PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Cut 3 Players...

GBMelBlount
08-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Steelers cut three players

The Steelers made a couple of roster moves today to get down the NFL minimum. They placed injured punter Daniel Sepulveda on injured reserve and cut three players -- kick returner Jeremy Bloom, defensive lineman Martavius Prince and quarterback Mike Potts.

Those moves trim the Steelers roster to 77. They need to reduce the roster to 76 by tomorrow at 4 p.m. The Steelers have an exemption because wide receiver Marvin Allen will be on the team's practice squad as part of the NFL international program.

Monday, August 25, 2008
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08238/906879-66.stm

fansince'76
08-25-2008, 02:34 PM
No real surprises there. Wonder if they're going to go the IR route with Batch as well?

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-25-2008, 02:35 PM
No real surprises there. Wonder if they're going to go the IR route with Batch as well?

That makes alot of sense

tony hipchest
08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
jeremy bloom should go to san diego so he can ski the moguls on norv turners face.

:toofunny: (damn, that was rough and uncalled for!)

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-25-2008, 02:37 PM
jeremy bloom should go to san diego so he can ski the moguls on norv turners face.

:toofunny: (damn, that was rough and uncalled for!)

There are crevices and valleys there....that no ski rescue or saint bernard would dare go!

SteelMember
08-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Any guesses for tomorrow.

P.Bailey or D.Woods are mine.

HometownGal
08-25-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm not really surprised at these cuts. With Charlie's status up in the air at this point, Potts had to go. I think it is in the Steelers best interests to put Charlie on IR.

Who will be the next 3 to go? Only the shadow knows. :muhaha::muhaha:

rbryan
08-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Whats the NFL international program?? I thought NFL Europe was finished

Steelman16
08-25-2008, 03:39 PM

Well....never mind. Don't even get me started on that... :doh:

No surprises for those three cuts.

OneForTheToe
08-25-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm not really surprised at these cuts. With Charlie's status up in the air at this point, Potts had to go. I think it is in the Steelers best interests to put Charlie on IR.

Who will be the next 3 to go? Only the shadow knows. :muhaha::muhaha:

Ben Roethlisberger, Willie Parker and Troy Polumolu. Just think of the money we would save. Dan Rooney could tell his brothers, "hey this teams not worth nothing." Thereafter, they could spend like crazy on offensive linemen for 2009. :coffee::wink02:

ha ha ... and with that rather pedestrian post I have finally made it to the head coach job. Now the Steelers will be sure to take my advice - how can they not? And to think ... all those people who said I would never make anything of myself.

Dino 6 Rings
08-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Why did Bloom get so many chances to return punts. If he isn't the guy is it going to be Moore?

xfl2001fan
08-25-2008, 03:51 PM

Though the NFL pulled out of Europe, Europe doesn't necessarily consider itself done with professional football. So every team is allowed 1 roster exemption to bring in a player from overseas to add to their practice squad. This way, those guys overseas can continue to learn the game in the hopes that the NFL can open it's doors to an international league again.

Right now, it's not making enough fiscal sense, but if the popularity grows, we could be looking at the NFL's version of FIBA in the next couple of decades.

PalmerSteel
08-25-2008, 03:55 PM
like stated somewhere else, baker and drummond will be cut next imo. neither guy has enough value to make it.

The Duke
08-25-2008, 03:59 PM
mike potts!! forgot about him. he only played the 1st game then nothing

I guess he just didn't impress in practice

oh....cut mahan already!! :chuckle:

JPPT1974
08-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Let the cutting begin!

Steelman16
08-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Let the cutting begin!

Ok, I'll give you the benifet of the doubt on that statement. :chuckle:

43Hitman
08-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Ben Roethlisberger, Willie Parker and Troy Polumolu. Just think of the money we would save. Dan Rooney could tell his brothers, "hey this teams not worth nothing." Thereafter, they could spend like crazy on offensive linemen for 2009. :coffee::wink02:

ha ha ... and with that rather pedestrian post I have finally made it to the head coach job. Now the Steelers will be sure to take my advice - how can they not? And to think ... all those people who said I would never make anything of myself.

I could see that. We have Lefty, Mendenhall, and Smith to take their spots.:wink02:

steelersfanman92
08-25-2008, 06:52 PM
I would have like to see Bloom make the team

SteelersJW
08-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Jermey Bloom is to much of a novelty. I'm glad to get rid of him. I don't know if we thought he could be like a Wes Welker or what? Did he even return any punts or kicks in the preseason at all?

43Hitman
08-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Jermey Bloom is to much of a novelty. I'm glad to get rid of him. I don't know if we thought he could be like a Wes Welker or what? Did he even return any punts or kicks in the preseason at all?

I think he had one in the Eagles game.

CanadianSteel
08-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Would have liked to see Bloom get a few more chances in game action to see what he's got. Seems like a good guy and unfortunately didn't get any real chances IMHO.

19ward86
08-25-2008, 10:37 PM
I say the FB at whose name i dont know (not carey davis) will be released.

tony hipchest
08-25-2008, 10:40 PM
I say the FB at whose name i dont know (not carey davis) will be released.

"he whos name shall not be spoken" (john kuhn) has already been released a while back.

:chuckle:

Steel Pit
08-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Though the NFL pulled out of Europe, Europe doesn't necessarily consider itself done with professional football. So every team is allowed 1 roster exemption to bring in a player from overseas to add to their practice squad. This way, those guys overseas can continue to learn the game in the hopes that the NFL can open it's doors to an international league again.

Right now, it's not making enough fiscal sense, but if the popularity grows, we could be looking at the NFL's version of FIBA in the next couple of decades.

Although Cleveland doesn't necessarily consider itself done with professional football, the NFL may, ONCE AGAIN, pull out of Cleveland. At that point approximately 4 NFL franchises would be allotted 1 roster exemption enabling them to bring in the 4 current Cleveland Browns players who have the talent to play in this league. :toofunny:

Galax Steeler
08-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Potts didn't have a chance from the get go I believe Drummond will be the next to go we have the return game covered.