PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of Obama as "elitist" hailed as huge step forward for African Americans

Mosca
08-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Portrait of Obama as "elitist".... (http://www.theonion.com/content/video/portrayal_of_obama_as_elitist)

there are plenty of good reasons to question the man's qualifications, and everyone should scrutinize him carefully; but the "elitist" tag just doesn't hold.

stlrtruck
08-28-2008, 01:18 PM
That was fantastic...love the onion's sarcasm.

Godfather
08-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Amazing what can happen in politics...a black first-generation American raised by a single mom is an "elitist" while a Yale/Andover preppy from a political dynasty is a "man of the people".

Same goes for the 2000 primaries. A puke who took a cushy stateside assignment served more honorably than a man who got tortured in the Hanoi Hilton.

Mosca
08-28-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm not sold on Obama, but I still hate hatchet job elections. And that includes trash in the other direction, the stuff about McCain and his wife, and his houses, stuff like that. I want to know as best I can which direction the country is going to go in the future.

stlrtruck
08-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm not sold on Obama, but I still hate hatchet job elections. And that includes trash in the other direction, the stuff about McCain and his wife, and his houses, stuff like that. I want to know as best I can which direction the country is going to go in the future.

The day that a politician can actually discuss the issues instead of sling mud, then DC will have a problem on their hands....there will actually be a president who gives a crap about the working class!!!

revefsreleets
08-28-2008, 05:17 PM
The far right has created an aura of negativity about candidates who are intellectual and learned. Kennedy was the last President who was admired for his brain, where there wasn't an image campaign to "dumb him down". Bill Clinton was one of the most highly educated and scholarly Presidents we ever had, but i guarantee you 95% of people would not list that as one of his top attributes.

This Country is in a sad state of decline, and we are wrong to make scapegoats out of intelligent and educated people..."intellectual" should not be a pejorative term.

Mosca
08-28-2008, 05:50 PM
You have to have a lot of both. Just a great school record, and just a lot of experience, both are inadequate for a task as important as this one. The Presidency is a job where we have the right to demand BOTH.

I'm all over the value of education, but I've also had someone right out of college show up as the boss, and it isn't pretty. And I'm Dem, but not stupid. There are plenty of folks with degrees in Urban Management and Policy (or Rural Cultures, or some such idiocy) who have never lived in the city or country, and who want to make policy there. On the world stage, the first one who comes to mind is Pol Pot. That is obviously extreme when discussing America, but still; we need someone with BOTH.

I'm thinking, Obama can get experience, but McCain is topped out on the smarts.

Preacher
08-28-2008, 09:51 PM
The far right has created an aura of negativity about candidates who are intellectual and learned. Kennedy was the last President who was admired for his brain, where there wasn't an image campaign to "dumb him down". Bill Clinton was one of the most highly educated and scholarly Presidents we ever had, but i guarantee you 95% of people would not list that as one of his top attributes.

This Country is in a sad state of decline, and we are wrong to make scapegoats out of intelligent and educated people..."intellectual" should not be a pejorative term.

Quotes or links please....

Or is this just another... right wing conservative (read fundy christians) suck and are unintelligent....

Dino 6 Rings
08-28-2008, 10:42 PM
I'd rather look at the facts of what each candidate has actually achieved in their life, what types of legislation they have truly been a part of writing, and getting passed, in a bi-partisan way. Which Candidate truly crosses the aisle, even to the hatred of his own party and has actually banged his head against the current President's door and called him out on failed policies.

Which candidate has worked on Finance Reform, forcing the sitting President to sign it?

Which candidate led the battle to restrict interrogation techniques and to ban torture?

Which candidate actually oposed the "Bush" Cash cuts when they passed?

Which candidate had pushed and pushed for the surge before the "surge" was even a talking point in the media?

Which Candidate sponsored legislation to regulate tobacco and took on the cigarette companies.

Which candidate attacks wasteful spending and earmarks constantly during his time in the Senate.

and then..figure out which candidate voted against a bill called the Infants Born Alive Act that would protect the lives of children who survive botched abortions?

Look those up...then decide.

Dino 6 Rings
08-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Or you could pretend you own a Football Team in the NFL. Now, your team is a mess. You have problems in the locker room. You have no solid QB, you have no Solid RB, you have an old worn out defense and no depth at any position. what do you do?

You have 2 choices.

Hire this young guy out of the Texas Highschool Football League, AAAA Division. His offense is scoring 60 points a game, he's won 3 state championships and he has devolped some tricky offense that hides the ball and uses shotgun option out of a 4 wide set and is just awesome to watch.

Or

You can hire this old coach, who just wants to be GM, wants to rebuild your team from the ground up, will give you 4 years to take the mess you have, and turn it around and start it on the right direction. He has a couple SB rings, a couple trophies on his mantle, has been there and is proven, and all you have to do is get out of his way and let him fix things.

Who do you hire?

Now if your team was already good, and everything was going smoothly, say you had a SB MVP on your team, a SB winning QB on your team, a Top 3 defense year in year out, you may go with the young guy, take a risk, you have pieces in place that can get the job done. But if your team is a train wreck...who do you hire.

Ask the Miami Dolphins. They got it right.

Atlanta Dan
08-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Quotes or links please....

Or is this just another... right wing conservative (read fundy christians) suck and are unintelligent....

This from 20 years ago, when the GOP pivoted from the uplift of Reagan to the baser instincts of Lee Atwater, the ur Rove - that is when this crap really took off, at least in my lifetime

All I needed to do was Google Democrat and Harvard - took about 30 seconds to find this

Bush Paints Rival as Elitist, With 'Harvard Yard' Views

''When I wanted to learn the ways of the world, I didn't go to the Kennedy School, I came to Texas, in 1948,'' he said. ''I didn't go to a symposium on job creation, I started a business. I didn't study a monograph on the effects of economic growth; I met a payroll. We created 215 jobs for 215 families.''

Talking about Mr. Dukakis's suggested cuts in military spending and his suggestions that the United Nations could be more involved in foreign disputes, he charged that his rival's ''foreign policy views, born in Harvard Yard's boutique, would cut the muscle of our defense.''

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE0DB103CF933A25755C0A96E9482 60

No mention in the speech of George Bush having graduated from Yale and being tapped for Skull and Bones before he went to Texas and "learned the ways of the world," which might have muddled the anti-elitist message

I voted for Bush the Elder in1988 anyhow, but this sort of nonsense and the infamous Willie Horton ads were not why

tony hipchest
08-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Or you could pretend you own a Football Team in the NFL. Now, your team is a mess. flopped after a sb victory? You have problems in the locker room. team leader threatening to hold out? You have no solid QB, how bout a qb who is too dumb to wear a helmet and leads the league in interceptions? you have no Solid RB fumbling rb who is too small and cant carry the load? , you have an old worn out defense and no depth at any position. what do you do?

You have 2 choices.

Hire this young guy out of the Texas Highschool Football League, AAAA Division. His offense is scoring 60 points a game, he's won 3 state championships and he has devolped some tricky offense that hides the ball and uses shotgun option out of a 4 wide set and is just awesome to watch. how bout a young, no-name secondary coach who has only 1 year experience as a d-coord for a team that didnt even make the playoffs?

Or

You can hire this old coach, who just wants to be GM, wants to rebuild your team from the ground up, will give you 4 years to take the mess you have, and turn it around and start it on the right direction. He has a couple SB rings, a couple trophies on his mantle, has been there and is proven, and all you have to do is get out of his way and let him fix things. bill cowher has 1 ring and 5 affc champ game appearances. does that count?

Who do you hire?

bad analogy dino. sounds too much like tomlin vs. cowher. and we all know how that turned out....

the rooneys voted for "change".

revefsreleets
08-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks Dan...it isn't just the far right that is culpable, though. The media and our culture in general is also to blame. There is a general "dumbing down" going on...science and scientists are questioned and mocked and made scapegoats where they once were admired. We have become and "anti-egghead" culture, and it's killing us as we can't compete in match and science skills anymore.

To tie this back into the religion thing, when you have a dumbed down culture who don't understand math and science, it's easy to see why people believe that dinosaurs and humans walked the earth together.

Mosca
08-29-2008, 09:10 AM
It's fairly well documented that the current round of political hate was "invented" in the late 1980s by Lee Atwater, and expanded upon by his protege Karl Rove.

But it is also extremely well documented that dirty politics in America go back to Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe; Monroe tried to skewer Jefferson's candidacy by spreading the rumor that he had set up household with Sally Hemmings (true, it turned out).

The modern twist on all of it is the speed with which electronic media gets the stuff out there, and the talent that goes into the smears. And of course, none of it would happen if it wasn't so effective at swaying us, the electorate.

Dino 6 Rings
08-29-2008, 11:41 AM
bad analogy dino. sounds too much like tomlin vs. cowher. and we all know how that turned out....

the rooneys voted for "change".

Steelers already had a good team (Country going in the right direction) but if the Team (country) is a mess, then who would you rather bring in?

Mosca
08-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Steelers already had a good team (Country going in the right direction) but if the Team (country) is a mess, then who would you rather bring in?

I dunno, good question... do you bring in the current coach's protege, or do you switch regimes entirely?

No easy answer. There is merit to both answers... it depends on the guy.