PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Questionable.. Essex could get 2nd start

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2005, 12:25 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05327/611192.stm

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The next most important player for the Steelers to get back into the lineup is Marvel Smith.

With quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's return, the Steelers would like to have Smith, a Pro Bowl left tackle, protect him. Rookie Trai Essex made his first NFL appearance Sunday, starting at left tackle in Baltimore.

The reviews on Essex were mixed after quarterback Tommy Maddox was sacked six times and forced out of the pocket on three other occasions, and the Steelers could get nothing going on the ground.

Coach Bill Cowher listed Smith as questionable for the game Monday in Indianapolis with a sprained ankle, and that means Essex could play.

"He did some good things," Cowher said of Essex. "But, you know, like a young guy, you throw him into that type of situation -- a lot of different fronts, a lot of pressure, dealing with the noise -- I think all things considered, when you look at that being his first NFL start, I thought he was fine.

"Certainly, he left room for improvement. As I told him, he could have played better."

He better if he has to play Monday because the end over him, the Colts' Dwight Freeney, has 10 sacks.

pitt
11-23-2005, 01:23 AM
This is bad news!

Prosdo
11-23-2005, 01:59 AM
Not what I wanted to hear. I was really hoping we would have Marvel back.

Suitanim
11-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Uh Oh!!!!!

Ambridge
11-23-2005, 05:45 PM
I hope the Steelers work the protection so Essex isn't left on an island by himself with Freeney and Ben better have those eyes in the back of his head in good working order.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2005, 05:48 PM
You gotta think w/ the problems that Trai had against suggs, that they will put Heath or Jerame over there to help out.

Marvel is listed as questionable so we'll see what happens.

SalukiSteelers
11-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Oh boy, just what a team that gained 70 yards on the ground wants to hear. Please, please, please do something about Freeney. The guy is a freakin' speed rushing demon! I bet Ben's knee has a huge bullseye on it.