PDA

View Full Version : The AFC North Position by Position Breakdown: Running backs

9-5
08-28-2008, 12:15 AM
(NOTE: Running backs includes tailbacks and fullbacks)

Position: Running backs
Not exactly easy, as all 4 teams have above average backfields

1: Pittsburgh Steelers
Knocks aside, Fast Willie Parker is a exceptional back. Sure, he might not be as able to get the tough yards as, say Jerome Bettis, but he certainly makes up for it with agility and sheer speed. Melwelde Moore is a quality 3DRB, and rookie Rashard Mendenhall has the physical skills to do big things in this league. At fullback, Carey Davis is a versatile back who can block and catch. Once again, the Steelers edge out the rest of the field.

2: Cleveland Browns
Jamal Lewis proved all the nay-sayers wrong with a 1300 yard, 9 TD season in 2007. A power running back, he helped compliment a very explosive offense with his aggressive running style. When he reported to camp this year, he looked as light as he did in college. That spells bad news for opposing defenders this season. Jason Wright is the blocking back, used in most obvious passing downs. Scat back Jerome "the ghost" Harrison has shown promise, but seems to be disliked by the coaching staff, limiting his chances. Fullback Lawrence Vickers is one of the best young fullbacks in the league, a excellent blocker and a decent receiver out of the backfield.

3: Baltimore Ravens
Willis McGahee is still a above average runner, similar to Jamal Lewis but perhaps a tad quicker. He put up good numbers behind a clearly wash-ed up line, and can still bust it on any play. After McGahee, look for rookie Ray Rice to spell and maybe 3DRB. At fullback, Le'Ron McClain is a decent blocker. A far cry from just a couple years ago, the Ravens vaunted run game is a shadow of what it was.

4: Cincinnati Bengals
The days of Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu D Johnson pounding away at defenses seems all but gone. He took major steps back last year, rushing for a measly 497 yards. This year, look for Chris Perry and Kenny Watson to split carries. Both are balanced backs who fit in well with Cincinnati's offense. At fullback, Jeremi Johnson has been plowing holes with the best of em for a while. Now, if only they had a quarterback named Johnson........"Johnson hands it off to Johnson.... no its a fake. Johnson passes it to Johnson coming out of the backfield for a first down.....nice throw there by Johnson......":rofl:

Next up: Receivers (Tight ends included)

9-5

Galax Steeler
08-28-2008, 04:00 AM
Looks like we are at the top of the north again with the best running backs.

stillers4me
08-28-2008, 07:24 AM
Hopefully I'll never have to listen to Brad Johansen scream "Touchdown, Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudyyyyyy!!" ever again on my radio in the car. Drove us both crazy.

Tankus_Maximus
08-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Yeah, what happened to all that Rudi hype from a couple of years ago CS85???? Pretty quiet now eh? No worries, I'd be quiet too about a RB that was once compared to Jerome Bettis, but now resembles Lamont Jordan.

stlrtruck
08-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Yeah, what happened to all that Rudi hype from a couple of years ago CS85???? Pretty quiet now eh? No worries, I'd be quiet too about a RB that was once compared to Jerome Bettis, but now resembles Lamont Jordan.

Dude even Lamont has better upswing that Rudi.

lilyoder6
08-28-2008, 11:47 AM
well rudi himself is expecting to be traded this yr.. i think chris perry could be a good back for them. but y not go after the likes of kevin jones b4 he signed.. or even look at alexander to spilt carries w/..

steelreserve
08-28-2008, 12:16 PM
You know, this is a welcome change from the last couple of seasons. Last year, I would've put us third or even fourth. We did not have our shit together at all after Jerome left.

The Duke
08-28-2008, 02:57 PM
bengals should get dookie :chuckle:

stlrtruck
08-28-2008, 03:25 PM
I heard the deuce is available!

CantStop85
08-28-2008, 06:26 PM

What hype? In the 3 years prior to last season he rushed for 1,454 yards and 12 TD's; 1,458 yards and 12 TD's; and 1,309 yards and 12 TD's, breaking the Bengals single-season rushing record twice in that span. That's not hype...that's just production.

That being said, he lost a lot of tread on the tires during that span. Last year he tried to slim down in order to help compensate for his lack of quickness, but it just resulted in him continuously getting hurt and getting away from his strengths (running downhill).

Unless he has a Jamal Lewis-esque revival, I think he's headed down a similar road to Shaun Alexander. He had a few awesome years, but the shelf life of any running back, especially one that took as many hits and had as many carries as Rudi, is very short now-a-days.

Tankus_Maximus
08-28-2008, 10:41 PM
3 years prior?!?!?! that's your measuring stick for production?!?!

using that kind of logic, it's only fitting you're a bungles fan. not all too long ago you (yes YOU CS85) were comparing Rudi Johnson to Jerome Bettis. And I, being the humanitarian that I am, was here to point out that was like comparing horse manure (Rudi) to ice cream (da' Bus). But nonethless, I digress. Using your mathematic equation for success, we can say that Aaron Brooks was a far productive QB than Carson Palmer (Brooks 21 TD, 3810 yds as opposed to Palmer's 18 TD, 2897 yds).

Hell, anybody can say that they used to be good, but Rudi, much like the Bungles was a flash in the pan for not all that long, that quickly faded away.

Much like Rudi's diminishing career, the Bungles "window of opportunity" to win a Super Bowl is quickly coming to an end.

Whether you like it, or don't like it, learn to live with it.

What hype? In the 3 years prior to last season he rushed for 1,454 yards and 12 TD's; 1,458 yards and 12 TD's; and 1,309 yards and 12 TD's, breaking the Bengals single-season rushing record twice in that span. That's not hype...that's just production.

That being said, he lost a lot of tread on the tires during that span. Last year he tried to slim down in order to help compensate for his lack of quickness, but it just resulted in him continuously getting hurt and getting away from his strengths (running downhill).

Unless he has a Jamal Lewis-esque revival, I think he's headed down a similar road to Shaun Alexander. He had a few awesome years, but the shelf life of any running back, especially one that took as many hits and had as many carries as Rudi, is very short now-a-days.

CantStop85
08-29-2008, 06:42 AM
3 years prior?!?!?! that's your measuring stick for production?!?!
Yeah, 4,100+ yards over 3 years, that is what I would qualify as production.

using that kind of logic, it's only fitting you're a bungles fan. not all too long ago you (yes YOU CS85) were comparing Rudi Johnson to Jerome Bettis.
I compared Rudi to Bettis in running style (not production)...almost 2 years ago.

Hell, anybody can say that used to be good
No, actually, I don't think anybody can. And I'm not the one who brought up Rudi Johnson in this thread; you did. Would I say he's "washed up" at this point? Yeah, probably. But for 3 seasons he was one of the better backs in the league and broke the Bengals single-season rushing record twice. That's not speculation or hype; it's simply fact. I honestly don't know what you're trying to argue here.

Tankus_Maximus
08-29-2008, 08:15 AM
I compared Rudi to Bettis in running style (not production)...almost 2 years ago.

Oh my stars & garters, can somebody say FLIP FLOP?!?! Now you're back-pedalling faster than a lawyer, or a DB! Hey, maybe Marvin oughtta have you suit up on Sundays! You'd be an obvious upgrade over anybody in that swiss-cheese secondary!

But you are right on one thing, I DID bring up Rudi, and I DID call you on the carpet for your erroneous comparison. Get used to it son, you've given all of us plenty of ammo for the next couple of seasons.

j-dawg
08-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Get used to it son, you've given all of us plenty of ammo for the next couple of seasons.

:popcorn:

CantStop85
08-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Oh my stars & garters, can somebody say FLIP FLOP?!?! Now you're back-pedalling faster than a lawyer, or a DB! Hey, maybe Marvin oughtta have you suit up on Sundays! You'd be an obvious upgrade over anybody in that swiss-cheese secondary!.

Whatever man...if you want to construe statements I made 2 years ago in order to pound your proud little figurative chest, be my guest. But if you're going to call me out in a thread, at least have something of substance to back it up with.

:wave:

revefsreleets
08-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Anybody drafting Rudi in the the first round in fantasy anymore? Hell, anybody drafting him in the second?

Rudi was a system back that benefited from the pretty wide open passing attack of the Bengals. He's not the type of guy that's going to do a lot left to his own devices. Little better than average back who had better than average power.

lilyoder6
08-29-2008, 10:02 PM
i would say that rudi was a good rb that took advantage of the good passing game.. and honestly fwp only been our starter the past 3 yrs.. so u have to base ur opions on his 3 yrs..

Tankus_Maximus
08-29-2008, 10:36 PM
"Whatever" = popular amongst females when they have no other recourse in an argument/debate.

Thank you very much, we have some lovely parting gifts for you on the way out. :rofl:

Whatever man...if you want to construe statements I made 2 years ago in order to pound your proud little figurative chest, be my guest. But if you're going to call me out in a thread, at least have something of substance to back it up with.

:wave:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-30-2008, 05:28 AM
Anybody drafting Rudi in the the first round in fantasy anymore? Hell, anybody drafting him in the second?

I would draft Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger before I would draft Rudi Johnson.

lilyoder6
08-30-2008, 08:31 AM
i wouldn't of drafted rudi this yr either but when he was going good i would.. i mean he did put up nice stats in the 3 yrs he was good..

MDSteel15
08-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Yeah, but once the O-line started leaving for $$$ and others getting hurt, Rudi was finished....

Tankus_Maximus
08-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Even when Rudi was "good" (and I use that term loosely), I still wouldn't have drafted that fat, worthless, overhyped, bungle.