PDA

View Full Version : Merriman will play this season.

JackHammer
08-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Just seeing it now on ESPN. I can't believe he's doing this. What stubborn mofo.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Just seeing it now on ESPN. I can't believe he's doing this. What stubborn mofo.

WOW!!!....I just saw yesterday that his doctor thought that if he played on that knee this year...there was a possibility of him having a career ending injury...I like it when players are tough...but this is just STUPID!!!

Steelman16
08-27-2008, 01:34 PM
WOW!!!....I just saw yesterday that his doctor thought that if he played on that knee this year...there was a possibility of him having a career ending injury...I like it when players are tough...but this is just STUPID!!!

Guess all them 'roids addled his brains. :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Guess all them 'roids addled his brains. :chuckle:

I was just thinking the same thing!!!!!!!

tony hipchest
08-27-2008, 02:08 PM
a 4th doctor told him not to play. the team may shelf him for the year, and say to have the operation. he could file a grievance but probably lose.

gotta commend the balls of steel. if i were a player i would be absolutely crushed to miss a season (think rod woodson).

stlrtruck
08-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Stupid is as steroid does

43Hitman
08-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Stupid is as steroid does

:toofunny:

lilyoder6
08-27-2008, 02:57 PM
llt i told u like last week that shawn could have a career ending injury if he plays.. (i see u rly pay attention to other ppl's posts).. since he is merriman is being thick-headed after 4 dr's told him not to play this season.. i hope he gets hurt in the 1st game and his career is over... listen to the dr's.. thats y they get paid the big bucks

Preacher
08-27-2008, 03:03 PM
You're young...

take the year off, get the surgery, then come back for a very good career.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

The Duke
08-27-2008, 03:10 PM
:jawdrop:

I really thought he was smarter. silly me

san diego's FO has to take a stand in in this situation. the man may ruin his career

but if he wants to be stupid, then let him

can't wait to see jones drew block him into the ground again :sofunny:

millwalldavey
08-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Just listen for the *snap*.

STEELtownHAVOX
08-27-2008, 03:18 PM
.. i hope he gets hurt in the 1st game and his career is over... listen to the dr's.. thats y they get paid the big bucks

You're wrong in hoping someone gets hurt and has a career ending injury.

NJarhead
08-27-2008, 03:22 PM
He's an idiot. Unfortunately, he'll also likely regret this decision.

Edman
08-27-2008, 04:05 PM
He's got guts. I'll give him that.

He wants to take a gamble on not listening to doctors and risk it all, who am I to judge? It's his own money and career he's putting on the table, not mine. The Chargers have to take a stand on this. This season is probably San Diego's last big chance to win a title.

lilyoder6
08-27-2008, 04:06 PM
i know it's wrong and all and i usually don't like to say stuff like that.. but it's the fact that merriman is going to ignore 4 doctor's and play this season.. he's not thinking smart

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-27-2008, 04:35 PM
thats stupid............They should not let him play.....

revefsreleets
08-27-2008, 04:37 PM
This will end badly for him. Even if he's okay, this will have a lasting impact...and if he tries to use this at contract time, it won't work. His loyalty will far exceed the Chargers.

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2008, 04:44 PM
So, we play them this year right? That means instead of a full speed linebacker in Merriman's position, we are going to get a wounded duck to have to block.

I'll take it. Good luck fool.

stillers4me
08-27-2008, 04:46 PM
While I won't go as far as to say I HOPE he ends up hurt, I have to say that if he is going to play against the advise of not one but four doctors, then if the worst happens, then he's asked for it.

Sit out a year, dude.

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2008, 04:47 PM
He can't sit out, next year is a contract year and if he wants to get an extension he has to prove himself now, otherwise, he'll have to sit, and then go into the 09 season without a deal in place and be forced to take steriods...I mean work hard...in order to get a great deal out of SD or get a great deal on the open market.

revefsreleets
08-27-2008, 05:06 PM
He can't sit out, next year is a contract year and if he wants to get an extension he has to prove himself now, otherwise, he'll have to sit, and then go into the 09 season without a deal in place and be forced to take steriods...I mean work hard...in order to get a great deal out of SD or get a great deal on the open market.

Disagree. His resume speaks for itself. No team in the NFL would hold sitting out and getting healthy against him...if he sits, he'll be one of the, if not THE highest paid LB next contract.

But he's almost certainly going to make the injury worse by playing...I mean there's just no chance that it's not going to do more damage. He's going to end up an average LB with a short career and he could be one of the greats.

He needs to sit...

Texasteel
08-27-2008, 05:09 PM

If he's walk on sticks this time next year he won't get much of a contract either.
Obviously he thinks he can't be hurt or he wouldn't be doing it. After all what do the doctors you.
A brain is a terrible thing to waste Merriman.:crutches:

Preacher
08-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Disagree. His resume speaks for itself. No team in the NFL would hold sitting out and getting healthy against him...if he sits, he'll be one of the, if not THE highest paid LB next contract.

But he's almost certainly going to make the injury worse by playing...I mean there's just no chance that it's not going to do more damage. He's going to end up an average LB with a short career and he could be one of the greats.

He needs to sit...

Personally,

I would think a surgery to repair TWO ligaments (I beleive) in the off-season would hinder him more next year and cut his contract worth down, pushing more money into bonuses.

So rev. is correct. Sit now and get the surgery. Don't blow up the knee and be out in 3 to 5 years.

Grow up kid, this is your future.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Someone needs to explain to this kid that it's almost a gauranteed career ender to play on that knee this year.

But hey it's his career, his knee, his health (now and futue). But one thing is for sure, if he ends up with a career ending injury out of this, I will not feel one bit bad for him because he was told to have the surgery and sit out the season by four doctors.

revefsreleets
08-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Agree. No one to blame but himself...

CantStop85
08-27-2008, 06:22 PM
I like the attitude...but that's a battle he's just not going to win.

The Chargers should intervene and go ahead and shelve him before he ruins his career.

steelreserve
08-27-2008, 06:36 PM
If I was coaching the Chargers, I wouldn't want to count on a guy who's playing on a bad leg and is constantly one step away from a ruinous injury. He's supposed to anchor my defense? That's just stupid. I'd tell him to have fun sitting on the f***ing bench for all 16 games if he's not going to get surgery.

That said, if he comes back and plays, and something terrible does happen, it serves him right. He'd get about as much sympathy from me as a drunk driver would.

fansince'76
08-27-2008, 06:37 PM
If I was coaching the Chargers, I wouldn't want to count on a guy who's playing on a bad leg and is constantly one step away from a ruinous injury. He's supposed to anchor my defense? That's just stupid. I'd tell him to have fun sitting on the f***ing bench for all 16 games if he's not going to get surgery.

I couldn't agree more, but look at who their HC is. He'll play. :dang:

HometownGal
08-27-2008, 07:19 PM
i hope he gets hurt in the 1st game and his career is over... listen to the dr's.. thats y they get paid the big bucks

I think it's appalling to wish injury on any athlete (well except for Stinko Crotcho :chuckle: :wink02:). Bad karma has a way of coming back to bite you in the rump. :nono: Merriman is being a big boob here, admittedly, but it's his career to screw up and he'll have no one to blame but himself if it goes down the shitter.

Texasteel
08-27-2008, 08:04 PM
I would never hope anybody gets hurt, but if he does, look on the bright side. He could audition for the part as scarecrow in the Wizard of OZ.
Talk about type casting.

All kidding aside this guy is stupid for risking his entire career because he's afraid he may not get that giant contract.
If he gets though the hole year and doesn't get hurt this is still a stupid thing to do.

HometownGal
08-27-2008, 08:09 PM
I would never hope anybody gets hurt, but if he does, look on the bright side. He could audition for the part as scarecrow in the Wizard of OZ.
Talk about type casting.

Nope - CJ has that part nailed down pat.

"Life would be a dingle derry if he only had a brain". :chuckle:

steel striker
08-27-2008, 08:11 PM
This should be a no brainer but, once again Merriman thinks he can just be a tough guy. Well all it will take is one good hit to his knee and, his career might be over.

Edman
08-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Reading this topic and this story makes my knees hurt.

We'll see how this plays out. I'm not rooting for an injury, but all it takes is one foul up; one pile rolling over his knee and his season and probably his career is shot.

43Hitman
08-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Merriman is being a fool. His agent should step in as well as his coaches.

lilyoder6
08-27-2008, 10:06 PM
i agree. if he sat out this yr.. i still think sd will reward him.. he has done great 4 them and will cont to do so if he doesn't "crack" under pressure

Tankus_Maximus
08-27-2008, 10:18 PM
dude, not smart

JackHammer
08-27-2008, 10:33 PM

Playing this season is going to hurt his knee more IMO(and I'm far from being a dr.). Hurting his knee more will only result in getting paid less in his next contract. He needs to go under the knife and get healthy ASAP, if he's looking to get paid as much as he possibly can.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-27-2008, 11:00 PM
I thought that he is now saying its not a potentially career threatening injury??? Even so, he should just get the surgery done and come back healthy next season.

If the guy has the guts to play injured on a bad knee....he should have the guts to sit out a season and play on a 1 year deal next season to prove he is rehabbed.

This makes Mo Clarett's decision to quit OSU after 1 season to enter the draft look like a good idea.

klick81
08-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Not the smartest man on the football field huh? This is where the coaching staff needs to step in and protect the special ones from themselves.

lilyoder6
08-28-2008, 11:38 AM
i would do that to.. the coaches have the power to either put him on the pup list or the ir...

steelreserve
08-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Not the smartest man on the football field huh? This is where the coaching staff needs to step in and protect the special ones from themselves.

Yeah, he's so "special" they probably need to give him a helmet.

Oh, wait.

Galax Steeler
08-29-2008, 03:50 AM
I disagree with his decision he could hurt the team more if he has a carrer ending injury why not sit out a year and come back a 100% next year.

stlrtruck
08-29-2008, 08:13 AM
I disagree with his decision he could hurt the team more if he has a carrer ending injury why not sit out a year and come back a 100% next year.

Because the roids have destroyed the brain cells that would have given him that logical thought process.

JackHammer
09-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Update: Merriman is now OUT for the SEASON. Who would've thunk it? :noidea: