PDA

View Full Version : Rudi Johnson and Willie Anderson Cut

CantStop85
08-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Agent: Rudi cut
August 30, 2008

Updated: 2:30 p.m.
Even though he returned to practice last week, the Bengals apparently decided they hadn't seen enough of the new and improved Rudi Johnson this summer and cut the man projected to once be their bell-cow running back in 2008.

Peter Schaffer, his agent, said Saturday from Denver, "That's what we've been told."

The Bengals are expected to announce their cuts at head coach Marvin Lewis' 3 p.m. Saturday news conference.

"We want to keep this positive," said Schaffer, who negotiated a five-year deal for Johnson that had two years left. "Obviously we got wind they were moving in a different direction when (ESPN) reported they were trying to trade him. We think Rudi's got plenty of football left and we're going to look for the best situation for him."

Johnson's release, which first surfaced on ProFootballTalk.com Saturday afternoon, appears to leave the Bengals with three running backs in Chris Perry, Kenny Watson, and DeDe Dorsey. Lewis, showing some impatience with Johnson's lingering hamstring problem, made Perry the starter a few weeks ago.

It may not be a John McCain-sized gamble, but it's a gamble just the same for the Bengals. They have basically exchanged one of their most durable running backs of all time for one of their most fragile in Perry.

But the Bengals must also think it's a gamble to keep Johnson after basically no training camp, a stretch during which Lewis has harped on the importance of practicing.

Johnson, who turns 29 in a month, hurt his hamstring in the first week of camp and never played in a preseason game during a curious August the Bengals reportedly tried to trade him.

Perry, who has been healthy for an entire season only once in his five NFL seasons, practiced nearly every day and while he only averaged 3.1 yards per carry in the preseason, he was able to carry 39 times for the most active four-game stretch of his career.

But before he hurt his hamstring last year and was limited to 2.9 yards per his 170 carries, Johnson had made his mark as a relentless inside runner supplying first-down reliability. From 2004-2006 he led the NFL in carries and twice set the Bengals' season rushing record after taking over for Corey Dillon late in the 2003 season. He also has three of the four busiest seasons by a back in Bengals history, topped by his 361 carries in 2004.

Still, Johnson claimed earlier this week that the Bengals have been trying to get rid of him ever since they drafted him out of Auburn in the fourth round in 2001. And there were some grumblings about his inability to hit the home run.

Since 2006 he has averaged 3.5 yards per carry and hasn't had a run longer than 22 yards in 29 straight games and a run longer than 33 yards in 48 straight games.

Throw in Johnson's hamstring problems and their inability to see what he can do, and it appears the Bengals weren't going to spend $3.5 million this season on Johnson's salary to find out.

One slim option is they could re-sign Johnson at a lower rate.

Could one landing spot be Miami? While head coach of the Cowboys, Bill Parcells expressed interest in Johnson amid a flurry of Dillon trade rumors in 2003.

The Bengals figure to save about $3 million on the salary cap with the move.

He'd sure look good in the B&G for vet minimum. :flap:

stlrtruck
08-30-2008, 01:49 PM
He'd sure look good in the B&G for vet minimum. :flap:

He'd probably acutally perform up to his potential then :flap:

CanadianSteel
08-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Na I'd pass.... like the current RB's o our roster...

St33lersguy
08-30-2008, 02:46 PM
What running backs do they have left.

:sign09:

CantStop85
08-30-2008, 02:49 PM
You guys might actually be interested in this one:

Willie Anderson: Bengals just cut me
Posted by MarkCurnutte at 8/30/2008 3:24 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Bengals right tackle Willie Anderson has been released by the Bengals.

"They wanted me to take a pay cut," Anderson told The Enquirer. "I wouldn't do it."

stlrtruck
08-30-2008, 04:29 PM
You guys might actually be interested in this one:

"They wanted me to take a pay cut," Anderson told The Enquirer. "I wouldn't do it."

Isn't like the Steelers have cap room. Besides it would take too much time to get that "bungal" mentality out of his head.

43Hitman
08-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Isn't like the Steelers have cap room. Besides it would take too much time to get that "bungal" mentality out of his head.

I hear ya man, but he would be a good addition. Regardless of the colors he has worn, he is a solid o-lineman. And we all know we could use a few more of those.

Kaeg
08-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Anyone think we should go after him? Maybe we could use the help on our line. I know the whole "somebody else's reject" thing, but maybe in this case someone else's may be better than some of what we have.

My bad. I searched forum with Willie Anderson as key word, and didn't see this thread. Sorry for redundant thread.

Steelman16
08-31-2008, 01:11 AM
:noidea: Is Willie Anderson better than Colon or Starks? If he's just a clone of either, it's not worth the money. Besides, we probably can't afford him anyway.

LambertIsGod58
08-31-2008, 05:13 AM
I'd pass on Johnson. If he can't make the Bungles with what they have at RB, he would definately not make it here.

MDSteel15
08-31-2008, 07:07 AM
If we get rid of Mahan and one of the other retards we haveI'd like Anderson on the line. He's done a good job protecting Carson's pretty arse.... LOL

Galax Steeler
08-31-2008, 08:18 AM
I wouldn't want Rudi let him go to some other loosing team as for Anderson it might not be a bad pickup if we could afford him.

NJarhead
08-31-2008, 08:21 AM

Not a smart move by the Bengals.

Glace
08-31-2008, 08:57 AM
Rudi Johnson, from what I heard, has been injured...but when he's been in there, he just isn't showing the coaches anything. They're really dissatisfied with his effort.

Plus, Perry isn't a bad running back and has looked good in preseason. So they had him to fall back on.

Willie Anderson isn't the tackle that Kimo beat and pulverized Palmer's knee is it? I don't want him....lol

CantStop85
08-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Rudi Johnson, from what I heard, has been injured...but when he's been in there, he just isn't showing the coaches anything. They're really dissatisfied with his effort.

Plus, Perry isn't a bad running back and has looked good in preseason. So they had him to fall back on.

Willie Anderson isn't the tackle that Kimo beat and pulverized Palmer's knee is it? I don't want him....lol

No, that was Eric Steinbach, the current Brown. :chuckle:

Edman
08-31-2008, 09:47 AM
But Chris Henry gets a big fat contract and is named team captain for doing pretty much nothing except embarrassing that organization.

Looks good on them.

millwalldavey
08-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Not a smart move by the Bengals.

LOL... you expected a smart move from them?

millwalldavey
08-31-2008, 10:55 AM
But Chris Henry gets a big fat contract and is named team captain for doing pretty much nothing except embarrassing that organization.

Looks good on them.

See above! What do expect from this embarrasment of an organization?

verks36
08-31-2008, 11:43 AM
i wouldnt mind picking up anderson to a 1 year deal

rudi is officially done... Wow one day a running back could be great the next getting cut

verks36
08-31-2008, 11:45 AM

Looks good on them.

ya lol cutting two model citizens who never get introuble and do that

RoethlisBURGHer
08-31-2008, 01:18 PM
ya lol cutting two model citizens who never get introuble and do that

It's the Bungle way.

I hear if Carson Palmer doesn't get a DUI before this time next year, he's gone.

The again, if I were Palmer I would've started drinking the second I signed the contract with the Bengals.

steelreserve
08-31-2008, 02:02 PM
:noidea: Is Willie Anderson better than Colon or Starks? If he's just a clone of either, it's not worth the money. Besides, we probably can't afford him anyway.

Seems to me like he's at least a dependable veteran, while Starks and Colon are neither dependable nor veterans. Anderson was making something like $3 million a year ... and I'd rather have him for $3 million than Starks for $7 million.

Johnson, who the hell knows. If Mendenhall can't fill the role of power-rushing bruiser when we need him to, then Johnson could be a great role player that way. But I don't see us keeping 6 RBs on the roster.

Tankus_Maximus
09-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Johnson would be suited for our practice squad...but that's about it.

So much for that comparison to the Bus!
A closer comparison would've been comparing Rudi to Deuce.

Havik
09-01-2008, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't mind picking up Willie Anderson for a one-year contract. He could provide a temporary fix at RT. Lets face it, Willie Colon is not the answer.

revefsreleets
09-01-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm officially downgrading the Bengals win count this year to 4. It was a nice, what? one and half year run? Now another 20 of losing seasons.

There is some good news...maybe they'll sell that POS franchise and move it to LA. We could add the Bills to the AFC North.

Tankus_Maximus
09-02-2008, 08:32 AM
LA might be in need of a football team, but I think its safe to speak for the community when I say, "OH HELL NAW!" to the idea of the Bungles comin to LA.

We'd rather go another 10 years without football than be saddled with that franchise of losers.

Thanks but no thanks, the Bungles are fitting where they belong, Cincy aka: The Armpit of America

I'm officially downgrading the Bengals win count this year to 4. It was a nice, what? one and half year run? Now another 20 of losing seasons.

There is some good news...maybe they'll sell that POS franchise and move it to LA. We could add the Bills to the AFC North.

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Can you imagine the Bugal felons running the mean streets of LA? Think of all those thousands of "Gentleman's Clubs" for them to frequent.

I think it'd be a great fit!

Tankus_Maximus
09-02-2008, 08:55 AM
The local authorities would have to call in the National Guard for backup, if those thugs ever relocated here :tt02:

Can you imagine the Bugal felons running the mean streets of LA? Think of all those thousands of "Gentleman's Clubs" for them to frequent.

I think it'd be a great fit!