giants D. I won't be too surprised to see Strahan putting the pads on again and getting out there on that field.

stillers4me
08-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Ugh. Another positive from our game last night - no serious injuries for either team (at least that I've heard of). That sucks.

My sentiments exactly. We can argue all day about how the games are played, but I'm just wanting to get through preseason with all our players healthy and in one piece. Charlie's broken collarbone was just too close for comfort.........the next crisis may not be so easily remedied.

One more to go.................... :drink:

fansince'76
08-24-2008, 04:10 PM
My sentiments exactly. We can argue all day about how the games are played, but I'm just wanting to get through preseason with all our players healthy and in one piece. Charlie's broken collarbone was just too close for comfort.........the next crisis may not be so easily remedied.

One more to go.................... :drink:

Yep, we got through the main "dress rehearsal" preseason game relatively unscathed. Next week should be fine - one series for the starters (if that long) and then the backups and "bubble" players take the field. :drink:

Atlanta Dan
08-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Tough hit for Giants - preseason injuries are brutal - when I first saw Foote getting hit from behind last night I was afraid he had injured his achilles tendon

Strahan has a good TV gig and went out on top like Betttis - I doubt he is anywhere close to gameday conditioning and assume he will stay out

Steelman16
08-24-2008, 04:29 PM
That's really horrible news for the Giants. I like Osi alot too. I'll bet Strahan will be in pads by next week.

lilyoder6
08-24-2008, 08:08 PM
that rly sucks 4 the g-men... lost there best 2 de's this yr.. and i doubt strahan would be rdy 4 the season.. it doesn't seem he has worked out at all this offseason

RoethlisBURGHer
08-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Wow that's horrible, he's one of my favorite non-Steelers.

I wouldn't be surprised if they asked Strahan to come back for one more season.

After this preseason's injury list, especially two broken necks, I think that the NFL seriously needs to take away some preseason games. I can live with just two. There is no reason for guys to have season, career, and life threatening injuries in games that don't count.

Galax Steeler
08-25-2008, 04:01 AM
This is really going to hurt the Giants D this year he is a major player on that side of the ball it will be interesting to see what they will do to replace him.

rbryan
08-25-2008, 08:28 AM
The first thing I thought about when I saw this was please do not play the starters next week for anymore than a series or two if at all. We've come out of camp/preseason relatively healthy so far....lets keep it that way.

Dino 6 Rings
08-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Let me think...they are on our schedule and they now have 2 starting d-linemen from the SB winning team not playing.

Good. More of a chance for MY Team to win. I have no mercy for anyone on the other side of the field. He'll be back in 09, it isn't like his career is over.

Merrimen for the Chargers is out too, we play them too, good. Glad he's off the field.

J. Taylor for the Skins, hopefully he never recovers this season so we don't have to worry about him either.

No Mercy. The rule is, the last one standing wins.

SteelCityMan786
08-25-2008, 10:51 AM
What a HUGE blow to the Giants D. I won't be too surprised to see Strahan putting the pads on again and getting out there on that field.

:iagree:

If Strahan doesn't come back, then Giants are in for a long season.

missedgehead
08-25-2008, 05:53 PM
As a Giants fan, I am heartbroken. Michael, come back. PLEASE

NJarhead
08-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Last I heard was that the Giants offered him 6 million. Strahan is in Greece (?) and said, "8 million and a few kind words and I'll be back" (he DID go through a divorce ya know) ....something to that effect. I'll bet anyone that he'll be in a Giants uniform by week one...., and I have no issues with that, nor is it any comparison to "As the Favre turns."

klick81
08-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Let me think...they are on our schedule and they now have 2 starting d-linemen from the SB winning team not playing.

Good. More of a chance for MY Team to win. I have no mercy for anyone on the other side of the field. He'll be back in 09, it isn't like his career is over.

Merrimen for the Chargers is out too, we play them too, good. Glad he's off the field.

J. Taylor for the Skins, hopefully he never recovers this season so we don't have to worry about him either.

No Mercy. The rule is, the last one standing wins.

Under normal circumstances, this is my mentality (assuming they're not career ending injuries). HOWEVER, these teams also play the Cheatriots. Anything that makes their cakewalk of a season easier is a detriment to the rest of the NFL, IMO.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-26-2008, 01:02 PM
I think Strahan will be back. I think he retired with the mentality of "I won't be back unless the Giants truly need me".

lilyoder6
08-26-2008, 03:47 PM
but has he rly worked out at all this off-season??? if he has then thats good and he'll be rdy.. but if not.. how long would it take 4 him to get back into nfl shape??? not in time 4 the season opeaner

The Duke
08-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Well, strahan turned them down

The New York Giants' dream solution for a gaping hole at defensive end was put to bed on Tuesday.

Michael Strahan told Foxsports.com on Tuesday that he thought long and hard about returning to the field but decided to remain retired.

"This has been one of the toughest nights of my life," Strahan told the Web site from his vacation in Greece. "But after long deliberation and throwing around a million scenarios in my head for the past day, I think it's just best if I stay retired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3554776

so Kiwanuka is their DE. not bad

they will still be good imo

NJarhead
08-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Well, strahan turned them down

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3554776

so Kiwanuka is their DE. not bad

they will still be good imo

I'm shocked. Truely shocked.

Steelman16
08-26-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm shocked. Truely shocked.

At least he made a DECISION!

I wouldn't have been able to stomach another Brett Favre saga. Two of those in one offseason is just hard on the guts. I'da been doing dry heaves by the season opener!

lilyoder6
08-26-2008, 07:54 PM
i told u he wasn't coming back.. he hadn't even trained this off-season in the first place... also would u rather retire a SB champ or stay 4 a medicore season?