PDA

View Full Version : McCain selects governor Palin as running mate.

Pages : 1 [2]

tony hipchest
09-02-2008, 08:54 PM
November 4 can't get here soon enough for me.i wouldnt worry about all that too much here X. the people i choose to engage in such debates here (revs, preacher, LLT, HTG, atl dan, hammer 76 etc, i respect way too much to even let that influence my personal opinion of them. i feel each and everyone is a great person regardless of a simple vote. each person is different and one persons politics may work for them and their beliefs better than it does mine.

its not about right or wrong for me. it is about learning, the thrill of debate, and some good natured ribbing to pass the time. hopefully everyone i engage in these discussions with feels the same. i can easilly tune out the likes of jeremy and cubanstogie. their posts dont really bother me, but that wont stop me from offering a response.

im not scared of politics or the heated talks that come with them. i hope this board isnt either. i guess thats mikes call, and i will live with it either way.

Preacher
09-02-2008, 08:55 PM
i wouldnt worry about all that too much here X. the people i choose to engage in such debates here (revs, preacher, LLT, HTG, atl dan, hammer 76 etc, i respect way too much to even let that influence my personal opinion of them. i feel each and everyone is a great person regardless of a simple vote. each person is different and one persons politics may work for them and their beliefs better than it does mine.

its not about right or wrong for me. it is about learning, the thrill of debate, and some good natured ribbing to pass the time. hopefully everyone i engage in these discussions with feels the same. i can easilly tune out the likes of jeremy and cubanstogie. their posts dont really bother me, but that wont stop me from offering a response.

im not scared of politics or the heated talks that come with them. i hope this board isnt either. i guess thats mikes call, and i will live with it either way.

How dare you like me.... you evil dem!!!

:chuckle:

X-Terminator
09-02-2008, 08:59 PM
i wouldnt worry about all that too much here X. the people i choose to engage in such debates here (revs, preacher, LLT, HTG, atl dan, hammer 76 etc, i respect way too much to even let that influence my personal opinion of them. i feel each and everyone is a great person regardless of a simple vote. each person is different and one persons politics may work for them and their beliefs better than it does mine.

Well I was going to say this in the post you quoted but I edited it out...a Steelers board I am an administrator on crashed and burned during the 2004 election cycle because every time a political discussion occurred, it completely deteriorated. Another non-football related board I frequent shut down its politics forum for more than 6 months for the same reasons, only they were much less civilized - endless trolling, headhunting, flaming, etc. They just re-opened it with MUCH stricter rules (basically one strike, and you're out). There are so many people on this board that I respect tremendously - you included - that I'd really hate to see it happen here, but from what I've been reading, I fear its headed down that path. That's why I really don't like politics and rarely participate in discussions - I don't want hard feelings to develop.

tony hipchest
09-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Here's where you miss the boat. McCain properly and thoroughly vetted Palin. What he never anticipated was that the press dug up that same nothing he found and MADE it something. You even bought into it...

sounds like mccain missed the boat then, doesnt it? :noidea:

so please tell me more of what i "bought in to"? her daughter is pregnant and her husband did have a dwi and you chose to IGNORE the fact that i dismissed them as soon as you brought it up because it doesnt serve your purpose.

ive ALREADY said i dont buy in. funny how much of the simple things have passed you and LLT by when you are so furiously in debate with one of my posts. maybe try to absorb some of what i have to say before you get so happy with the trigger finger.

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 09:02 PM
That's what I like about this place...we get heated, but we always "check up" and remember common ground and whatnot...

I'm two days away from a big disclosure, as well...I'm sure it will be fine. I'm waiting for my birthday...

Preacher
09-02-2008, 09:07 PM
That's what I like about this place...we get heated, but we always "check up" and remember common ground and whatnot...

I'm two days away from a big disclosure, as well...I'm sure it will be fine. I'm waiting for my birthday...

Really? Like what?

Dang...

I can't wait!! :wave:

HometownGal
09-02-2008, 09:11 PM

He likes me. . . . .he really, REALLY likes me!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/b/e/1/be1f4b94d4f44327a8470cc61e293598.jpg

Preacher
09-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Hey... XT...

I wouldn't worry if I were you...

AD, Tony, Mosca, Revef, both mods (especially them) and a whole host of others all know how to get along...We are like a family...

We can yell and scream at each other....

but just watch what happens when an outsider comes in!!! :rofl:

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 09:18 PM
but just watch what happens when an outsider comes in!!! :rofl:

Ya think....?

Nah! It'll be okay, right?

Atlanta Dan
09-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Difference is this IS some blogger somewhere...the subtle and implied smear on Palin was coming from no less than the New York Times.

This post is not intended to be pedantic.:chuckle:

If you are referring to the smear about the biological mother of Palin's youngest child being the daughter and not Governor Palin, that started on a lefty blog and then surfaced on the top left column of Drudge late Sunday. What passes for journalistic ethics these days is that when it makes it to Drudge the MSM have a get out of jail free card to "report the controversy." Just as this is not the first time the biological relationship between a child and a candidate for national office has been the subject of a slur, this is not the first time slurs against Dems and GOP candidates have gone viral by being posted on Drudge.

If, in fact, the daughter's pregnancy was disclosed in response to what was surfacing on Drudge, then how much peek-a-boo the Times or other mainline papers need to do with regard to explaining the "rumors" that prompted the disclosures would not seem to be a easy call. If the rumors are out there for anyone with access to a modem, then what motivated the disclosure is presumably not intended to knock down Palin's popularity (I assume nobody thinks less of Palin because she has been falsely accused of not being the mother of her child by a nutcake blogger). If the NYT and other media outlets that reported the specific rumor (Reuters/Times of London/Wall Street Journal) only report "vicious rumors" with no specificity in the story, are they then opened up to a claim it is not "clearing the air" with regard to what has been falsely raised and allowing uncertainty to fester?

I am not defending the Times here but what to report is not governed by the same considerations that existed 15 years ago prior to the advent of widespread Internet access.

Texasteel
09-02-2008, 09:25 PM
sounds like mccain missed the boat then, doesnt it? :noidea:

so please tell me more of what i "bought in to"? her daughter is pregnant and her husband did have a dwi and you chose to IGNORE the fact that i dismissed them as soon as you brought it up because it doesnt serve your purpose.

ive ALREADY said i dont buy in. funny how much of the simple things have passed you and LLT by when you are so furiously in debate with one of my posts. maybe try to absorb some of what i have to say before you get so happy with the trigger finger.

And Obamas circle of Friends contain a convicted felon, terrorist that have bomb the Pentagon, and hate mongers that spew racist statements from the pulpit. You want to get back to the issues.

tony hipchest
09-02-2008, 09:31 PM

I'm two days away from a big disclosure, as well...I'm sure it will be fine. I'm waiting for my birthday...:drink:

and HTG, you know i LUVS U! :wink02:...:naughty: lol

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 09:34 PM
This post is not intended to be pedantic.:chuckle:

If you are referring to the smear about the biological mother of Palin's youngest child being the daughter and not Governor Palin, that started on a lefty blog and then surfaced on the top left column of Drudge late Sunday. What passes for journalistic ethics these days is that when it makes it to Drudge the MSM have a get out of jail free card to "report the controversy." Just as this is not the first time the biological relationship between a child and a candidate for national office has been the subject of a slur, this is not the first time slurs against Dems and GOP candidates have gone viral by being posted on Drudge.

If, in fact, the daughter's pregnancy was disclosed in response to what was surfacing on Drudge, then how much peek-a-boo the Times or other mainline papers need to do with regard to explaining the "rumors" that prompted the disclosures would not seem to be a easy call. If the rumors are out there for anyone with access to a modem, then what motivated the disclosure is presumably not intended to knock down Palin's popularity (I assume nobody thinks less of Palin because she has been falsely accused of not being the mother of her child by a nutcake blogger). If the NYT and other media outlets that reported the specific rumor (Reuters/Times of London/Wall Street Journal) only report "vicious rumors" with no specificity in the story, are they then opened up to a claim it is not "clearing the air" with regard to what has been falsely raised and allowing uncertainty to fester?

I am not defending the Times here but what to report is not governed by the same considerations that existed 15 years ago prior to the advent of widespread Internet access.

You must not have read the original story...

Regardless, it is what it is. Her having a pregnant underage kid once again probably plays very well with young lower-middle class mothers in Peoria. McCain expands his base.

tony hipchest
09-02-2008, 09:35 PM
And Obamas circle of Friends contain a convicted felon, terrorist that have bomb the Pentagon, and hate mongers that spew racist statements from the pulpit. You want to get back to the issues.exactly! so why is the right so defensive about a little dirt being dug up on their vp honey arm trophy candidate?

way too defensive if you ask me.

tony hipchest
09-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Regardless, it is what it is. Her having a pregnant underage kid once again probably plays very well with young lower-middle class mothers in Peoria. McCain expands his base.i bet thats exactly what mccain was thinking.

infact, his choice reeks of so much desperation, im sure he based his selection on this alone, just to garner that vote. :sofunny:

i hope you really dont believe that, but great spin either way! :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 09:54 PM
i bet thats exactly what mccain was thinking.

infact, his choice reeks of so much desperation, im sure he based his selection on this alone, just to garner that vote. :sofunny:

Not desperate, just smart...

I'm out of the closet now...hope you defend me...

Atlanta Dan
09-02-2008, 10:17 PM
You must not have read the original story...

Regardless, it is what it is. Her having a pregnant underage kid once again probably plays very well with young lower-middle class mothers in Peoria. McCain expands his base.

I thought you were referring to this one:

Palin Daughter’s Pregnancy Interrupts G.O.P. Convention Script

The Palins’ statement arrived after a flurry of rumors had made their way through the Internet over the weekend, growing and blooming, it seemed, by the minute.

Some claimed that Ms. Palin had not actually given birth to Trig, but that Bristol had, and that the family had covered it up. Various Web sites posted photographs of Ms. Palin in the months leading up to his birth this year, and debated whether her physique might have been too trim for her stage of pregnancy. The McCain campaign said Ms. Palin announced Bristol’s pregnancy to stop the swirl of rumors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us/politics/02palin.html?ref=politics

If you are referring to this story, the central point of the story that nobody knows how this will play out is true. Palin only has been in the national spotlight since last Friday and her public image is still forming.

In Political Realm, ‘Family Problem’ Emerges as Test

In many ways, how the country will react to the pregnancy of Ms. Palin’s 17-year-old daughter, Bristol, is more a sociological question than a political one. Yes, many officials in both parties — including Senator Barack Obama of Illinois, Mr. McCain’s Democratic opponent — were quick on Monday to say that the private lives of candidates should be strictly off limits.

But this clearly stands as a challenge to the traditional image of a potential first family, and could well provide fodder for provocative conversations around kitchen tables or sly references in the late-night television comic-sphere. It will test again what voters deem private, at a time when the Web has pulled down so many curtains, and what in these times is considered a normal family life.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us/politics/02assess.html?ref=politics

Was there another Times story?

If the media pounds her family there will be a backlash in her favor.

OTOH if we get more videos such as this speech by Gov Palin on whether we get more drilling is in God's hands, Gov Palin may start to cause problems with voters outside of the base.

“I can do my part in working really, really hard to get a natural gas pipeline, about a $30 billion project that's going to create a lot of jobs for Alaska. … [but] I think God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that,” she said. “I can do my job there in developing our natural resources, in doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded. But really that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's hearts aren't right with God.”

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/02/1327574.aspx

HometownGal
09-02-2008, 10:22 PM
exactly! so why is the right so defensive about a little dirt being dug up on their vp honey arm trophy candidate?

way too defensive if you ask me.

Forgive me, dear hipcheese, but if it were just a "little dirt", I wouldn't have a problem with it. Dat's politics. This latest round of attacks is just plain dirty and vicious, no matter how the left tries to spin it otherwise.

tony hipchest
09-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Forgive me, dear hipcheese, but if it were just a "little dirt", I wouldn't have a problem with it. Dat's politics. This latest round of attacks is just plain dirty and vicious, no matter how the left tries to spin it otherwise.
youre giving random people such as myself who post diatribe on the internet WAY too much credit.

the latest round of "attacks" (if youre talkin about suggestions that palin faked a pregnancy to cover for her daughter) are about as credible as cubanstogie's implied assertion that all libs are "feed us a foetus" abotion artists. :noidea:

dont buy in. im not.

MACH1
09-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Just seen that Lynn Swan is campaigning for McCain.

Waiting for the spin. :wink02:

tony hipchest
09-02-2008, 11:33 PM

meh. dan rooney backs obama. anybody who backs mccain isnt a true steelerfan. :wink02:

hows that? :laughing:

MACH1
09-02-2008, 11:35 PM
meh. dan rooney backs obama. anybody who backs mccain isnt a true steelerfan. :wink02:

:toofunny:

I was just thinking any true Steeler fan would follow a HOFer or two. :flap:

rbryan
09-02-2008, 11:54 PM
FWIW a "True Steeler fan" gave up on this travesty a long time ago. Vote for me. Whats your downside???

OneForTheToe
09-03-2008, 12:09 AM
When I vote on November 4th, it will be a write-in for Dermonti Dawson to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. :tt:

Preacher
09-03-2008, 12:18 AM
When I vote on November 4th, it will be a write-in for Dermonti Dawson to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. :tt:

I say--write in Daffy duck!!!

tony hipchest
09-03-2008, 12:30 AM
I say--write in Daffy duck!!!over lc greenwood? shame on you. dirt dawson still gots time to make it into the hall.

as for palin, shes got plenty of time to make it into the hall, but only for a spankin'. :naughty:

Preacher
09-03-2008, 12:32 AM
over lc greenwood? shame on you. dirt dawson still gots time to make it into the hall.

as for palin, shes got plenty of time to make it into the hall, but only for a spankin'. :naughty:

Why is it... that before I even clicked on this thread...

I knew :buttkick: would be an appropriate response :hunch:

:chuckle:

OneForTheToe
09-03-2008, 01:00 AM
over lc greenwood? shame on you. dirt dawson still gots time to make it into the hall.

Sorry to bring football into a political thread. :wink02: but Donnie Shell might be more deserving than both. Hell, he should get in just for the way he spanked Earl Campbell. :naughty:

Texasteel
09-03-2008, 06:58 AM

Damn Tony, that one hurt!

Atlanta Dan
09-03-2008, 07:04 AM

#88 probably still needs to have someone help pay off campaign debts from his less than triumphant run for Governor in 2006 :chuckle:

HometownGal
09-03-2008, 10:03 PM
#88 probably still needs to have someone help pay off campaign debts from his less than triumphant run for Governor in 2006 :chuckle:

I worked with Swann's campaign and it is possible he might take another run at the Governor's office. Anyone would be an improvement over Eddie the Hut. Other than helping to keep the Pens in the Burgh, which I will always be grateful to him for, he's done nothing in his 5-1/2 years in office but stuff his face with gourmet foods at the expense of us taxpayers and get speeding tickets on the PA Pike.

I'm listening to soon-to-be Vice President Palin's speech at the RNC and I'm totally enjoying her speech. :thumbsup: In addition to being absolutely beautiful, she's very articulate and has a backbone, unlike . . . . you know who. :wink02:

SteelCityMan786
09-03-2008, 10:13 PM
I worked with Swann's campaign and it is possible he might take another run at the Governor's office. Anyone would be an improvement over Eddie the Hut. Other than helping to keep the Pens in the Burgh, which I will always be grateful to him for, he's done nothing in his 5-1/2 years in office but stuff his face with gourmet foods at the expense of us taxpayers and get speeding tickets on the PA Pike.

I'm listening to soon-to-be Vice President Palin's speech at the RNC and I'm totally enjoying her speech. :thumbsup: In addition to being absolutely beautiful, she's very articulate and has a backbone, unlike . . . . you know who. :wink02:

You reffering to the Obama/Biden Ticket? :chuckle:

If Swann runs for Governor of PA, he can expect in one of the first major elections I can vote in, he will have it from me. Sure he hasn't seen the light in the political world that some have, but hey, I'd rather have him over some of the folks rumored on the Democrats ticket.

Dynasty
09-03-2008, 10:32 PM

I completely agree with you; Palin made her points, injected humor into it, and came off as a very strong person with our country's best interests in mind. She really helped to silence the doubters with that performance. McCain is looking a lot better right now for having picked her.

Biden must be shitting bricks right now.

stillers4me
09-03-2008, 10:38 PM

So is Hillary. :sofunny:

Steelman16
09-03-2008, 10:40 PM
A round of Depends for all the Dems!

:drink:

:toofunny:

tony hipchest
09-04-2008, 12:20 AM
So is Hillary. :sofunny:LITP much?

pssst. Hillarious is yesterdays news.

Preacher
09-04-2008, 02:15 AM
LITP much?

Tony..

that has to be about the 4th or 5th reference to Nigel over the last couple days...

are you going through withdrawals??

stillers4me
09-04-2008, 05:23 AM
LITP much?

pssst. Hillarious is yesterdays news.

You can bet Hillary is counting on a McCain win in '08 and has her sights set on '12.
You can try to spin spin spin, Tony, but Hillary just met her worst nightmare last night. :applaudit:

GBMelBlount
09-04-2008, 06:09 AM
I completely agree with you; Palin made her points, injected humor into it, and came off as a very strong person with our country's best interests in mind. She really helped to silence the doubters with that performance. McCain is looking a lot better right now for having picked her.

I also thought she did well. I especially enjoyed how she contrasted her experience and accomplishments as compared to Obama and Biden.....

revefsreleets
09-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Can't wait to see the polls tomorrow. There's no doubt about it, Palin kicked ass and took names...

Reminds me...what's the difference between a pit bull and a hockey mom?

Lipstick.

Rum pum pum

GBMelBlount
09-04-2008, 08:51 AM
The other thing that I thought was interesting is that Obama got a bounce out of her nomination even though her experience and track record are better than Obama's imo. I wonder if that is because the media only focused on the dirt they could find, perhaps attempting to discredit her. If the issues, and credentials, become the focus this election, I think Mccain and Palin will do just fine.....not sure that will be the focus though, unfortunately.

tony hipchest
09-04-2008, 09:10 AM
You can try to spin spin spin, Tony, but Hillary just met her worst nightmare last night. :applaudit:
that word "spin" seems to be a popular buzzword amongs the Ribs here lately. is this post you giving me permission to have an opinion? thanks :thumbsup:

but no matter how YOU spin it, we all know Hillary was YOUR worst nightmare. :laughing: (thats funny)

Michael Keller
09-04-2008, 09:10 AM
I personally believe that the [B]media's
B] obvious outright dislike and criticism of Palin is going to backfire against the Media and ultimely Oboma.

The media people in their arrogance do not realize how out of touch they are with main stream America. I would guess their approval rating is lower then the approval rating of congress, which is lower then the approval rating of Bush. All three deserve the disaaproval ratings. So far Palin is doing fine. One week ago I did not think Mcaine could win this election now I can see how he might.

The media as it is now performing is going to help Mcaine / Palin in almost the same way if Osam Bin Laden made a public announcement of support for Oboma.

No matter what happens MCaine has my admiration and he certainly has separated himself from Bush/ Chaney.

revefsreleets
09-04-2008, 09:28 AM
The interesting thing about all this is how the focus has been Palin's experince vs Obama's. That's not good for the Dems, because Obama is running for President, not veep...this makes McCain seem much more Presidential.

tony hipchest
09-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Reminds me...what's the difference between a pit bull and a hockey mom?

Lipstick.

Rum pum pumi think mccain "screwed the pooch" on this one.

Preacher
09-04-2008, 08:19 PM
i think mccain "screwed the pooch" on this one.

Not surprising...

most GOP'ers think Obama screwed the pooch with the pick of BIden.

It is a typical tactic of the opposing party, and both parties use it.

tony hipchest
09-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Not surprising...

most GOP'ers think Obama screwed the pooch with the pick of BIden.

It is a typical tactic of the opposing party, and both parties use it."its a dog eat dog world"

Preacher
09-04-2008, 08:45 PM
"its a dog eat dog world"

And each party keeps digging it deeper and deeper... pushing it further and further.