PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Pittsburgh Steelers (Consensus division finish: 1st)

STEELtownHAVOX
08-27-2008, 03:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview08/team?team=pit

2008 NFL Preview

PITTSBURGH STEELERS (Consensus division finish: 1st)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is part of the article, too much to post.

Best offensive player: QB Ben Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger had 3,154 yards passing and 32 touchdowns in '07. He is close to joining the NFL's elite quarterbacks and could solidify his spot next to Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer with an even bigger year in 2008.

Best defensive player: Safety Troy Polamalu. He is the heart and soul of the Steelers' defense, and his speed and smarts allow Pittsburgh a flexibility on defense that few teams have.

Best playmaker: Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger is dangerous with his arms and legs. Poor pass protection often has forced him to scramble and make plays on the run.

Best unheralded player: DT Casey Hampton. Playing the nose tackle in a 3-4 defense is one of the most difficult things to do in the NFL. Hampton's stats (33 tackles in 2007) rarely stand out, but he's one of the best at holding his ground at the point of attack and allowing other players like Polamalu and linebackers James Harrison, James Farrior and Larry Foote to run free and make plays.

:helmet::helmet:

fansince'76
08-27-2008, 03:13 PM
He is close to joining the NFL's elite quarterbacks and could solidify his spot next to Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer with an even bigger year in 2008.

What is with the Palmer love fest? My bad - it's a Disney, err, ESPN article. All flash, no substance.

stlrtruck
08-27-2008, 04:03 PM
it's a Disney, err, ESPN article. All flash, no substance.

You mean it's all make believe and fantasy? Didn't you know that carson, right now is preparing to have breakfast with the princess'?

43Hitman
08-27-2008, 04:15 PM
You mean it's all make believe and fantasy? Didn't you know that carson, right now is preparing to have breakfast with the princess'?

Cinderella or Snow White?

STEELtownHAVOX
08-27-2008, 04:19 PM

Fiona, she's the only one that would accept him with that new nose.

43Hitman
08-27-2008, 04:20 PM
:applaudit: :sofunny:

stlrtruck
08-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Fiona, she's the only one that would accept him with that new nose.

I thought it was Sleeping Beauty and Belle!!!

Maybe it's Lady from Lady and the Tramp :toofunny:

lilyoder6
08-27-2008, 05:04 PM
i see that most of the analists are giving us the number 1 spot w/ a few number 2's...

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2008, 05:13 PM
As is the case with ESPN, Sports Illustrated picks the Steelers to win the AFC North - projected 10-6 record

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1144661/index.htm

These are the unit grades

QB B+
Byron Leftwich provides quality veteran backup.

RB B+
Rookie Rashard Mendenhall adds a dimension.

WR B-
Need to keep Holmes healthy and get rookie Limas Sweed ready.

TE B
Miller is the latest standard-bearer for an always strong unit.

OL C
The team's Achilles heel; failed to protect Roethlisberger in '07.

DL A
Remains one of league's toughest clubs to run against.

LB A
Have some very good rushers and excellent speed.

DB B
Playmakers at all positions; best when the rush is going well.

ST B
From kicking game through coverage units, solid all around.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1144662/index.htm

Giving Ben a B+ is a joke (Carson Palmer of course gets an A:banging:)

Edman
08-27-2008, 05:13 PM
I'll take it for what it is. A late preseason fluff article. We could just as easily blow it against Houston Week 1 and then BSPN will jump on another bandwagon. How quickly we forget how the Steelers blew very winnable games to inferior teams and decided to not show up for most road games last year.

I agree that the Steelers have the talent and are capable of doing big things this year, if they don't trip over their own shoelaces.

Let the Carson Palmer slobber-fest continue. We'll see how elite he is when Cinci has another 8-8 season.

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2008, 05:20 PM
I'll take it for what it is. A late preseason fluff article. We could just as easily blow it against Houston Week 1 and then BSPN will jump on another bandwagon. How quickly we forget how the Steelers blew very winnable games to inferior teams and decided to not show up for most road games last year.

I agree that the Steelers have the talent and are capable of doing big things this year, if they don't trip over their own shoelaces.

Let the Carson Palmer slobber-fest continue. We'll see how elite he is when Cinci has another 8-8 season.

8-8?? :toofunny:

SI picks the Bengals to go 5 -11 and finish last in the division.
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1144611/index.htm

If Palmer is so consistently great why are the Bengals so consistently awful?

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Its nice to see that I'm not the only chump that sat through the Browns, Bengals and Ravens Pre-Season games to "scout" our division rivals, and that some folks at ESPN have finally realized..."those Steelers are still the best of the bunch."

tony hipchest
08-27-2008, 05:52 PM
8-8?? :toofunny:

SI picks the Bengals to go 5 -11 and finish last in the division.
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1144611/index.htm

If Palmer is so consistently great why are the Bengals so consistently awful?ive been browsing our local bengalboard every time something really crappy happens to their team (which means about once a week).

that has become a bunch of sad sack fans. i think most are hoping for 4-12, and are resigned to another top 5 pick which they all a seem to agree, the bengals will screw that up too.

as far as ben goes, he was also the 2nd leading rushing qb last year too! (#1 vince young). he even beat mike vick. :chuckle: ben should get an 'A' for his houdini acts alone. (not to mention passer rating, YPA, td/int ratio.

as far as talent across the board, i think after this season we will be mentioned up there with dallass and san diego

xfl2001fan
08-27-2008, 07:27 PM

Nah, Rupaul!

CantStop85
08-27-2008, 07:33 PM
ive been browsing our local bengalboard every time something really crappy happens to their team (which means about once a week).

that has become a bunch of sad sack fans. i think most are hoping for 4-12, and are resigned to another top 5 pick which they all a seem to agree, the bengals will screw that up too.

Not me man, I still believe. :tt03: If the Bengals can get semi-healthy, I still think they'll have a decent team. The defense should be at least a little better than last year and the offense will be fine as long as Carson's still behind center, not to mention Chris Perry starting instead of Rudi Johnson.

HometownGal
08-27-2008, 08:40 PM
What is with the Palmer love fest? My bad - it's a Disney, err, ESPN article. All flash, no substance.

And Hannah Montana is going to jump out of a cake at the Bungles home opener eating a John Morrell weenie. :chuckle:

I'm in total agreement with that statement, as well. :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
08-27-2008, 08:46 PM
And Hannah Montana is going to jump out of a cake at the Bungles home opener eating a John Morrell weenie. :chuckle:

Chris Henry can buy her beer...

19ward86
08-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Giving our recievers a B- is a big joke.

Galax Steeler
08-28-2008, 04:28 AM
I don't understand how carson is above ben what has carson done for his team he ain't took them to no superbowl or nothing.

lilyoder6
08-28-2008, 12:54 PM
carson is a good qb.. if anything he should of put them as the same... and the bengals d and the arrest warrants are the reason y the bengals can't go far

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-28-2008, 12:59 PM
i see that most of the analists are giving us the number 1 spot w/ a few number 2's...

Yeah....I think those are the same analysts that said last season the AFC North would be

Ravens
Bengals
Steelers
Browns

in that order. I wish they would not curse us.

The_WARDen
08-28-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't put any stock in SI or ESPN. I believe SI predicts that the SB will be Patriots over the bEagles. Enough said, it ain't 2004 and the bEagles aren't even the best team in their own division much less the conference.
:blah::blah::blah:

HometownGal
08-28-2008, 03:21 PM
carson is a good qb.. if anything he should of put them as the same... and the bengals d and the arrest warrants are the reason y the bengals can't go far

Cartoon is a half decent QB but the team could be a smidgeon better if he took the binkie out of his mouth so his teammates could hear the signals. :binky::binky:

No - the Bungles can't go far for one reason and one reason alone . . .

they SUCK. :chuckle:

Hines0wnz
08-28-2008, 03:22 PM

I never understood that either. What happened to the school of thought that you had to actually win a playoff game to be considered elite? Now its come down to the same thing as getting a trophy in little league (et al sports) no matter where you finish. And he didnt even finish his only playoff appearance. :coffee:

Ben may never have the numbers that Peyton, Palmer and Brady have because of the balanced offense and superior defense. Although that is arguable in Peyton's defense.

stillers4me
08-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Cartoon is a half decent QB but the team could be a smidgeon better if he took the binkie out of his mouth so his teammates could hear the signals. :binky::binky:

(Stillers wiping the tears from laughing so hard......) :applaudit:

I honestly think that if we can win the division with our schedule, the playoffs will be a cakewalk.

CantStop85
08-28-2008, 07:32 PM
And he didnt even finish his only playoff appearance. :coffee:

Yeah, what a pu$$y.

43Hitman
08-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Yeah, what a pu$$y.

He is a Bengal after all...

lilyoder6
08-28-2008, 10:29 PM
well the teams we would play in the playoffs we are playing in the ref season it looks like