PDA

View Full Version : Why Tyrone Carter WILL remain a steeler

tony hipchest
08-24-2008, 08:12 PM
ive defended anthony smith on this team. now it is carters turn.

1) he is the back-up to one of the most important players on our defense.

2) despite what fans and talking heads feel is anthony smiths "best position" he has been trained by the steelers to be a FS. carter is troys back-up, not smith.

3) his cheap salary is not needed to make salary cap space.

4) for thse who missed the game vs the vikings, the steelers are able to run the same defense and plays with carter in there instead of troy. while not as effective as troy (hes a back up for crying out loud) the defense doesnt have to change its plans or schemes.

5) carter has value. (could probably start for alot of teams just like washington scrub clark was able to start for us). if he is cut, he will not be out of work for long. he has playoff and sb experience.

6) a rookie (mundy) is way more likely to make the mistakes carter has been crucified for. really, if it takes polamalu to learn (and be effective at) the position what says a rookie can steal tyrones job being that he knows the FS and SS duties.

7) he hits rather hard, and contrary to popular belief, can tackle.

Sharkissle29
08-24-2008, 08:16 PM
i thought carter had a hell of a day against the vikes, his tackling is much stronger this year.

Atlanta Dan
08-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Carter was strong last night

Maybe he is listening to the coaches statements that you need to make the play and not worrying about making SportsCenter with his tackling = aside from his performance at the end of the Jax playoff game I may blame Carter for guilt by association due to Smith and Carter appearing to egg each other on with borderline hits when they were the starting DBs last fall

Stlrs4Life
08-24-2008, 08:41 PM
I didn't like him a couple of seasons ago, but have changed my feelings on him last season.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-24-2008, 09:18 PM
I dont have a problem with Carter.

Edman
08-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Tyrone Carter and Willie Reid are two players that aren't very popular with Steeler fans but have turned up their play. It's not gonna be easy pushing those two off the roster.

Texasteel
08-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Tyrone Carter and Willie Reid are two players that aren't very popular with Steeler fans but have turned up their play. It's not gonna be easy pushing those two off the roster.

Carter I like, he's going to knock the hell out of someone every game.
Reid I've given up on this year, hopefully to soon.

Welcome To Smashmouth
08-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah I think Mundy is the odd-man out here.

My personal opinion is Carter is our third best safety and I think he brings a lot to the table when its dinner time. Polamalu -- A. Smith -- Carter -- Clark. Those are my top 4 safeties in that order.....and somehow #4 is ourstarting FS.....interesting

tony hipchest
08-24-2008, 10:47 PM
clark had 2 plays in which he was hitting so hard i had to do a doubletake to make sure it wasnt anthony smith. one was on special teams.

troy, clark, smith, carter IMO

(and carter being #4 on my list is no knock on him but a testament to how good the other 3 are).

carter does get a nod for knowing FS and SS roles though.

either way, i think we have the strongest and deepest safety unit in the league (especially when you consider great young potential such as mundy and lewis).

jjpro11
08-24-2008, 11:55 PM
carter left a bad taste in every steelers fan mouth after the playoff game last year.. before that, i think most were happy with his abilities as a backup SS. he just needs to win back the fans that are still angry with his playoff performance.

Sharkissle29
08-24-2008, 11:55 PM
clark had 2 plays in which he was hitting so hard i had to do a doubletake to make sure it wasnt anthony smith. one was on special teams.

(and carter being #4 on my list is no knock on him but a testament to how good the other 3 are).

either way, i think we have the strongest and deepest safety unit in the league (especially when you consider great young potential such as mundy and lewis).

i noticed that too, he layed some licks on some people. i think we are gonna see an extremely physical defense this year with woodley and timmons. timmons is a freak all of a sudden, great camp.

OneForTheToe
08-24-2008, 11:58 PM

And the Steelers' coaches seem to agree with you as well because that is clearly the order our safeties our in. Clark may not be the most physical of our safties, but he is the most cerrebral, IMO. Clark is rarely out of position. And that includes most importantly when Troy is in the game. If your entire team is made up of players who take the risk for the big play you won't be a very sound team. You need a few of the cerebral players who just do their job and are always at the right spot.

Galax Steeler
08-25-2008, 03:31 AM
I just hope carter found some speed from last year it looked like he was running in slow motion against Jacksonville last year.

scsteeler
08-25-2008, 09:53 AM
I have to say that carter is much improved over last year and this is just my thoughts I think he will again be playing most of the season this year. Troy has been hurt to much in my opinion and I don' this is going to change in the 2008 season. I would love to see Troy out there but I think the injury bug will plague him again this year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Carter I like, he's going to knock the hell out of someone every game.
Reid I've given up on this year, hopefully to soon.

Carter is effective as a wave player..not as a starter. When utilized correctly he has shown himself to be a player...check out the Playoff game against Cincy during our Superbowl run....He was a true force on defense.

That year they would bring in Carter as an extra DB...play him in the flat, where he would jam the reciever to throw the QB/WR timing off..then cover the flat for the dump off WR/RB. He was sawing people in half in the backfield.

I agree that he will be on the roster this year and back into the reserve position that he playes much better than as a starter. By the very definition of wave player...Carter will be good in short, reserve situations but may not ever possess the skill to start...so alot of teams use the wave players to "fill in" as they bring up younger players who will eventually push them out and then eventually start.

Alva Lord
08-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Tyrone Carter's tenure with the team hangs by a thread. He is what he is, a backup safety. He is good in run support as long as he plays close to the line of scrimmage. He's terrible in space.

ShutDown24
08-25-2008, 01:07 PM
I just hope carter found some speed from last year it looked like he was running in slow motion against Jacksonville last year.

That's the problem. All anyone remembers is him against Jacksonville. Carter plays with fire and for his age and price is a VERY good player. I never understood all the complaining about him on this board. He's played great in many instances for the Steelers.

Alva Lord
08-25-2008, 02:21 PM
That's the problem. All anyone remembers is him against Jacksonville. Carter plays with fire and for his age and price is a VERY good player. I never understood all the complaining about him on this board. He's played great in many instances for the Steelers.
He also has not played great in many instances and has cost them dearly.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-25-2008, 02:24 PM
He also has not played great in many instances and has cost them dearly.

...as a starter....you would be correct...as I said earlier..Carter is valuable as a wave player...not as a starter.
That doesnt take away from his known value.

Alva Lord
08-25-2008, 05:01 PM
...as a starter....you would be correct...as I said earlier..Carter is valuable as a wave player...not as a starter.
That doesnt take away from his known value.
As far as I'm concerned his known value will get you a cup of coffee.

tony hipchest
08-25-2008, 06:18 PM
As far as I'm concerned his known value will get you a cup of coffee.and $5 million dollars will get 5 million armchar quarterbacks each a cup of coffee...

OR it will buy a safety who is capable of replacing what polamalu means to this team.

its not a rookie, and we will not be running ed reed, a. wilson, or k. rhodes out there if polamalu gets hurt. carter is the best we got and there were 4 plays in the vikings game where he effectively replaced troy with hardly any notice that it wasnt troy (minus the blazing speed of course).

Preacher
08-25-2008, 07:06 PM
and $5 million dollars will get 5 million armchar quarterbacks each a cup of coffee...

OR it will buy a safety who is capable of replacing what polamalu means to this team.

its not a rookie, and we will not be running ed reed, a. wilson, or k. rhodes out there if polamalu gets hurt. carter is the best we got and there were 4 plays in the vikings game where he effectively replaced troy with hardly any notice that it wasnt troy (minus the blazing speed of course).

I think we get into a wierd area here....

His known value to the STEELERS, vs. his known value as a NFL player.

Much like some of our other players... the system and the cohesiveness of the group makes certain players better... not every player can come in and be good, and not every player can leave and be good. So for US, he is a good valued player in the right place.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-26-2008, 05:37 AM
As far as I'm concerned his known value will get you a cup of coffee.

Actually ...no.

He has value as a wave player.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-26-2008, 05:38 AM
I think we get into a wierd area here....

His known value to the STEELERS, vs. his known value as a NFL player.

Much like some of our other players... the system and the cohesiveness of the group makes certain players better... not every player can come in and be good, and not every player can leave and be good. So for US, he is a good valued player in the right place.

Ding Ding Ding...give that man the cash prize!

SteelMember
08-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Ding Ding Ding...give that man the cash prize!

I thought it was a cup of coffee.:chuckle: