PDA

View Full Version : 9-year-old boy told he's too good to pitch

pittsburghp8baller
08-26-2008, 06:57 AM
Heard about this on Mike and Mike, thought it was worth posting.

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player -- too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

"He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

"I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

"I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

"Facing that kind of speed" is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

"I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

xfl2001fan
08-26-2008, 07:03 AM
wow, now we're really getting entirely too PC for our own good.

fansince'76
08-26-2008, 07:17 AM
And people wonder why America is losing ground in the global marketplace, when the answer is really quite simple. In the interest of over-the-top political correctness and to ensure that "everybody is a winner" (when nothing could be further from the truth in the real world), we have wholeheartedly embraced mediocrity and have started to punish excellence.

Godfather
08-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Sounds like this is the real reason:

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

Hopefully there's a Little League around there. If not they could raise the money for one in no time with all the national publicity.

lilyoder6
08-26-2008, 09:02 AM
it's just sad that the defending champions were mad he didn't join them and had the poss of losing to the team he actually joined... he shall join a team and go to the little league wS

klick81
08-26-2008, 10:22 AM
F'ing bullish. What a bunch of pansies the other parents must be raising!!!

Hapa
08-26-2008, 10:35 AM
He should just join a better league. I'm sure there are other leagues that want him

stlrtruck
08-26-2008, 12:07 PM
It is a crying shame when people have to take the "FUN OF THE GAME" away from the purist of players.

So what he's better. That's how it was when I grew up. There were always better players, better pitchers, better hitters, and guess what - NO ONE WALKED OFF THE FIELD. You gave it your best shot and then you got a snow cone after the game!!

Steelerstrength
08-26-2008, 01:38 PM
In my first year in Little League, I was put on a team of 8-10 year olds, in the "minors". Half-way through the season I was asked how old I was, and if I was interested in playing in the "Majors", for 11-12 year olds. The league prevented me from moving up until I was 9. Then I was the first 9 year old to be on a "major" team. My older brother wasn't too happy about the fact I was now on his team.

That said, this isn't about PC, it's about too many weak people. (Although this specific situation appears to be more about sour grapes by the league champs.) Just move him up a league. Simple solution!

tony hipchest
08-26-2008, 01:41 PM
the kid is probably 12 and shaving :laughing:

Edman
08-26-2008, 01:56 PM
The pussification of America continues.

Those parents wouldn't want their poor little Tommy's ego bruised by striking out. So let's establish this "everyone wins" mentality to prepare these kids for the harsh reality they are going to face once (if) they reach the higher leagues.

stlrtruck
08-26-2008, 02:15 PM
the kid is probably 12 and shaving :laughing:

They have a picture of him in the St Pete Times and the kid barely looks like he's 7. But he's probably still shaving.

Preacher
08-26-2008, 02:54 PM
When I played hockey... there were a couple kids that had WICKED slapshots... and one or two others that were HORRENDOUS checkers... it HURT when they hit you.

They weren't banned from shooting or checking. It is PART OF THE GAME.

If the kid is THAT good... then yeah, move him up a league. If not, then let him play. I could see banning him from pitching if the kid was all over the place, beaning kids left and right... but power AND control.

What a joke.

xfl2001fan
08-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Wish that I could have lived in this society growing up. They would have lowered the basketball rim to about 4 feet so that I could dunk and be an all-star basketball player. Instead, I had to find out that some people will never be good at basketball and had to choose another lifestyle.

So sad to think of all the millions of dollars I must be missing out on, because life doesn't have to be about who's better than who.

[/sarcasm]

TheWarDen86
08-26-2008, 03:47 PM
The pussification of America continues.

:iagree:

When will it f'ing STOP???? It's nauseating at this point.

Preacher
08-26-2008, 03:52 PM
I hate to say this...

but it is the same mentality that sees 4000 dead in Iraq and cries their eyes out about a horrible blight...

on a personal level, it is absolutely horrible. But perspective tells us that sometimes, life is horrible at the personal level for some, and no amount of trying to make it OK will fix it...

Not on a ball field, not on a battlefield.

It is the same underlying mentality.

steelreserve
08-26-2008, 04:25 PM
That said, this isn't about PC, it's about too many weak people. (Although this specific situation appears to be more about sour grapes by the league champs.) Just move him up a league. Simple solution!

I think part of PC is trying way, way too hard to avoid hurting the weak people's feelings. Whether a kid is fat, stupid, sucks at sports, has behavior issues or whatever, you don't say anything critical, you just say, "Hey, how great that you tried." Basically, you enforce a policy of mediocrity to avoid making anyone feel bad.

Yeah, easy way is just to move the kid up a league. Overall, the problem is that our society has become pussified into some misguided feel-good trance that doesn't encourage anyone to stand out.

xfl2001fan
08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Yup, I was that fat kid playing basketball. My mom and dad applauded the effort, but told me that the kids in my age group were just much more talented/dedicated to the game than I was.

They would support the effort if it was what I really wanted, but suggested I find something much more to my strengths. So I then spent my summers in various "extracurricular educations" opportunities. I knew about Velociraptors before third grade, was taught how to make games on a 3.5" floppy disk (for an Apple system) before the 4th grade, etc...

Still played basketball (poorly) with my friends and family in the evenings and on weekends. Same with football, baseball, etc...

To this day, I still play basketball (poorly) with my friends. I know I shoot like Shaq, dribble like Yao and generally am nothing more than a "big body" on the court with semi-decent zone defense skills and (against comparable competition) a pretty good rebounder. But no college scout would ever see me as a prospect outside of the poserized guy getting dunked on. LOL

My kids know what they're good at, know what they're not good at. I praise them for their efforts, but I'm not about to patronize them and tell them they'll be a star one day when it's clear they don't have the talent. My oldest daughter can't carry a tune in a bucket, she knows it, we still sing together. She just won't have a solo career in her future.

Forget being PC. Be honest. Everyone around you will be much better off, because they won't be deluded into thinking that everything will always be fine just because they tried.

steel striker
08-26-2008, 08:22 PM
I can't start to understand this at all. Getting punished for being good.

X-Terminator
08-26-2008, 11:38 PM
So this is where we are, huh? If you excel at something, you can have it taken away from you, have your life ruined because someone else has sand in their vagina.

What a joke. PC run amok again.

TroysBadDawg
08-30-2008, 08:52 PM
The league should be disbanded, the responser should be boycotted and fed califoricated grapes.

The league officials should be made to wear diapers since they are acting like babies and the team coaches that got him banned should be banned from coaching the rest of their miserable lives.

I guess that sums it up for me. TO much PC in my book since it started in CA. Hope it falls into the ocean or Mexico takes it back.

SteelCityMan786
08-30-2008, 09:38 PM
What douchebags. What's so wrong about having a kid who is that good in a little league? In my opinion this should be the coaches opportunity to challenge their kids to do better. Strike Out, then you know what, ya strike out. Is it wrong that kid wants to do well at something he loves? Oh so I guess they think if I tackle someone too hard, I shouldn't be allowed to play Football to I guess huh? Sorry, but having players that are good at tackling in Football's case, or even a good pitcher in this case in Baseball, ARE PART OF THE ****ING GAME. You're going to have players who are very good, some aren't going to be good. But having guys like the kid who this thread is centered around should be a way to challenge the kids to do better and push themselves to the limit.

This everyone gets rewarded bullshit HAS TO STOP. Not everyone gets prizes for the level they finish at. I didn't get a medal last year for my Football Team's 2nd Place Finish in the District Playoffs. So why should people be enforcing this everyone is a winner crap? The Little League levels are about player development. They're going to play some tough people, some are going to be bad. Let the boys be boys or the girls be girls in the sports they play and enjoy them while they're young. Who says they're going to have a professional sports carrier? I'll tell you the odds DON'T FAVOR THEM.

(End Rant of me expressing how tired I am of parents trying to live the life they wanted through their kids.)

TroysBadDawg
08-30-2008, 09:49 PM
From the book Dumbing Down Our Kids: Why American Children Feel Good about Themselves, but Can't Read, Write, or Add (St. Martin's Press, 1995) Author educator Charles Sykes.

Rule 1: Life is not fair-get used to it.

Rule 2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make 40 Thousand dollars a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone, until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping-they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. You have to do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one

I wonder if this shouldn't be required reading for all parents.

Godfather
08-30-2008, 10:14 PM
The league should be disbanded, the responser should be boycotted and fed califoricated grapes.

The league officials should be made to wear diapers since they are acting like babies and the team coaches that got him banned should be banned from coaching the rest of their miserable lives.

I guess that sums it up for me. TO much PC in my book since it started in CA. Hope it falls into the ocean or Mexico takes it back.

Agree with your punishment. But don't forget that this is really about someone abusing a position of power. If he'd played for the "right" team he wouldn't have been kicked out.

SteelCityMan786
08-30-2008, 10:25 PM
From the book Dumbing Down Our Kids: Why American Children Feel Good about Themselves, but Can't Read, Write, or Add (St. Martin's Press, 1995) Author educator Charles Sykes.

I wonder if this shouldn't be required reading for all parents.

Everything in the quote is right. And I completely agree with. :thumbsup:

Godfather
08-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Everything in the quote is right. And I completely agree with. :thumbsup:

The sad thing is if we actually teach kids how to do something, they'll have real self esteem because, well, they can DO something.

Galax Steeler
08-31-2008, 08:22 AM
I see nothing wrong with letting him pitch it will only make the hitters better.

stlrtruck
09-02-2008, 08:02 AM
I see nothing wrong with letting him pitch it will only make the hitters better.

But they don't want their children to get better. Don't you know they're the best right now!

If my daughter ever has coaches like this I'll pull her off the team and put her on a team with coaches that understand what the purpose of game.