PDA

View Full Version : Stay in school kids 'til you get that Diploma

SteelCityMan786
08-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Hmmm, and I hear this the day before I go back to school.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/08238/906875-100.stm

Finishing high school called key to reducing violent crime
Monday, August 25, 2008
By Jerome L. Sherman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A 10 percent boost in graduation rates at Pennsylvania high schools could lead to the prevention of as many as 150 murders in the state every year, claims a report released today.

The report comes from Fight Crime: Invest in Kids, a Harrisburg-based advocacy group that is calling for a huge investment in pre-kindergarten programs that prepare young children for school and, according to statistics, increase their chances of reaching graduation.

"If we don't pay now, we'll pay later with increased crime," Allegheny County Sheriff William P. Mullen said this morning during a press conference in front of Westinghouse High School in Homewood.

He was joined by Pittsburgh Public Schools Superintendent Mark Roosevelt, Superior Court Judge Robert E. Colville and Pittsburgh Police Cmdr. Larry Ross.

The Fight Crime report bases its numbers on a 2004 study from two University of California at Berkeley economists, who looked at the relationship between graduation rates and crime.

They found that a 10 percent increase in graduation rates corresponded with a 20 percent reduction in murder and assault rates.

Those percentages, if applied to Pennsylvania's 2006 crime statistics from the FBI, predict 150 fewer murders statewide, including 75 fewer for Philadelphia and 13 for Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh would also see 320 fewer assaults, while the state as a whole would see a decline of 5,900 assaults.

High school dropouts are more than eight times more likely than graduates to end up in jail, the Fight Crime report says.

"The results from not finishing high school are profound," said Bruce R. Clash, Fight Crime's state director.

Pennsylvania's current budget includes $86 million for Pre-K Counts, which will serve 12,000 3- and 4-year-olds.

Mr. Clash praised the program, now in its second year. But he said the state would have to double its spending on pre-kindergarten education to meet demand from school districts and other providers.

Pittsburgh already serves 2,500 students in 101 early childhood programs, Mr. Roosevelt said.

Dino 6 Rings
08-25-2008, 11:38 AM
So...if you stay in school, and get a diploma, you have a better chance of getting a job, that keeps you off the streets and away from crime...

how much money was spent on this study? Cause that seems like Freaking Common Sense to me...

SteelCityMan786
08-25-2008, 08:19 PM
So...if you stay in school, and get a diploma, you have a better chance of getting a job, that keeps you off the streets and away from crime...

how much money was spent on this study? Cause that seems like Freaking Common Sense to me...

Same here. This is common sense, not just a definant a thing that is determined out of no where.

xfl2001fan
08-26-2008, 07:26 AM
Common sense proves nothing. That's why the money was spent (and considered by many politicians to be well spent.)

Define common sense and tell me how common sense actually proves anything.

Godfather
08-26-2008, 12:10 PM
It's certainly common sense. But you need the study to figure out exactly how much of a difference the diploma makes so you can properly analyze the costs and benefits of different policies.

revefsreleets
08-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Look at all that common sense at airports:

"Sir, your shampoo bottle in your carry-on can only be 2 ounces, not 3...you'll need to be detained for 6 hours as a possible threat to national security. Please follow these 11 TSA workers into the interrogation room, and have a nice day!"

The problem is that these studies don't tell anybody HOW to get kids to graduate.

MACH1
08-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Look at all that common sense at airports:

"Sir, your shampoo bottle in your carry-on can only be 2 ounces, not 3...you'll need to be detained for 6 hours as a possible threat to national security. Please follow these 11 TSA workers into the interrogation room, and have a nice day!"

The problem is that these studies don't tell anybody HOW to get kids to graduate.

Sir...That lighter is not allowed to be carried on to the plane, but these book of matches are. :doh:

Kids these days don't have the discipline at home to keep them in school. As a parent, lay finger on them and go to prison now days. Back in the day when I went to school the principle had a paddle to beat your a$$ with when ya got out of line. And it was legal.

xfl2001fan
08-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Mach1

It wasn't legal when I went to school, but it should have been! If you were to ever meet my kids, ask them if I've whopped on any of their tushes...I guarantee you any one of them that can talk will tell you that they got what was coming to them.

Amazingly enough, if you meet my kids, you'll swear that they're so good, there's no need for me to lay a hand on them.

Coincidence?

stlrtruck
08-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Sir...That lighter is not allowed to be carried on to the plane, but these book of matches are. :doh:

Kids these days don't have the discipline at home to keep them in school. As a parent, lay finger on them and go to prison now days. Back in the day when I went to school the principle had a paddle to beat your a$$ with when ya got out of line. And it was legal.

And then after you left the office with a sore arse, they called your parents and when you got hom, they spanked you.

stlrtruck
08-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Mach1

It wasn't legal when I went to school, but it should have been! If you were to ever meet my kids, ask them if I've whopped on any of their tushes...I guarantee you any one of them that can talk will tell you that they got what was coming to them.

Amazingly enough, if you meet my kids, you'll swear that they're so good, there's no need for me to lay a hand on them.

Coincidence?

Everyone's kids are golden when other people are around. But when it's just the fam, it's a different story.

My daughter is an angel at school, in class at church, with my in-laws (when they're baby sitting), and with many others. Home alone, some days is a holy terror!

MACH1
08-27-2008, 10:54 AM
And then after you left the office with a sore arse, they called your parents and when you got hom, they spanked you.

Bingo!!!

MACH1
08-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Everyone's kids are golden when other people are around. But when it's just the fam, it's a different story.

My daughter is an angel at school, in class at church, with my in-laws (when they're baby sitting), and with many others. Home alone, some days is a holy terror!

LOL....I thought it was just mine that did that. One day I swear he twisted his head ALL the way around.

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2008, 11:28 AM
All I know is that with computers these days, you can go online and see your kids grades and attendence and all that jazz, every day.

If My parents would have had that, my arse would still be sore and I'm in my 30s LOL.

We push College, have to go to College, so that means a HighSchool Diploma is simply a must in our house.

However, my 9 year old daughter apparently isn't taking math very seriously right now, week 2 of school, and I'm starting to have trouble helping her. They can't just add anymore, noooo...you have to figure out all kinds of silly stuff first, then add. Its complicated as all heck. Whatever happened to simply adding.

stlrtruck
08-27-2008, 11:57 AM
you have to figure out all kinds of silly stuff first, then add. Its complicated as all heck. Whatever happened to simply adding.

They're doing that in pre-school now.

MACH1
08-27-2008, 02:27 PM
They're doing that in pre-school now.

Yep...My son had to be tested to get into kindergarten. They had to know abc's(of course), count to 30, then write it down and read a little, just to get in. :jawdrop: What happened to the school's teaching that stuff. So we had to do a crash course of teaching him how to write and read before school started. You know how hard it is to teach a 4 year old to write and not draw pictures. LOL But we did get him in and now he's in the first grade.

xfl2001fan
08-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Yep...My son had to be tested to get into kindergarten. They had to know abc's(of course), count to 30, then write it down and read a little, just to get in. :jawdrop: What happened to the school's teaching that stuff. So we had to do a crash course of teaching him how to write and read before school started. You know how hard it is to teach a 4 year old to write and not draw pictures. LOL But we did get him in and now he's in the first grade.

This is why my wife and I homeschool. We're already expected to teach our kids prior to getting them to school, the workload given to kids is tremendous in most public schools (let alone private schools) and the expectation is that parents are to assist there as well.

It's great that kids are smarter now than they were 2 decades ago, but not at the expense of parents becoming teachers and kids losing large portions of their childhood because it's 8+ hours of schoolwork at school (with large chunks of the day being a complete and utter waste) and another 2+ hours spent on homework.

By the time you bring in an evening meal, there's little real time available to be a kid.

Something hasn't passed the common sense test here.

stlrtruck
08-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Something hasn't passed the common sense test here.

It's not just something, there's A LOT that hasn't passed that test.

In FL they prepare for the FCAT every year. So instead of my children being taught and educated, they are being prepared for an annual test that if they do not pass they don't move forward and the schools don't receive funding.

MACH1
08-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Not to mention by the time a person gets done working and how wore out they are. How frustrating it can be teaching them the crap they have to do now. It takes a lot of patients of which I don't have a lot of by the end of the day. Then thats when the wife takes over.

MACH1
08-27-2008, 02:43 PM
It's not just something, there's A LOT that hasn't passed that test.

In FL they prepare for the FCAT every year. So instead of my children being taught and educated, they are being prepared for an annual test that if they do not pass they don't move forward and the schools don't receive funding.

Thats it right there in a nut shell.

steelreserve
08-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Bah, it's not worth expending all that effort just to stop a few murders.