PDA

View Full Version : Fillability Index: AFC North

moedap
08-26-2008, 03:17 PM
"The Fillability Index is our annual look at each team's off-season acquisitions and departures.

We continue today with the AFC North, a division in which Pittsburgh has held a stranglehold since, well, about 1972, when it was called the AFC Central. The 2007 season was no exception. The Steelers won the division crown and went 5-1 against divisional opponents. It probably would have been 6-0, had Pittsburgh not rested almost all its best players in the season finale, a 27-21 loss to the sad-sack Ravens.

But the AFC North also has the feeling of a division at a tipping point: the Steelers narrowly edged out the Browns for the division title last year. Both went 10-6, but Pittsburgh took the two head to head meetings, including a 31-28 Week 10 battle in which the Browns missed a game-tying field goal at the end of regulation. Cleveland looks poised to surpass the Steelers as the class of the AFC North. But a lot of bettors have gone broke making that kind of gamble over the past 36 years.

The Fillability Index is the best way found anywhere in the seedy underworld of online football analysis to measure the off-season moves of each NFL team. Its brilliance is found in its simplicity: we size up each team based upon their statistical strengths and weaknesses last year, as measured by their rankings in all of our Quality Stats, and then determine whether they made the necessary off-season personnel moves to shore up those weaknesses.

Pretty simple. Yet nobody else does it.

So on to the Index.

(Index Key: Bend = Bendability Index; Score = Scoreability Index; PYPA = Passing Yards Per Attempt; DPR = Defensive Passer Rating; OHI = Offensive Hog Index; DHI = Defensive Hog Index; Big Play = Big Play Index; Relativity = Relativity Index; ST = Special Teams)

PITTSBURGH (2007 Quality Stats rankings)
Bend Score PYPA DPR OHI DHI Big Play Relativity ST
12 5 14 9 14t 21 7 7 20

Additions:
LB Keyaron Fox (Kansas City)
C Justin Hartwig (Carolina)
RB Mewelde Moore (Minnesota)

Subtractions:
OG, Alan Faneca (New York Jets)
LB Clark Haggans (Arizona)
CB Allen Rossum (San Francisco)
QB Brian St. Pierre (Arizona)
TE Jerame Tuman (Arizona)
WR Cedrick Wilson (Unsigned)

Draft Picks:
1 (23) Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
2 (53) Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
3 (88) Bruce Davis, LB, UCLA
4 (130) Tony Hills, OT, Texas
5 (156) Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon
6 (188) Mike Humpal, LB. Iowa
6 (194) Ryan Mundy, S, West Virginia

Steelers Fillability Overview
The Steelers weren’t as bad along the defensive front as the Browns were last year. But, as was the case in Cleveland, Pittsburgh’s biggest statistical weakness in 2007 was clearly its defensive hogs (21st in our Defensive Hog Index).

But for some reason, the Steelers took few major steps to shore up this area. They certainly didn’t attack this weakness the way Cleveland did.

In fact, they seem strangely fixated upon offensive skill players, grabbing free agent running back Mewelde Moore from Minnesota, while selecting running back Rashard Mendenhall and receiver Limas Sweed with their first two draft picks.

Both Mendenhall and Sweed are very talented players who could become big-time NFL performers. But the Steelers simply had more pressing needs. Pittsburgh also devoted a mid-round pick to Oregon quarterback Dennis Dixon, who was a Heisman favorite last year before blowing out his knee late in the season. Seems like a lot to expend for a team that’s already secure at its No. 1 QB position and needed only back-up help.

All these resources went into an offense that was 5th last year in our Scoreability Index and was no worse than middle of the pack in most areas. The Pittsburgh defense imploded late in the 2007 season, meanwhile. And, based upon off-season acquisitions, there’s little reason to believe the defense will improve in 2008.

Pittsburgh Fillability Grade: D"

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2345_Fillability_Index%3A_AFC_North.html

fansince'76
08-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Lost me as soon as I looked at the URL and saw it came from CHFF. :coffee:

xfl2001fan
08-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Hmm, a fillability grade, which means we have to guess whether they brought in enough people to make an improvement in areas that we are guessing to be key.

However, the Jets were a significantly worse team than the Steelers last year. Bringing in players that may have an impact (OL/DL and QB) will give them a better fillability grade and still make them a less talented team than the Steelers.

WTH is a "Relativity Index?" Does this mean that the Steelers are the 7th fastest team at figuring out the actual use of Einstein's Theory of Relativity as to how it applies to the NFL?

Just curious.

lilyoder6
08-26-2008, 03:34 PM
:noidea: i have no clue what this whole article just meant :noidea:

fansince'76
08-26-2008, 03:39 PM
WTH is a "Relativity Index?" Does this mean that the Steelers are the 7th fastest team at figuring out the actual use of Einstein's Theory of Relativity as to how it applies to the NFL?

Just curious.

Nope, it's just another "objective" and "unbiased" contrivance (see yet another exercise in the cherry-picking of statistics) of CHFF's to bolster the underlying argument in every one of their articles that the Patriots* are the bestest, most wonderfulest, classiest, brainiest, and ballsiest organization in the history of professional sports anywhere in the known universe. It's really no wonder the Patriots* got the highest grade in this horseshit "index":

In fact, the 2007 Patriots had just one statistical weakness. And it was this weakness that killed them in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLII. The Patriots dominated everywhere last year, but were merely mediocre against the pass, as evidenced by their No. 11 rank in Defensive Passer Rating....Of course, Eli Manning and the Giants exploited this relative weakness with a pair of fourth-quarter Super Bowl scoring drives that overwhelmed New England's Kashmir-like quest for gridiron immortality with the shifting sandstorms of infamy.

New England Fillability Grade: A-

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2320_Fillability_Index:_AFC_East.html

Give me a f***ing break. :coffee:

TheWarDen86
08-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Give me a f***ing break. :coffee:

Yeah, no kidding. What is this, Robert Frost does football????

SteelMember
08-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Looks like a lot of Crapibility to me!

fansince'76
08-26-2008, 04:07 PM
What is this, Robert Frost does football????

No, it's a bunch of disingenuous slobbering Patriots* homers churning out Patriots* knobslobbing drivel and attempting to pass it off as "no-nonsense, objective football journalism." That site's a joke.

The Duke
08-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Fillability? wtf, when does the season start!!

coldhardfootballfacts- crap. big brown crap

can't wait for this "articles" to stop coming out

filability....:mad:

Steelman16
08-26-2008, 06:24 PM
It's just a way of making themselves look smart by using big words such as "Fillability", "Bendability Index", "Additions", Subtractions" and "Relativity Index" to make other teams look bad and the Patriots* look like immortal gods. (Eli is my hero! Not really, but he at least saved us from more New England immortality crap)

They're cold and they're hard, but they ain't football facts. :coffee:

TheWarDen86
08-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Looks like a lot of Crapibility to me!

:rofl:

You said it!

steel striker
08-26-2008, 07:33 PM
If I did not know better I would say ESPN was behind that crapable article.

HometownGal
08-26-2008, 09:19 PM
CHFF Reliability Index: F as in :upyours:

9-5
08-26-2008, 09:52 PM
The Bugles got a F- in that article. I didn't know there was a such thing as a F- :rofl::rofl::rofl:

tony hipchest
08-26-2008, 09:59 PM
The Bugles got a F- in that article. I didn't know there was a such thing as a F- :rofl::rofl::rofl:lol. i didnt read it but that is pretty hilarious. im sure it has dropped to an F- - since being written. :applaudit:

RoethlisBURGHer
08-26-2008, 10:07 PM
So from what I understand, we got a D because we didn't bring in new starters on the defenslive line like Cleveland did.

The difference between our defensive problems last year and Cleveland's was the fact that we had a few key guys go down with injuries or play hurt...Cleveland's defense was just nonexistant.

I think we did pretty well filling the loss of Aaron Smith with....Aaron Smith.

Filled the loss of Ryan Clark with...Ryan Clark.

Replaced an injured Troy Polamalu with a...healthy Troy Polamalu.

And it's funny, our defense ended up so damn bad last year that we finished at the #1 defense in the league.

How are those for some cold hard football facts?

tony hipchest
08-26-2008, 10:20 PM
:iagree: ^^^^^^ thats what we call "ColdHardMBOwnage"

:chuckle:

tunes4life
08-27-2008, 07:39 AM
:coffee:

DACEB
08-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Pittsburgh Fillability Grade: D

D for defense, #1 defense, now it all makes sense.

DACEB
08-27-2008, 07:46 AM
In fact, the 2007 Patriots had just one statistical weakness. And it was this weakness that killed them in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLII. The Patriots dominated everywhere last year, but were merely mediocre against the pass, New England Fillability Grade: A-
So they lose their #1 CB (Samuel) replace him with scrubs and rookies, and they get an A.

A is for a$$holes.

fansince'76
08-27-2008, 07:49 AM
So they lose their #1 CB (Samuel) replace him with scrubs and rookies, and they get an A.

A is for a$$holes.

Not to mention an OL that got absolutely owned in the SB, and one of whose members is a complete junkie, which is another unit they also did nothing about. :coffee:

SteelerFanInCA
08-27-2008, 10:22 AM
This thing is a complete joke. :dang:

Steely McSmash
08-27-2008, 11:41 AM
The Fillability Index is the best way found anywhere

Why don't they review the grades from last year and see how awesome they are then?

I think we improve a good bit just from a year of coaching continuity alone.

fansince'76
08-27-2008, 12:00 PM
"The Fillability Index is the best way found anywhere....

........for us here at CHFF to slob the Pats* collective knob like the bunch of RW&B Kool-Aid-drinking Pats* bandwagon-riding homers we are while trying to maintain a facade of "objectively reporting" cold, hard, football facts." :coffee:

DACEB
08-27-2008, 12:07 PM
I think we improve a good bit just from a year of coaching continuity alone.

Obviously you could never land a job at CHFF, you make far to much sense!

revefsreleets
08-27-2008, 12:52 PM
This just in: CHFF reporting that Bill Cowher STILL will never win a Super Bowl.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-27-2008, 01:08 PM
I prefer the Hillabilty Index.

Just figure out the players from the Ozark and Appalachian states....then divide the amount of total teeth by the amount of those players....you should come up with a single digit number.

Then take the total number of livestock they bring to training camp (roadkill doesnt count) and add that to the first number. This total number should be divided by average of the last grade attended...usually the 4th or 5th...and that number is considered the Hillability rating.

If I did it correctly....The Bengals should win the Superbowl over the Browns by 57 points.

stlrtruck
08-27-2008, 02:19 PM
I prefer the Hillabilty Index.

Just figure out the players from the Ozark and Appalachian states....then divide the amount of total teeth by the amount of those players....you should come up with a single digit number.

Then take the total number of livestock they bring to training camp (roadkill doesnt count) and add that to the first number. This total number should be divided by average of the last grade attended...usually the 4th or 5th...and that number is considered the Hillability rating.

If I did it correctly....The Bengals should win the Superbowl over the Browns by 57 points.

What if the roadkill is cookable upon arrival at training camp? Or if said roadkill is an upgrade to current menu items?

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-27-2008, 02:43 PM
What if the roadkill is cookable upon arrival at training camp? Or if said roadkill is an upgrade to current menu items?

OH GREAT!!!...now I gotta change the whole equation...lets see...add one possum...subtract price of BBQ...????

Bengals over Brown by 129.

stlrtruck
08-27-2008, 03:07 PM
OH GREAT!!!...now I gotta change the whole equation...lets see...add one possum...subtract price of BBQ...????

Bengals over Brown by 129.

Ok, not to throw another monkey wrench in your calculations, but what if the roadkill was still partially alive...and could feed the team twice?

I guess what I'm asking is at what point does Chad Johnson become the MVP?

xfl2001fan
08-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Most Vocally-incompetent Player?

Steelman16
08-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Most Vocally-incompetent Player?

Vocally he's very competent. :chuckle:

SteelMember
08-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Vocally he's very competent. :chuckle:

Are you saying he has vocal competentibility?:chuckle: I would have to agree.