PDA

View Full Version : Spongebob Spagnuolo's Patkilling "blueprint"

tony hipchest
08-26-2008, 05:47 PM
and lebeaus influence on the nfl just keeps growing. "fire-zone" blitz huh? sounds familiar.

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story;jsessionid=4586014EE7DA871A292B547A314C8E7A? id=09000d5d80a45a32&template=without-video&confirm=true

Spagnuolo's plan has NFL playing follow the leader

Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo has the plan many teams will be looking to mimic in 2008.

Through 16 regular-season games in 2007 and two playoff contests, no team that faced the undefeated New England Patriots could solve their record-breaking offense. Then came Super Bowl XLII. How did Steve Spagnuolo, the New York Giants' defensive coordinator, do what no other team could?

Spagnuolo developed a game plan that applied constant pressure to quarterback Tom Brady and stopped the run at the same time. According to people within the Patriots' organization, the plan got some of its substance from game plans used against them earlier in the season -- specifically the Baltimore Ravens from Week 13 and the San Diego Chargers from the AFC Championship Game. And, of course, it had its own flavor.

Baltimore and San Diego got to Brady for a combined five sacks and another nine hits in those two games. Spagnuolo saw enough on the tapes to go forward with a game plan built on aggression. That plan -- the fire-zone package employed by Spagnuolo and the Giants -- was the vehicle to bring down New England.

As I wrapped up this summer's NFL.com camp tour, it was clear that teams throughout the league were developing packages similar to the Giants' plan. Defensive coaches realize that giving Brady, Peyton Manning and the other elite quarterbacks time to throw is a guaranteed way to get beat. The problem some teams face is that they don't have the critical components necessary to copy Spagnuolo's strategy.

Here are the two key ingredients needed to mimic the New York defense:

{see link}of course the steelers showed this plan when they beat the heavilly favorite colts in the 05 playoffs. coincidentally the broncos defeated the patriots using the same plan. i had always told our resident patfan that all you need to do to defeat brady is sack him or atleast knock him to the ground 3 times in the 1st half and he will get fustrated, flustered, start pressing, and eventually crack. he always denied this even when that game smacked him in the face with the truth.

the blueprint is old. it just takes a special team able to impliment it. lebeau has been cracking the codes of great offenses going back to bill walsh and the "west coast".

Tankus_Maximus
08-26-2008, 11:12 PM
You're 1000% correct in your analysis of how to beat the Pats*. Hit the lil bitch behind the center a couple of times, and he turns into Cinderella.

But what resident patfan would that have been, Ton?

The clone that just copied and pasted what he saw on other pat sites, and claimed to be a "football savant"?

Sure is a whole lot better without that Masshole around here!

Pip pip cheerio!

The Duke
08-27-2008, 01:46 AM
Spagnuolo really came into the spotlight didn't he

the man's smart, and thanks to him all teams will be able to beat the pats this season (ok, exaggeration, but we can dream :tt02:)

I'll be the 1st to say it....Chiefs beat the pats on week 1!! Glenn dorsey has a feast over brady

Now, I can't wait to see what our genius LeBeau has planned for the pats this season. woodley, timmons, davis. just imagine the possibilities...

Galax Steeler
08-27-2008, 04:19 AM
You're 1000% correct in your analysis of how to beat the Pats*. Hit the lil bitch behind the center a couple of times, and he turns into Cinderella.

I think you are exactly right.:toofunny:

fansince'76
08-27-2008, 11:58 AM
But what resident patfan would that have been, Ton?

The clone that just copied and pasted what he saw on other pat sites, and claimed to be a "football savant"?

Sure is a whole lot better without that Masshole around here!

Pip pip cheerio!

:chuckle:

revefsreleets
08-29-2008, 08:28 PM
I found this when I was cleaning out files...

How to Beat the Pats
By Revefsreleets
Written 10/14/07

Since I said I wouldn’t talk about it until the week we play them, I wrote this instead and sealed it up in the time capsule of “My Documents”.

I think it’s very simple, really, and not much different then when the Browns played them. Slow their offense down (and control the clock) by running the football, which their defense is very susceptible to. If they don’t have the ball, they can’t be scoring TD’s. On defense, pressure Brady into making quick decisions. It’s not necessary to shut them out, but if a team can hold them to under 30 points, they can be beaten by outscoring them. That defense is not as great as advertised, which is exactly why they are NOT the greatest team to ever play and all that other garbage. The game of football consists of 3 facets, and a below average special teams, an average defense and a great offense is not the recipe for the greatest team ever.