PDA

View Full Version : The AFC North Position by Position Breakdown: Quarterback

9-5
08-26-2008, 09:21 PM
First off, I'd would like to say I will be as objective as I can.

Position: Quarterback

1: Pittsburgh Steelers
Ben Roethlisberger might not be the best Fantasy Quarterback in the league, however he has something no other QB in the division has: A Super Bowl ring. Not to mention a defense that can win games for him if he were to have a bad game. And his QB was second only to some guy named Tom Brady. Like I said, not exactly Dan Marino. But, I'm sure Dan would trade some of his records for a ring.

2: Cincinnati Bengals
It is a shame such a talented QB is wasted on a team with no chance. Carson Palmer puts up huge numbers every week, including a 6 TD performance in week 2, in a loss. Until the Bungels gets a defense and a line to protect him, he will continue to put up big fantasy points for your team (the only winning team he will be on for a while)

3: Cleveland Browns
Now that Derek Anderson is the starter, he has the chance to put up some big numbers. The offense around him is scary good. 2 legitimate #1 guys in Braylon Edwards and Donte' Stallworth, the best receiving tight end in the league in Kellen Winslow, and a O-line any QB will kill for. If he struggles early, look for the "Golden Boy" Brady Quinn to take over, who in limited action with the starters last year, could turn into a exceptional QB in his own right.

4: Baltimore Ravens
As of now, the Ravens have not announced the opening day starter, but I highly doubt it will matter. Kyle Boller has shown nothing in his career to suggest he can start, Troy Smith is entering his just second year, but has shown flashes of the Heisman trophy winner he is. And while Joe Flacco might have the strongest arm in the draft, he is still a rookie and has yet to push himself into the starting job.

Thoughts? Opinions? Comments? Please feel free to post or PM.

Next up: Running backs (NOTE, Tailback and fullback are being grouped together)

9-5

CantStop85
08-26-2008, 09:31 PM
the best receiving tight end in the league in Kellen Winslow
Antonio Gates anyone?

fansince'76
08-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Antonio Gates anyone?

Got him on my FFL team. :banana:

TheWarDen86
08-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Antonio Gates anyone?

Yeah, Kellen is just a big name and not much else. I'd put Shockey ahead of him too, but Gates is the most productive "recieving TE" I think.

Honorable mentions are: Dallas Clark, Todd Heap, Jason Witten and .... Mike Vrabel? :wink02:

9-5
08-26-2008, 09:50 PM
So, no talk about my rankings? NOTHING?!

Maybe I should have put Ben last, that would of drawn a lot of attention. LOL

RoethlisBURGHer
08-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Actually your ranking aren't bad, I'd have to agree with them.

Ben is a damn good QB. He may not win pretty all the time, but I'd sure rather win ugly than lose pretty.

Palmer has tons of talent, but it's a waste on the Bengals.

Derek Anderson could be really good, mediocre, or just plain bad. He started playing badly towards the end of the year, after teams had a good amount of game film on him. No idea what they have in Quinn, but he could be the answer of Anderson faulters.

The Ravens really have nothing. Boller sucks, don't know what they have in Troy Smith, and Flacco is a rookie who probally wont see much playing time this year.

revefsreleets
08-27-2008, 08:28 AM
I'd agree with these. DA is better than the question mark the Ravens have right now. I do believe Billick stated that the opening day starter will be whoever is healthier between Boller and Smith.

vasteeler
08-27-2008, 10:43 AM
I'd agree with these. DA is better than the question mark the Ravens have right now. I do believe Billick stated that the opening day starter will be whoever is healthier between Boller and Smith.

Billick is no longer the head coach

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2008, 11:15 AM
So, no talk about my rankings? NOTHING?!

Maybe I should have put Ben last, that would of drawn a lot of attention. LOL

You're rankings are correct. Had you put Ben anywhere but 1st then you would have been identified as living in fantasy land, and I don't mean fantasy league land, I mean Narnia or Over the Rainbow.

Ben is the best QB in the AFC North, and he has the most complete team surrounding him in the conference.

STEELtownHAVOX
08-27-2008, 11:29 AM
good rankins, good to see an unbiased opinion by a rival member. Good luck, but not too much for you Brownies.

revefsreleets
08-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Well, whoever is coaching that team full of felons and thugs made that announcement...I don't follow the Ratbirds...

xfl2001fan
08-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Yeah, Kellen is just a big name and not much else. I'd put Shockey ahead of him too, but Gates is the most productive "recieving TE" I think.

Honorable mentions are: Dallas Clark, Todd Heap, Jason Witten and .... Mike Vrabel? :wink02:

As a receiving TE, I'd put him ahead of Todd Heap, Jason Witten and Shockey.

As a real TE (one who actually blocks) it's a way different story.

Antonio Gates and Dallas Clark are guys I'd compare him too on the receiving end. I think he's a better receiver (barely) than Dallas Clark, but Dallas is a better blocker (which isn't necessarily a comparison I'm happy to make.)

Gates' issue is his foot/toe injury that caused him problems last year and may cause some problems early on this season. I remember seeing something about that a month ago...can't remember the source either. I'm just left with a vague impression that it could be an issue.

Steelman16
08-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Those guys all suck.

Heath Miller is the best, and you know it!

If Miller played for the Cowboys or the Colts, he would be a Top-5 TE and have a pair of pro bowls by now.

43Hitman
08-27-2008, 02:53 PM
All in all I agree with your rankings. But I do take a bit of exception with Donte Stallworth. I don't think he is a "legitimate" #1 reciever.(There's that word again Tony) Donte is a great number 2 though. His only problem is that he has trouble staying healthy.

lilyoder6
08-27-2008, 02:55 PM
i would say that even though tony g is old.. he is a better blocker and a better receiving te than k2 is right now... tony has been constistant thru out his career as of k2 has not been w/ horrible games/ dumb off-field injuries

xfl2001fan
08-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Right now (as in this upcoming season), KWII is a better receiver than Gonzalez, but I have doubts that he'll top him as a better receiving TE over a career. Blocking...that's something I almost wonder if Deion Sanders could have done better.

steelreserve
08-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Ben Roethlisberger might not be the best Fantasy Quarterback in the league, however he has something no other QB in the division has: A Super Bowl ring.

That's not true. Charlie Batch has a Super Bowl ring too.

lilyoder6
08-27-2008, 10:09 PM
so does tommy maddox?? maybe??

Tankus_Maximus
08-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Antonio Gates anyone?

Heath Miller > all the other TE's in the league. :tt02:

9-5
08-27-2008, 11:43 PM
That's not true. Charlie Batch has a Super Bowl ring too.
Sorry about that, didn't know he was your back up then.

lilyoder6
08-28-2008, 11:56 AM
even duce staley has a ring??

steelreserve
08-28-2008, 12:07 PM
I think even Colclough has a ring.

GutterflowerSteel
09-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Not sure how reliable this site is, but I'm putting it out there:

http://masnsports.com/2008/09/the-quarterback-has-landed.html

The quarterback has landed!
By Roch Kubatko on September 1, 2008 12:16 PM | Permalink | Comments (3)

Quarterback Chris Simms, released by the Tampa Bay Bucs over the weekend, was last seen at baggage claim at BWI Airport, waiting for a member of the Ravens organization to transport him to the Owings Mills complex.

Simms confirmed to MASN's Jim Hunter, who happened to board the same Southwest flight, that he was meeting with the Ravens and hoped a deal could be worked out because he heard this is a great place to play.

Simms was among the final cuts by the Bucs, who chose Brian Griese as the backup to starter Jeff Garcia. He would provide insurance in case Troy Smith's tonsil infection keeps him out of Sunday's opener or Kyle Boller's shoulder injury lands him on IR. That leaves rookie Joe Flacco, who wasn't supposed to be thrown into the fire so soon.

Told that the Ravens might be hesitant to start a rookie, Simms replied: "From what I hear, they might have to."

Simms, the last pick in the third round of the 2003 draft out of the University of Texas, said his mother is most excited about the possibility of him playing in Baltimore because it's a short drive from Bergen County in New Jersey.

He also told Hunter that he used to pitch in high school, so the Orioles should be equally excited.

tony hipchest
09-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Not sure how reliable this site is, but I'm putting it out there:

http://masnsports.com/2008/09/the-quarterback-has-landed.html

pat kirwan has verified this. ( i think he broke the story and beat glazer and schefter to the punch!)

GutterflowerSteel
09-01-2008, 01:49 PM
pat kirwan has verified this. ( i think he broke the story and beat glazer and schefter to the punch!)
:thumbsup: Cool - Pat doesn't open his mouth unless he knows he's right.

lilyoder6
09-01-2008, 03:13 PM
wow, if the ravens get simms it could be a good move. to where he was playing good ball b4 his spleen blew up.. but on the bad side he hasn't played 4 a while