PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden: Piece of Mind

revefsreleets
08-29-2008, 07:20 PM
All this political bullshit is making my head spin, plus I'm in the middle of a move. I was packing up some CD's and ran across this disc and tossed it in. Dayum, IM kicked so much ass! This is a rock solid disc, not a single weak link. Reminded me why I was so blown away by them back in the day...25 years later and IMO this stuff still holds up.

tony hipchest
08-29-2008, 07:44 PM
hell yeah. and all the metallica talk has gotten me fired up, hoping they have an instrumental like "orion" on their new album.

if i go and dig out my slayer "reign in blood" and "south of heaven"cassette tapes :chuckle: it is all over....

im jonsing though. i was a bit of a jonny come lately with maiden (late 80's) as my punk roots had me tapping the 2 aformentionned 1st. but any time i sing "run for the hills" or "666" in my head i get chills and am reminded how the began and maxed an era in speed metal that couldnt really be topped. only mimicked and copied.

preach is gonna be pumped by this thread! (possibly the only preacher to ever jam maiden in church) :laughing:

:cheers:

revefsreleets
08-29-2008, 07:50 PM
The syncopation on Orion still boggles my mind. I'm on "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" right now (yeah, had to pop in "Powerslave") and talk about tempo changes! 13:40 minute song...are you kidding me!

I'm sorry, but many of those 80's metal bands were not only masters of their instruments, they were also very innovative songwriters.

GutterflowerSteel
08-29-2008, 08:01 PM
The syncopation on Orion still boggles my mind. I'm on "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" right now (yeah, had to pop in "Powerslave") and talk about tempo changes! 13:40 minute song...are you kidding me!

I'm sorry, but many of those 80's metal bands were not only masters of their instruments, they were also very innovative songwriters.

Two Minutes To Midnight ~ favorite song off of Powerslave. http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3884/headbangerdb7.gif

revefsreleets
08-29-2008, 08:03 PM
My 80's metal band played Powerslave...NOT an easy song to sing, I might add! The Trooper was harder.

tony hipchest
08-29-2008, 08:17 PM
did you ever listen to "Coroner" (from Noise records who also produced Kreator, Celtic Frost, Sodom, Rage) all classically trained as youths, but switched to thrash.

from wiki-

Coroner was a Swiss technical thrash metal band from Zurich. They garnered relatively little attention outside of Europe. They combined elements of thrash, progressive rock, jazz, and industrial metal with suitably gruff vocals that have put them at times in a death metal camp[citation needed]. They did not completely fall into any of those categories but integrated influences from them while some defined their style. With their increasingly complex style of progressive rock-infused thrash, they are often labeled as "the Rush of thrash metal" by music critics.[1]

if you havent heard them, i am certain you'll appreciate it. there are 2 instrumentals on their 1st album "RIP" that are almost magical and rival "orion". i still dont know how they pull off the guitars. all i can say is their fingers perform speed ballet on the strings.

revefsreleets
08-29-2008, 08:25 PM
I'll check it out...I don't do the guttural growl vocal thing at all, though. I want someone who can carry a tune.

revefsreleets
08-29-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm on Accept: Metal Heart now. Underrated band.

Sadly, I'm falling way behind in my moving...but it IS cool digging this old metal out!

tony hipchest
08-29-2008, 09:32 PM
I'll check it out...I don't do the guttural growl vocal thing at all, though. I want someone who can carry a tune.ah. flotsam and jetsam, queensryche, king diamond, helloween, rage, etc. (the latter 2, also of Noise Records- you will like them if you like the first 3.)

european speed metal and thrash seemed a bit ahead of the curve at the time. i was introduced by randomly picking up Noise Records' "Doomsday News" (vol. I) compilation album off the shelves in '89.

i can almost guarantee, that if youre into the genre, the music stands just as strong today as it did back then.

meanwhile ive jammed the thrash metal station on sirius a bit, and the growlers are still jumping the shark to this day.

NJarhead
08-29-2008, 09:34 PM
All this political bullshit is making my head spin, plus I'm in the middle of a move. I was packing up some CD's and ran across this disc and tossed it in. Dayum, IM kicked so much ass! This is a rock solid disc, not a single weak link. Reminded me why I was so blown away by them back in the day...25 years later and IMO this stuff still holds up.

I've always said that Dave Murray and Adrian Smith were the best guitar tandem (different, but even more so than James and Kirk...., and that's not easy to say).

NJarhead
08-29-2008, 09:38 PM
hell yeah. and all the metallica talk has gotten me fired up, hoping they have an instrumental like "orion" on their new album.

if i go and dig out my slayer "reign in blood" and "south of heaven"cassette tapes :chuckle: it is all over....

im jonsing though. i was a bit of a jonny come lately with maiden (late 80's) as my punk roots had me tapping the 2 aformentionned 1st. but any time i sing "run for the hills" or "666" in my head i get chills and am reminded how the began and maxed an era in speed metal that couldnt really be topped. only mimicked and copied.

preach is gonna be pumped by this thread! (possibly the only preacher to ever jam maiden in church) :laughing:

I hear ya Tony, but don't get yer hopes up. Even if there was another "Orion" it wouldn't bring us back to our youth...., and I don't see an "Orion" on the horizon.

NJarhead
08-29-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm on Accept: Metal Heart now. Underrated band.Sadly, I'm falling way behind in my moving...but it IS cool digging this old metal out!Dude, not 2 weeks ago I added "Metal Heart" and "Midnight Mover" to my IPOD. Metal Heart was perfect for its time.

NJarhead
08-29-2008, 09:44 PM

did you ever listen to "Coroner" (from Noise records who also produced Kreator, Celtic Frost, Sodom, Rage) all classically trained as youths, but switched to thrash.

from wiki-

if you havent heard them, i am certain you'll appreciate it. there are 2 instrumentals on their 1st album "RIP" that are almost magical and rival "orion". i still dont know how they pull off the guitars. all i can say is their fingers perform speed ballet on the strings.

SLAYER, FLOTSAM, QUEEENSRYCHE????? How'd I miss this conversation????????

Oh yeah, watching the Steelers replay game. OK, we all need to tailgate together. When's the next game you'll make Tony? Rev?

millwalldavey
08-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Peice of Mind... great record. I was always a sucker for Number of the Beast meself

I Don't think I've heard Coroner for years! I used to love the growling vox but now not so much. I'll still rock some Bolt Thrower however!

Preacher
08-31-2008, 11:26 AM
As ironic as it is...

I personally love Number of the Beast.

Run to the hills, Number of the Beast, Hallowed be thy name, Children of the Damned, that album was GREAT.

Of course, for a real dark sound, Danzig was always a good choice.... MOTHER... :laughing:

millwalldavey
08-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Of course, for a real dark sound, Danzig was always a good choice.... MOTHER... :laughing:

TWIST OF CAIN! I never liked any of his other stuf... but with the Misfits and Samhain hes was gold.

43Hitman
08-31-2008, 11:59 AM

Don't forget about the instrumental "The Thing that should not be". Also Trooper was one of my favs . Oh man I could go on and on about all the influence that Anthrax, Megadeth,Slayer, Metallica, Iron Maiden had on my music. They are all the fore fathers of modern metal today.

:tt03:

43Hitman
08-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Oh yeah.. TOXIC WALTZ by Exodus.. Kirk Hamett kicks ass.

millwalldavey
08-31-2008, 05:37 PM
EVERYBODYS DOIN THE TOXIC WALTZ... SLAM YOUR PARTNER AGAINST THE WALL!

Kirk HAmmett was out of Exodus before then... actually before they released any albums.

I've been listening to Venom, Posessed and Bathory lately... on a mild Satan-Metal bent...

43Hitman
08-31-2008, 05:39 PM
EVERYBODYS DOIN THE TOXIC WALTZ... SLAM YOUR PARTNER AGAINST THE WALL!

Kirk HAmmett was out of Exodus before then... actually before they released any albums.

I've been listening to Venom, Posessed and Bathory lately... on a mild Satan-Metal bent...

Oops. :doh:Thanks for the correction.

millwalldavey
08-31-2008, 06:28 PM
But, not many even know thats where he started! Points for you!

They actually began performing "The Impaler" a song he wrote after MEtallica blew up.

revefsreleets
08-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Forgot about "The Thing That Should Not Be".

I've always been torn as to which was the better disc: MOP or Justice. They were both probably the pinnacle of metal for me...

tony hipchest
08-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Forgot about "The Thing That Should Not Be".

I've always been torn as to which was the better disc: MOP or Justice. They were both probably the pinnacle of metal for me...definitely MOP for me. just a tad bit edgier, and groundbreaking enough to show it was great music, and could gain a non niche audience.

unfortunately alot of die hards were turned off simply because "and justice had their first musical video (which was a fantatic video), much like all the dead heads were turned off by "touch of grey".

i was just listening to my preview on XM radio (which i have yet to activate) and they will be having a all metallica 24-7 station on ch. 51. :tt03:

revefsreleets
08-31-2008, 09:22 PM
But Justice was a little more technical IMO...

Both are discs on my "If you were on a deserted island and had to pick 20 albums" list...

tony hipchest
08-31-2008, 09:45 PM
But Justice was a little more technical IMO...

definitely. crisper and better produced.

form what i always heard, hammett was paying $300 an hr. for lessons from satriani between albums too. i first saw them in concert for "and justice..." and all the old songs they played live just sounded better.

definitely their peak album.

the same is seen with slayer. SOH was their best (it is a seamless album where 1 song just seems to perfecly be blended in with the next) but many die- hards still prefer reign in blood.

SOH gets my top billing in this particular case. MOP and Justice are really 1a and 1b although its hard to discount "ride the lightning" or even single songs such as "breadfan" or "mommy/greenhell" that didnt appear on any of those 3.

for me its like discussing the best beatles album, or "the wall", vs. "dark side of the moon". you cant go wrong either way (and to me, that is a true sign of greatness and staying power).

Preacher
08-31-2008, 09:48 PM
definitely. crisper and better produced.

form what i always heard, hammett was paying $300 an hr. for lessons from satriani between albums too. i first saw them in concert for "and justice..." and all the old songs they played live just sounded better.

definitely their peak album.

the same is seen with slayer. SOH was their best (it is a seamless album where 1 song just seems to perfecly be blended in with the next) but many die- hards still prefer reign in blood.

SOH gets my top billing in this particular case. MOP and Justice are really 1a and 1b although its hard to discount "ride the lightning" or even single songs such as "breadfan" or "mommy/greenhell" that didnt appear on any of those 3.

for me its like discussing the best beatles album, or "the wall", vs. "dark side of the moon". you cant go wrong either way (and to me, that is a true sign of greatness and staying power).

Come on,

everyone knows the greatest metal album was "Smell the Glove."

revefsreleets
09-01-2008, 08:52 AM
"There's, like, none blacker...."

I'm old school...Reign In Blood for me. I liked Ride the Lightning, but it seemed like just a stage in their evolution, with the peak being MOP/Justice. They had their moments before and after...

Anxious to hear the new stuff. I didn't really hate St. Anger, and I was happy to hear them thrashing it out again, but I'm hoping for more with the new album.

One of my all-time under-rated metal bands? Armored Saint. John Bush (lead singer) took over for Joey Belladonna singing in Anthrax for awhile there...

millwalldavey
09-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Lets see:

Metallica: (not a big fan of theirs but...)
Master of Puppets for me... slightly edging Kill em All. I always felt RTL was overrated.

Completely insulted by them recording Discharge covers. Wanna hear something crazy, find the originals!

Slayer: No doubt. Starts and ends @ Reign In Blood.

I love all the stuff before these bands got popular. I remember being in HS and everyone telling me that these bands sucked. Then all of a sudden everyone (especially Craptallica) is their biggest fan. No wonder I got into hardcore/punk around 15.

GutterflowerSteel
09-01-2008, 10:39 AM
I'll post this tidbit here instead of starting a new thread - since this is where all of the Metalheads seem to be hanging out today

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/9201/headbangingsmileysd2.gif

FYI: Judas Priest to perform on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Tuesday, September 2nd, 2008!

That is all :helmet:

Hammer Of The GODS
09-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Ahhhh..... this is a great thread.

Metal SAVED the 80s for sure. That decade would have completely sucked without the heavy tunes that would eventually define our youth.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out the ultimate influence to most of the rock bands out there...........

BLACK SABBATH :jammin:

The year was 1983 I was 12 and Michael Jackson was steam rolling radio airplay. Just when I thought I was coming of age in the wrong decade my uncle set me straight. I remember like it was yesterday. He said listen to this..........the picture on the front looked like a grim reaper photo op! I shoved it in my tape player and.....

BAM I was an instant Sabbath fan!

While many of the neighborhood kids were wearing red leather jackets with a million zippers all over it and listening to that pediphile, I was wearing jeans with holes worn in the knees with a t-shirt and jean jacket. (jean jacket adorned with patches of all the metal bands of course) and jamming to "the wizard"!

Late 80s early 90s was the prime of my life with awesome music to guide me!

ROCK and or freakin ROLL!

millwalldavey
09-01-2008, 10:47 AM
SABBATH!

Dude, everyone swars by the Ozzy stuff, but the Dio fronted stuff of the 80s was like a BULLDOZER! Mob Rules and Neon Knights will crush you!

43Hitman
09-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Ahhhh..... this is a great thread.

Metal SAVED the 80s for sure. That decade would have completely sucked without the heavy tunes that would eventually define our youth.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out the ultimate influence to most of the rock bands out there...........

BLACK SABBATH :jammin:

The year was 1983 I was 12 and Michael Jackson was steam rolling radio airplay. Just when I thought I was coming of age in the wrong decade my uncle set me straight. I remember like it was yesterday. He said listen to this..........the picture on the front looked like a grim reaper photo op! I shoved it in my tape player and.....

BAM I was an instant Sabbath fan!

While many of the neighborhood kids were wearing red leather jackets with a million zippers all over it and listening to that pediphile, I was wearing jeans with holes worn in the knees with a t-shirt and jean jacket. (jean jacket adorned with patches of all the metal bands of course) and jamming to "the wizard"!

Late 80s early 90s was the prime of my life with awesome music to guide me!

ROCK and or freakin ROLL!

That was me in a nutshell, Umm... except the pedophile part. But instead of going into the Marines I decided to try and become a rock star. Oh well, it sure was fun tryin'.

:jammin: :tt03:

revefsreleets
09-01-2008, 04:40 PM
I took my shot as well...didn't get anywhere with it, but sure had a lot of fun, and I'm messing around with bands and stuff now because it's still, first and foremost, FUN!

silver & black
09-01-2008, 06:58 PM

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is an epic, kick ass song... one of my favorites.

I've seen Maiden more than any other band... 9 times.

I'm in the minority here, I'm sure, but, I always liked Paul Dianno's voice better than Dickinson's.

silver & black
09-01-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm on Accept: Metal Heart now. Underrated band.

Sadly, I'm falling way behind in my moving...but it IS cool digging this old metal out!

Damn... we have the same taste in music, Accept was/is one my favorite bands. Princess of the Dawn... Flash Rockin Man... Burnin'...:tt03:

millwalldavey
09-01-2008, 07:02 PM
I always loved the early Paul Dianno stuff myself. Funny thing is he was a punk playing with metalheads... i think he lent a faster more aggressive sound to the band. The songs were all shorter and faster paced.

I especially loved the first Iron MAiden disc.

revefsreleets
09-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Just hit you back in the other thread...saw Maiden for Powerslave at the Coliseum.

Dickinson was a lot more distinctive voice, though. I dig that...

revefsreleets
09-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Talk about a distintive voice! Udo Dirkschneider (sp?) was a kick ass metal singer, but he was an ugly and shrimpy eff...looked a little like that gay little pixie the Browns have as a mascot.

silver & black
09-01-2008, 07:08 PM
SABBATH!

Dude, everyone swars by the Ozzy stuff, but the Dio fronted stuff of the 80s was like a BULLDOZER! Mob Rules and Neon Knights will crush you!

Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules were great albums. Sign of the Southern Cross is a killer song. Unfortunately those are the only Sabbath/Dio albums that are good. Dehumanizer sucked.

Classic Sabbath with Ozzy will always win out over the later stuff, though...IMHO.

silver & black
09-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Talk about a distintive voice! Udo Dirkschneider (sp?) was a kick ass metal singer, but he was an ugly and shrimpy eff...looked a little like that gay little pixie the Browns have as a mascot.

His solo stuff is pretty good. It isn't hard to tell who was the driving force behind Accept. After Udo left, they sucked.

revefsreleets
09-01-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm convinced they never got the love they deserved because he was ugly.

millwalldavey
09-01-2008, 09:29 PM
LOL... Udo sounded like Donald Duck kinda. Only Acept song I know is Balls to the Wall. I guess its like their Ace of Spades to the uninitiated.

Preacher
09-04-2008, 08:51 PM
LOL... Udo sounded like Donald Duck kinda. Only Acept song I know is Balls to the Wall. I guess its like their Ace of Spades to the uninitiated.

ROTFL... Donald Duck.

London Leatherboys was a interesting song :noidea:

silver & black
09-05-2008, 04:49 PM
ROTFL... Donald Duck.

London Leatherboys was a interesting song :noidea:

Indeed. It was rumored that Udo was, shall we say... in the same mold as Rob Halford.

millwalldavey
09-06-2008, 11:28 AM
It's always been rumored that Rob and Freddy Mercury were *ahem* in cahoots...

Its all a trick question... LEMMY IS GOD!

silver & black
09-06-2008, 06:02 PM
It's always been rumored that Rob and Freddy Mercury were *ahem* in cahoots...

Its all a trick question... LEMMY IS GOD!

Lemmy rules! Motorhead is an icon of rock. :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
09-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Just watching an old "Young One's" and there was Lemmie busting out "Ace of Spades".

millwalldavey
09-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Just watching an old "Young One's" and there was Lemmie busting out "Ace of Spades".

NICE!!!! I have the whole series and that was really the only good musical performance.

revefsreleets
09-06-2008, 07:50 PM
I love The Damned and Madness, so I enjoyed those two as well.

millwalldavey
09-06-2008, 07:53 PM
When Madness did 'our house' and it became a street riot was a good episode.

revefsreleets
09-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Young One's is vastly underrated...Hell, 95% have never even heard of it.

millwalldavey
09-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I remember being like 6 when MTV used to show it late night in like 1982.... I remembered the quiz show all those years until i saw it again when I was like 16.

silver & black
09-06-2008, 09:02 PM
I remember being like 6 when MTV used to show it late night in like 1982.... I remembered the quiz show all those years until i saw it again when I was like 16.

1982 huh? I was already out of High School for 4 years in 82...lol.

millwalldavey
09-06-2008, 09:44 PM
well... 82 i wouldda ben 7 i guess...

revefsreleets
09-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I was 13...the Young One's should run for President. They cross demographic and fan lines...