PDA

View Full Version : Dawson, Grimm, Greenwood closer to HOF

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2005, 01:23 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05327/611182.stm

Count Bill Cowher among center Dermontti Dawson's strongest advocates for election into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"To me he's as good a center as I've ever seen play the game," Cowher said yesterday. "I've been in the National Football League since 1980. I've played the game, I've coached defensively and I've watched a lot of people play that position. I don't know that I've seen a better one."

Dawson, in his first year of eligibility, and defensive end L.C. Greenwood, in his last year of eligibility as a modern candidate, joined Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm, who played guard for the Washington Redskins, among the 25 semifinalists announced yesterday by the Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The semifinalists are headed by former Dallas quarterback Troy Aikman and former defensive end Reggie White, both eligible for the first time.

The list will be reduced to 13 modern-era candidates in mid-January. They will join two seniors candidates, and between three and six of those will be chosen Feb. 4 for the 2006 Hall of Fame class.

Dawson played 13 seasons for the Steelers, 12 as their starting center after succeeding Mike Webster, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Dawson retired after the 2000 season because of a lingering hamstring injury and after making seven Pro Bowls.

Greenwood played on the famous Steel Curtain front four, earning four Super Bowl rings. He played 13 seasons and retired after the 1981 season. If he is not elected this time, he will have to be considered among the seniors candidates starting next year.

Grimm collected three Super Bowl rings while playing 12 years at guard for the Washington Redskins. He retired after the 1991 season and went into coaching. He also is the Steelers' assistant head coach. Grimm was a starting quarterback and linebacker at Southmoreland High School and played on the offensive line at Pitt before entering the NFL.

The 25 semifinalists were culled from a nominating list of 112. Former Steelers safety Donnie Shell, who has been a finalist in the past, did not make the list of semifinalists this season.

Others nominated but failed to make it were former Steelers linebacker Kevin Greene, who is third in NFL history with 160 sacks, the most by a linebacker; former Pitt players Chris Doleman and Jim Covert; former WVU linebacker Darryl Talley; former NFL coach Chuck Knox, a native of Sewickley; and former 49ers owner Ed DeBartolo, Jr., a Boardman, Ohio, native whose family also owned the Penguins and defunct Pittsburgh Maulers of the USFL

Suitanim
11-23-2005, 09:55 AM
I would think he'd be first ballot, as he was widely regarded as one of, if not the, best center ever to play the game. Aikman and Reggie White are both unanimous 1st ballot, and I think Dirt deserves the same...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Absolutely, and if the hamstring problems wouldnt have ended his career, he'd probably still be playing now..the guy was just unstoppable and could could ANYBODY !!