PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to cutdown day

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-30-2008, 04:32 AM
Countdown to cutdown day
By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Saturday, August 30, 2008 12:46 AM EDT

PITTSBURGH — Contrary to what coach Mike Tomlin said after Thursday night’s preseason game, the Steelers did not announce any roster cuts Friday.

Instead, Tomlin will announce those cuts today, the final cut-down as mandated by the NFL.

“We have some critical decisions to make with our football team,” Tomlin said.

Right now, the Steelers have 76 players on their roster. They must be down to 53 today.

One of those 76 is linebacker Arnold Harrison, who’ll go on the season-ending injured reserve list after tearing a knee ligament in Thursday’s 19-16 win over Carolina.

Another of the 76 is wide receiver Marvin Allen, who will remain with the team as a practice squad player as part of the NFL’s international development program. Allen is from England.

Two other players — quarterback Charlie Batch (broken collarbone) and linebacker Mike Humpal (stinger) — will likely receive injury settlements and be placed on the waived/injured list. If that is the case, Batch and Humpal might rejoin the Steelers once they recover from their injuries.

After deciding what to do with Batch and Humpal, the Steelers must make 19 more cuts.

Because of salary-cap considerations, Tomlin didn’t rule out the possibility of a veteran being released.

“It always does,” Tomlin said of the salary cap affecting the Steelers’ cuts. “Ultimately, you hope that it is not the deciding factor because you like to make decisions because of performance.

“But (the cap) is something you acknowledge because it does exist.”

Some of the cuts figure to be easy. Others, as Tomlin suggested, will be tough decisions.

Among the players on the bubble are:

* Wide receivers Willie Reid, Dallas Baker and Eddie Drummond.

* Center Sean Mahan, tackle Tony Hills and center/guard Darnell Stapleton.

* Tight end Dezmond Sherrod and Lee Vickers.

* Defensive linemen Nick Eason, Ryan McBean, Scott Paxson and Orpheus Roye.

* Linebackers Andre Frazier and Donovan Woods.

* Defensive backs Tyrone Carter, Roy Lewis, Ryan Mundy, Grant Mason and Anthony Madison.

* Punters Mitch Berger and Paul Ernster.

“Most of the time, it comes down to three to five tough decisions that are made at the 11th hour,” Tomlin said. “I think that will be the case this time around.”

On Sunday, the Steelers will assign eight players beside Allen to their practice squad.

Typically, most are players who don’t survive the final cut.

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/08/30/sports/steelers/doc48b8d01287ede719575376.txt

redst3
08-30-2008, 05:26 AM
Drummond, Ernster and Mahan should go....though I have not yet seen the Panthers game...

GBMelBlount
08-30-2008, 06:46 AM
I'm interested in Baker and Reid. I think Baker has shown some progress. Reid has potential but his time may be running out imo. I had high hopes for Reid....He was a good returner.....in college.

As far as Mahan, Hills & Stapleton...at this point, the more warm bodies on offense the better.....right? Who knows what this year, or next year will look like. *shrug*

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-30-2008, 06:51 AM
I'm interested in Baker and Reid. I think Baker has shown some progress. Reid has potential but his time may be running out imo. I had high hopes for Reid....He was a good returner.....in college.

As far as Mahan, Hills & Stapleton...at this point, the more warm bodies on offense the better.....right? Who knows what this year, or next year will look like. *shrug*

If they dont have plans for Hills...I am seriously worried about the O-Line next year. Without some hope of Hills becoming the dominant tackle he was before his injury....and with the potential loss of Smith...Starks...Colon....We may be in some serious trouble.

I think Hills HAS to be in the FO's plans to see serious playing by the end of this year.

I also have to think that Reid may have and edge over Baker...but I guess we will wait and see.

43Hitman
08-30-2008, 07:13 AM
So the cuts have to come today, anytime before midnight?

Galax Steeler
08-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Drummond, Ernster and Mahan should go....though I have not yet seen the Panthers game...

I agree with Drummond, Ernster but I think Mahan will still be around.

lilyoder6
08-30-2008, 09:25 AM
y keep mahan when stapeton can play center and guard.. if darnell is as good as evryone is sayiing to be a back-up save some money by getting rid of mahan

19ward86
08-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Dont be dumb and release Stapleton or Hills.