PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Ranks #14, What do you think?

oldschool
08-27-2008, 01:44 PM
NBC Sports has ranked the Steelers' 2nd year coach at number 14, a pretty fair assessment in my opinion. The comments about his first playoff game hit home, but not bad for the first year, What does the rest of the Nation think?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26346208/?pg=15#spt_rankingNFL_coaches

Steelman16
08-27-2008, 01:53 PM
As you said, fair assesment. He came as a rookie to an already loaded team, so going to the playoffs was not a big deal, IMO. He's still middle-of-the-pack, but I think with another solid year and a playoff run of some extent, he could emerge toward the top in terms of coaches rankings.

fansince'76
08-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Shanahan's getting a lot of mileage out of the "Elway era." The Broncos haven't done squat in almost a decade, and he's more than proven to be a walking clusterfook as a personnel evaluator but he's still ranked 7th? Whatever. 14th is about right for Tomlin at this point, though.

tony hipchest
08-27-2008, 02:04 PM
its a pretty simple list to comprise based on tenure, sb wins, and sb appearances.

under that criteria, tomlin (or anyone below him) will never be able to climb that list until he wins one.

SteelCurtain
08-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Shanahan's getting a lot of mileage out of the "Elway era." The Broncos haven't done squat in almost a decade, and he's more than proven to be a walking clusterfook as a personnel evaluator but he's still ranked 7th? Whatever. 14th is about right for Tomlin at this point, though.

I agree with you to some extent, but didn't they make it to the AFC Championship game in '05?? That isn't exactly doing nothing in almost a decade....

fansince'76
08-27-2008, 02:20 PM
I agree with you to some extent, but didn't they make it to the AFC Championship game in '05?? That isn't exactly doing nothing in almost a decade....

OK, next to nothing then. Besides the 2005 season, they've bowed out in the WC round 3 times (all by embarrassing blowouts) and missed the playoffs entirely 5 other times going back to 1999. I stand by my earlier statement that his ranking of 7th on that list is primarily due to the team's success in the "Elway era," which ended a decade ago. I also stand by my assessment of his talent evaluation skills as well. Letting Lynch go to the Patriots, despite his ability to still play? His idea. The brilliant move of completely wasting a 3rd round pick on Maurice Clarett, who before he was even drafted already had "Lawrence Phillips Redux" written all over him? His idea. Bringing Plummer in for huge $$$$? His idea, and that one wound up being a double-whammy as it shot to hell once and for all his rep of being a "wizard" as far as his ability to mold and coach up QBs after his failure to turn Brian Griese into a franchise QB. Sure, he's a "QB coaching wizard" when the QBs in question are HoF-worthy talents like Elway and Steve Young - but then, you or I could be "QB coaching wizards" with those kinds of QBs.

stlrtruck
08-27-2008, 02:24 PM
It's an ok assessment. However, I think he's better than Payton, Gruden, Holmgren, and Smith - so he should be top 10...but maybe, JUST MAYBE, that's the Steeler in me.

oldschool
08-27-2008, 02:38 PM
I’m expecting big things out of Tomlin this year, I have been impressed with the way the young man has carried himself from the very beginning. After his first season you can see some subtle differences in the way he’s handling things, ( i.e.; Big Snack). I can see him being ranked in the top ten by next year, Mr. Rooney is seldom wrong with personnel decisions.

Havik
08-27-2008, 06:39 PM
I think #14 is fair, however it does bother me to see Belicheat ranked #1, though I'm not surprised. I guess integrity really isn't an important quality to the media.

Texasteel
08-27-2008, 06:58 PM
I really don't give a flip what the other coached are ranked, but I would say that a very young coach that is going to be around for a long time, in his 1st job as a head coach, ranking in the top half of all NFL head coaches, is pretty darn good. Even if he was given a pretty good team.
I would say we have a keeper guys.

HometownGal
08-27-2008, 07:29 PM
It's an ok assessment. However, I think he's better than Payton, Gruden, Holmgren, and Smith - so he should be top 10...but maybe, JUST MAYBE, that's the Steeler in me.

Add John Fox to that list. Other than being able to chomp bubble gum like a cow chewing its cud and blowing bubbles on the sidelines, he stinks as a HC imho. I will give him a pass for the 2003 season but other than that, he's as blah a HC as there is out there. I still maintain that if he doesn't make the playoffs this season, Cowher will be taking his spot next season.

As for Tomlin at #14, I think for his debut as a HC, that's pretty damned good.

I see the media hasn't taken its collective set of lips off Beliprick*'s weenie.

TheWarDen86
08-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Okay, is this ranking them according to some prediction or based on last years performance?

If by last year, then shouldn't Coughlin be at least #2? He beat the unbeatable (well, so did Steve Spagnuolo).

If by prediction, then why are they talking about Tomlin's decisions from last year?

Personally, I find it very difficult to rank our Coach. I'm happy with him thus far, but he's not had much of a chance to accomplish anything. In the long run I think he'll be nearer to the top.

TheWarDen86
08-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Add John Fox to that list. Other than being able to chomp bubble gum like a cow chewing its cud and blowing bubbles on the sidelines, he stinks as a HC imho. I will give him a pass for the 2003 season but other than that, he's as blah a HC as there is out there. I still maintain that if he doesn't make the playoffs this season, Cowher will be taking his spot next season.

As for Tomlin at #14, I think for his debut as a HC, that's pretty damned good.

I see the media hasn't taken its collective set of lips off Beliprick*'s weenie.

He may not be the best HC but I think they've had a high rate of players on the IR lately too. Don't they already have two digit IR attendance this year? I agree that when he leaves it's Cowhers new home, but John Fox took them to the SB early on (and may very well have been cheated in a 3 point loss to you-know-who). He's my second favorite Defensive guy in the NFL and a hell of a nice guy. :thumbsup: :wink02:

Texasteel
08-27-2008, 07:46 PM
The media is not about to back off of Bellycheat. They have been pumping him up for years, claiming that he's the greatest ever, genius for all times, master of the universe. Even after he got caught blatantly cheating all you heard was, everybody does it, it didn't make any difference anyway.
For them to admit that he may be an average coach would be admitting that they were wrong, and everyone knows these self proclaimed experts are never wrong.

Where the hell is that sarcastic smiley.

19ward86
08-27-2008, 07:52 PM
14 is solid for only being a 1 year guy so far. I think this is a very fair assessment.

HometownGal
08-27-2008, 08:02 PM
He may not be the best HC but I think they've had a high rate of players on the IR lately too. Don't they already have two digit IR attendance this year? I agree that when he leaves it's Cowhers new home, but John Fox took them to the SB early on (and may very well have been cheated in a 3 point loss to you-know-who). He's my second favorite Defensive guy in the NFL and a hell of a nice guy. :thumbsup: :wink02:

Yes, the Panthers have had a number of starters on their IR in recent years and Delhomme has been hurt early on in the last 2 seasons, if I remember correctly. We'll have to agree to disagree on his HC'ing abilities, though I will agree - he has a great defensive mind.

I'm sure he is a nice guy, but being a nice guy doesn't necessarily make one a good coach. :wink02:

TheWarDen86
08-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Yes, the Panthers have had a number of starters on their IR in recent years and Delhomme has been hurt early on in the last 2 seasons, if I remember correctly. We'll have to agree to disagree on his HC'ing abilities, though I will agree - he has a great defensive mind.

I'm sure he is a nice guy, but being a nice guy doesn't necessarily make one a good coach. :wink02:

No it doesn't. I'm admittedly biased. lol. :wink02:

I'll tell you though, when the day comes that LeBeau retires and we go to a 4-3 D, I would trust only him to get it going. Just my thoughts.

P.S. I'm sorry to even bring up the thought of Dick LeBeau retiring. It's too depressing a thought.

steeltheone
08-27-2008, 09:11 PM
14th is probably a gift. Like it or not our schedule last year was cake. If Mike takes us to the playoffs this year ( i hope) then he could be ranked in the top 16.

moedap
08-27-2008, 09:49 PM
I think 14 was a gift as said earlier. I would have put Romeo Crennel before Tomlin. He inherited a mess in Cleveland yet his teams have been getting more competitive each year. Plus he doesnt have the ownership and management team that Tomlin has the good fortune to have.

lilyoder6
08-27-2008, 10:04 PM
but still tomlin did improve the steelers record by 2 wins.. i think it's good enough for right now.. he justs needs to keep climbing the ladder

fansince'76
08-27-2008, 10:47 PM
14th is probably a gift. Like it or not our schedule last year was cake.

Tomlin went 10-6 in 2007 and made the playoffs as a rookie HC against a schedule of opponents that collectively went 131-125 (.511) in 2006.

Cowher went 8-8 in 2006 and missed the playoffs as a 15-year veteran HC against a schedule of opponents that collectively went 136-120 (.531) in 2005. Where would Cowher rank then? Middle of the pack?

And it seems to me that a schedule of opponents who went collectively above .500 the year before is anything but "cake."

TheWarDen86
08-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Tomlin went 10-6 in 2007 and made the playoffs as a rookie HC against a schedule of opponents that collectively went 131-125 (.511) in 2006.

Cowher went 8-8 in 2006 and missed the playoffs as a 15-year veteran HC against a schedule of opponents that collectively went 136-120 (.531) in 2005. Where would Cowher rank then? Middle of the pack?

And it seems to me that a schedule of opponents who went collectively above .500 the year before is anything but "cake."

Damn. Tough to argue with that!

Dodt
08-28-2008, 12:18 AM
i think it might have been on how the steelers lost those games and his decision making .

Steel Pit
08-28-2008, 01:10 AM
[QUOTE=moedap;428013]I think 14 was a gift as said earlier. I would have put Romeo Crennel before Tomlin. He inherited a mess in Cleveland yet his teams have been getting more competitive each year. Plus he doesnt have the ownership and management team that Tomlin has the good fortune to have.[/QUOTE

LMAO, that's a good one.

Steel Pit
08-28-2008, 01:44 AM
#14 is alright, I believe that he should have been in the top 12 seeing that 12 teams made it to the playoffs last season and Tomlin's team was one of them. I'm not going to beach about a spot or two. If they do this poll again in 09, then you can rest assured that Mike Tomlin will be in the top 10. :tt::tt02::tt02::tt03:

Galax Steeler
08-28-2008, 03:18 AM
I would say Tomlin will climb some in those rankings in the next few years hopefully he will have a superbowl win by then.

atlsteelers
08-28-2008, 09:46 AM
i think tomlin should be ranked in the bottom 20 unitl he learns when to go for 2. he acted like a pop warner coach in that playoff game. well on second thought, i have to say some pop warner coaches, because my coaches would never have been so stupid. i think the wiz should be ranked higher for getting 8 wins out of arizona.

steeltheone
08-28-2008, 10:52 AM
i think the wiz should be ranked higher for getting 8 wins out of arizona.

Very True.....Call em as you see em' to many homers here.

steeltheone
08-28-2008, 10:55 AM
That being said, at the end of the day lets hope Mike is in the top 5. He will have every opportunity.

stlrtruck
08-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Although I thought he should be at #10, I really don't care where he's ranked as long as he brings home The TROPHY many more times....he can be ranked 32 out of 32 coaches and it wouldn't matter.

lilyoder6
08-28-2008, 11:35 AM
well honeslty.. in hind sight of that playoff game, yeah it was stupid.. but he was just trying to get to a point to tie the game up.. in just happened that we scored again to go up by a few points.. it's one of those things.. and i think it was the right move b/c u never know when u gonna get another chance to score

fansince'76
08-28-2008, 11:40 AM
i think tomlin should be ranked in the bottom 20 unitl he learns when to go for 2. he acted like a pop warner coach in that playoff game. well on second thought, i have to say some pop warner coaches, because my coaches would never have been so stupid.

In the WC game, when the Steelers scored a TD to make it 28-23, he went for two - according to the 2-point conversion chart (http://www.normhitzges.com/thechart.htm) , he was supposed to do that being down by 5 points. The Steelers then scored another TD to take the lead 29-28, and he went for the 2-point conversion again, which according to the chart, was exactly what he should have done with a 1-point lead. I'd say he knows when to go for 2 and when not to.

SteelMember
08-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Although I thought he should be at #10, I really don't care where he's ranked as long as he brings home The TROPHY many more times....he can be ranked 32 out of 32 coaches and it wouldn't matter.

I agree.:thumbsup:

Even though looking at this list tends to make me believe there are a few he should be in front of, in the end it dosen't really matter. It's like trying to convince everybody Ben is a top 3 QB, although "most" us us wouldn't disagree with that.:flap:

It's all about the W's.

atlsteelers
08-28-2008, 12:18 PM
In the WC game, when the Steelers scored a TD to make it 28-23, he went for two - according to the 2-point conversion chart (http://www.normhitzges.com/thechart.htm) , he was supposed to do that being down by 5 points. The Steelers then scored another TD to take the lead 29-28, and he went for the 2-point conversion again, which according to the chart, was exactly what he should have done with a 1-point lead. I'd say he knows when to go for 2 and when not to.

the 2 point conversion chart - does it take into account the time left in the game
the 2 point conversion chart - does not take into account the holding call

if we are not called for holding i can go along with going for 2 but after the holding call not a chance.

DACEB
08-28-2008, 12:33 PM
OK, next to nothing then. Besides the 2005 season, they've bowed out in the WC round 3 times (all by embarrassing blowouts) and missed the playoffs entirely 5 other times going back to 1999.

I think Shannahan is a top ten coach, but your points are valid and bring up an interesting point. Denver has gotten blown out in recent playoff appearances, except when they played N.E.. The same N.E. team that has nearly dominated the entire league, has been owned by Denver during the same span. Does anyone find that interesting? It's been brought up in certain circles before that Shannahan has spyed on other teams and that he takes measures against the same being done to him. Just a thought, I'll bet Shannahan changes his signals everytime he plays the Pats.

All this talk of coaches has me thinking, like some others have already. Who would we all like to see take over for Lebeau as DC when he retires? I would love to land Wade Phillips when he's done in Dallas, which won't be long. Dick Jauron would be another.

Steel Pit
08-28-2008, 11:03 PM
I think Shannahan is a top ten coach, but your points are valid and bring up an interesting point. Denver has gotten blown out in recent playoff appearances, except when they played N.E.. The same N.E. team that has nearly dominated the entire league, has been owned by Denver during the same span. Does anyone find that interesting? It's been brought up in certain circles before that Shannahan has spyed on other teams and that he takes measures against the same being done to him. Just a thought, I'll bet Shannahan changes his signals everytime he plays the Pats.

All this talk of coaches has me thinking, like some others have already. Who would we all like to see take over for Lebeau as DC when he retires? I would love to land Wade Phillips when he's done in Dallas, which won't be long. Dick Jauron would be another.

Here's a long shot to take over when LeBeau retires, JOHN LYNCH! That would be sweet. Who knows, it could happen.